Most annoying units

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Most annoying units

This topic contains 43 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Nodor 7 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

jennaiel

My votes
    1) wisp
    2 wisps just teleport attack a guarding hero trigger backlash which triggers static shield.Next turn hero gets flanked to death. Now I am more careful .Click the wisp to see its tele range.Send 1 sturdy unit to to teleport range to tempt them .Then send the rest of the forces . But they are still annoying 16hp tier 1 little critters which punch way above their weight.Particularly bad when I have physical damage units and sorcerer heroes.

2) Hunter spider baby:
    Continuing the hatred of tier 1’s. Same thing as wisps. 2 of them teleport to units and get the 30% something chance to net successfully.Next turn you have to throw all at them hoping to either kill them or waste their action points. Very easy to lose units to bad luck especially when they have 2/3 other spiders in the stack like some quests.

3)Phantasm warriors:
    If you have right damage type , a normal melee unit.If you have only shock , physical a horror unit. Sure its slow ,and has no disables. But it can kill almost any unit if it gets 3 hits in thanks to inflict shocking and is tanky as hell. Two phantasm warriors side by side is horror to destroy ,you can’t even easily waste their action points either.

4)Lich/Lich kings
    You encounter them in dungeons . Same issue as phantasm warriors but these things can life steal as well. You can easily lose a probable/very like victory in these dungeons. Just lose one unit ,reincarnating as ghoul and it starts a chain reaction killing everything. You can easily misjudge these dungeons in greed(past experience :|).
    Now I go only with a combination of spirit damage,high medal units ,2nd tier/3rd tier units.

5)Flamers:
    Nasty tier 1 archers in those magma forges. Your units are slow , cursed . They are surrounded by walls and narrow entrances. Need very careful planning/positioning to go in and avoid as much damage as possible

6) Engineers:
    Another annoying tier1 annoyance in those forges. They blind your ranged unit and when your slow units come close they blunderbuss something which does huge huge damage on choked units. Really annoying damage for a tier 1.

7)Lost souls:
    Another tier 1. They either kill my scouts or keep following it to kill it. My scout is not even safe in water. They crawl into my city in back defended with 1/2 units and take/almost take it.

8) Boats :
    This was in campaign but I don’t know whether AI produces boats normally. My 4 high level leader flying stack which was annihilating armies and even mystical dungeons got destroyed by 6 tier 2 boats something. They do seriously ridiculous damage with high hp and good defence.

9)Exploding units:
    Very annoying when you mobbed that royal guard and it dies in a blast of glory killing/ seriously injuring your units.

So what units annoy you whether independents or ai.

jennaiel

Btw these days I see less amount of flamers in those damn forges and less phantasms in nodes.Anything changed?

my answer is quite simple Lord jennaiel spiders, all kinds of them.

jennaiel

my answer is quite simple Lord jennaiel spiders, all kinds of them.

Haa spiders. Annoying critters.I like when I have spiders on my side though .As druid I summon them and go out of my way to convert them to my cause particularly the hunter variety. Even tier 4’s are easy to kill once your spider webs them.

Haa spiders. Annoying critters.I like when I have spiders on my side though .As druid I summon them and go out of my way to convert them to my cause particularly the hunter variety. Even tier 4’s are easy to kill once your spider webs them.

well I just got a few very bad experience with them….

Socratatus

When my scout came across some lost Souls I simply kept them running around the battlefield, using Sprint until the dumb battle Timer said the battle was over. Free win.

Do people really not know this loophole?

jennaiel

Yea I knew it and did it multiple times in a game before I felt bad and decided not to take advantage of ai loopholes. So nowadays , I just do autocombat if my scout gets initiated on by lost souls.

Though I guess you could justify saying that since lost souls are so slow , your units could always escape them.

ExNihil

Dwarf crossbowman, shit unit. Also hatchling.

Hasbulat

I love spiders, and the huter one is the best! I like to play a druid and use to summon lot of spiders in the beginning. My heros and spiders as well gaints levels very fast thanks to the net ability of spiders.

I love the abilityof some units, like spiders to get upgrade tp king size! And I vote for teleporting for snakes as well! 😉

quo

Sphinxes, although I’m not sure annoying is the word. By itself its already a tough unit, for the right class it’s insane. It has MCI, Lesser Flying, and Athletics naturally, plus Sun Disk. It gets Fear Strike on Gold. Dreadnoughts give it Sabotage (15 fire/15 phys x3). You can easily down enemy Juggernauts or Shrines of Smiting in a few hits and the Sphinx has 40% Fire 40% Spirit Protection to help guard against a Shrine’s blast.

Fenraellis

like spiders to get upgrade tp king size

“Queen”, thank you very much… hmph!

NINJEW

Phantasms are god awful. Even as Draconians with Fire Damage, they still consistently kill units in auto. Oh good, my research scroll spawned with 3 god damn Phantasms on top of it, I guess I won’t be getting an early research boost this time

Those Magma Forges that spawn with 1 Fire Elemental on them are the absolute worst. You’re basically straight up guaranteed to lose a unit in autobattle.

