Eternal Lords PBEM 2v2 Match – Team Beta Champion Blog

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Eternal Lords PBEM 2v2 Match – Team Beta Champion Blog

This topic contains 51 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Kathyxyz 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

LordTheRon

I’ll hyperlink the journals from this first post to make navigating through the thread more easy.

Turn 1: Selenia Rowlar
    Turn 2: Selenia Rowlar
    Turn 3: Selenia Rowlar
    Turn 4: Selenia Rowlar
    Turn 5 Selenia

Selenia the Unforgiving turn 1

Welcome to the Dark Side! You have heard the calling and found us. We are the masters of death, fire, shadows and… nature, yes nature too, I always forget that. Oh and we have cats too. Big cats with pointy teeth! I Selenia the Unforgiving joined forces with Rowlar the Warden (don’t let the name fool you) of the Tigrans. We will rule these lands sooner or later.

I was taught the fine arts of Necromancy by my great, great Elven grand aunt Gantriss. I found out that I had quite the talent, when I turned her into a Ghoul after just a few months of lessons. She became rather useless after that sadly, so I had to feed her to a Bone Collector. I still have fond memories of her though…

You might notice I discovered a shadowy side of myself and before I knew it people started calling me a Shadowborn mistress. That fame gives me the advantage of cheaper pikemen, archers, cavalry and infantry. The thing with Necromancy though is that it’s fun and all. You can do great stuff with cold and blight magic, but most Necromancers shy away from fire. Not me! I made sure my supposed weakness would be another strength and so I became a Fire apprentice.

My lovely Coat of Arms

“Before I even set a foot on this world the rumours of my fame have spread and a hero offers his services to me, an Elven Warlord called Girron Arrowflock. He brings ranged command to the table. That could be really useful later on as my longbowmen are dangerous already, but having the extra ranged strength only makes them more frightening.

Girron Arrowflock

As you can see I control a nice Undead city that produces ghouled Elves. Ghouls don’t have a morale, so they tend to listen way better than normal Elves. They DO have slightly less defence and a small spirit weakness in return, but I couldn’t care less. This is something I can fix!

Ghouled Unicorns

Besides being ghouled these Elves are Undead too, largely protecting them from blight. Hadn’t this been Elves I could have made them resistant to blight, but alas. We’ll surely find other races to convert. Undead have some other disadvantages, but like I said, I’ll fix this later. The good thing is that we Elves have a high resistance in general, thus offsetting some of these elemental weaknesses already.

Undead Stormsisters

But first let’s take a look at my lovely capital of Illuman. See those little gravestones everywhere. I put them there myself!

Harvesters Guild

As you can see here I need those gravestones badly to grow my Undead village. Every extra skull means we grow. The more dead bodies the merrier! The harvesters guild was already built here. It provides 200 fresh skulls each turn.
    Since my aunt was eaten I had to come up with new spells myself. Luckily she left me some very interesting old spellbooks. I need to start exploring these lands but my ghouls aren’t that useful if I want to cross mountains and bodies of water. Digging through aunties book I find a spell to summon Lost Souls. Exciting!

Lost Souls research

I send out my first scouts to see what surrounds me and this is not bad at all. Scouting reveals scrolls of knowledge, a gold pickup, a mana pickup, a cartographer’s tent and a refugee camp and a treasure. After clearing the node close to my capital, I’m going for the scrolls first as I could use that research boost and hopefully get access to Lost Souls straightaway.

Attacking the scrolls I put my fire knowledge to good use to instakill some wisps. It’s an easy victory and I gain another 100 skulls for Illuman. Necromancers have slow growth in their cities, but after winning fights they get extra bodies to grow their cities. Like I said, the more dead bodies the merrier.

Skulls after battle

What’s better is that those scrolls hold the key to the Lost Souls. Next up I’ll improve my Necromancer skills since I want to be more flexible and to be able to summon those Lost Souls quicker.

Scrolls

As a final note to myself I’ve started building a builders hall first in my village. I need that extra production badly to get my undead machine going.

Low_K

Thanks for the write-up, looking forward to more!

Good luck all!

Kind regards,

Low

LordTheRon

Thanks. A lot more to come! But not all entries will be as long as this one. 🙂 We’re doing seperate team threads to keep it an interesting game for all of us. We won’t look in the dev thread till the game is concluded and vice versa.

Diair

Will Jomungur post his side of things in this thread as well?

LordTheRon

Yep!

Arlow

thanks so much, these little looks fill the wait time for the expansion, great job

Eomolch

Your poor grand aunt 🙁

😀

Jokerface

Hey, anybody else constantly find the scrolls that support your current studies?

