Patch V1.705 in Open Beta

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Patch V1.705 in Open Beta

This topic contains 132 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  SikBok 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • Author

Draxynnic

It’s due to one of the differences between Steam and GOG: it’s easier to put through quick open beta patches through Steam. I don’t recall the technical details, but that’s why Steam gets the betas, while GOG has to wait until the final patch version.

Thariorn

Although in the future I’d wager this could change, as gog is developing/enhancing their Galaxy client, whcih, as far as I know, is pretty similar to Steam and would most certainly offer live builds akin to Steam.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Is this possible for you to add option that ability can take 2 action points to operate?

We won’t. Sorry.

Also I found some light issues. I think it would be good to fix them officially.
    – Wrong description of Polearm bonus damage (IRL it’s +4, on display was +5).
    – Frostling Scoundrels will have Arctic concealment and Projectile Resistance on Bronze (as other scoundrels have).

We just fixed those, should be in the next update of the patch.

– Fix for hidden +5 research bonus from laboratories and observatories if you learn Magical Structures before Arcane Study

That was already fixed actually, but the patch note for it was missing.

Lobby issues:
    – When in multiplayer lobby hosting a game, clients cant see what the turn timer is set at (this might be good to know sometimes as host might have forgotten to change it).

We’ll have look at this.

– Seal setting appears to reset on reload. (at least on lobby screen)

Could you elaborate on this? Is this in PBEM? How do you trigger the reload?

Reload issues:
    – After reloading savegame, its bit of an annoyance to deal with all the resources gathered popups (could be nice to have option to disable this :-)).

Sorry, we won’t change how that works for this patch.

– In case of production resources, you are able to change previously built structure (with a possibility of gaining a second free building this way).

Can you explain to me which steps to take to make that happen? Not heard of this before and I’m not quite sure how to reproduce the issue here.

I wish there was an easy way to have more than one underground level on the RMG.

I thought someone was looking into making a patch for this.
    We can’t add a feature for this, as its not unlikely to cause memory issues for some users with specific rmg configurations.

I have the gog.com version of AoW3 and there’s no patch available yet.

That’s because this patch is a beta patch. I.e. might be unstable, blow up and/or eat your save games.
    When we have the final version of this patch – the one without the explosions – we’ll make the actual patch available on all platforms simultaneously.

Should I buy the next Triumph game on Steam instead? They seem to get quicker patches.

See above. And GoG Galaxy might change things here. Not sure since we’ve never used that system to update games on GoG yet.

Jolly Joker

I’m sure someone brought this up already, but is it possible to patch the game so that Leaders are not going into the void immediately upon Swallowed Whole? Technically, when Swallowed Whole they are not dead, so that’s a bit awkward, because you have no chance to rescue a Swallowed Leader by killing the Glutton.

I’m also quite astonished that the Necromancer is deemed “balanced.” Even considering “autocombat”, I think there are a couple of issues. A very real advantage of the Necro is a) the fact that they can settle everywhere without any penalty and b) that their troops cannot be converted, seduced and charmed and are immune against Invoke Death (after Harbingers of Death) which helps a lot when clearing Lost Cities and Castles of the Lich King. So Necro has good play even with the following balance adjustments I humbly suggest. 🙂

1) Stiffen Limbs is too powerful; it is guaranteed to work and duration is for the whole combat. Reducing movement also means reducing action points, and there are a lot of creatures that will be completely helpless, being able to move only 2 hexes. I think there are some ways to balance this. In my mod it has a duration of 3 turns and costs only 6 Mana. It would probably be better to leave it as it is, but give it an attack value of, say, 12, and as failure effect the same as for Curse. Or so.

2) Whispers of the Fallen is also too powerful. Even on weakest defender setting, your average gold mine nets 9 research points. However, there is not only the sheer net research gain that makes this so powerful, having a steerable influx of research points also means, you waste less (and save turns). Example: say you have 55 research, and you know you can explore a gold mine next turn for a gain of 9. Usually it would pe impractical to research this. But with this, you can pick it; then next turn you research the tech on the fly, and after that you are not forced to pick a new research – you can just collect everything, and at the end of the turn you can start thinking about your next research. In my Mod I reduced the gain from 3 per killed tier to 2. That’s stil an immense gain.

3) In larger battles – and even in autocombat since I just watched a Bone Collector reaching 180 HPs – Bone Collectors are just becoming immensely powerful when they Collect Bones a couple of times. In my Mod I put a cooldown of 2 turns on the ability. I don’t know whether that’s good, though. But I suppose it would ease the effect.

4) Greater Reanimate Dead – now this is a very powerful ability, and this has been discussed a lot. To make it simple, move it to L9 at least.

5) Same thing with Inflict Ghoul Curse – just move it to L11 at least.

