Orc archer

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Update v1.5 – Open Beta Balance Orc archer

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jb 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Zaskow

Hi there!

Now we have hot discussion about effectiveness of orc archers – actually, the worst archer in the game.

In short, I say, that orc archers are overpriced units and lack really useful and powerful ability, which can compensate their range weakness. I think, razor projectiles isn’t enough.
    Some people agree, some disagree, so it’s interesting for me to hear official dev position about this.
    My suggestions to fix this issue are:
    – drop the price from 70 to 65 at least or even to 60, coz goblin darter is more powerful as archer and cost only 63 gold;
    – give them new ability, we told about ‘Inflict Crippling wounds’, if you think about their OPness with this ability, I suggest to give it on veteran.

Mythabril

I’d propose to add Inflict Crippling Wounds on veteran but reduce base bow damage by another point to 5. So their main purpose would be to cause the status effects and not raw damage. Cost can then stay at 70.

Gloweye

- drop the price from 70 to 65 at least or even to 60, coz goblin darter is more powerful as archer and cost only 63 gold;

that’s because goblins have 10% discount as racial bonus, so it’s base price is the same 70 gold.

As for the orc archers, you SHOULD only build them when you really need ranged. Ranged combat just not something orcs are good at, which is a nice thing IMO.

Zaskow

I’d propose to add Inflict Crippling Wounds on veteran but reduce base bow damage by another point to 5. So their main purpose would be to cause the status effects and not raw damage. Cost can then stay at 70.

Very bad idea. 5 damage is too low and makes orc archers senseless.

that’s because goblins have 10% discount as racial bonus, so it’s base price is the same 70 gold.

Base price for goblins never use in game. Anyway darters work out even 70 gold.

Epaminondas

OMFG, here, too?

I disagree with you here, too.

Tombles
    Keymaster

There will always be a “Worst” unit, be it an Orc Archer, an Elven Swordsman or a Civic Guard. We can’t just buff them because they’re the worst, because then another unit would be the worst and we’d need to buff that too.

I agree Orc Archers aren’t very good, but that’s just the way Orcs are. There is one thing I will do though, the idea was that the Orc Archer would be more capable of melee, which it still is fairly lacking in. I’ll give it a bit more HP and melee damage to fix that.

Zaskow

There is one thing I will do though, the idea was that the Orc Archer would be more capable of melee, which it still is fairly lacking in. I’ll give it a bit more HP and melee damage to fix that.

Ou, that’s good enough. Thanks!
    You can close this thread and that: http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/poor-orc-archers/

Epaminondas

Wow, how come whining non-stop on a subject where everyone disagrees with you works for Zaskow but not me? 😉

Tombles
    Keymaster

Because, at the end of the day, no-one’s opinion really matters except mine, and I am mad with power! 😀

Zaskow

Wow, how come whining non-stop on a subject where everyone disagrees with you works for Zaskow but not me? 😉

You are wrong, some people were agreed with me.
    And you whined not enough. 🙂

ninninnin

forget a melee boost. just give all the orc supports and archers war cry too, they wanna punch things so bad.

razorbows are so bad theyre good. nobody wants to waste time attacking them so they can just keep shooting all the way to gold rank and actual damage.

jb

razorbows are so bad theyre good. nobody wants to waste time attacking them so they can just keep shooting all the way to gold rank and actual damage.

Okay, that is pretty funny 🙂

I have no problem with orc archers. They fill their intended role.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.