PBEM – 2 bugs and 1 potential issue with one recent fix

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support PBEM – 2 bugs and 1 potential issue with one recent fix

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  patiponp202 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hiliadan

It’s time to report 2 long-standing bugs:
    1/ sometimes, people can not properly join open games. I never experienced it myself but people trying to join my games did and from what I understood, the issue appeared when they clicked on “select” to select their leader. In at least one occurrence, it crashed the game (the player checked and he had the same mod as me enabled and all other 6 players with the same mod were able to join earlier).
    From what I observed, I see 2 potential (and related causes):
    – in the latest example where it occured, everybody had joined the game and it was full at 8/8, then I changed the order of people (e.g. moved the player on slot 2 to slot 4 and vice-versa, etc.) then I clicked on “Apply”. The name of several players had turned red before I clicked on apply and some stayed red after, other just seemed to have been ejected out of the game (name not appearing), however they were still in the list when I hovered my mouse over the game name in the game selection screen but without “(ready)” next to their name. I tried to re-enter the game, they had re-apparead in the list of names but were not affected to one slot: I affected them, clicked on “Apply”, left, came back and the order had changed! And some (other) players had disappeared. I tried multiple times and it kept changing.
    After that, one of the player (AlXStormrage) was not able to join any more and when he reached the screen to select his leader, the game crashed.
    I tried to kick him out and he rejoined: same result.
    You can see his debug mode log here: http://www.my-league.com/games/Array7Array/downloads/screens/47Array69/Array7Array/47Array69Bug.png He has a file too if you need.
    – in another example where I have a game open for weeks to let people know about the-battlefield.com to know the passwords of games we organize there, many people join and then I kick them out. But I received PM (through the emailing system of the PBEM “choice of games” screen) of several people telling me they could not join.

So I feel that in both cases, the game considers a player is in the slot the other player tries to enter, thus it rejects its player from joining.
    Maybe a cache issue? (since the problem seems to grow with time as I observed in my game opened for weeks)

2/ I am not sure if it is a 100% reproducible bug because I was not able to test recently but it works very often in any case… If you activate the turn timer BEFORE the 1st turn of a game is played, the game just skips the turn of the 1st player (I think it happens only if that player is not the host) because the turn timer goes to 0 directly.

And 3/ the change you brought with the email notifying everyone when a host generates the world for the 1st time seems not to work as I discovered involuntarily today.
    I launched a game for the 1st turn and I was the 1s player so it generated the world, I played my turn then pressed End of turn. Unfortunately, I had forgotten I had no wifi because I had turned it off to save battery. So obviously the upload failed (“Cannot connect to stunt server”). No problem I thought: I re-opened and expected to find my turn where I left it. I didn’t! Instead it generated the world again…
    I thought: “oh shit, I’ll have to explain what happened to people who will have received 2 emails saying I generate the world”. No again! People received only 1 such email (at least I did) and it was sent together with the email saying it was the 2nd player’s turn.
    So 2 issues here:
    – it re-generated the world instead of opening the save (or there was no save?? but why didn’t it save, it did save the 2nd time when the upload worked)
    – it seems the “world generation” email is sent just before the turn is uploaded. It should be send just after you generate the world, otherwise, you can still do what I reported to you earlier by email

Have fun solving these! 😛

SikBok
    Keymaster

Hi,

We had a look at these three. Here’s the conclusions:

1. Unfortunately the report itself doesn’t have enough information for us to find the exact issue, nor did a quick test here yield anything resembling the issue described. So – until we have a solid method of reproduction (mor) – we won’t pursue this one any further. We’d suggest closing the session and hosting a new session if this occurs.
    2. Again, we’d like a solid mor before we spend time on this.
    3. We’ll be having a look at this one, aiming to resolve it in the patch currently in beta.

Hiliadan

I tried to reproduce with someone (gladis) who helped me!

