Patch v1.703 Released

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Patch v1.703 Released

This topic contains 77 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  NINJEW 7 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author

fulano5321

You guys rock, I wish there were more gaming studios half as awesome as this!

I would say it is 4x gamers are more respectful and cool to dev for. When something needs improvement, we do not throw a hissy like I see folks on MMO boards or FPS boards, even though 4x is pretty niche compared to them. Makes devs want to help out more and less wanting just to go to next project. Plus, I can tell there was love put in this game.

However, if future content or patches are limited, I think the real elephant in the room is that the Creator Engine does not really run well on average systems. Maybe as low end comps get more powerful, this will be less of an issue. AoW:SM had tons of stuff a decade after it was abandoned. But, I do not see the mass amount of user content I saw with AoW Shadow Magic and I fear poor optimization of the tools for modding is the cause.

Mods sell games. I could name DOTA for Warcraft 3, Day Z for ARMA, etc. I wish the tools would function better on entry level, newer laptops like the game itself does. Maybe a little more love for the tools themselves?

Eomolch

Check your email! I sent a fixed file.

Thanks!! 🙂 I already took a look and sent you a response since I ran into the problem again, this time however it seems to affect a different .rpk file (more details in the mail).

Tombles
    Keymaster

It’ll have to wait until monday I’m afraid!

Tombles
    Keymaster

But, I do not see the mass amount of user content I saw with AoW Shadow Magic and I fear poor optimization of the tools for modding is the cause.

Modding tools have been out for 3-4 weeks, and there are 83 mods in the Steam Workshop. I’m not sure what you really expected, but that seems like a pretty good result to me!

rpgllama

A mod re-instating ‘Repair Machine’ for Dreadnought heroes with a 2-turn cooldown:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=532215424

Tibbles

When something needs improvement, we do not throw a hissy like I see folks on MMO boards or FPS boards

View post on imgur.com

@tibbles

Best. reference. Ever.

Garresh

@tibbles

Beat me to it. Haha. Also the mod tools are quite robust. They’re not flawless, but I think based on what I’ve personally seen, the mods will outdo those from Shadow Magic. 2 days ago, I found out how to design a new class. Now I’m in the pre-design stages laying out my tech tree and designing new units at the theoretical level, but from what I’ve seen early on these tools are more than enough. Course now I’m juggling Variants Arsenal and an entirely new class, so…

Still, mod tools are great!

Eomolch

It’ll have to wait until monday I’m afraid!

I understand, np.

@discussion: The modding tools are much more powerful and convenient than what people had for aowsm. The only reason new classes or races (since that is more comparable to SM) will be more difficult to create is that aow3 is a 3D game, so new models etc. are much more difficult to create (or import).

Epaminondas

I agree that Repair Machine needed a nerf, but this is from one extreme to the other IMHO. The general healing ability applies a health boost followed by a 2-turn cooldown. Surely it would have been OK to just add a 2-turn cooldown to Repair Machine to bring it into line?

Maybe that can be my next mod… re-instate Repair Machine with a 2-turn cooldown.

Agree. But frankly, I think it’s better to make both repair and heal simply a one-time per combat ability, because attrition-less combat scenarios promoted by these revive abilities are not good for the game – especially in SP where the human player can go through dozens of combat with zero losses.

Dr_K

@tibbles

Beat me to it. Haha. Also the mod tools are quite robust. They’re not flawless, but I think based on what I’ve personally seen, the mods will outdo those from Shadow Magic. 2 days ago, I found out how to design a new class. Now I’m in the pre-design stages laying out my tech tree and designing new units at the theoretical level, but from what I’ve seen early on these tools are more than enough. Course now I’m juggling Variants Arsenal and an entirely new class, so…

Still, mod tools are great!

How did you go about creating a new class?

I’ve tried following the guide that Aerlynn made a while ago, but I ended up being unable to successfully make one. There was one of the steps that I couldn’t replicate, which the given method was apparently a bit “hacky” according to the guide. Specifically the one where you need to add your class to the leader unit set.

So the mod adds the class so that it can be selected in leader creation, but it fails to load when generating a new game. Have you successfully gotten that far?

Garresh

HM. I only have just started out, so I haven’t got anything to show for it. Maybe Ill run into some hiccups. Not sure.

Dr_K

HM. I only have just started out, so I haven’t got anything to show for it. Maybe Ill run into some hiccups. Not sure.

Ah ok, I wasn’t sure if you had played around with the mechanics behind it at all.

I will probably try altering the one that was posted with the guide instead of making one from scratch. Hopefully, that will go better.

Gloweye

So the mod adds the class so that it can be selected in leader creation, but it fails to load when generating a new game. Have you successfully gotten that far?

