Most Powerful Class Overall?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Most Powerful Class Overall?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  sinobas 4 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

marceror

I realize this is a bit of a loaded topic, but what the heck, let’s discuss.

At the moment I’m leaning toward Arch-Druid as being the most powerful. They have amazing summons and you can have a lot of them, and great, all purpose spells. And since none of their units are machines, healing your army is never an issue. Plus, no requirement for engineers to keep any of your units in the fight.

Key word is “overall”, and overall this class seems to be the most versatile and deadly. Feel free toe disagree or add your own opinions.

Hellstork

I don’t think I’m good enough at this game to comment on who is most powerful, but I think it’s safe to say it isn’t rogues. (Please someone prove me wrong, I really want to play rogue but I’m not sure how ;_; )

MrBasilisk

Shoah there, buddy. You only had to ask it once. 😀

I’m just really finding the sorcerer strong right now, at least against the AI. There are very few things immune to lightning, and being able to stun for a turn enabling flanking attacks on all your support units (Apprentices are crazy good) is really powerful. You don’t even really have to care about your range since hitting three times is optimal for maximum stun chance, and Fairy Fire does at the very least nine damage in this instance to a target with no immunities. Give them Projectile Resistance with that other passive and throw in some summoned units for muscle and I wish your little furry friends good luck. 😉

CrazyElf

Among the small to medium sized maps, I’d say Druid or Mage is the most powerful.

Once you get to the larger sized maps, I think that probably Warlord or Dreadnought is the top class overall.

Jorlox

I really like the rogue, but I think the Dreadnought is pretty powerful.

Garresh

Wait sorcerers have a chance to stun on hit with ranged attacks? My entire thing back in shadow magic was a sickening fascination with frost witches because of their ranged stuns and silly shenanigans. If they get this I’m switching from rogue to sorcerer. I like being tricky but….frost witches!

MrBasilisk

Wait sorcerers have a chance to stun on hit with ranged attacks? My entire thing back in shadow magic was a sickening fascination with frost witches because of their ranged stuns and silly shenanigans. If they get this I’m switching from rogue to sorcerer. I like being tricky but….frost witches!

It’s a researchable passive giving the ability to all support units, not just Apprentices.

Rhaeg

It’s always hard to compare these very diverse classes, plus there is also the fact that some classes synergise extremely well with certain races… is that a class strength then or a race strength?

Anyway, if I had to name one class as strongest, it would be sorceres now, but I’ve heard mana income will be nerfed a lot in the nearby future. At this moment the main advantage of the sorcerer is that you have very potent summons with mana + you can get really nice ranged units with apprentices for gold. Apart from druid, no other class has such a nice way to spend mana on units.

Garresh

silencio39

Just my two cents: I agree that sorcerers and druids seems to me the strongest in small or medium maps, but a dwarven dreadnought is deadly in large maps. Theocrats come really close. Warlords 5th and Rogues 6th on large maps surely.

Well obviously its the iHunterKiller class. My inside sources tell met he devs are currently working on it and that it will easily beat the other classes. Fact.. not fiction.. >.>

At the moment I’m leaning toward Arch-Druid as being the most powerful. They have amazing summons and you can have a lot of them, and great, all purpose spells. And since none of their units are machines, healing your army is never an issue. Plus, no requirement for engineers to keep any of your units in the fight.

Well, that is my favorite class, and it is one of the most powerful, so I say that is cogent analysis. However, you should not underestimate the sheer destructive power of the Sorcerer’s spells and the late game cp advantage:

This means that you can go toe to toe, spell for spell, with every class, win (because of your superior direct damage and great unit enchantments), and then drop an un disjucntable chaos rift (they are out of cp), or two extra chain lightnings, on your enemy.

This is why I would hesitate to give the advantage to a Dreadnought, even in the biggest of maps, over the Sorcerer: There is just no way for massed machines to beat their leader stack.

Also, you should not underestimate the importance of ensuring that you have flying mounts for your heroes 1). before other people, and 2). even if the treasure sites have already been looted/didn’t give out good mounts.

