Orc Archdruid – the Hunter, The Shaman and Synergy

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Balance Orc Archdruid – the Hunter, The Shaman and Synergy

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  NuMetal 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Kozzie

Im interrested in views on this unit and as a sidetrack i would ask for your opinion on the archdruid orc synergy- are there any ? how would you play them and why? – all that stuff.

My opinion:
    1) Orc Hunter
    +8hp over HE hunter (+5hp more than any other hunter) – so actually this unit has higher hp beacuse its an orc. (i would count on some more benefits since it is a single shot unit)
    15 dmg /1shot
    no sprint
    no war cry
    in other departments its just a regular hunter.
    shield

for me this unit lacks either sprint or more hp (or even melee dmg to make it a double role unit) , at its current state – it is not worth making – it does less dmg than both human and HE hunters while not excelling at anyting else,

Even spearmen will be more usefull most of the time beacuse their spear throw can be buffed and they can flank more easily with the sprint ability (ofc the dmg is higher for the hunter but hunter has a harder time flanking)

proposed change:
    Give them something! – Sprint , projectile resistance, 2elemntal dmg on spear throw (please not blight or spirit), war cry could also fit, or some special concealment (maybe barrens? since orc love barrens?)

2) Orc Shaman – im quite positive this unit should have throw curse, or even the black bolt attack aswell – at its current state – i would prefer making a orc priest rather than shaman – the orc priest has throw curse and better damage options (ranged)

proposed change: Give orc shamans throw curse , and possibly change their attack to black bolts.

general synergy beetween orc and archdruid – i cannot really think about anything really usefull – apart from bonus hp on heroes and a bit more healing after battles the archdruid class does not work that well with orcs – since archdruid is based around ranged dmg with animal usage – orcs add next to nothing to the class.

llfoso

You’re forgetting the 11 melee damage, compared to the other hunters’ 7.

I haven’t actually tested orc druid yet but I look forward to it. I predict the orc hunter will actually be able to survive better on it’s own than the others. It’s still classified as an archer, but it’s functionally an irregular and I think it’s going to shine.

Tombles
    Keymaster

The Orc Hunter also has a shield, while the other hunters do not.

Zaskow

2) Orc Shaman – im quite positive this unit should have throw curse, or even the black bolt attack aswell – at its current state – i would prefer making a orc priest rather than shaman – the orc priest has throw curse and better damage options (ranged)

Already suggested. 🙂 thread.

vota dc

Flanking is just +2, orc hunter has +5 when doesn’t flank, also war cry work for melee, not sure if it works for spear throwing too.
    Also with each medal the hunter gets +1 ranged while the irregular just gets melee.

madmac

Orc Hunters are basically Heavy Crossbows with better movement, shields, and a decent melee attack. They get an extra +1 melee from medals along with +4 ranged attack and benefit way more from Martial Arts at gold then any other type of Hunter.

Give them a shot before you criticize them too much, I have and they’re a lot of fun.

Orc Shamans don’t get any special bonuses but the racial mods are really good for them, extra HP, melee damage and victory rush are all really helpful on Shamans. I wouldn’t complain if they also got Black Bolts though, just for flavor.

Kozzie

i actually have been testing orc hunters in game alot lately – thats why i borught this up – i know they are more resistant to dmg but theyir intial hp is still below the t1 infantry , so is melee damage, they are atm the worst hunter out there since other hunters either do more dmg or are more versatile (yes the normal bow is still more versatile than the spear throw)

i dont normally play orc arch druid but i would like to see their hunters given more stuff. Sprint would be ideal.

And shamans might be in a good spot -but orc priests has one of the best abilities out ther – throw curse is a great cc skill – either loose movement or stats on extreme range. The shamans just feel lacking in comparison to orc priests.

madmac

i dont normally play orc arch druid but i would like to see their hunters given more stuff. Sprint would be ideal.

Our experiences are obviously very different, because I’ve always gotten good use out of Orc Hunters. I don’t think sprint would help that much, either, they are already very fast and can get martial arts to dodge opportunity attacks.

I would kinda like to see them get War Cry though, it just seems fitting to me.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Fine, I’ll give the Hunter War Cry. Sprint is too much though, especially given how fast Orc Hunters can move when Long Strider is researched.

hastypudding

War Cry is cool because of flavor, but won’t be a huge boost. Dig it.

Also, Orc Hunters are awesome. They’re incredibly well-rounded — fast, extremely durable for (effectively) an irregular, the javelin hits like a truck. Sprint would be madly OP.

Shaman…to be honest, I’ve always been underwhelmed by Shaman unless I’m fighting another archdruid. Though with Druids generally slightly stronger IMO despite the summon cost nerfs, they might be more effective. Generally I’d rather build a racial T3 though.

Tombles
    Keymaster

The new Awaken ability they get is pretty great if you have some animals to buff, though apparently AD armies running around without summons is a thing, so maybe not as useful as I originally imagined.

Hieronymous

Awaken Spirit sounds like it should affect Ancestral Spirits. Superficial, I know, but it could be interesting. On topic, I’m against giving Throw Curse to the Orc Shaman. It just robs the Orc Priests of some of their supporty uniqueness.

quo

What would be unbelievably cool (and outside the scope of 1.5 I’m sure) is if Entangling Touch took into account the Climate you were wrapping around the target and left behind a debuff that corresponded.

For example:

Temperate: -30 spirit resist
    Tropical: -30 fire resist
    Arctic: -30 frost resist
    Blight: -30 blight resist
    Water: -30 shock resist
    Volcanic: -10 phys resist -15 fire resist
    Subterranean: -15 phys resist

Then the Druid player would be encouraged to terraform to try to fight enemies where they are weak.

llfoso

The new Awaken ability they get is pretty great if you have some animals to buff, though apparently AD armies running around without summons is a thing, so maybe not as useful as I originally imagined.

The problem is the Shaman’s free movement and concealment are only really useful when they’re on their own.

I say give shamans a new damage type. Tempest bolts. 4 frost and 4 shock. That’s all it really needs. Pure blight damage when you don’t have access to weaken is just rough.

NuMetal

War Cry is cool because of flavor, but won’t be a huge boost. Dig it.

Of course it will! You will be able to hit with your T1 Archer for 14 damage!!!

But still very useful. It’s ok if a unit is not equally usefull in all situations. It has an amazing ability and you should play to its strengths.
    What I am saying is that it’s fine and you shouldn’t change it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.