News from GDC

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions News from GDC

This topic contains 30 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Motasa 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Flenoom

Found this:
    http://www.control-online.nl/gamesindustrie/2013/03/25/gdc-2013-%E2%80%A2-triumph-studios-op-koers-voor-volgende-hit-game/#
    No new information here (if Google Translate don’t deceiving me), but new screenshots and art is AWESOME!

Can someone translate from Dutch?

Flenoom

Piko LV

Oh my… O.O Wow.

NEHZ

Nope, no new information. They’re not mentioning anything in particular. Just the general shape and direction, such as that they were shown a lot of stuff, some of which that wasn’t finished yet. They don’t mention what that stuff actually was. You’re probably not missing anything if you’re depending on google translate.

Is this a spell being cast on the 1 hex above the city? Could be a summoning…

http://www.control-online.nl/gamesindustrie/2013/03/25/gdc-2013-%E2%80%A2-triumph-studios-op-koers-voor-volgende-hit-game/image-6/

Flenoom

I think it’s a global spell.

b0rsuk

I like them, especially the battle screenshot. But the grass is huge, it looks out of scale !

Tomipapa

The grass is fine they are in the forest not in a well mowed lawn. And that druid like artwork is so awesome i love it

NEHZ

The grass does look out of scale. Not because of it’s length but because of it’s width. If decreasing the width and compensating by increasing it’s number makes the grass too cpu intensive for grass, perhaps fake it by adding a dark line and simulating the doubling(/tripling) of all grass that way. Or change it into fern 😛

bam65

Not all of the grass looks big, just patches of it.

Flenoom

NEHZ

Aww, look at all the little units getting buffed by a combat mass buff spell… wait, mr mounted and the trio of guys in the back aren’t being buffed and I think they’re of the same allegiance… Not a mass buff after all?

May I say: the 3D graphics in these shots impress me far more than I anticipated. I like the way the undead seem to have their undeadness show not only by their decayed skin, but also in the way they move. Grassleaves don’t look too wide in this shot either. Now I’m not just anticipating the gameplay, but the eyecandy as well 😀

Flenoom

FIRST GAMEPLAY VIDEO!!!11

vfxrob

Nice!, really happy about the zoom out of the map!

Tomipapa

Just awesome! But im a bit confused with one thing:  Theocrat Leader with a Warlord Hero hmmm. Wondering what skills that hero will use

Red Key

Nice!, really happy about the zoom out of the map!

Agreed it looked great! The only thing that didn’t look good to me was the hero’s portrait. That is one ugly elf.

Flenoom

leomund

Drooling….

Lately I play so many games on IOS, hardly use the laptop anymore.  At last, here is a reason to have it!

GreyHuntr

Looks pretty go so far. I like they way they used multi-model units, it made the battles feel larger in scope. In one of the screenshots I noticed “build road” was something that can be researched so I am guessing that isn’t going to be a unit function any longer.

Narvek
    Keymaster

Happy that you seem to like the vid! Cool! 🙂

b0rsuk

I don’t like it that ‘Bane of the Unnatural’ spell deals extra damage against summoned and UNDEAD. That’s because undead are a race, and in multiplayer against Undead players will have a strong incentive to play Theocrat. If Theocrat turns out strong against undead, the strategic depth will suffer because other choices won’t be really viable.

SiaFu

Okay, wall of text warning, but there are already 3 threads regarding this so I didn’t want to start a “1st Gampelay video impressions” topic.

The video is great! The game interface is very elegant and even though it’s pre-alpha there are already small touches that impress like the animated end turn button.

The great stuff: Detailed combat damage info baloons, number of attacks indicator, ability buttons, the small HP streamer on the unit banner, highlighted hexes with green-amber-red zones for unit movement, (what about terrain move cost?).  But where’s the unit damage rating hidden and will we again be able to read the unit descriptions during combat?
    I like the new spellbook, as it seems to provide more info on spells (and that the number-of-turns balloon below the spell graphic could hopefully be colored to indicate spell schools/classes in the full version).

Just one question: where is the event/message log? Please don’t let it be those bullets above the minimap like in Warlock:MoA.

A strategical biggie: Creature dens will now spawn neutral (rampaging?) armies! More XP, yay!

I particularly like the fast animations in combat, unlike some games that force you to look at the same “stunning animation” over and over again. Someone else noticed the Dragon kicking one of the Crusaders’ squad a couple of hexes – does this mean destructive spells could potentially knock whole units (changing their position).
    Also, now that it’s all 3D, the combat terrain elevation looks more intuitive than in AoW:SM.