I also strongly suggest to remove POUNCE from Tigran Berserkers and Manticore Riders. These two units both have CHARGE, and a Charging unit shouldn’t Pounce and vice versa. The Tigran Berserker for 75 Gold is already a monster, and the same is true for the Manticore Rider: it’s in effect defensive Strike without retaliation and 10 hex range – if the Manticore Rider is supposed to get something special (not that it would be necessary) it might be Sun Spear (hurled by the Rider).
    So this is a case where logic and balance go hand in hand. 🙂

SikBok
    Keymaster

I’m sure someone brought this up already, but is it possible to patch the game so that Leaders are not going into the void immediately upon Swallowed Whole? Technically, when Swallowed Whole they are not dead, so that’s a bit awkward, because you have no chance to rescue a Swallowed Leader by killing the Glutton.

Just checked with the team. From what we can see there’s nothing special in place for leaders to put them into the void until the unit actually dies. There might be the ‘leader flying away’ effect that plays, but the leader should not technically be in the void.

Do you have a save game and steps for reproduction for this issue? So we can go have a look? If so, please send them to aow3support@triumphstudios.com.

Draxynnic

I think part of necromancer being “balanced” is that it’s a fairly complicated class with a lot of things you need to do and a lot of tricks on top that can be exploited… but if you don’t have everything working together, it tends to fall down.

And the AI is not very good at keeping everything moving.

Competitive multiplayer players and other skilled players are very good at exploiting all of the little wrinkles, like micromanaging Whispers of the Fallen for highly efficient research. The thing is, players at this level are also people that can be expected to look into (or design themselves) mods that adjust the balance accordingly. In an environment where tournaments and the like are organised by the community and the organisers can agree on a mod to use, the most important people for the official balance to suit are not the top-end players.

It’s the players who have relatively low investment, who mostly if not exclusively play single-player against the AI, and who may not have figured out all the tricks yet… the players for whom the official balance will be their first taste of the game, and who may not think to look for mods if they don’t like it.

Now, your specific changes are probably not going to mess up the balance for those players… although the delayed access to the hero skills might make it feel less necromancer-y to them. However, I think the general principle is to balance for the people who aren’t engaged enough to use mods to adjust the balance to their liking.

I will say, though, that #3 looks like a case of working as intended to me. 😛

Stiffen Limbs is too powerful; it is guaranteed to work and duration is for the whole combat.

This reminds me: I have come across a bug (pre-patch), which may was associated with Stiffen Limbs but I’m not sure, whereby a hero ends up with permanently reduced move in combat. They have a normal move in the strategic map, but when they go into combat, it takes then 12mp to move one hex

I can probably chase up before and after saves, but I don’t know what it was that made it happen.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  Draxynnic.

SikBok
    Keymaster

This reminds me: I have come across a bug (pre-patch), which may was associated with Stiffen Limbs but I’m not sure, whereby a hero ends up with permanently reduced move in combat. They have a normal move in the strategic map, but when they go into combat, it takes then 12mp to move one hex

I can probably chase up before and after saves, but I don’t know what it was that made it happen.

If you have a before save and steps to reproduce, I’d love to have those Drax. If it is a ‘cast spell on hero’ we can figure out what’s going wrong from there.

Jolly Joker

@ Drax
    I think, I disagree a lot. Your point is something like, the AI cannot play Necro well anyway – but your points haven’t got much influence on it. Also casual players can’t play Necro well – but since when do you balance the game around the beginners? Let’s see about the AI:

1) Stiffen Limbs; AI priority is HIGH for both Research and Casting – of course this could be set to VERY HIGH;

2) Whispers of the Fallen; AI Research priority is only Medium, should obviously be very high. I don’t know how the AI strategy spell casting priorities work. In any case, if you make something weaker that the AI doesn’t use – where is the problem?

3) Well, yes, I know it’s intended, and the AI uses the skill a lot, but the problem is while humans know how to handle this, it’s THE AI who has the problem handling this kind of threat. 🙂 So easing this skill a bit is making it easier for the AI to play AGAINST super massive Bone Colectors.

4) and 5) Same thing here. The AI is playing conservatively with Heroes which means, Inflict Ghoul Curse on a hero will be less effective with the AI; pushing it further away is therefore no problem for the AI. Inflict Ghoul Curse has – correctly – only Medium priority (because the AI is keeping their heroes back, casting, using abilities, shooting and so on). With Greater Reanimate, the AI priority is High ONLY. You could set this to VERY High, which would result in the AI reanimating fallen undead opponents as well.

So that means, my sugestions would make human-led Necro weaker and independently from that AI Necro could be made better with just a few priority changes.

I also think that it’s pretty obvious that Pounce on Tigran Manticore Riders and Berserkers is not only illogical, since they are CHARGING units, but also too much (for a ridiculously low price).

SikBok
    Keymaster

As noted earlier, we are pretty happy with the current balance of the game. For us that means we’ve done most of the changes that made sense to all our players. That includes how necromancer works.

Most of the changes that are discussed now have both good pro and con arguments for making the change. If that’s the case, we are unlikely to make such a change and therefore encourage the use of the mod tools.

Jolly & Drax, feel free to continue the balance discussion but please do so in another topic. I would like to keep this topic for patch reminders, suggestions and reports of big dramatic explosion with the latest build : )>

Jolly Joker

I sent the file concerning Swallow Whole and Leader into the Void.

