Naga's?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  JeanLucPicard 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Slayer

Will there be naga’s? If so will it be a unit or whole selection of troop types?

Talk about a random question.

There were no nagas/snake people in AoW/2/SM but I wouldn’t mind seeing some. They were my favorite unit in HoMMIII. 🙂

Kane

Gladly aow 3 is a massive game with many creature buildings so i think there will be a unit for ur appetite too… 🙂

Knight9910

JeanLuc, that looks more like a marilith then a naga. Still pretty cool though.

It would be cool to see naga in the game, but I don’t know that they could spin them into an entire race.

It’s the Naga Queen from HoMM3.
    Both the Naga (base unit) and the Naga Queen (upgrade) had those 6 arms in HoMM3.
    I know the Marilith only from D&D/AD&D. Does it exist also in other games outside of the D&D universe?

Knight9910

The Marilith also appears in Final Fantasy I.

So unless there is some uniform, generally accepted definition of how a naga looks like, I guess we may say that 3DO maybe drew some inspiration from H3/FF1 and created a cool-looking naga unit.
    There seem to be all sorts of naga around classical Indian mythology, only snake body, half snake half human, partly upper part snake, partly lower part snake, multiple heads, as well as in games. One of the most recent entries (Heroes 6) had them have two pairs of arms.

Naga race sounds interesting, maybe too similar to a lizardmen race?

Knight9910

Honestly, they can make them look like flying piglets if they want. It’s just a bit unusual to see a creature that you recognize as one thing being referred to as another. It’d be like adding Cthulhu to the game and calling him the Kraken.

Anyway, I still feel like nagas would be better suited to be a single unit for another race, like Lizardmen or something. Incidentally, does anyone know why the Lizardmen were removed from AoW2? Were they too similar to the Draconians or something?

11balanced

Races now don’t have monster insertions like previously, so naga can inhabit some monster dwelling, may be together with other sea creatures…

The fact that one or a few individuals think that something they see looks like something they have seen before or know under a certain description doesn’t make that thing automatically the same thing they had seen before or precludes that it is something else or similar.
    That Cthulhu and flying piglet “example” of yours is just so way off it hurts a properly functioning brain.
    At last, a marilith, when we go back to AD&D where it has been defined first, is a demon while the unit in HoMM3 is certainly not.

Knight9910

*sigh* Ignoring Stupendous…

Races now don’t have monster insertions like previously, so naga can inhabit some monster dwelling, may be together with other sea creatures…

Oh yeah, I seem to recall hearing that somewhere before now that you mention it. I think it was in reference to Goblins no longer getting the Kharagh or Troll units.

11balanced

does anyone know why the Lizardmen were removed from AoW2? Were they too similar to the Draconians or something?

The devs never commented on this, I mean on racial set of AoW-3 )) But I think 2 reptilian races of 6 total could be too much. Still I hope Lizards will be back with some DLC or expansion 🙂 They are an aquatic race while Draconians are related to fire – so they are quite different.

For their removal from AoW-2 – there was some lore-based explanation, but I don’t now it.

Point being was, you said that the HoMM3 Naga Queen unit would look rather like a marilith and not a naga. I was just questioning by what grounds you were claiming authority to define what a naga is. You failed to deliver anything convincing.
    That’s all. 🙂

Continue proper discussion…

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

Naga’s are on the shortlist for a possible future DLC dwelling. 🙂

Knight9910

Stupendous, I’m not sure what the goal of your stalking me is, but you’ve ceased being funny and now you’re just annoying. Go away.

For their removal from AoW-2 – there was some lore-based explanation, but I don’t now it.

The lore said that they were slaughtered by the Humans, which is why their leader Nimue went to the humans – she pitied them and wanted to mend their destructive tendencies.

But there’s got to be an Out-Of-Character decision behind that somewhere, I feel. If the devs wouldn’t mind terribly, I’d kind of like to know what the reasoning was, and if there is any chance of us seeing them again.

EDIT:

Naga’s are on the shortlist for a possible future DLC dwelling. :-)

Nice!

TheSpeaker

Naga’s are on the shortlist for a possible future DLC dwelling. :-)

Excellent news, thank you 🙂

Knight9910

On further thought, you know what I’d like to see more than Lizardmen returning?

I would like to see the Draconians lose their fire motif. It’s not like fire dragons are the only kind of dragons out there, after all. That way Draconians would be more inclusive.

OT:
    Knigh, I won’t go away until I get something like an apology or a revocation or whatever for accusing me of saying other people are fools when they don’t agree with me. Because what you were accusing me of is totally wrong and unjust and severe and this is not settled just by no longer talking about it or ignoring it.
    I am not here to be fun for you or anybody else, I am here to discuss.
    And if I get insulted by anybody I will see to it that things get settled.

11balanced

I would like to see the Draconians lose their fire motif. It’s not like fire dragons are the only kind of dragons out there, after all. That way Draconians would be more inclusive.