Talk about luck…

Epaminondas

Is there a particular performance reason why you chose a High Elf Necromancer rather than any other race? That is, do High Elves make a particularly good fit for the class?

Relatedly, what other races would be good fits for the Necromancer class?

LordTheRon

Is there a particular performance reason why you chose a High Elf Necromancer rather than any other race? That is, do High Elves make a particularly good fit for the class?

Relatedly, what other races would be good fits for the Necromancer class?

I’m not going for the best combo per se here, but I did pick Elves with a purpose. A nice boon for Elven Necromancers is that their higher resistance offsets part of the elemental weaknesses that come with having ghouled and thus undead units.

Most races do fine with Necromancers, it’s mostly a matter of taste and playstyle imho. That said Dwarves make a very nice combo because of their sturdiness and access to the fire damage channel.

Gloweye

That said Dwarves make a very nice combo because of their sturdiness and access to the fire damage channel.

Also because their racial bonus Defense means that they don’t suffer as badly from the Ghoul Defense malus.

I personally am in love with the Shadowborn Elf Warlord, but to each his own I guess.

And it eliminates the blight weakness iirc.

Not sure yet what my favourite Necro combo is. Each brings good things to the table with significant drawbacks.

@ Gloweye, rematch?

esvath

Oh, those poor unicorns! I don’t know whether I could bring myself to ghoulify a High Elf city…

Can I ghoulify dwellings? Having a ghouled dragon would be interesting!

Gloweye

And it eliminates the blight weakness iirc.

Nope, only 80% protection on Elf Ghouls.

@ Gloweye, rematch?

Sure thing. I’ll send you the game password on Steam. I believe you had a pretty rough start last game, and I got lucky with my two Theocrat heroes, including Raknor the Crusader having Holy Champion pre-learned. I remember those Holy Champion Elf Archers ripping through your rush stacks at an impressive speed. I even got a 3rd Theocrat a little later. Along with 2 Hearts and a Naga Dwelling, and I was about to get a Vassalage with a Dragon Dwelling, which gave a quest to raze a city that would neatly keep my alignment on the right side.

Jomungur

Rowlar the Warden (Turn 1) Tigran Archdruid; Creation Master; Partisan

I heard him approach long before he could see me. As he crossed the entryway into the sacred plain, I could feel his footsteps on the rocks as though he were stepping on my own skin, and his distinctive tigran scent filtered to my senses through the sagebrush. The eagles and ravens native to my lands that flew overhead conveyed his image to me, although seeing him through multiple eyes formed a strange composite image in my mind’s eye. He knew that I was aware of him too, of course, as it is well known that no one can surprise an archdruid in communion with his bonded lands.

As he finally made his way to the edge of the promontory where I sat, he paused for a moment, resting after the exertion and enjoying the view. Like all tigrans, he was most comfortable in the rocky barrens and badlands that surrounded us. From his vestments I could tell he was of the order of theocrats of Yaka. His presence here, far from the desert monasteries, hinted at something portentous. I broke my trance and opened my eyes.

“Respected Wise One,” he began, “forgive me for the interruption. I have come at an urgent request of King Ailuros, who…”

“Please,” I interrupted. “you can dispense with the formalities. Call me by my given name, Rowlar”.

The theocrat nodded. “Rowlar, I am Chakraz the Radiant, and his Majesty has sent me with an urgent request. As you know, we have only recently settled on this continent and our forces are still feeble. But we have heard rumors of a tyrant in the east who is mobilizing for war against us. King Ailuros has ordered that you spearhead our initiative to thwart him.”

I studied Chakraz. He did indeed seem to exude a certain, holy glow like a halo. “All and well, but this is a task for a warrior, not a druid. I know little of raising armies and mass warfare”.

“Not that I would accuse you of false modesty, but your prowess in combat through archery and your command of druidic magic is well known in the realms. You are unsurpassed in the use of light and irregular forces, which I remember you used to great effect in the Draconian War. Moreover, we have reason to believe that the nature of the force is something darker and more nefarious than a conventional army. Our foe is no mere mortal, but a necromancer bent on corrupting the land itself. He is mad, like all necromancers. And he has sworn to eradicate the realms of all cats and cat-like beings. We have heard rumors of vivisections and animal sacrifices, blood magic, strange rituals…even harder to credit, but no less persistent, is a rumor that he is creating an army of undead, bloodthirsty animals to do his bidding.”

This got my attention. Recently a number of penguins, animals rarely seen in these parts, had sought refuge in the surrounding barrens, which was unusual. They seemed greatly disturbed, but were unable to me explain exactly what had happened to them. But if they were being converted to ghouls…

“Very well,” I answered. “I will lead this task and see what I can do.”