I thought, Necro OP was a given, debatable only what and how and why exactly. Since this doesn’t seem to be the case, though, and I didn’t want to start a new discussion about that (since that is obviously futile), I consider the discussion as finished. 🙂

RomeoReject

Aw neat! Can’t wait to see what’s next, I love this game. =)

Griffith

Griffith wrote:

– Seal setting appears to reset on reload. (at least on lobby screen)

Could you elaborate on this? Is this in PBEM? How do you trigger the reload?

This is when you reload a match in live multiplayer. The Seal setting appears blank even though you had previously altered its settings. You can also make changes to the setting when reloading (which seems kinda strange), but I’m not sure if it actually affects the game (maybe I can test it later).

Griffith wrote:

– In case of production resources, you are able to change previously built structure (with a possibility of gaining a second free building this way).

Can you explain to me which steps to take to make that happen? Not heard of this before and I’m not quite sure how to reproduce the issue here.

When reloading a live multiplayer game, the game gives all those “resource collected” -popups, production resources included. I think you wont get these popups if you’re the host, playing as yourself (since the game seems to remember your choices in that case)? Anyway, when you get the popup for production resource, you can simply alter your previous choice, and gain a second free structure. 🙂

We just tested it again to make sure, heres the save file. If you choose Caramon as the leader you will see he has 1 production resource popup. Previously I had selected Dreadnoughts Foundry from the resource, now you can select Stables of Vigour to the town, and get to keep both.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  Griffith.

ezysquire

Hi, I’m having trouble downloading the latest version of the open beta patch. I downloaded the original patch successfully and was able to opt in and out with success to continue my PBEM games. However, since the update to the patch I have not been able to download the new version. The download hangs at 0%, not starting. I have attempted to verify the game cache but this does not fire either. Please help! This is a great game and I hope to keep playing it.

ezysquire

I found a fix, happy days.

Arnout
    Keymaster

Good to hear you solved the problem 🙂

Yigg

Thanks much for the answers, Sikbok. Triumph has been my favorite studio for years, and I can’t wait to see what you lay on us next.

Kruel

Is there an easy way to switch between 1.705 and 1.704? I’d like to be able to go back to 1.704 as most games are still being played in it.

Prodigal Sun

Great to see you’re still taking care of this wonderful game! Sadly I have little to no time to play nowadays, but I try to read here a bit from time to time as all the memories are precious. =]

Stormwind

Is there an easy way to switch between 1.705 and 1.704? I’d like to be able to go back to 1.704 as most games are still being played in it.

On that topic I wish there was an easier way to swap out mods besides leaving the game! But yeah right now my PBEM’s are a mess, some have beta patch no mods, some have beta patch and mods, some have no beta and mods, some have no beta no mods! And I always guess wrong when I start up!

Kruel

How do you switch back to 1.704 from 1.705?

Draxynnic

Basically the same way as you switched to 1.705, but in reverse:

Right-click the game in the library
    Select “Properties” (at the bottom of the list)
    Choose the “BETAS” tab (fourth from the left)
    Click on the “Select the beta you would like to opt into:” menu
    Select “NONE – Opt out of all beta programs”

That should revert you to 1.704. If not, come back and report it – if it doesn’t work there’s probably a bug somewhere.

Kruel

Yeah I tried that already, but there are no other options available in the drop down menu other than “open_beta” which is locked in.

LordCameron

Awesome! I’m excited to look at this new property!

No. We’re happy with where balance is at the moment. Most discussion are either for a specific mode – e.g. PBEM – or things on which opinions differ. Both of these are best dealt with by modding.

That’s probably for the best. Balance is for some part subjective and for another part context dependent.

Well im looking forward to what this super secret strategy game is.

Did they even say it was strategy?

LordCameron

Yeah

Gloweye

Yeah

doesn’t say that there to me….the most specific was “appeals to the average AoW player”. Well, that and 64-bit.

SikBok
    Keymaster

There’s a new version of the patch available. To force the update use ‘Verify integrity of game cache…’ under ‘Properties – Local Files’ in the game’s context menu.

Patch note for this one is:

• The Magical Structures Skill no longer gives the – unintended – Arcane Study bonus.
    • The Polearm ability description now – correctly – states it give a +4 damage bonus. It used to say +5 which was incorrect.
    • Frostling Scoundrels now have Projectile Resistance on Bronze, like the other Scoundrels.
    • Fixed an interface issues where properties would display ‘Unknown Property Source!’ when it could not find the source of the property. Instead of displaying the property’s screen name.
    • Fixed a graphics glitch for one of the human male hairdos.
    • Fixed a geometry gap in the city walls of arctic city battles.

These were added to the patch notes in the OP

Also, if you are playing the open beta version please post something like “I’m playing the open beta on [linux , mac, windows]”. This will give me something of an indication of how many people are helping us test these builds.

p.s. hope to get back to you guys & girls on the posts above, but not sure if I’ll make it before the weekend.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  SikBok.

Kruel

With the updated version the option to opt out is thankfully now available. Cheers

Draxynnic

I’m playing on Windows, although I’m not sure I’ll have much time to do so this week.

rohirrimelf

thanx devs

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.