Epaminondas

After over 100 hours now, I’ve still only played Human/Dwarf Theocrat, and I am not sure whether judging by AI success is meaningful. But in my very small sampling of games, AI seems to do best as Dreadnought and Warlord.

marceror

<DIV class=d4p-bbt-quote-title>marceror wrote:</DIV>
    <P>At the moment I’m leaning toward Arch-Druid as being the most powerful. They have amazing summons and you can have a lot of them, and great, all purpose spells. And since none of their units are machines, healing your army is never an issue. Plus, no requirement for engineers to keep any of your units in the fight.</P>

<P>Well, that is my favorite class, and it is one of the most powerful, so I say that is cogent analysis. However, you should not underestimate the sheer destructive power of the Sorcerer’s spells and the late game cp advantage:</P>
    <P>This means that you can go toe to toe, spell for spell, with every class, win (because of your superior direct damage and great unit enchantments), and then drop an un disjucntable chaos rift (they are out of cp), or two extra chain lightnings, on your enemy. </P>
    <P>This is why I would hesitate to give the advantage to a Dreadnought, even in the biggest of maps, over the Sorcerer: There is just no way for massed machines to beat their leader stack. </P>
    <P>Also, you should not underestimate the importance of ensuring that you have flying mounts for your heroes 1). before other people, and 2). even if the treasure sites have already been looted/didn’t give out good mounts. </P>

To be totally honest, Sorcerer is the one class that I haven’t tried yet, so I’m not fully able to appreciate their abilities. I’ve seen some feedback around here that they were underpowered, so I was sort of taking that for granted when I made my post. Was probably a bad call on my part.

They’ll definitely be the next class that I play though. Thanks for the feedback!

Nerdfish

Sorcerer, at least against the computer. Apprentice stunning and chaos rift.

CrazyElf

This is why I would hesitate to give the advantage to a Dreadnought, even in the biggest of maps, over the Sorcerer: There is just no way for massed machines to beat their leader stack.

If it came down to Dreadnought vs Sorcerer, I’d give the advantage to the Sorcerer.

Simply too many units have lightning vulnerability.

darvon

At the moment I’m leaning toward Arch-Druid as being the most powerful.

lol

b0rsuk

You mean other than splitting your army in two and attacking twice in a turn ?

marceror

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>marceror wrote:</div>
    At the moment I’m leaning toward Arch-Druid as being the most powerful.

lol

Productive post. Well done.

terrahero

At the moment i havent played enough to feel as if i can give a well-balanced descision. But for the time being, based on my experience so far, i would have to give the edge to Sorcerer.

Strong units, that are easy to pump out where you need them the most. And mana is almost endless by the time i get to mid-game. Great upgrades and powerful spells that can win battles for you all on their own.
    The ability to get high quality mounts is a big plus aswell. They are incredibly cheap but incredibly powerful.
    I think it was around the 17th turn mark that i had a hero on a Golden Wyvern.

zanarot

Personally, i’ve long written off the sorcerer class. After the basic apprentices, you completely rely on summons. This means casting point limited army growth (and you need to watch CP before a big fight, so you can still cast your big spells). Also, summons are mana/turn instead of gold/turn upkeep, which i find to be limiting army growth much sooner (in terms of army size before you ‘lose’ gold/mana per turn).

The same more or less goes for druid – far too summon focussed.

The Warlord and Dreadnaught can generate units on a per-town basis. So 1 town is 1 unit/turn, 2 towns is 2 units/turn.
    Further, nearly all towns generate more gold than mana per turn, so they can sustain far larger army’s than summon classes.

So in the actual games, they can send in sacrificial army’s with the intention of losing – just kill as much summons as possible, and then sweep in with the real army on the same turn as they can produce more and faster. Bonus is that they cannot cast spells, if they do then your main army gets it even easier on the 2nd fight that turn.

Overal as such i’d say dreadnaught and warlord any day over sorcerer or druid.

The only opening i can see for sorcerer/druid is extreme rushing. Rush invention T3/T4 and rush to the other castle, summon troops in your army as you go – but due to how long inventions and summoning after it take, you likely will encounter a sufficiently powerfull army to knock you down.

Actually, A Sorceror also has towns you know 😉 and can produce in those towns, so it’s more like:

1 town = 1 unit/turn AND summon something else as well, AND place that summon exactly where you want it in your domain.

With 100 hours in game I’ve spent a decent amount of time with most of the classes (not the druid though, only played the campaign with that) and I have to say the most powerful classes to me are the Warlord and Sorcerer.

Warlord is a total powerhouse from the beginning of the game until the end. Every single one of your units is not only powerful, but is incredibly useful. Berserkers are excellent early infantry that can be aquired as early as 3 to 6 turns into the game. Monster Hunters are overall amazing units that make clearing ruins and fantastic creatures a cake walk. Then, if you manage to get them to elite status their “throw net” is a very high probability snare. Mounted archers, well, nothing really spectacular about them but in the increased mobility and base stats make for a very good archer unit. Phalanxs are just utterly amazing. Proper, powerful pikemen with first strike and the ability to decimate all cavalry and anything flying without even trying. Warbreeds are your basic meattank and wall smasher, big brutes that can take a beating and hit like a freight train. Manticores we all know well.

