Node Serpent

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

This topic contains 213 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Bouh 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 214 total)
  • Author

freese2112

The simplest and easiest solution I know of is to replace Node Serpent and Watcher in the summoning spell, I don’t know a single Sorcerer player who oppose this thing and I am 1000% for this, but since this was shot down a year ago to my dismay I suggested to buff Node Sepent, which is still on the table – as par a conversation I had with @sikbok.

I hope that the devs will listen to the people here and will give us the Summon Watcher spell, because it will be a really good thing and it will make us all very happy, but the node serpent change will work as well for this purpose.

I have already explained the problem @bouh, and I think you could gather from the huge number of MP players here that there is indeed a problem in the Sorcerer line up with Node Serpent.

Just IMO – but the Dev’s should be looking at overall balance, and not what “will make us all very happy”. (Note – I read “us” as Sorcerer MP players).

Again – just IMO based on my SP experience, agree that the NS is a “situational” type of unit. That being said – I have to agree with Bouh that there is an fundamental question that needs to be answered – what is the purpose of the NS. It has unparrelelled mobility, does it really need to be as tough as the “tank/brawlers”? IMO – it shouldn’t. The NS is currently very comparable with the T3 Serpents & Spiders, and it’s toughness is right in line with the average T3 stat-line. If you compare it to the Cav/Flyers, it’s right in line with them and not susceptible to the pikes, and not susceptible to overwhelm like the shielded units. It is a monster/summoned unit, so while it’s susceptible to that those slayer abilities IMO those tend to be less common than pike/overwhelm.

Just from my perspective, creating units is a little bit like buying real estate – location, amenities, price – you get to choose 2. With unit creation it’s mobility, toughness, and damage potential. NS has ELITE level mobility, average toughness and above average damage potential. The brawlers that are being compared against (FB, ST, Knights) all tend to have at least one major flaws (mobility for FB, RES & susceptability to mind control and CC abilities for ST, less so for Knights – but damage in non-charge situations not great.)

It should be mentioned that the inflict shocking is REALLY, REALLY impactful on a unit with 11 shock damage, something that I don’t think has been mentioned enough. It also synergizes really well with all the other Sorcerer tricks.

And I get the Sorcerer players would like a tanky/meatshield unit to keep their enemies from their supports. That being said, as a Warlord player I’d love a fast mobile healer with strong elemental damage to help deal with ethereal units. I just think that it’s necessary to take a more holistic view of the current meta-game to see where it stands for balance, and have to agree with Bouh that the number of players asking for a buff for their favorite class is pretty much irrelevant. And I should note that I’ve gotten into it with Bouh on multiple occasions in the past and while I don’t appreciate the tone he takes on these boards, that doesn’t mean he’s wrong about the underlying issue.

(I also think that a summon Watcher spell is an option, but IMO the Watcher is a beast and the CP should reflect that).

madmac

I hope that the devs will listen to the people here and will give us the Summon Watcher spell, because it will be a really good thing and it will make us all very happy,

I suspect you’ll find that people who don’t play Sorcerer will be a lot less happy with that particular change.

madmac

While Node Serpents are somewhat situational in their use, it’s worth noting that Sorcerer is currently a very competitive class already even skipping the Node Serpent entirely. What would Sorcerer players be willing to give up in exchange for stronger Node Serpents?

Swapping them for Watchers would likewise be an even bigger buff, even with the increased CP cost ect. You can argue that Sorcerer is a boring one dimensional class and I won’t disagree but it’s not an underpowered class by any estimation, toying with large buffs is dangerous IMO.

Garresh

Madmac hits the nail on the head. I know it sounds petty, but sorcerers have never been anything but a top tier class. Even during the heydays of blatantly OP strategies like theocrat t3 inn rushing or musketeer spam or cherub spam or evolve rushing serpents, sorcs were still at the very least tied for top tier. Think about that for a second. I don’t want to come across as a jerk, but I honestly feel most sorc players are a bit coddled. Every player I know who makes the jump from another class to sorc often recounts just how mind-blowingly easy it is to play, and often stomps way harder than they had with other classes.

