Not enough heroes

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Not enough heroes

This topic contains 24 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Aennor

Well, turn 120, Orcish Dreadnought receives an offer from…Goblin hero (reload autosave -> next turn a few times; it gives me humans, goblins, I expect dwarves soon). Looks like Orcs have only 13 heroes (Elves received an elf, don’t know about Draconians and Halflings yet; I fear that they can also soon go out of the pool), well, I know, it’s me that use 20 heroes, but the more = the better 😀

Socratatus

Yes, I think the game could do with creating more Heroes as well. I too am getting repeats. I’m sure it could randomly make much more.

alexej

Me and my girlfriend set heroes to leader +2 yet they repeat too much i agree, pool of heroes should be doubled atleast.

Aennor

Yes, I think the game could do with creating more Heroes as well. I too am getting repeats. I’m sure it could randomly make much more.

Or, at least, it could use player created leaders as heroes (it’ll also put “save leader” option to good use)

Me and my girlfriend set heroes to leader +2 yet they repeat too much i agree, pool of heroes should be doubled atleast.

Well, (it’s just my dream, lol) there should be enough heroes to play 20 heroes + leader setup with 8 players the same race 😀 (as mentioned before, it’s just a dream)

Artfactial

Well, couldn’t you just add a bunch of interesting new leaders that will get picked for the hero role automatically. Or do they replace some of the others?

Gloweye

All they really need to do is allow us to create heroes the same way we can leaders. Or give a toggle at leader creation: Allow use as Hero. (And one for leader…). After that, allow us to plant these libraries loadable in, so we could just work together as a community and make as much heroes as we want, and use all of those together. If everyone here made 2 heroes, we’d have all the heroes we’d ever need.

Aennor

All they really need to do is allow us to create heroes the same way we can leaders. Or give a toggle at leader creation: Allow use as Hero. (And one for leader…). After that, allow us to plant these libraries loadable in, so we could just work together as a community and make as much heroes as we want, and use all of those together. If everyone here made 2 heroes, we’d have all the heroes we’d ever need.

Well said, couldn’t agree more

Steven Aus

I agree. Crowd-sourcing at its finest. =)

Low_K

Agreed with Gloweye. I have loads of custom leaders, let’s have an option to make them appear as regular heroes.

I believe I made a “Compiled List” post about this earlier. Let’s see if I can find it.

the Devs replied with that they would look into it. Either a Random Hero Generator, or an option for use of custom leaders as heroes.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/gameplay-suggestion-compiled-topics-index-2/#post-81398

Kind regards,

Low

Rand

Yes, definitely wanted to add an enthusiastic second to the suggestion to either have a random hero generator or an option to use custom leaders as heroes.

Epaminondas

Agreed with Gloweye. I have loads of custom leaders, let’s have an option to make them appear as regular heroes.

I believe I made a “Compiled List” post about this earlier. Let’s see if I can find it.

the Devs replied with that they would look into it. Either a Random Hero Generator, or an option for use of custom leaders as heroes.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/gameplay-suggestion-compiled-topics-index-2/#post-81398

Kind regards,

Low

A random hero generator would be a horrific idea. Perhaps aesthetics do not matter to most players, but have you actually fiddled around with the random appearance generator for leaders? You will get monstrosities like an elf maiden with porcupine hair, bunch of scars, and florescent hair – among other abominations.

God no.

Instead, it would be much better if we could create our own heroes – or if the un-used leaders can simply be put into the hero pool when the game starts (I prefer the latter, as it would incorporate both in-game leaders and those leaders we create ourselves).

But overall, I agree that this is an issue that needs to abe addressed.

terrahero

I agree with Epi, randomly generated heroes sounds horrible.

Creating heroes should be possible, with a work around you can already get custom made leaders as heroes.
    You make a custom hero, play against them, have them surrender to you and then they join you as a hero. With matching graphics and everything.

Kaiosama TLJ

That was something that I thought it was on the game a long time ago but actually it isn’t. Some matches I got Ekko the Explosive and Henna the Elder, but then I found it weird that the only characters that I got as heroes that are in the default leader pool are these 2. So I did a quick check on the hero pool by opening the Map Editor and I saw that for some strange reason these 2 are “cloned” into the hero pool.

Having an proper option for default and created leaders to appear as heroes if they weren’t selected is a good thing to give more variety to the hero pool.