Concluding our discussion I see that you want to make each race (last time Orcs, now Draconians) kind of multipurpose. I’d say it’s a very wrong way. There are humans for that role; others have pronounced specifics which could be limited only by balance reasons. As for me, I wouldn’t care much even on this, and make the races even more specific but the devs seem to keep more balanced policy here.

Knight9910

OT:<br>
    Knigh, I won’t go away until I get something like an apology or a revocation or whatever for accusing me of saying other people are fools when they don’t agree with me. Because what you were accusing me of is totally wrong and unjust and severe and this is not settled just by no longer talking about it or ignoring it.

I’ll admit: you didn’t use the actual word “fool.” Does me admitting that make you feel better? Well, it shouldn’t, because what you actually said was even worse. You claimed that the developers’ choice of how to make class units was a personal insult toward you. You said that the idea that anyone could possibly not find it an insult was “baffling.” Do you really not understand how that makes you sound unreasonable and offensive?

[…]things like orc angels or dwarf angels ARE an insult to me, an aesthetic insult for my eyes and and a rational insult to my conceptual ideas about a believable fantasy world.[…]many others seem to be d’accord with it (which is baffling me, to be honest)

Get it yet? Is that enough of a citation for you? Oh, and hey, look! There’s that word you kept yelling at me about! Many others are in accord with it! But you told me that I was lying when I said that “many others” agreed with it! You demanded that I perform an exhaustive market analysis program to prove that I was telling the truth that you already admitted to!

The bigger thing is, I’ve already explained this to you. I even told you exactly where and how to find the “evidence” to support my accusation that you say you’re looking for. You responded by ignoring it on the grounds that I failed to follow some silly debate procedure that you just made up.

I really wish I could believe that you’re reasonable. I’ve always believed that you can disagree with someone and still respect them, but you are impossible to respect.

You ignore the truth that’s right in front of your face with flimsy pretenses about debate procedure. You whine endlessly about minor offenses, but you think that screaming actual insults like “pathetic” and “idiot” is totally fine. When people disagree with you you start making ludicrous demands for in-depth scientific evidence to support their opinions, but then you treat your own opinions as if they were God’s Own Truth. And now you’re stalking me from thread to thread, turning molehills into mountains to try and get at me.

You’re clearly either trying to be obnoxious for reasons I don’t understand, or you’re an immature child who has no idea how to deal with other human beings.

This is twice now I’ve explained to you why you’re wrong. I’m not doing it again as you’ve already proven you have no interest in listening. If you want an apology, too bad. This is how the world works – if you act like a jerk then you get treated like a jerk. I’m not going to apologize for calling you out on your own rude behavior.

Whatever you do, GO AWAY. I’m done with you. I’ve been done with you for a while now. I have no interest in playing silly little games with you. LEAVE. ME. ALONE. If you can’t do this then I’ll be forced to ask the moderators to deal with you.

Tomipapa

The lore said that they were slaughtered by the Humans, which is why their leader Nimue went to the humans – she pitied them and wanted to mend their destructive tendencies.

Nimue wiped the lizardmen out before the events of AoW 2 not the humans, but i don’t remember why she did it.

Knight9910

Nimue wiped the lizardmen out before the events of AoW 2 not the humans, but i don’t remember why she did it.

Oh, yeah! That’s right, I remember now. The Lizardmen and Humans got into a huge war, Nimue got pissed and wiped out both sides.

Also, I’d like to apologize to the rest of the forum for allowing that mess to be brought to this thread too. I know the proper thing for me to do would be to just ignore the guy, but it’s very difficult when he keeps harassing me.

EDIT: Maybe this will help. Nimue’s wizard description:

Nimue once ruled a powerful race of aquatic lizard folk, but as their numbers dwindled before advancing human hordes, she destroyed them all, decimating human and lizard indiscriminately. Then she saw the fallen sailors and wept. In her agony she vowed to reform the race she despised. Unpredictable as water, Nimue demands complete reverence by all who follow her. Her followers are required to prove their loyalties to her through cruel sacrifice. She is prone to fits of jealousy and is envious of women of beauty. Many a lovely maiden has gone to bathe, only to drown in shallow waters.

Incidentally, with descriptions like that it’s easy to see why AoW3 begins with all of the wizards except a few being wiped out. Most of them were really pretty much jerks…

Look, Knigh, again you misinterpret and twist facts.

“You claimed that the developers’ choice of how to make class units was a personal insult toward you.”

I never claimed so, I said that I find the goblin/orc/dwarven angels an aesthetic insult. Nowhere did I speak of or insinuate any personal malice against me by the devs. I just disgust them and take my right(?) to say so in very direct, harsh words. To make it clear that I dislike them very, very much and that I want to have them changed. No matter how small the chance for that is.