You want bruisers? You have dual channel production. Turn to racial units. Sorcs currently have air superiority, the best battlefield spells in the game, good tech, dual production, no logistical challenges to speak of, and are remarkably efficient as well. If augmented with production and racial forces they will always be a top tier class. The failings of their troop lineups are intentional, as no class unit roster is 100% versatile. Rogues lack bruisers and good ranged. Warlords lack elemental damage and support. Sorcs lack bruisers(though their tier 2 makes this questionable). Honestly if the last tournament report says anything, its that even with all the sorc nerfs and the balance changes, they’re still top tier. There are other things more in need of investigation right now. Stuff like Orcs who were nonexistent. Actually elves and goblins weren’t a thing either, which I find odd cause those races feel fine to me, but it does bear a little investigation. Dreadnoughts were uncommon as well, which makes me wonder if perhaps the nerfs they received were too much? Either way, when sorc spam is the name of the game in every major tournament, it makes me wonder why they seem to hog the conversation so much.

ExNihil

I suspect you’ll find that people who don’t play Sorcerer will be a lot less happy with that particular change.

This is wholly dependent on how it is balanced.

For example. If Summon Watcher costs 750RP, which is 350RP more then Summon Node Serpent is, and 170CP (+40CP), then it will be well balanced. People who want a lot of node serpents would get substantial numbers of those through a reduced CP Summon Fantastic Creature, which is also unlocked at 200RP less then Summon Node Serpent, so it in effect brings these in earlier, and you would get to play with watchers directly. It will also diversify late game because now you will have a choice between a good and expensive t3 and a t4.

For MP this will extend the Sorcerer tech tree and will improve overall balance, which is still quite heavily dominated by Sorcerer to begin with. Watchers are great, but if the RP cost is high enough and the CP cost is substantial this will actually solve the fundamental problem of this class which is really focusing on spamming a single type of unit. You will actually have diversity. You want to invest mana? You have very smart options suddenly, and really turn differences no matter how you build your research.

ExNihil

While Node Serpents are somewhat situational in their use, it’s worth noting that Sorcerer is currently a very competitive class already even skipping the Node Serpent entirely. What would Sorcerer players be willing to give up in exchange for stronger Node Serpents?

I already answered previously on Summon Watcher, which I think is the best solution, but if better Node Serpent it is, the answer is LESS of them, simple. Increase the CP and RP costs. Again, inherently a good thing, as I already said, Sorcerer players are forced into a non-choice, its the class that has to skip from Phantasm Warriors to Horrors, and before it was the class that spammed Watchers then Horrors. Each time its because the spells are mispriced, first because Summon PW and Fantastic Creature were both 80CP, so you spammed Fantastic Creature to get Watchers, which was only sensible, and now by putting node serpents at 130, which is too expensive for a so-so unit (in MP at least, cuz’ it doesn’t level), Fantastic Creature at 110, which is too expensive for a 33% at Watchers, cuz’ it’s too small for this much (if it was 100 it would have worked), and only PW is priced well for what it gives.

ExNihil

Madmac hits the nail on the head. I know it sounds petty, but sorcerers have never been anything but a top tier class. Even during the heydays of blatantly OP strategies like theocrat t3 inn rushing or musketeer spam or cherub spam or evolve rushing serpents, sorcs were still at the very least tied for top tier. Think about that for a second. I don’t want to come across as a jerk, but I honestly feel most sorc players are a bit coddled. Every player I know who makes the jump from another class to sorc often recounts just how mind-blowingly easy it is to play, and often stomps way harder than they had with other classes.