With all this being well and good, there some aspects of the interface that give me pause:
    – The hero screen shows large icons for every ability and no indication it can be resized. Please put in an option to have smaller round icons, about the same height as the ability text, or at least not have the unit detail screen in a EULA-style miniscule popup window. Ground items seem obcured again, I hope transferring items from hero to hero on the same hex will be more streamlined than in AoW:SM

Dialogs seem to bunch up at the top of the screen – MS Office ribobn style – Will we be able to perhaps have them on the side, or persistent, like in AoW1?

– Also, comparing AoW1, the  mini map is very nice but at higher resolutions it’s stamp-size could be an issue. The new “map mode looks terrific, will it have drawing/notes functions similar to  Civ4:Colonization?

White fog of war with clouds looks very flashy, but please put in an option for black fog of war and non-animated water surfaces as they are unnecessary framerate killers for us laptop users

But the one real dislike I have: fast close-quarters combat start (even though the units were much more intelligently placed than in AoW:SM). Evidenced with the dragon being able to burn half the attacking forces on turn one. Hopefully the dragon is just a rare example of a supremely mobile unit. So regular archers, ballistae etc won’t be able to bombard your attacking force from the get go.
    The problem of procrastinating attackers was resolved in AoW:SM with the combat turn limit.
    I’d much more prefer the AoW1 style of combat placement where everyone was outside long range than the attackers being attacked when combat starts. Defenders can have their advantage of placing units in any position they choose, but I wish to be the one to decide which units will face the enemy first – by moving them in range myself.

P.S. one “Wait what?” moment:
    At 2:44, just after casting the “Cleanse the land” spell, the terrain reverts back to blight, due to some creative editing (the mana pool is back up to 250).

TL,DR:
    The game looks great, combat is dynamic, wishing on a more customizable interface and minimap (AoW1), possible performance tweaks; don’t like point-blank combat start – at all.

P.S. one “Wait what?” moment:
    At 2:44, just after casting the “Cleanse the land” spell, the terrain reverts back to blight, due to some creative editing (the mana pool is back up to 250).

eheheh just an editing problem I think

Narvek
    Keymaster

Thanks for the nice feedback SiaFu!

As a reply to your biggest concern: We recently played around with different options on how to handle the first round of combat, and still need to tweak starting distance etc.

2:44 yeah, it’s a discontinuity due to editing, we had to tape it a few times, woops! :p Let’s hope we’re better at games than creating movies 🙂

Fikol

thx for comment Narvek! I sincerely hope that starting distance will be considerable… 🙂

BlaneckW

“- White fog of war with clouds looks very flashy, but please put in an option for black fog of war and non-animated water surfaces as they are unnecessary framerate killers for us laptop users”

I believe that includes the entirety of the U.S. population.  I do have a desktop.  I stopped using it when I got a laptop. Of course I bought it with 3d games as a concern (review says it can run Crysis or HD Mass Effect 2), but it is a mid-line laptop (I got a deal) and as a TBS player (a very slow-moving one, GOG) I don’t play many demanding games.  Maybe Triumph can send us a program or information to Can you Run it?  Whether we would be able to run the game?  Then I could look at upgrading if I don’t have enough in the time before release.  My desktop probably could, but I prefer my laptop.

“I don’t like it that ‘Bane of the Unnatural’ spell deals extra damage against summoned and UNDEAD. That’s because undead are a race, and in multiplayer against Undead players will have a strong incentive to play Theocrat. If Theocrat turns out strong against undead, the strategic depth will suffer because other choices won’t be really viable.”

Imo it’s no worse than playing Archons/Highmen (with life magic) vs. Undead in previous games. That is to say it is a balance problem but what the hell. 😛

I have always insisted that pure evil and pure good races should have unique bonuses to counterbalance the fact that they have less choices in terms of alliances.

If Pure good have unique advantages against pure evil, what do pure evil have instead? Maybe units immune to non magic weapons like in the first AOW?

BlaneckW

Alliances?  Alliances in mutiplayer are pre-set or whoever you can get to ally you, unless you’re trying to role-play.  Then I suppose you could be a racist and refuse to ally my “bloodthirsty” Goblins.

NEHZ

Undead always had poison and seduction immunity and I think something more, don’t remember right now. Anyway, they have their advantages and disadvantages, it’s just not immediatly clear because those disadvantages lie in skillset of others.

BlaneckW

AOW1 undead were protected from the elements in general, but were more weak to “holy” stuff.  Basically if you play undead you’d probably be wise to use another race to fight to fight some “good” players.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.