Nerf [removed by SikBok] Sorcery

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Nerf [removed by SikBok] Sorcery

This topic contains 77 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Fenraellis 8 years ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

i realize i can just deathmarch warbreeds and storm the AI’s unprotected cities, but wheres the fun in that? lol

Yes, I’m annoying because I speak common sense to stupid things you say, like the above quoted.

You have been given a literal recipe on how to beat Sorcerers, and you refuse to use it, because it’s not “fun,” and then you are complaining because you are losing…

You.

deserve.

to.

lose.

And for your information, Orc Warlord is one of my favourite combinations, and it is pretty powerful, but you are doubling up on physical damage in exchange for lack of elemental damage and lower resistance.

If you do it right though it will cut through your opponents easily.

Something isn’t unbalanced just because you can’t win any way you choose.

Exactly. You’ve been given very good advice on how to shut down a Sorcerer but you choose to ignore it.,

That’s your choice and your right, but now you are whining that you can’t beat it in a particular, arbitrary way, and trying to persuade us that that is grounds for nerfing.

It most certainly is not, and it makes you the annoying one.

Specifically if they get -1 resistance then there needs to be a skill or something for them not to be allowed to get stun-locked and something that actually you know, encourages aggression

Err…like victory rush, allowing you to regenerate hp from winning a fight? Like extra hp and damage racially? Like Warlord skills allowing you to pump out cheaper units all round, and tougher Cavalry units?

Try mixing in 2 Priests with your stack, and use them to guarantee shutting down an enemy unit, which you then attack.

Pesky

Conclusion: Unless I wanna win the way I want to, I’m not adding a sorcerer AI into my game. Simple as that, really, but the ease of Sorcerer is retarded. I remember playing campaign and basically beating it with 2 heroes.

Pesky

Also I’ve taken notes on how to beat sorcerers for future situations, you don’t need to try and put that against me. Sorry for the fuss, but it sucks that I have to be crippled because I choose to play a certain race.

GL

Gloweye

This really reminds me of LoL…some Bronze IV thinking to be pro cause he got out of Bronze V.

And yes, you might not be able to win the way you wanted to, cause you’re playing the exact way the AI happens to be good against. IMO, this means the AI is well-programmed, if it exploits your weaknesses.

Sorax
    Keymaster

Hi Pesky, Hi Garresh,

@pesky:
    http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/nerf-fucking-sorcery/#post-135610

Since your posts after my 2nd warning (http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/nerf-fucking-sorcery/page/2/#post-135829 and http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/nerf-fucking-sorcery/page/2/#post-135857) still do not follow our forum terms of use (referring to other users as “noobs” is not keeping it nice!), you are now taking a break of 1 week from the forum. Moreover, the content of your profile is inappropriate (http://ageofwonders.com/forums/users/pesky/), we are kindly asking you to change it before your next post on this forum.

@garresh: You seem to like meme-pics, so do I. Still, please have a look on our forum terms of use:
    http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/please-follow-our-terms-of-use/

* Stay on-topic.

Consider this post your second warning, 3rd one will come with consequences.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/aow3-golden-realms-expansion-revealed/page/12/#post-118122

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/aow3-golden-realms-expansion-revealed/page/12/#post-118151

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/nerf-fucking-sorcery/page/2/#post-135862

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Sorax

smeagolheart

So I’d like to say something about the topic.

As someone who would prefer to play rogue or warlord over sorceror I find the weakness of both of those against a Sorceror pretty big.

Chaos storm and you are done. Stunning ranged attack you are done. The static shield thing where you melee something and get stunned? You are done. Sure there’s a “chance” that you won’t get stunned but during the course of a battle realistically you WILL get stunned even on a high resistance unit. People win the lottery on lower odds than there are to get stunned.

Add on top of the the general usefulness to greatness of pretty much every trait and skill and things like the magical mount thing which can be abused and you are pretty much at a huge disadvantage.

Bouh

Chaos storm and you are done. Stunning ranged attack you are done. The static shield thing where you melee something and get stunned? You are done. Sure there’s a “chance” that you won’t get stunned but during the course of a battle realistically you WILL get stunned even on a high resistance unit. People win the lottery on lower odds than there are to get stunned.

Add on top of the the general usefulness to greatness of pretty much every trait and skill and things like the magical mount thing which can be abused and you are pretty much at a huge disadvantage.