Ok, fair enough, but really I want to ask something, please. Take a look in the Sorcerer thread I plugged earlier, as you will see in Vanilla I was asking – AS A SORCERER MAIN – for a series of hard nerfs to sorcerer! My primary priority has always been overall balance and enjoyment, OF COURSE Watcher spamming would be horrible, but this is not what anybody is suggesting, or for that matter 80HP Node Serpent Spamming. I want High HP Node Serpents, or Watchers, but not greater numbers of units. Increase the stats- increase the research and/or cp, did you see how low the research costs of Sorcerer are? They are ridiculously low, it can unlock the techs slower, have more time with each spell, but have more juice out of each spell – units that are more fun, to play with. This changes some balance elements, sure, but does this destablize MP? I doubt it, if you would be able to unlock a Watcher 3-5 turns earlier then you could currently unlock horrors, and you will then need another 6-8 turns to unlock horrors – and these are top tier player stats – how would that be bad for balance? or if people summon more wyverns because they don’t want to invest, alternatively, in expensive summoning – be it summon buffed node serpent or summon watcher? why is that bad?

Face it guys, any change here is completely easy to balance out in game mechanics without hurting anybody’s gaming experience at all, except the sensibilities of a few of us here.

Garresh

Can’t write a long reply right now, but it wasn’t a personal attack. I know you have the best interest of the game at heart. It was more directed at everyone else, though I still disagree with your assessments here. I’ll give a more in depth response later.

ExNihil

Again – just IMO based on my SP experience, agree that the NS is a “situational” type of unit. That being said – I have to agree with Bouh that there is an fundamental question that needs to be answered – what is the purpose of the NS. It has unparrelelled mobility, does it really need to be as tough as the “tank/brawlers”? IMO – it shouldn’t. The NS is currently very comparable with the T3 Serpents & Spiders, and it’s toughness is right in line with the average T3 stat-line. If you compare it to the Cav/Flyers, it’s right in line with them and not susceptible to the pikes, and not susceptible to overwhelm like the shielded units. It is a monster/summoned unit, so while it’s susceptible to that those slayer abilities IMO those tend to be less common than pike/overwhelm.

Well, I already answered about this. “Brawler” units have both High HP, a set of abilities geared towards this and high defense, often with shield. Also they are geared towards class synergies. Example, knights when combined with classes like WL and DN. Sorcerer units come as they are, and they sets of abilities are always in between something. So node serpent keeps its role exactly as is with 75HP, but it survives a bit better, and watcher is what it is – an assault unit. If you ask me what is a more fitting t3 unit for Sorcerer I prefer, like most players I know – Watcher – because its role is more fitting to my play style and the overall Sorcerer playstyle as I play it and find it, but that is open to interpretation. The need part is a better t3 unit then Node Serpent currently is, and an HP increase will not make it into a “Brawler”, that will require more then that, like changing its stats and abilities. As for watcher, well its also not a Brawler, 12 defense isn’t great, and its triple channel attack is mah against other t3 units usually, it actually doesn’t do amazing in melee against “Brawlers”, buts its relatively tough and very solid with its Doom Gaze and anti-personell melee, and works well with PWs and, yes, Node Serpents (AS AUXILIARY!!!).

ExNihil

Well, I already answered about this. “Brawler” units have both High HP, a set of abilities geared towards this and high defense, often with shield. Also they are geared towards class synergies. Example, knights when combined with classes like WL and DN. Sorcerer units come as they are, and they sets of abilities are always in between something. So node serpent keeps its role exactly as is with 75HP, but it survives a bit better, and watcher is what it is – an assault unit. If you ask me what is a more fitting t3 unit for Sorcerer I prefer, like most players I know – Watcher – because its role is more fitting to my play style and the overall Sorcerer playstyle as I play it and find it, but that is open to interpretation.

The “need” part is a better t3 unit then Node Serpent currently is, and an HP increase will not make it into a “Brawler”, that will require more then that, like changing its stats and abilities. As for watcher, well its also not a Brawler, 12 defense isn’t great, and its triple channel attack is mah against other t3 units usually, it actually doesn’t do amazing in melee against “Brawlers”, buts its relatively tough and very solid with its Doom Gaze and anti-personell melee, and works well with PWs and, yes, Node Serpents (AS AUXILIARY!!!). It is also an excellent Meat Shield for Supports and actually being slow floating is good – it is as fast as Supports and PWs, not faster and it works well.

SeeR

After reading the whole thread , which took a while.

And as a fairly experienced Sorc Player.