This happened with my first Race attempt as well.

For the class stuff, I think the bottleneck’s the same actually. Hero/Leader units and their setting are important, and the game will crash without them.

fulano5321

I would say it is 4x gamers are more respectful and cool to dev for.

That’s probably true, I imagine people in the 4x game genre are more thoughtful in general, as the game is a thinking game rather than a reaction game.

I’ve seen many games not get half this much care after being released.

The thing I like most about Triumph so far is the thought and discussion put into changes, most of them just make sense.

Dr_K

This happened with my first Race attempt as well.

For the class stuff, I think the bottleneck’s the same actually. Hero/Leader units and their setting are important, and the game will crash without them.

I’m pretty sure it it. I knew I didn’t complete everything I was supposed to, but decided to try it anyway.

Is there a work around for windows in which I am supposed to select things, where I can’t read them?

Adding items to the Leader Unit Sets in some file was what I didn’t change, but I kept getting stuck with windows that were too small to see what I was choosing. So I wasn’t sure whether I actually could select the items I needed and had to backtrack through my initial steps.

smeagolheart

…If you could get rid of inflict stun (or change it to inflict dazzle) for sorc supports and desecration for necro, it would really even things out after this.

Dude! This would be great. Inflict stun is too ridiculous. Inflict dazzle would be bad but like that unit is dead like how inflict stun is now.

Garresh

I would say it is 4x gamers are more respectful and cool to dev for.

That’s probably true, I imagine people in the 4x game genre are more thoughtful in general, as the game is a thinking game rather than a reaction game.

I’ve seen many games not get half this much care after being released.

The thing I like most about Triumph so far is the thought and discussion put into changes, most of them just make sense.

Honestly. I don’t buy it. I’ve seen lots of whiners over the last year or so trashing the devs and complaining beyond reason. The real strength here isn’t the fact that its a 4x, but rather that its a small market. As a niche game, the community is more tight knit, and we all sort of know each other. If you start namedropping most of us can say “oh yeah that guy who does [blank]”. The devs have the sense to cater to that, but that doesn’t mean they don’t still have the patience of saints. And even some of the regulars can get a little hotblooded at times. I know I’ve had spats with ExNihil and Bouh for instance, though it never reached the point of outright rudeness so much as just a very heated argument iirc.

Point is, people can be assholes everywhere. We just do a good job putting up a good unified front as a community.

But, I do not see the mass amount of user content I saw with AoW Shadow Magic and I fear poor optimization of the tools for modding is the cause.

I suspect a great deal of this is down to a more robust map generator. SM Generator was serviceable, the current one is great – so good infact that for most players it does whatever they need.

Also, the map editor is more powerful now, but harder to use (so I’ve heard, I’ve only used the current one).

And, ease of use ==> it will be used, with the inverse true.

Garresh

Yep. It crashes whenever I try to launch with a new player class. It appears to be a problem with rendering, as it tries to find a combination of race and class in Lords.cpp or something?

Tombles
    Keymaster

Look in the Pioneer pack, maybe? There are settings that define stuff for each race/class combination and they’re in there.

Garresh

Bout to head to bed but Ill check those tomorrow and post back if that fixes it.

Dr_K

Yep. It crashes whenever I try to launch with a new player class. It appears to be a problem with rendering, as it tries to find a combination of race and class in Lords.cpp or something?

The part that I know I didn’t do was add entries to the settings, category, leader unit sets in the leaders rpk, and got the same result.

I’ll test it when I get back to a computer, but there is a supposedly working class mod here that could probably be altered instead of making it from scratch: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/modding-tutorial-create-a-new-custom-class/

Garresh

Assertion failed: “false”
    Message: [WORLD_ACTIVATE]Could not find a leader unit race (DRACONIAN)
    and class (WARLOCK) and gender (Male) combination.
    d:\source.aow.steam\aow\aowc\source\ageofwonders\gamedata\lord\LordData.cpp(76)

Garresh

I take back what I said. It looks like the source code itself can’t handle a new class actually…

Not sure how I should feel about the lost of iron flesh :S

Dr_K

I take back what I said. It looks like the source code itself can’t handle a new class actually…

I don’t quite buy that yet. The Ritualist class that Aerlynn posted seems to work on all version that I have access to.

There might be problems later in changing the class, but I can successfully start and play a game with a new class based on an existing one.

BB Shockwave

Just one question… what’s “PBEM”?

Thariorn

Just one question… what’s “PBEM”?

Play by Email

Tho, ofc, the current iteration implemented in AoW 3 shoud be more accurately called
    Play by central server dependant filesharing aka PBCSDFS

😛

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.