A random hero generator would be a horrific idea. Perhaps aesthetics do not matter to most players, but have you actually fiddled around with the random appearance generator for leaders? You will get monstrosities like an elf maiden with porcupine hair, bunch of scars, and florescent hair – among other abominations.

Either it would be horrific or laughable.

Especially in names, which reminds me of that one time in Torchlight II I found a champion mob named Trollkicker. And the fact that it was a goblin made it even more funny. 😀

Socratatus

Horrific? Only if no thought at all is put into it.

You can’t fail with random as long as you include a few logical parameters. I love games with random elements, never knowing who is going to turn up in your game. Right now its getting really predictable, Oh it`s that girl with the white hair oh and that rasta looking bloke again- boring.

I’m pretty sure the Devs are up to doing random well.

Random, and adjustable, could work.

So, it randomises it, then you change the bits you find heinous.

Gloweye

Oh it`s that girl with the white hair oh

Leila the Sheer?

Anyway, they don’t need to program a randomizer if they just let us create all the heroes, and in no time we’ll have a collective library containing all race/class combination like 5 or 10 times.

smeagolheart

Need something, not enough Heroes

#notenoughheroes

Mourioche

One idea…

What about heroes of a dwelling race ?

Something new & different than other heroes…

For example, some of them could equip more weapon (nagas = 2 weapons because they have more arms than humanoid), or some of them cannot equip “humanoid weapon”, but have something else to compensate this defect…

It is always possible to design them in such a way their power match power of other heroes.

Fogcrow

Plus, its always the same heroes who join first, like for example: I´ve seen the male elf Dreadnought hero countless times, both on my own side, and with others, but have encoutered the female one only once in hundreds of hours of gameplay( on leader +5 heroes).

savriend

Hey guys,

There are about 14 heroes per class in the game and we’ll be adding more in the next expansion. All the heroes are pre-made with their name and identity. It takes time designing them.
    If you still feel limited you can try switching on “random heroes match player race” in the advanced rules (in the map setup) if you haven’t done this already. You’ll get more diversity this way.
    Also keep in mind that we can design add more heroes but if you play the game a lot you will get repetition in your hero offers.

Taykor

Perhaps aesthetics do not matter to most players, but have you actually fiddled around with the random appearance generator for leaders?

Yes, I did once, following similar topic about heroes. And thing is, random appearances are fine. Yes, there are some oddities sometimes, but there’s nothing which couldn’t be fixed by some light tuning. Heroes shouldn’t all have beautiful (or even balanced) appearances, you know.

Gloweye

Hey guys,

There are about 14 heroes per class in the game and we’ll be adding more in the next expansion. All the heroes are pre-made with their name and identity. It takes time designing them.<br>
    If you still feel limited you can try switching on “random heroes match player race” in the advanced rules (in the map setup) if you haven’t done this already. You’ll get more diversity this way.<br>
    Also keep in mind that we can design add more heroes but if you play the game a lot you will get repetition in your hero offers.

That makes for a total amount of 14*6=84 Heroes. While I completely understand that it would be a lot of (needless) work for you guys to make more yourselves, could you perhaps elaborate on whether it would take you a lot of work to create a tool for us to create more heroes?

Even if it would just be a windows application requiring us to fill in the numbers making up the appearance, we could just create a leader, note the numbers, and transfer these to the hero application. After that, it should simply make a file we can load via the User Content tab of the loader. This would remove the stress on your side for the individual creation of the 200-odd community-desired heroes, and I don’t really see a reason why the community couldn’t keep this updated for any and all future expansions.

Unless of course if you think it would take more dev time to make this tool than it would to create heroes. My slightly-educated guess would say it doesn’t, and creating a tool will remove the need to create any non-campain heroes, since there will be community support for making them, and once we did, you could always import these in an official patch.

savriend

Hey gloweye,
    You can create your own heroes in the level editor but you can’t use them in RMG maps. You can only use the heroes in your own campaign or scenario.
    There will be a lot more new heroes in the next expansion because we see that we need some more (a necromancer for each race and prop some others). But yeah, you’ll need to buy the next expansion 😉

Epaminondas

Speaking of new heroes: Did Telnae the Miraculous get put in like today?

I’ve been playing non-stop since DLC, and it’s the first time I’ve seen her.

Gloweye

you can’t use them in RMG maps.

Well, this is the major point for most people.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.