My 10 cents worth is this……

I rarely ever summon node serps… would way rather spam phantasms and gamble on getting watchers or conserve & prepare for the eldritches.

The Node Serp spell is too expensive for what you get.

Reduced mana consumption per turn / or a slight +5hp & +1 resistance / or the swap spells to have a pure summon watcher spell would all be attractive changes.

or perhaps just a thought… swap in the eternal serpent ? or give the node serp some kind of self heal magical being ?

they do seem to die all to quickly in combat of any type. or at least perhaps increase their vision range.

Some kind of change would be good , even if something else must be taken away from the unit for balance purposes. or Costs adjusted.

Of course I don’t feel nearly as strong as some of the other posters here about it.
    But other race/class combos having become more unique with special class-racial units is making the Sorc Class far less appealing sine there is only one buildable unit the Apprentice…. and no such things as a Racial version of the Summons…… perhaps part of why ExNihil thinks it needs a bit of a boost.

NINJEW

i am not in favor of swapping node serpents and watchers

ExNihil

swap in the eternal serpent ?

You mean the Feathered Serpent?

Bouh

So node serpent keeps its role exactly as is with 75HP, but it survives a bit better, and watcher is what it is – an assault unit.

You are crazy here. Only a handful of T3 units have 75hp or more. Shock trouper is one, warbreed another, and I don’t see more actualy. Even the phalanx only has 65hp for god’s sake !

Of course other stats matter, and if you look at other stats, you can see that the node serpent is actualy one of toughest unit for this speed.

Watchers are great, but if the RP cost is high enough and the CP cost is substantial this will actually solve the fundamental problem of this class which is really focusing on spamming a single type of unit. You will actually have diversity. You want to invest mana? You have very smart options suddenly, and really turn differences no matter how you build your research.

You’ll probably take this badly but it’s not my intention, but here you are either lying to yourself or not realizing the real problem.

Sorcerer is a summoning class. That means that for each spell you get, you sort of lose the others, because you can only cast one at a time. That means that all spells of the sorcerer compete with eachother. That means that you will never have diversity unless each unit has a clear role, hence that each unit is very specialized.

And that was the case until fantastic creatures get the watcher : previously, you had the phantasm warrior to tank, the node serpent for assault, and fantastic creatures for anti-elemental/support and flying duty. Brawler actualy don’t have a place in sorcerer doctinre, because it would obsolete everything else. Hence the watcher is actualy the problem. Because of the watcher, fantastic creatures compete with the node serpent and phantasm warriors.

Yet I think the balance is fine. You can play roll the dice to get watchers, you can get phantasm warriors if tank is what you need, and you can summon node serpent for assault stuff (phase + sprint is the ultimate assault combo).

ExNihil

Sorcerer units don’t get any tech buffs. Increase the cp and rp cost and there wouldn’t be any issue whatsoever here, unless you have something to say to this point actually? I have already explained what issue are here and by my count it is now SEVEN top-tier sorcerer players who validated my points. NowI am also not saying this to insult you, truly, but there is a difference between playing a class regularly and talking about it and empirically there are issues here that you can’t grasp from the data alone.

Bouh

You obviously haven’t read what I wrote.

ExNihil

Obviously….

Obviously you didn’t read what I wrote earlier about abilities and such, or synergies with classes.

The point of comparison is class units:
    Warbreed has 80HP + Regrowth
    Phalanx has 65HP + 12 Def + Shield + received Martial arts training bonus + pikesquare, hence effectively having a maximum defense of 22 when attacking at recruit a cavalry/flying unit, or a meager 17 when attacking, that is, substantially higher than 65HP for all intents and purposes.
    Yes, 75HP is significant, but dude it isn’t even close…

As for racials, I can make this point again but really lets face it you don’t want to get it. Racial units are MEANT to be augmented by class techs, hence:

Shock Trooper has 75HP + 13 Def + a shitload of combat abilities (tireless, warcry, inflicts etc.) and RECEIVES WHATEVER CLASS TECHS ARE THERE i.e. martial arts training, cruel backstab, ghoul + embalming + power ritual + vampiric hunger, absorb pain + devout + mark of the heretic, etc….