1/ try to join games 12924 and 12132 (“the-battlefield.com/aow3 for games” and “Join for information on PBEM Tournament”) and you’ll see what happens.
    gladis tried and when he reached the leader selection screen, he was not able to click on “Select”. He told me it was greyed. Unfortunately, I cannot try myself as I don’t have 2 accounts.
    That’s for the “game open for weeks” part of the issue. I was not able to try to reproduce the “change slots” way so far.

2/ I was not able to fully reproduce this one because I think I did something wrong, but I still have an interesting result. Here is what I did:
    a/ create game with 2 players without turn timer, me in first slot
    b/ after the game appears in the lobby, add turn timer to 1 day
    c/ when game is ready (other player joined), launch it
    d/ remove wifi and end turn, the upload fails (I was testing for issue 3/, see below) and you get brought back to the lobby
    e/ wait
    ==> a few seconds later, it wrote “(Timer expired)” and now, it’s written “Not your turn” and below “(Timer expired)”. Still, when I hover over it, it says “It’s your turn”. Game ID is 14421, Hiliadan’s Game. I think I bugged the server because the map is not generated but it wants to skip my turn, so it can’t do anything.

To fully reproduce the issue, I think you need to do this:
    a/ create game with 2 players without turn timer, host in SECOND slot (not first)
    b/ add turn timer
    c/ launch, it creates the world and then sends turn to the other guy
    ==> it skips his turn
    I’m going to test ASAP.

3/ so as you can see in 2/, I did try it. And this time, it did send the email when I created the world. As the game is now broken, I cannot see what happens when I reload it so I’ll have to test again later. 😛

On an unrelated note, do you guys have a date for the fix for the issue AlX and I reported simultaneously? I reported it to Eric directly.
    We would like to wait for it to be fixed before starting our PBEM Duel Tournament.

Hiliadan

I further investigated.

1/ for the “change slot” issue, I did it on game 14422 “Hiliadan’s Game2” and I was able to reproduce the issue of player not able to select his leader (triggered an “assertion failed” in the debug).
    How to reproduce:
    a/ create a game
    b/ let one player join
    c/ change his slot (move him from #2 to #1 for instance): his name becomes red and he appears “(not ready)”
    d/ then kick him out (I think that’s not even necessary, he cannot join back himself actually, but was not able to test this time)
    e/ let another player join: when he tries to select a slot and a leader, it doesn’t work

Hiliadan

I guess I can close the games 14421 and 14422? Or would it be useful for your investigation that I keep them open?

El_Lobo1986

Hi there,

I have the problem described above too. In the PBEM Duel Tournament 2017 my opponent hosted the game and then set his position to number 2 in due to the tournament rules. When I try to enter the game crashes when clicking on “select”. I tried it several times always with the same result.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  El_Lobo1986.

Arnout
    Keymaster

Hi El_Lobo1986, any chance you have a debug log of this error?

Hiliadan

You can try to join game #15516 (Duel Tournament #22; password is battlefield) on slot #1 to see for yourself. DarkRider tried to join it and it crashed his game similarly to what happened to El Lobo.
    To complete what he said, I suspect the host did a similar thing to me: host, stay in #1, then after it’s hosted, move to #2. Then the 2nd player tries to join on #1 and it crashes.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Hiliadan.

bishmanrock

I suspect the host did a similar thing to me: host, stay in #1, then after it’s hosted, move to #2.

Hi, host here, can confirm I did the above and that’s what appeared to cause the issue.

2/ I was not able to fully reproduce this one because I think I did something wrong, but I still have an interesting result. Here is what I did:
    a/ create game with 2 players without turn timer, me in first slot
    b/ after the game appears in the lobby, add turn timer to 1 day
    c/ when game is ready (other player joined), launch it
    d/ remove wifi and end turn, the upload fails (I was testing for issue 3/, see below) and you get brought back to the lobby
    e/ wait
    ==> a few seconds later, it wrote “(Timer expired)” and now, it’s written “Not your turn” and below “(Timer expired)”. Still, when I hover over it, it says “It’s your turn”. Game ID is 14421, Hiliadan’s Game. I think I bugged the server because the map is not generated but it wants to skip my turn, so it can’t do anything.