“I have been ordered to accompany you”. I raised an eyebrow. While theocrats tolerate archdruids, they don’t see eye to eye and rarely travel together, much less join common cause. “I know druids prefer only their own company, but while you may not trust the gods, I have some powers granted by Yaka that will be of assistance in combating this dark force.”

As we began to walk from the sacred plain, Chakraz brought me up to speed on the state of the kingdom. It had been many months since I had exited my lands. “The nearby tigran village has been ordered to support us in our mission” he continued. “It is a modest village, but has some men of arms who will help us. Also, we have an ally to the south with whom we have common cause. Selenia the Necromancer…”

I paused in shock. “What? That crazy witch? Do you know that she has been bleeding the local unicorns dry for their blood to use for Yaka knows what rituals?” Chakraz grimaced at my minor blasphemy. “And that her corrupted elves feed on their own corpses? I can’t tell you how many animals have fled her forests and come to the barrens for asylum, causing all kinds of problems in my lands. Tigers see deer as food, plain and simple, and it has taken me the greatest effort to persuade them to restrain themselves…”

“She is utterly insane,” agreed Chakraz. “However, she has reasons of her own to oppose this Penguin Lord, or whatever he calls himself. Believe me, I am no fonder of the idea of allying with her than you are. But King Ailuros feels, and I think he is right, that we will need a dark ally of our own to combat this foe. And Selenia is powerful, we cannot doubt that…”

We arrived at the tigran village which, as Chakraz mentioned, was modest indeed. After surveying its meager resources, I started a builder’s hall to enhance production. The local scouts informed me that the surrounding countryside was plagued with bandits and wandering monsters, and we would be well served by clearing these so that we have room to grow and build arms. Moreover, after so many months in meditation I needed some practice to regain my skills and experience at combat.

I surveyed the tigran troops that came with Chakraz. Included were a company of sabretooth chariot riders. These riders were worshippers of Yaka who channeled their devotion into great spears of flame, and the tigers they ride were faster and more dangerous than horses. The rest of the group consisted of one company of cheetahs- fierce Amazon-like tigrans who our enemies underestimated to their own peril and two companies of shredders. All of these troops had some type of range ability; which was my preference.

Along with Chakraz, we encountered a group of human mercenaries guarding some idle production assets. This first battle was a slaughter, as the humans barely knew what hit them. Tigrans may have their weaknesses, but we are by far the fastest troops on the battlefield. As I fired away with my longbow, Chakraz called on holy bolts of divine flame from Yaka.

The sabretooth chariot riders hurled spears of flame. The cheetahs have tremendous range and closed in on the enemy archer in one bound, pouncing on them from afar and retreating into a defensive posture.

We took no losses. After we scavenged the corpses for spare metal, Chakraz led a fire ritual and we cremated the corpses as an offering to Yaka. Although I have no personal attachment to Yaka and would have preferred to let the corpses decay in their natural course, I have decided to follow tigran custom for the benefit of the common troops.

The production assets were valuable indeed and helped quickly produce a druidic henge in the village. This will help increase our population. I turn now to the areas north of the village, and, reluctantly, have sent an emissary out to the south to make contact with Selenia. Hopefully she doesn’t make a ghoul out of him…

Nice reads, thanks! Love the idea of this PBEM documentation.

But are you sure Chakraz is tigran and not a dread monkey? at least from a distance you can guess so….

Jaduggar

This is going to be interesting to read from the perspective of four different players, each trying to construct an individualized story around their own actions. I look forwards to the future of these threads 🙂

esvath

But are you sure Chakraz is tigran and not a dread monkey? at least from a distance you can guess so….

Yeah, his face looks like a gorilla, tbh 😆

Great articles, keep them coming please!

Castaneda

Even back in AOW SM days I enjoyed reading the turn logs almost more than actually playing myself! Great to see this awesome tradition revived. Good luck with the game and the writing! 🙂

NuMetal

@lordtheron & Jomungur:

You did an awesome job with your stories! Great read! 🙂

I do hope though, and this is very important to me, that you plan on recruiting Penguins in any and every possible to taunt Lord Penguin!
    😉

kwibus

This is really great. Looking forward to the next posts.

Like someone else allready said in this thread, these reads can be better then your own games. Specially if they are as well written as these.

Apparently this also happened during the AoW:SM days, but I never followed the online community when I played that game. This reminds me most of the civilisation 4 let’s play threads at civfanatics.com. Before let’s play was done on youtube. I honestly prefer the reads over the live ones.

Keep it up!