What tech synergies does sorcerer have with ANY of its summons or ANY racial unit EXCEPT supportS? NONE. ZERO. NULL. NADA. NIHIL. NICHT. KEIN. KLUM. EFES.

WHAT IT DOES NEED! is a MEAT SHIELD, Yes, a MEATSHIELD, a unit you can place between your fragile units, be they your heroes or your supports and your opponents, and the node serpent isn’t it as it presently is. What it does need is a t3 unit that is worthwhile to summon because it SURVIVES autocombat, which this unit does not do. What it does need is a diversification of combat roles, and at the moment you have 4 units that can act as scouts + the node serpent which can act as a scout, and the same units which can act as harrasers, and… the node serpent which can act as harraser… and only 1 unit which actually acts like a t3 unit is supposed to act – a mainline battle unit.

A 10HP increase is actually not that a big of a deal when you consider (a) class synergies, which you comfortably omit, and (b) the other stats and unit abilities. Finally, there is no issue with increasing the RP and CP costs here, and there is also no issue with moving Inflict Shocking to a medal.

BUT, I would prefer seeing Summon Watcher replacing Summon Node Serpent – this would be the best solution, because this unit is actually the best fit and it will allow for a better balanced Sorcerer tech tree and more balanced summoning costs, including a reduced priced Summon Fantastic Creature, which is direly needed in my opinion.

ExNihil

But, Bouh, please reply, because you love having the last word so have it and lets close this thread and hope the devs do us a solid and give us SUMMON WATCHER or if not then at least a BUFFED NODE SERPENT.

NINJEW

a watcher costs 330 cp to summon on average, currently. players still go fishing for watchers all the time anyway, and did so back before the wyvern buffs. a summon watcher spell would need some serious cost adjustment to be balanced, to an extent that doesn’t sound very fun. leave node serpents as the penultimate summon.

Ericridge

You guys is so strange to me.

I personally think that watchers is quite terrible unit. The only good thing about them is their melee attacks. Their petrify ray thing is made of pure crap and only worked for me two times. Its not consistent. I’d rather bring another apprentice over a watcher because it means even more stunning attacks. AI have better luck than I do with watchers for their petrifying rays though.

No matter what, Elite Knight in defensive stance with bless active? PETRIFIED! And I try to return the favor? IT FAILS! Then I understood that Watchers is great for people who have kind RNG.

Node Serpent on other hand is very good unit and reliable. I know what it can do and cannot do and thus it is consistent. Reliable and can be counted upon to do it’s task.

ExNihil

Ofc Watcher is a melee unit who said otherwise? The doom gaze is a secondacry attack and not very effective usually. But its a reliable melee unit.

People don’t go fishing for watchers as the game presently is, mana costs are too high, and its not even the chance its the 77% of getting a wyvern for 110 mana which is ridiculously expensive for a crap t2. If it were 90 cp for a chance at a node serpent or wyvern or 100 cp for watcher or wyvern it would be worth while, but 110 is too much.

Also.in those rare occasions when you actually do want a wyvern because you need a scout you can get fucked by getting a watcher, lol.

Anyhow you are thinking about costs wrong, sorcerer players dont actually invest this mana presently in getting watchers, they do invest them in summoning node serpents – 130CP is 1 Node Serpent, if you replace this spell with a summon watcher that costs 170 CP players will invest it no problem, and they will have a good wild card fantastic creature in node serpent that is actually thematically fitting with the rest of the bunch.

Bob5

I’m sure Node Serpent is only 120 mana/CP, not 130.

ExNihil

yup, my bad, which is why nobody will summon 77% for a t2 – crazy, and 110 for it is waaaay too high. It should be 90CP for a 33% for a node serpent, or 100CP for a watcher thats ok. Summon t3 needs to be differentiated by more CP and give more bang for the buck.

Node Serpent on other hand is very good unit and reliable. I know what it can do and cannot do and thus it is consistent. Reliable and can be counted upon to do it’s task.

I think now we know what it’s purpose is…reliability!