See, if we play by the rules that you are suggesting here, accusing me of saying people are fools when they don’t agree with me, just misinterpreting grossly an opinion that is presented in a very direct way, and failing to provide any evidence, citation or proof, and then not taking it back or apologizing.
    If we play by these rules, what keeps me from saying “well, I can’t give any proof or citation but it is a general feeling and therefore I am saying that you are some member of a true or perceived minority (black, non-white, maybe homosexual)? Which, mind you, is nothing wrong, and I have no proof at all. Or what keeps me from saying “Not only that, but you come across as some paranoid, self-proclaimed, would-be white knight of anti-racism and inclusion who sees things where there are none.”? Which is, again, not bad per se, although I personally think more often than not unnecessary and highly annoying at times. We have some evidence for that if we think about your efforts to take an anti-racism stance in a fictional fantasy game(!) where races/nations fight and kill each other due to racial motives. And by your remark about seeing a Ku-Klux-Klan hood(!) when you look at the crusader unit helmet. I mean, really. Or what keeps me from saying, “well, this is just my opinion, but I think you are a pathetic idiot and asshole.” This is not even something I would have to provide evidence or proof since it is just opinion. But it’s against common human social behaviour and probably also against the forum rules, so nobody say these things.

I ask you again, what keeps us from saying all these things if we play by the rules you are presenting here?
    I want us all to play by clear rules and be accountable for what we say on this forum.
    If we make claims or ad hominem accusations, we have to prove evidence and citations.
    Or take them back. If you accuse me of having said that other people are fools when they don’t agree with me, which I never did, you HAVE to provide evidence or take it back. And not come with some lousy semantical play along the lines of “well, you didn’t really say so but I had the feeling you did.” It’s a misinterpretation of yours. And if you are unable to admit it and take this back, then I DO think you are a pathetic idiot.

It’s disappointing enough that this conflict in the other thread didn’t get moderated.

NEHZ

StupendousMan, can you please not spread this conflict to other threads? Also, it’s not the job of the mods to settle disagreements. There is no full-time mod on this forum, I believe it’s mostly done by the community manager who also has other things to do. He’ll act if he believes things are going to far, not every time when two members of the forum have a disagreement.
    In addition, I expect he only works during working hours on working days.

Knight9910

I do want to point out one thing, though, because I realize that it might have been misunderstood by other readers too: when I pointed out that the Crusader’s helmet looked like a Klan hood, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I wasn’t actually trying to accuse the developers of being racist.

So yeah, that was supposed to be a joke. I guess maybe that didn’t come across right.

jimmy

Guys, you could make this debate last an eternity, but I think the points have been made and it’s no use dedicating 2 more forum pages to it.
    Let’s keep it fun please.

Knight9910

Right. I’m through fighting, I just wanted to say the one last thing to make sure you knew I wasn’t really trying to call you racists. ^^;;

To sum the case of discontent up finally from my point of view:

Knigh, you accused my of the following:
    “You said our opinions were “insulting” and “baffling.”
    If anything “foolish” would have been less offensive then what you actually said.”

What I said was:
    “Goblin/Dwarf/Orc angels are WRONG per se, no matter what colour their wings bear.
    And while many others seem to be d’accord with it (which is baffling me, to be honest), I am sure that others are not.”

So, what I was saying is, in other words, I am surprised others are OK with the units in questions and that I can’t really understand that people do not dislike them.
    But this is miles(!) and so far away from me saying other people are fools because they don’t dislike the units in question and don’t agree with me.

But Knigh accused me exactly of that and he even said that saying what I said would be even worse than saying people are fools. Which is absolutely ridiculous.
    This is so totally wrong and untrue I can’t get my mind around it and I repeat, it’s misinterpretation, twisting or making things up by either by lack of understanding or by malicious intent.

I DO not understand people who are OK with the units in question or indifferent and DO think people that even like them have bad taste and lack aesthetic sense.
    But that’s NOT saying they are fools.

This is what I want to have settled and I want that this accusation is taken back.
    But although the evidence is obvious, you, Knigh, refuse to do so.

As the mods have made it clear, that they won’t help settle this, we have to leave it at that. I have to say I AM disappointed by the moderation regarding that matter because it’s such an obvious twisting of the real situation and I think we should be held accountable for what we say.

meeber

Talk about a random question.
    <P></P>
    <P>There were no nagas/snake people in AoW/2/SM but I wouldn’t mind seeing some. They were my favorite unit in HoMMIII. :) </P>
    <P></P>

Well my AOW:SM game had three types of Nagas of coarse we created them but the art for them is in the game.

meeber

<DIV class=d4p-bbt-quote-title>Knigh9910 wrote:</DIV>
    <P>does anyone know why the Lizardmen were removed from AoW2? Were they too similar to the Draconians or something?</P>

I was able to put lizard men back into AOW:SM but not as thier own race unfortunatly.
    We added them to the the Draconians. We also added other units to the other races to balance everyone out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.