To fully reproduce the issue, I think you need to do this:
    a/ create game with 2 players without turn timer, host in SECOND slot (not first)
    b/ add turn timer
    ==> it skips his turn
    I’m going to test ASAP.

I’ve just had a similar issue. Not 100% sure how I did it – I feel that I may have set up the game then set the turn timer after the game had gone live but before the player had joined position #1. When El_Lobo joined the game was showing both the “It is your turn” and “Turn timer expired” message against El_Lobo, meaning he couldn’t take his turn.

Removed turn timer which appears to have worked, but wouldn’t let me start the game until I did.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting all.
    And thanks for posting – Hiliadan – and confirming – Bishmanrock – the exact MoR.

Booked a ticket to have a look at that specific MoR.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Look for ‘Fixed PBEM issue when swapping slots in setup.’ in upcoming patch notes. Should be another bug that bites the dust.

Hiliadan

b/ add turn timer
    ==> it skips his turn

Did you try this one too? It’s very common to have this bug happen.

SikBok
    Keymaster

Yes, we double checked the exact MoR and the player on slot 1 – not the Host on slot 2 – was the first to play a turn and it was turn 1.

Hiliadan

Ok but you mean this bug is fixed too? Because there was 1 bug of turn skipped because timer expired, and 1 bug of “unable to join game” because of issues with slots empty but not really. And your changelog seems to deal only with the later.

SikBok
    Keymaster

We fixed a generic issue with hosts not being in slot 1, as indicated in the patch note.

As noted we’ve tested the specific MoR you noted above and several others known to us. So, we assume all issues involving the host changing slot, not being in slot one, etc. are fixed.

If there are any left we’d like to hear about them.

Hiliadan

1/ for the “change slot” issue, I did it on game 14422 “Hiliadan’s Game2” and I was able to reproduce the issue of player not able to select his leader (triggered an “assertion failed” in the debug).
    How to reproduce:
    a/ create a game
    b/ let one player join
    c/ change his slot (move him from #2 to #1 for instance): his name becomes red and he appears “(not ready)”
    d/ then kick him out (I think that’s not even necessary, he cannot join back himself actually, but was not able to test this time)
    e/ let another player join: when he tries to select a slot and a leader, it doesn’t work

This does not seem to have been fixed.
    Another MoR is:
    1/ create a game with you in position #1
    2/ after the game is created, move to position #2 (or another)
    3/ let another player join in position #1, when he tries to select a slot and a leader, it doesn’t work

Hiliadan

b/ add turn timer
    ==> it skips his turn

This bug is also still there.
    So the 2 bugs reported here (turn skipped because timer expired, and “unable to join game” because of issues with slots empty but not really) are all still there.

DarkRider88

We had timer issue . The turn timer expired immediately after it was turned back on without giving enough time. Also during a period of time the game slot was blocked

Hiliadan

These 2 bugs are still there and happen pretty often:
    PBEM turn timer expires immediately and skips player’s turn

b/ add turn timer
    ==> it skips his turn

Players unable to join a PBEM game
    Method of reproduction #1

player not able to select his leader (triggered an “assertion failed” in the debug).
    How to reproduce:
    a/ create a game
    b/ let one player join

Method of reproduction #2

1/ create a game with you in position #1
    2/ after the game is created, move to position #2 (or another)
    3/ let another player join in position #1, when he tries to select a slot and a leader, it doesn’t work

Hiliadan

Still the case. As I didn’t get a “it’s added to the list of things to check for the next patch”, I bump this up. 😛

Hiliadan

Still the case. As I didn’t get a “it’s added to the list of things to check for the next patch”, I bump this up. 😛

Still not fixed, see post #270623 http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/pbem-2-bugs-and-1-potential-issue-with-one-recent-fix/#post-270623

patiponp202

Thanks for the good ideas to bring it. I know a lot more.
    ufabet

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.