I am thinking – for a mod (because imho this is precisely the sort of thing that mod tools are made for, and if it proves popular then maybe TS will make it an official change?) of making a Summon Watcher spell.

Cost 160 mana, 25 upkeep.

Fantastic creature to become 100 mana.

ExNihil

Well, it is not reliable, as every single MP player who popped into this thread testified. Maybe they are in SP, but not in MP.

Hatmage

If we are seeking to buff the node serpent – not to imply there is a consensus – my first suggestion would be giving it all its’ MP at baseline to make freshly baked serpents more viable, and my second, given the sorcerer already has an astoundingly good shock melee troop and star blades besides, is to consider making the serpent venemous in the manner serpents sometimes are at expense of some of its’ electrical potential.

I think that one of the unit’s biggest flaws is that many cavalry units, especially flying cavalry, can just recieve star blades and do nearly the same job. For this reason, flying would be a nerf, as it would further erode the advantage of serpents over flyers.

What I’d like is a good, reliable t2 to replace Summon Disposable Wyvern.

NINJEW

wyverns just got buffed. my understanding is they’re somewhat worthwhile now

ExNihil

Still not worth it for 110 mana, their problem is they don’t have the kind of abilities you get on cavalry units and don’t synergize so well with Sorcerer. Also their attack is 6/6 which is -1 point from the standard dual channel (always adjusted 1 point upwards) and should be adjusted one point upwards in my opinion, and is the same problem as the draconian Raptor. And in MP they still die like mothafuckers on AC due to flying head first into danger, but a bit less so then before.

***** Wyverns were forgotten between Vanilla and EL, and they got a small HP buff and forgotten again, I dunno what happened with the other dwelling units but I think most of them need some attention before modding tools are out to get a final update to be brought in line.

To be worthwhile they need to get a bronze medal upgrade each, because you simply never get to see them at gold medal and they are just very expensive scouts.

This spell is mispriced it should be priced 100 mana, then it will be better adjusted, as I previously wrote.

As for what you wrote @hatmage,

I don’t object to seeing blight damage on Node Serpents but that wouldn’t solve any of the core issues with this unit as these have been discussed in this thread at all, it will just make it more interesting and less redundant, which is nice, so +1 for this, but my guess is that it won’t happen because that would be a triple channel attack.

As for the other component of what you proposed, I assume that many people would object to this even more on it being OP and so forth, and I am dubious myself here – it will not improve the very low survivability of this unit and probably even make it worse – now you will have a 40MP unit with phase and sprint BUT with lower HP then when you would normally have it at 40MP, thus it will suicide itself quite dramatically in AC, and in PvP you will get butchered unless you are very very careful, lucky or skillful.

Hatmage

If there is one class that won’t be broken by a triple channel attack, it’s the sorcerer. Star blades is a triple channel attack, apprentices are triple channel attacks on legs, and cosmic spray has six channels. That being said, there is a risk of overspecialisation.

And I also object to wyverns on the premise that the sorcerer can summon every dragon lair wyvern and then the obsidian wyvern on top of that. It leaves the lair without a good niche before t4 dragons even if wyverns become amazing. Something more unique would be nice, to give more flavour to both the class and the dwelling.

I’ve previously proposed an enchanted gargoyle with high defence/resistance, awful physical attack, nonregeneration and wing beat, which would give sorcerers an obvious mid-game starblade user even if they lack good cavalry, give players more use for mend magic, and serve a uniquish role as a unit that can hold a line even against supports, while not being the sword-absorbing, damage dealing eventually tireless powerhouse that phantasms are.

I believe that there are fears that a high defence, high resistance sorcerer unit would be too good. And given that’s part of the problem with frostling sorcerers, Caution may be the best approach.

NINJEW

yeah i think the big reason why sorcs don’t have a massive resistance blocker is that phantasms are already ridiculously good physical blockers, and mixing the two could prove frustratingly effective. sorc’s already a top class without access to that. forget having high defense and high res on the same unit, i’m fairly uncomfortable with just the high res part on one unit.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 214 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.