MP Lobby [Feature Requests]

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions MP Lobby [Feature Requests]

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Charlatan 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

jb

Hello all.

I love AoW3. The game is so good and it continues to improve.

In the spirit of improving the game I have some feature requests for the Multiplayer lobby. I am asking kindly, this is a wish list not a set of demands. My background comes from the game Battle for Wesnoth, so I’m going to borrow heavily from their mechanics.

MP LOBBY FEATURE REQUESTS
    1. Add chat function to the lobby screen, to help players arrange games and meet other players.
    2. Show a list of players currently logged into the lobby. There is no sense in trying to host a 2v2 game if there are only 2 players in the lobby.
    2a. Color code the list of players to indicate weather they are in a game or in the lobby.
    3. Indicate which players are within each specific game. Example, oh my friend Bob_The_Mighty is this game, I want to join that game and play with my friend.

IN GAME FEATURE REQUEST
    4. Allow players to observe a game, even if they are not playing in that game. i.e. Let players watch others play. This one is probably a bit more tricky to implement as it would require new syncing. I cannot stress how much value this has added to the Wesnoth gameplay experience. Essentially, it allows you to hang out with your friends online. Or it allows you to learn from others. An intimidated newbie can watch and learn…thus becoming more comfortable jumping into MP.

<See attached pics> This is my first attempt to attach pictures, so i hope I do it correctly.

cheers,
    jb

jb

-Additionally, when hosting a game the cursor in the chat line is flashing. A flashing cursor typically indicates ‘ready to type’. It doesn’t work this way…even though the cursor is flashing you still need to click on the chat line to enter chat.

jakjak

I second or well third the proposed additions

NuMetal

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    2a. Yes.
    3. Yeah, why not.
    4. OH GOD, YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Fenraellis

My only concern is with the Observer mode, as it would seem all too easy for an observer to contact a friend of theirs in the game and tell them what their opponents are doing. Especially if they are actively in a real time chat service. No matter how much someone espouses it wouldn’t happen, someone would do it.

Taykor

Observer mode should be protected with a password, at least optionally.

jb

Hi, sorry to bump my own thread but I was hoping for a Dev response. Specifically for Observer mode.

There is currently a very cool tournament in progress, but we can’t watch any of the games.

To quote myself:
    4. Allow players to observe a game, even if they are not playing in that game. i.e. Let players watch others play. This one is probably a bit more tricky to implement as it would require new syncing. I cannot stress how much value this has added to the Wesnoth gameplay experience. Essentially, it allows you to hang out with your friends online. Or it allows you to learn from others. An intimidated newbie can watch and learn…thus becoming more comfortable jumping into MP.

There is currently a very cool tournament in progress, but we can’t watch any of the games.

*blushes*.

There is a way around this, but it is imperfect. Players stream their games live. If you get both players doing it, you watch the game live. It is a mind bender looking at 2 screens at once, but being unable to interact with them, and watching people slide by each other.

Teehon

I want to bump the thread and ask the Devs (since I know they read all the topics):

Are any improvements to the MP side of the game planned? I mean, you spend quite a lot of effort to try and make the game balanced; with no proper MP support it seems like a lot of effort wasted.

Well there is PBEM coming in the expansion because there was a very vocal group on the forums clamoring for it.

So that is something?

Not exactly going to bring in droves of excited new people with 1980s era multiplayer but it is definitely something we didn’t have before.

Thariorn

So that is something?

To be fair, PBEM was planned since the beginning, at least judging by the already existing PBEM-Folders in the /mydocuments/ directory

Charlatan

Allow me to add:

5. Observers should be able to chat to each other – an ability I find sorely lacking in some other games!

Logically, this chat should not reach players, basically everyone will be against that I reckon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.