Sun Guard are surprising good at killing units too. must be the Guard Breaker.

I HATE SPIDERS!

When did their webbing touch get buffed to a 14 physical check? God gave me hell when these things keep on successfully web my units.

Ericridge

Wisps. They will stun your entire army because you think nah they can’t get lucky again. And they do get lucky and stun you again and again xD

bam65

Any halfling unit because of lucky. Seems like it fires off way more for AI players than human ones.

NINJEW

Any halfling unit because of lucky. Seems like it fires off way more for AI players than human ones.

You obviously have never played against a Halfling Theo doing cloverfield/solace flowers micromanagement

I’ve played against Halfings with a luck chance of 48%

Lord Jennaiel = Ally
    Lord Hasbulat = Enemy
    Lord Fenraellis = Enemy?
    Lord GrassMudHorse = Ally

any more people who want to confess their love for spiders?

jennaiel

Lord Jennaiel = Ally
    Lord Hasbulat = Enemy
    Lord Fenraellis = Enemy?

Well I have a love/hate relationship with spiders.Hate them when I am against them.Then my archdruid hero converts them and love them from then on.

hunter spider and wisp are I think the only tier 1’s which have a chance of defeating a tier 4 by themselves.

Lord Jennaiel = Ally
    Lord Hasbulat = Enemy
    Lord Fenraellis = Enemy?

Well I have a love/hate relationship with spiders.Hate them when I am against them.Then my archdruid hero converts them and love them from then on.

hunter spider and wisp are I think the only tier 1’s which have a chance of defeating a tier 4 by themselves.

Ah thanks for explaining my friend, let me chance my list a bit,

Lord Jennaiel = Ally Ally who need to be backstabbed.
    Lord Hasbulat = Enemy
    Lord Fenraellis = Enemy?

Yigg

I’m going to have to get all these units…heh heh heh

Stormwind

When my scout came across some lost Souls I simply kept them running around the battlefield, using Sprint until the dumb battle Timer said the battle was over. Free win.

Do people really not know this loophole?

Just imagine how long the battle would last without this “dumb” timer! You might not have even posted…you would still be playing that battle!

Gloweye

Love, no. But they have their uses. A wise man once said to know your enemy and yourself, and you won’t have to fear the result of a hundred battles. So should I encounter you across the field you can bet I’ll try and befriend them for just that battle. Stab your enemy at his weakness, and strategy like that.

. A wise man once said to know your enemy and yourself, and you won’t have to fear the result of a hundred battles

you should be carefull with the art of war from Sun Tzu, some thing he said is still applicable but most of it is pretty outdated by now.

about the spiders, I made some squadrons that are anti spider just so that I can slaughter them as easy as possible, they are not really a weakness more a full scale hatred spread out over different kinds of games.

NINJEW

sounds like the honorubu animeu overu lordu has intentionally limited himself in the pursuit of petty goals

very inefficient way to run an empire

Gloweye

sounds like the honorubu animeu overu lordu has intentionally limited himself in the pursuit of petty goals

very inefficient way to run an empire

But sometimes much more satisfying.

about the spiders, I made some squadrons that are anti spider just so that I can slaughter them as easy as possible, they are not really a weakness more a full scale hatred spread out over different kinds of games.

It still means that they’ve got like a free taunt ability.. 😀

As for sun tzu, that quote still applies and it will for as long as war exists. Knowledge about both yourself, your troops and the possibilities therein is required for any measure of success, and you’re going to want to have good knowledge of your enemy, his troops, morale and locations of his troops, in order to be able to defeat him in any close kind of war.

Buczer

Spiders, easily. They tend to kill units i need.

Dagoth Ur

Wisps, Spiders, Cannons and Halflings.

sexilicious

i love the spiders. escpecially the dread kind because fear strike+ Rogue hero in that squad= steamy goodness. but then archdruid is my 1st fav class so i may be abit biased. i really only hate shadow stalkers and “asslings” as we call them amongst my friends.

Wallthing

Gluttons. Gluttons are infuriating before I get my hands on a too-big-to-swallow T4 or very sturdy T3. Hard to melee, almost immune to damage from supports, and I rarely have much ranged physical damage in my stacks by the time I’m willing to clear lost cities.

jennaiel

I want to restate my hatred to wisps.Atleast spiders can web only once. Faced 3 wisps in mana node with some 7/8 units. first wisp teleported to my bait unit and the unit got stunned in retaliation. Next 2 wisps flanked the stunned unit. Bait pikeman unit at half hp.So far so good.Now just have to throw everything at wisps ,destroy them or at the least waste their action points , right? .

I had a mostly melee starting lineup. And every single melee attack resulted in my units getting stunned. All my army sans hero was stunned. Next turn lost the pike and almost got another unit killed. Those damn 16 hp critters.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.