LordTheRon

@lordtheron & Jomungur:

You did an awesome job with your stories! Great read! :)

I do hope though, and this is very important to me, that you plan on recruiting Penguins in any and every possible to taunt Lord Penguin! ;)

All your Penguins are belong to us! 😉

This is really great. Looking forward to the next posts.

Like someone else allready said in this thread, these reads can be better then your own games. Specially if they are as well written as these.

Apparently this also happened during the AoW:SM days, but I never followed the online community when I played that game. This reminds me most of the civilisation 4 let’s play threads at civfanatics.com. Before let’s play was done on youtube. I honestly prefer the reads over the live ones.

Keep it up!

That’s nice to hear, we’ll make it as fun as possible. It’s great fun to do this. Hoping to post my next turn tonight.

Epaminondas

I’m not going for the best combo per se here, but I did pick Elves with a purpose. A nice boon for Elven Necromancers is that their higher resistance offsets part of the elemental weaknesses that come with having ghouled and thus undead units.

Most races do fine with Necromancers, it’s mostly a matter of taste and playstyle imho. That said Dwarves make a very nice combo because of their sturdiness and access to the fire damage channel.

Ah, ok; I asked in part because it seemed to me – co-incidentally – that Dwarves (my favorite Theocrat race) would seem to be best, since, like the Theocrat, the Necromancer seems to me like a melee-oriented class that’s going to be eating a lot of ranged punishment before closing. So I was thinking perhaps that I could play the same style Necromancer, if I ever get over my aversion to playing an “evil” class or race.

I personally am in love with the Shadowborn Elf Warlord, but to each his own I guess.

From the responses of you and Lord Ron, it appears that Elves/Dwarves remain the top race choices for many classes (which I certainly won’t complain about, since I play those two races almost-exclusively).

Still, I’d like a more broader perspective on the issue of race balance after the implementation of Racial Governance. More specifically: Would you say that – assuming you are playing a longer SP game and have enough time to max out at least one race of your choosing – that any race is so dramatically boosted by the Racial Governance bonuses so it now challenges for the top when they were average or worse before?

On the alternative: If there is no dramatic shift like this in particular, what races in general would you say were most boosted by the Racial Governance bonuses?

Thanks in advance.

Nice reading guys! Really cool to learn some new features this way. Also the screenshots are very helpful. Good luck in your battles 🙂

LordTheRon

Selenia the Unforgiving turn 2

“Why are we allying with the Tigrans”, Girron asked me when we strolled through the dark forests around Illuman. Wouldn’t it be better to just ghoulify them?”
    “WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY!!! I would never ghoulify a cat, NEVER!” That sure backed him off. But then again, he couldn’t know about my love for cats. I truly believe that cats are sacred, and Rowlar sure has a way about him that sparks my attention. But I knew he thinks I’m a crazy witch. Only through king Ailuros I could persuade him to ally up with me. But then again, Ailuros and I go back a long way.

What’s more worrisome is that I can feel another dark magic is present in these lands. An icy cold dark magic. We’ll have to investigate and eliminate this threat. The dark magic is mine and mine alone!

First things first, we have to meet up with Rowlar, so I sent one of my scouting union guards up north. And what beauty he stumbled upon. One of the great old Necromantic Circles. I’ve hear dear auntie talk about these, but this is the first time I’m seeing the existence of one. It is guarded by Lost Souls and a reanimator who aren’t willing to join my cause. I’ll soon find out what they are hiding.

Necromantic circle

I summon Girron and my army to clear a mine of some Dwarves. They offer surrender, the fools! Like I would let some fresh skulls go their merry ways. The attack gives me a great opportunity to test my skills. In a flurry of dark magic I manage to raise a dead boar rider. The cadaver I summoned is rather weak. I need to sustain it with my dark healing magic, but then again it’s free and does some nasty damage too.

Raise Corpse

After the fight I feel my power grow. Raising that cadaver and healing my undead union guard cost me some energy but what a power I gained. I’ll inflict despair on my enemies with every attack!

Inflict despair

Our ghoul unicorn rider spotted a bandit camp nearby. Very nice, since that’ll only mean more skulls and maybe even another raised corpse. But that’s for tomorrow. First I’ll have to study. My talks with Girron made it clear he’ll need an army of archers of his own soon. Thing is though he can’t heal them. That’s where aunties books and scrolls come in handy again. I read about those famed Reanimators before. Since my union guard met one at the necromantic circle I now know they exist. With a bit of practice we can lure them towards our necromantic tower. They can reanimate my ghouls and travelling with Girron would give them extra powerful black bolts.

Research Reanimator

The future look bright… I mean dark, dark, did I just say bright? Eeeeewwwwww.