There is more than only the tactical scale of the game. The sorcerer is pressured a lot between his spells and his summons, there’s not so much he can do in one turn. On the other hand, the warlord, when late game comes (and late game came if the sorcerer have all this stuff), he can pump out units from every where faster than anyone, and his units are so brutal, you can easily overwhelm the ennemy.

For rogue it’s a lot more tricky, not because it’s really hard but because the rogue is a class that really on tricks and need a lot of time to understand and master.

SaintTodd

For rogue it’s a lot more tricky, not because it’s really hard but because the rogue is a class that really on tricks and need a lot of time to understand and master.

Make a bunch of succubi, spam throw curse,and hope the curses fail – thereby immobilizing the enemy. Seems that simple to me.

Garresh

@sorax

Not sure where to ask this, but I guess here would be appropriate. Was the warning for posting off topic, or for swearing? I ask because in the past, several other forum posters, including myself, have used swearing in a relatively “polite” way for the sake of argument. i.e. “Yeah and stealth commander is a d*** good ability if you get it early”. I’m not really disputing it, cause in retrospect it was out of line. I’m just wondering on the specifics to make sure I understand *why* I’m being warned, so I don’t do it again. And just to be clear, are memes that are somewhat on topic allowed, as long as they’re not inappropriately hostile?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but it seems the best place to ask without trying to start a new thread or try and message you on steam.

Steven Aus

I think it was a warning to cut down on abundant swearing (which I have noticed has been getting a bit too abundant). (I’m not sure if it was just meant as a warning to you, it might have been a warning to everyone.) As you can see from the word removed from the topic title by SikBok. (I wonder if it is possible for them to edit the automatic topic title in the link too.)

Dr_K

@garresh

@Garresh: You seem to like meme-pics, so do I. Still, please have a look on our forum terms of use:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/please-follow-our-terms-of-use/

* Stay on-topic.

The last line is what you are looking for I think. Usually the warning is followed by the bulleted reason(s).

Gloweye

(I wonder if it is possible for them to edit the automatic topic title in the link too.)

if it can, its difficult – it’s this thread identifier in the forum database, sine if a topic has been posted before, you can see a 2 or 3 appear behind it.

Sorax
    Keymaster

@garresh: I have added you on Steam, we can discuss it there.

@dr_k: correct.

Nuramon87

sorax, how can i add you on steam? (cause there is no private message option here -.-)

Sorax
    Keymaster

Post your Steam-name here, I will add you and delete the post with your name afterwards.

terrahero

It seems to me, after reading all this. This topic is merely another discussion where someone expects not just all 42 possible race/class combo’s to be balanced, but even all possible personal playstyle choices and custom settings.

On one side people ask for more and more customization options, and on the other they want stuff to be more and more balanced. And often balance is merely used as a synonym for homogenization.
    But more customization options almost always means less balance. If i start a game with no city founding, im going to have a very different dynamic, and classes and races dont perform the same either.

This is the kind of thread we see pop up every now and again, and its honestly just silly.

Socratatus

It seems to me, after reading all this. This topic is merely another discussion where someone expects not just all 42 possible race/class combo’s to be balanced, but even all possible personal playstyle choices and custom settings.

On one side people ask for more and more customization options, and on the other they want stuff to be more and more balanced. And often balance is merely used as a synonym for homogenization.<br>
    But more customization options almost always means less balance. If i start a game with no city founding, im going to have a very different dynamic, and classes and races dont perform the same either.

This is the kind of thread we see pop up every now and again, and its honestly just silly.

I agree. I am one of the few who do not believe that a good game can balance everything in a simplistic way. Real life is not balanced: some weapons and some armies are just better than others and that is just how it is. But EVERYTHING has a weakness- exploit this. If you as a player has anunbalanced faction, just use extra brains to beat the competition: Ally with neighbours, work on more advancements, hit and run, learn the game, etc, etc, etc.

I find being Warlord using very little magic hard, but eventually, I`ll win.
    No problem can withstand the assault of the human brain.

Fenraellis

I find being Warlord using very little magic hard, but eventually, I`ll win.
    No problem can withstand the assault of the human brain.

The Global Assault of the human brain?

Eh?… Eh?

I’ll step out.

Viewing 18 posts - 61 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.