New character inventory system!

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions New character inventory system!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  NINJEW 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

daniel211288

Welcome to all the users and guests of the forum in my topic!

I’d like to introduce the following development proposal of the Age of Wonders 3 computer game: the inventory items system revision.

I suggest introducing a limitation on classes and races for the most of inventory. For example, make some mounts unique for some races, so that such mounts will be available only for one race. (For example, a unique unicorn, which will be available only for elves.)

Speaking about weapons and armor, the examples may be the following: cloaks will be only for sorcerers; bows, arrows, spears, light shields and light armor will be only for archdruids and so on.

All these things will increase the differences between classes and races and make every character more unique.

Speaking about the technical side of the idea, it may be realized in a simple additional content:
    -Free patch, including major changes, which will affect all the existing inventory in the game
    -Paid content, including other changes, which will take place after the realization of the proposal.

In addition it would be great to add an inventory for machines (special spare parts for golems, special ammunition for catapults or cannons and so on).

I would be really pleased to hear the opinion of the Triumph Studios team members on this proposal.

Thank you very much for your attention to this request!

NEHZ

I really don’t want to find items that none of my heroes can use.

Gloweye

This.

Agreed! And besides, I think it adds a lot of flavor to the game to individualize heros by adding new abilities that seem unfitting for the class.

As for new inventory system: Give us a “I” hot key for opening the inventory of selected heros! I am constantly pressing that key forgetting that it does not work in this game! 🙂

In addition it would be great to add an inventory for machines (special spare parts for golems, special ammunition for catapults or cannons and so on).

Nice idea, but as inventories are only for heros and I think it would be a BAD idea to change that, we would need a machine hero type to make use of those items. A golem hero would be cool though.

Wallthing

No thank you. Limiting most items (that are already randomly generated) to a specific class and race is a lot like making “Sell for gold” the default choice.

The coolest, bestest, awesomemost part of the truly interesting magic items is giving heroes abilities that they could not normally obtain. Taking this idea out back and shooting it is a pretty extreme anti-fun measure in my book.

Very limited inventory (perhaps one item) for non-hero units might be something worth exploring in a future expansion but it would require significant thought before implementation. It could easily become quite broken in combination with MCUs and empire upgrades.

A golem hero would be cool though.

HO!HO!HO!
    THIS!
    I remember someone in the dreadnought skill improvement thread suggested something like this.

NINJEW

hit the nail on the head

Ericridge

A golem hero would be cool though.

HO!HO!HO!
    THIS!
    I remember someone in the dreadnought skill improvement thread suggested something like this.

There is a Golem Hero in Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes XD

daniel211288

I agree with some of your arguments, but you consider this idea basing on the current situation in the game; I suggest a system which will introduce plenty of new items and thus make the game more exciting and diverse.
    I will explain this on an example with mounts. There is a venomous boar, which gives 20% defense from poison. It would be great to add a different mount with similar stats, but what’s the reason, if we already have the boar, available for everyone? With the new system the boar will be unique, for example, for gnomes. And for other classes it becomes reasonable to create different mounts with similar stats (because they can’t use the unique boar).
    And here comes the paid content, the reason for players to pay, something, which is much more exciting to play.
    By the way, it is much more natural to see a gnome on a boar, than a human

Hatmage

We don’t have gnomes. I don’t think Athla has a Paracelsus analogue to invent them. And why, in universe, should any item be class locked? One does not need special training to wear a robe, or a helm for that matter, and even measures like locking swords to certain classes simply limit aesthetic and thematic choices in character design. Furthermore, an abundance in items with similar stats isn’t diversity, it’s more of the same, in the most literal-minded way possible.

And like many others in this thread, I don’t want to loot items I can’t use. And if I were to pay for an aesthetic option relating to mounts, it would have to be the option to detach my leader from the parasitic horse growing out of his crotch, without another mount cropping up in its’ place. And I don’t see the paying for things as making for exciting gameplay, in part because it is not gameplay. Gameplay is playing games, and if those games are good, paying for them is what you do before play rather than during. A game is defined as a series of interesting decisions. If you find microtransactions interesting, you must understand that you are in the minority.

NINJEW

I will explain this on an example with mounts. There is a venomous boar, which gives 20% defense from poison. It would be great to add a different mount with similar stats, but what’s the reason, if we already have the boar, available for everyone?

why would you want to have 2 mounts that are identical statwise

having only one mount with that same set of stats sounds less confusing and more tightly designed

Wallthing

I have no interest in mounts or other items that are merely cosmetic – I can think of a lot of better things for Triumph’s limited modeling resources to focus on. Most of the time the cosmetic aspects of a mount match the purpose or desired feel of the hero pretty well anyway.

Hatmage’s idea is more my speed. Add a ‘Menagerie” building (or option with some other building) to give heroes access to at least low-level mounts without too much trouble.

Again, I’m not interested in multiplying the number of items in the game by the number of races unless you can come up with that many novel items. Rewards being multiplied by the same amount (and then somehow balanced…) to make them useful would be a turn-off too. Keep the rewards concise, keep the items interesting and mostly useful.

BB Shockwave

I am fine with the system as it is. One thing I’d like though, is maybe… dunno, could we get like, “storage chests”? Or some method to store items you want to keep for future heroes but don’t want to drag around in your inventory, taking up space. I don’t like just leaving them in bags in cities. Maybe you could build a Treasury or Vault in your throne city where these can be kept and then sent with a courier to your heroes.
    Heck, maybe a general research could be added too that shortens courier time. Maybe with an optional teleport that costs mana, like in AoW2? By the endgame I usually have too much mana and could easily pay for teleporting the needed items right to my heroes instead of waiting many turns.

The “Vault” would be good for another reason too – easy overview of what items you have. Maybe it could show items equipped by your heroes too. I want easier management to oversee which of my 10 or more heroes still needs a helmet or a better weapon, instead of going to overview and manually clicking each hero and checking their inventory.

Much agreed.

BB Shockwave

Very limited inventory (perhaps one item) for non-hero units might be something worth exploring in a future expansion but it would require significant thought before implementation. It could easily become quite broken in combination with MCUs and empire upgrades.

I never got to that part in HOMMV as I stopped around the boring cliche dark elf Warlock campaign (and I replayed HOMM3 campaigns like… 3-4 times), but the Academy/Wizard class/town had a similar system – you could create artifacts that slightly enhanced the attack/defense/damage of creatures, but each could carry only one. In emergencies you could melt down the artifact in combat and get mana restored from them.
    http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Artificer

This could be a new skill or feature maybe in the future, only useable by say, a new alchemist or wizard class. It should be not that powerful though, more like buildings-skills that come from the explored treasure sites.

cbower

Can we create Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, you just have to spend 3 turns reading from the Book of Armaments before using. Four shalt thou not be necessary.

Mourioche

Something i should like in character inventory is a different slot for leg (for a pant) and foot (for shoes).

Actually if you find a pair of boot and equip your character with, you cannot equip your character with pant because it is the same slot…

NINJEW

they’re big boots

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.