New Modding Tools feature?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support New Modding Tools feature?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eomolch 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Eomolch

Dear Devs,

I don’t know if this is too much to ask for, but I was wondering if a new feature could be added to the modding tools, namely the possibility to translate a skeleton. Right now whenever you want to translate a mesh in the content editor, it will break the animations (or just deform them, depending on the distance and the used skeleton) since the rigging still uses the (“old”) position of the skeleton nodes as a reference (where the mesh used to be before the translation). If we could either translate the skeleton or alternatively move the entire model in the content editor instead of the single meshes that would give us the option to do some more advanced model manipulation.

The same is actually true for scaling, since stretching or shrinking a mesh in one dimension too much causes the same kind of problems. But I am not sure if there would be an equally simple solution for this problem as well.

Best regards,
    Eomolch

• This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  Eomolch.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  Eomolch.

Daniel

Hey Eomolch,

Could you explain a little more for what purpose you are trying to do this. It’s not common practise to translate meshes in contented (for us devs at least). Maybe there are other ways to achieve your end goal?

– Daniel

Eomolch

Hi Daniel,

it is true, it is not exactly something normal to do but neither the first time I’m doing it just the first time that the translation completely screws up the animation.

So what I want to do is to create a centaur unit by using a mounted hero as a basis, removing the lower part of the hero and hiding the head and some portion of the neck of the horse with an opacity map. But to make this work the horse mesh (or the hero meshes, but that would be even more work) has to be translated so that both parts fit together. Now that I come to think about it, this would also work if the mount or rider had an extra offset (and maybe even rotation) option in the unit model entry in the mod editor.

Best regards,
    Eomolch

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by  Eomolch.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.