Jomungur

From the responses of you and Lord Ron, it appears that Elves/Dwarves remain the top race choices for many classes (which I certainly won’t complain about, since I play those two races almost-exclusively).

Still, I’d like a more broader perspective on the issue of race balance after the implementation of Racial Governance. More specifically: Would you say that – assuming you are playing a longer SP game and have enough time to max out at least one race of your choosing – that any race is so dramatically boosted by the Racial Governance bonuses so it now challenges for the top when they were average or worse before?

On the alternative: If there is no dramatic shift like this in particular, what races in general would you say were most boosted by the Racial Governance bonuses?

Thanks in advance.

It’s hard to say. The racial governance bonuses make all of the races more interesting and allow you to fine-tune your strategy. So if you like using cavalry, for example, there are some races with racial bonuses that skew in that direction. But I wouldn’t say they are overpowered relative to the other races; just that that they work well with a particular play style. And at each level you get a choice of a race bonus (military or economic), so it’s hard to generalize.

I would not say that the elves and dwarves are the top races. (Well, elves are always strong because of their range attack bonuses.) I actually prefer humans now, myself. I like the production bonus and they have some nice racial upgrades that work well with my style of play (mobility, cavalry, use of water, etc.).

Fikol

great stuff! So sad it’s so slow… 🙂 keep it coming please 🙂

JPoll

Just wanna say “Thanks!” for what you´re doing. Your write-ups are very entertaining to read, both of you got a talent there. I´m eager to see the match continued. 😉

Jomungur

Rowlar the Warden (Turn 2) Tigran Archdruid; Creation Master; Partisan

My emissary met Selenia without incident, fortunately. Selenia seems unusually enthusiastic about our temporary alliance, which actually makes me feel less comfortable. What is it about necromancers and their strange giddiness? I have yet to meet one that isn’t plagued by megalomania and delusions of grandeur of some sort: maybe it takes that sort of personality to try and cheat death. Anyway, we now have a common front and are both pushing east. She has spotted a tigran outpost to my east; I have indicated to her that I wish to absorb it for myself and have no intentions to have it turned it into a ghoul factory. In return, I have given her information about an elven village to her southeast.

My scouts have spotted some knowledge scrolls to the north. From my wanderings, I have surmised that this continent was actually occupied by an ancient, advanced civilization that somehow fell to ruin. It is unclear what the nature of this civilization was or its constituents, but they have left artifacts everywhere. The knowledge scrolls are one of these artifacts and they are everywhere. They are not written in a conventional language like ours; rather, they contain thoughtforms condensed in solid form that, when released, create a burst of understanding and insight. At any rate, I gathered my faster troops, including myself, Chakraz, a sabretooth chariot company, and a platoon of cheetahs and raced to the scrolls to recover them.

They were guarded by a phanstasm warrior and two wisps, remnants, no doubt, of the ancient civilization. Using my druidic magic, I summoned a minor creature of the wild. What came to me was a baby hunter spider. The mature version of these beasts is formidable indeed in combat, as they are fast and can teleport in combat. Against elemental creatures, however, its web is useless. At any rate, I charged forward in combat.

Chakraz began the combat in a meditative trance. This is a trait he learned from the theocrat monasteries, no doubt; and it instilled his melee attacks with a divine fire. Armed with his holy symbol, he was well disposed to take care of these elemental creatures.

As for me, I equipped my sturdy longbow. As wood is rare in the barrens, the tigran missile of choice is the projectile blade: a finely sharp, flanged blade that, when properly thrown, can actually curve around obstacles to hit its target. But like all druids, I use the elven longbow out of respect for the elves who founded the first druidic circles. It wouldn’t be as useful against our current enemies, who were resistant to physical attacks, but still useful.

As I had drained my druidic magic for the time being by summoning the spider, Chakraz began my smiting one of the wisps with divine fire from above. It nearly died from that one column, and I was able to easily plink it off from range. I then ordered my troops to circle back behind me and Chakraz to stay out of range. This was easily done with their inherent tigran speed.

The remaining wisp, of course, teleported in a suicide attack and managed to stun my cheetahs. But now my sabretooth rider could hurl their fire spears at close range, pretty much killing the wisp. What remained was the phantasm warrior, and we again retreated to set up multiple range attacks to strike the warrior. Still, the warrior was able to close in on the cheetahs and nearly slayed them before falling to my arrows.

I brought back the knowledge scrolls to my village, and we used the knowledge contained therein to both increase my casting knowledge and acquire the knowledge to train tigran hunters. From here, I will focus my research efforts on continuing to increase my casting abilities.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.