Opencollada plugin (ubuntu)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Opencollada plugin (ubuntu)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  vfxrob 6 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Eomolch

Hi, just wanted to ask if anyone here has successfully installed the opencollada plugin for maya on a linux (ubuntu) distribution, since I am currently trying to get it going but most of the installation instructions I can find are for maya 2008/2009, so not of much use for me at all.

vfxrob

Hey Eomolch, I am not a linux user, but I had trouble with it just with it on my pc but not on my mac.

One solution that may work is just using the fbx.dae export option, I’ve bound a variety of units in maya by using this, from flying humanoid to cannons, so it does seem to work without it. Just a note though, I found downloading a fresh template model was a solution to errors on export/inport if you had used it on another platform or build it comes up with some errors, too many names.

Here is a link to all the later collada ubuntu which no doubt you had found.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jssp45b88jkcoql/AACA8gUDeAo94SEO1l2jow7ya/OpenCOLLADA/ubuntu?dl=0

Sorry i can’t help you more than that!

Eomolch

Hi vfxrob, thanks for the hints! I came across the fbx.dae export option yesterday but I wasn’t sure it would work, so good to hear you already used it with success.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by downloading a fresh template model? (I am pretty new to this whole modelling buisness) I too noticed import / export errors with the collada files from triumph, but how can I work around them? (if that is what you mean)

You see, my original problem (why I started all this) was that I created a new merfolk unit by replacing some of the lord of the deep meshes in the content editor with meshes of the siren. The mean thing about this is, the unit animates just fine in the content editor, but when I want to apply the lord of the deep rig it complains about a couple of bones (head, neck, left item, right item). So now I exported the siren model with ninjaripper and imported it to maya (after importing it to blender, since maya doesn’t seem able to directly use ninjaripper+rip2obj .obj files), but now it turns out the lord of the deep skeleton isn’t even among the collada files -,- Also my guess is that even if I can get my hands on it I would have to adjust the “pose” of the siren mesh and I am not sure if my modelling skills are good enough for this. (or if it would break the UV mapping)

Maybe you see another solution to this problem?

edit: whoops, I was talking about the siren ofc, not the nymph

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by  Eomolch.

vfxrob

Hi Eomolch,
    Sounds like your importing ok, if the rig is complaining about a couple of bones when you select the rig, it may not be the right rig to use.
    Im not totally sure if the lord of the deep would use the siren mesh it may be a naga one? (Just check the LOTD in the content editor to confirm what rig it uses!) A potential solution i found for the Frostling Queen was deleting the complaining bones in the content editor but that may not work.

From what I’m reading your using ninja ripper and it keeps the bones intact to the animation so you don’t have to re-bind the mesh and paint the weights, ingenious.

Alternatively you could attach it to whatever rig you would like and paint the weights, i have a tutorial on the beginner to the advanced that may help with this. Moving geometry around doesn’t break the UV’s just align the arms and fin thing to the rig as best you can.

Modding guide and videos Beginners to Advanced

Hope this all helps!

vfxrob

Sorry i think I’m miss reading the above comment: your in the AOW: content editor.

(Just recapping), Your problem is:
    The menfolk lord of the deep and the siren are using different rig I’m pretty sure, so errors will come up.

Yes, the only way your going to be able to have the siren to have the menfolk pose is using the naga rig (same kind of thing),

Just reshape the model to the naga pose, as long as your not adding new geometry the uv’s will stay the same, you should just be reshaping it, and then bind the model and start painting the weights.

Eomolch

Hey vfxrob, you were wright, the lord of the deep does indeed use the naga collider. You know by any chance a trick for the reshaping process? I am not particularly good at moving vertices :/

Also great job on your maya tutorial btw. I followed it yesterday to create my first unit with an exported model from another game. I still need to go into detail with the weight painting but it already works with rigging in the content ED, so I will not need the opencollada plugin for maya, but can do with the existing fbx.dae export.

vfxrob

I tried using zbrush and also mudbox to repose it, but honestly just using moving the faces or vertex’s is one of the simpler and better solutions for low poly models. Ive found with models i really only need to adjust the arms, the legs can do some interesting things. I have a model i bound where one leg was slightly bend and behind, and she rocks back in-forth making it really unique. Also units with reverse knee structures look excellent. Id recommend looking into a bit of weight painting it never gets to the stage of being therapeutic but it gets a bit more bearable after the first couple of models.

Eomolch

You are right about moxing vertices … it actually works quite well in maya. I was surprised 😀 However now I had to discover that the lord of the deep doesn’t use the naga collada. The newly exported siren model can now use the naga rig, but not the lord of the deep rig. Also I will have to do the weight painting again, but I am not sure yet if I will continue since I think the naga rig and animation look rather stupid for the unit (and I would have to do the whole thing again for the armor I wanted to use). Not to mention the low poly due to ninjaripper makes the unit look a lot worse than how it would look if the version in the content ED would work (maybe I can smoothen the model in maya). So in summary, very depressing results, especially since the unit looks (and animates) so great in the content ED without all this.

vfxrob

Ah no! your right the LOTD is another rig, id advise painting the weight of the armour at the same time as the siren model in whatever direction you go, so just bind both meshes to the rig.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by  vfxrob.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.