My best games have all been warlord games. Hit hard, hit fast, and hit constantly.

Sorcerer is my second pick though for all the reasons others listed.

Ztormi

Actually, A Sorceror also has towns you know ;) and can produce in those towns, so it’s more like:

1 town = 1 unit/turn AND summon something else as well, AND place that summon exactly where you want it in your domain.

This. The more I play this game the more I’m starting to wonder if there is any reason not to pick sorcerer. You can mass an effective army so quickly with it. Trying to avoid picking it though, but every game I feel like the game would’ve gone so much better if had picked a sorcerer.

Apart from variety ofcourse.

Edwin

108 hours, all classes, mainly druid, warlord and sorc

my opinion:
    dred>sorc>>war>druid>>theo>rog

Dred: good economy and production early on, extremely powerful and rather tanky units, good spells, best fleet (on water maps it is REALLY important) and spelljammers prevent your cities to get nasty spells, Tier IV does not rely on summoning and IS a best tier IV

Sorc: stun chance on support units, best spells, best summons, horrors is just slightly worse than jugs but rely on summoning, so second place

Warlord: nice units, simple but useful spells, but nothing special. Manticores are good, but not THAT good

Druid: druid’s a joke, srsly. Horned God is awesome (though, he is worse that horror), sure, but everything else is not much. Tier I and II summons are waste of resources and time, hunter is good only for those who lack normal archers (goblins and dwarves), shaman is meh, tier III summon is really good, though. Spells and upgrades are weakest of all IMO

Theo: holy protection and immunity is everywhere, second only to blight protection. And fire is on a third place. And what the main damage source of theocrat? yep, holy and a little bit of fire. Of course, he also have physical damage, so he is not THAT bad. He does have rather amusing units (exalted and shrines) but, they are not nearly as powerful as, say, dred’s or war’s. Healing from almost every unit is nice, and his spells is not so bad, but overall he is mediocre at best

Rogue: now, that’s a hilarious class. First of all, blight damage is the worst of all damage types (unless you REALLY hate elves), and he just loves it. Only two units (stalker and assassin) are not plain horrible, and even they are not that great. They do heavy damage from flank attacks, sure, but dred deals the same amount of damage straight into face and, sometimes, AoE. Theo have the same problem with resistances, but at least he have tanky or resurgent units (and a lots of heal to boot), while rogue enlists nothing but glass cannons (with stalker being rather welcome exception). Maybe i am wrong and just don’t know how to play him, but to me he seems to be weaker than everybody in every aspect

Danceofmasks

It depends a lot on your race & specials, as well as game modes, too.
    Been playing empire building flow, and goblin sorcerer with expander is crazy fast.
    You rush. Fight, fight, fight, summon on heroes, keep on fighting.
    The initial army is expendable. In fact, you want to sacrifice some (to decrease upkeep) getting you up to 435 gold within a few turns.
    Rush your builder’s hall, housing until you have enough pop, then rush your settler.
    Make cities as bloody fast as possible – mana turns into units. Money turns into cities.

You don’t compare tech on an equivalent level.
    Having a stronger early game = having more cities, money, mana, research, and levels.

If you don’t have tier 4 at least twenty turns before your opponent does, you’re probably playing sorcerer wrong.

Lord Wolfe

Warlord Class paired with specialties boosting Irregular troops (including the latest DLC’s) such as Partisan, Explorer, etc, allows the WL’s Monster Hunters to gain movement on par with a fully grown Kraken, but on land.. Now give it a warlord hero leading the army with ranged, defense, and melee commands.. You’ve buffed all of their innate stats by +1, their troops are stupid cheap with all of their spells/passives, and quite effective as any that die can be replaced at elite rank given the WL’s Age spell makes all produced units and current units on the strategic map belonging to him Elite Units. This does not count his Warbreeds which have regrowth, or his manticore riders which are flying units on par with human knights, or even his 2+ other units to add diversity to your armies.

Sorceror Class with no specific specialties, is severely powerful as with their age spell they can cast all spells at half cost.. Meaning they can disintegrate entire armies using spells like lightning storm 6+ times in one strategic map turn, or summon entire armies next to their hero who is sieging your capital simply as reinforcements, they can summon up to 2 eldritch horrors per turn if your empire is built for it, and be ready to summon 6 phantasm warriors the very next turn and when you attempt to retaliate against their cities you have to wade through 16 lightning damage per turn because of their glyphs being unable to cast spells in that cities domain due to the aura on the city, yes, you could disjunct these spells.. but do you truly not think they will be right back there the very next turn?

Theocrat Class is one of the most difficult classes to use, but used right, you can convert entire armies to your side to be used against your enemies, you can smite units with 30 damage of holy, lightning and fire damage from the relics, you can make entire cities unhappy because they’ve been excommunicated, which in turn affects the enemy army, which if they don’t have happiness through the roof, will fumble most of their attacks in the coming battles, they can send their supports to the front line because the martyrs in the back are taking all the hp damage, letting more supports heal the damage done while safely behind the castle walls, their age ability completely decimates any army through attrition, taking away your ability to heal naturally and giving the enemy units 80% weakness to holy, which might I add is their number one attack type?

Rogue class can tie in with the Warlord on specialties taking the same bonuses to their irregular units and after leveling a bit, the irregular units known as scoundrels will become lesser shadow beings which I believe have the phase or the shadow variant that is shorter ranged, allowing them to get those gut shots from behind, and once you get the planar gate they get access to the succubi and the ability to create as a normal unit the fully matured shadow being who hasn’t lost any of its luster, without an army that has true sight they can hide their armies quite easily amongst their own lands or yours for that matter, they can inflict several debilitations on your cities that level the playing field, including draining your cities gold income by 40% increasing theirs by 5%, or they could just straight up get money for every unit killed on the strategic map, or instill spy networks in your cities revealing a 7 tile circle around each city, knowing exactly where to strike, exactly when to move, exactly when to hide. the Rogue is all about giving the player advantages, how they use them depends on their tactical ability though

Dreadnaught Class is one I haven’t done much with, but I do know their musketeers are quite powerful and their end tier units are damn near unstoppable.. other than that blank spaces in my mind ^_^’

Arch-Druid are like.. Sorceror in their ability to summon pretty powerful units, especially their Horned God.. that thing is horrifying, but what really comes into play is their ability to make basic archer units (tier 2 units..) on par with tier 3-4 with equal upkeep costs, their ability to be anywhere at any time with their hunters and shamans, or to turn random summoned animals into a tier stronger variant by unleashing the animalistic instincts of them is just purely dreadful… but most of all id say is their tier 6 combat spell that summons 2+ units of animals onto random tiles every turn in combat for 7 turns, ive seen up to 5 units summoned in one turn.. it will definitely turn the tides quickly..

My friend always plays the necromancer and I’m linking him to this page so ill leave it to him to tell its qualities ^_^

however IMO the Theocrat is the most powerful, it has swept aside my civilization many times no matter who I was and what I brought to the fight, it simply killed or converted everything… its like the friggin necromongers from Riddick…

anywho, I hope my descriptions of abilities helps you all ^_~

sinobas

I think those who say the Sorcerer class isn’t powerful have never used apprentices with stun. Apprentices will stun the units with their ranged attack more often than not, making them easy pickings for whatever melee unit you have in your army.

You can also summon Phantom Warriors early in the game, which have 60% physical resistance. Summoning is a great way to build your forces, because in general mana is much more plentiful in the game than gold. You can also summon the unit right next to a hero.

Anyway, I’d say Druid is the most powerful class. Just because you’ve got 3 great units. High Elf Hunters early in the game, Shaman which have entangling attack, and of course, Horned Gods.

My raking would be Druid, Sorcerer, then Warlord as the 3 best classes.

notme

Sorcerer has highest endgame potential – you can make Fire Nation with them.
    Use Master Fire + something else as specialization – You can halve mana consumption and use Master Fire ultimate spell.
    Gather multiple Dreadnought heroes and give them skills so they can use destabilized mana core bomb.

If enemy is fireproof… well then it may be harder, but still some fireproof units are T3 – T4.

sinobas

I’ve always had the most success as a druid. Once you get a stack of Horned Gods going, that level up, they will just sweep up the board and defeat the best of what any other class has to offer.

If you play as high elf, the hunters are one of the best early units in the game.

Sorcerors are 2nd in my book, due to apprentice stun, phantom warriors as an early game summon, and age of magic. I think summoning classes have an advantage, because you can plop down a powerful unit wherever you have a hero.

Late in the game, this is a big deal, because of the time it takes you to create a unit in a border city, and move it to where it’s needed can take several turns.

One class I’ve never tried is Necromancer, so can’t speak to that. But I think the weakest class is actually Warlord. The problem is, all the other races just have stuff that is targeted towards defeating run of the mill melee troops. Entangle (druid), stun(sorceror), physical protection (shadow stalkers rogue), machines(dreadnaught) convert etc…

I’ve never come close to winning a game on emporer with Warlord.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.