PBEM balance mod

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

This topic contains 343 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Rodmar18 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 344 total)
  • Author

Hiliadan

– Why Undeads, Elementals and creatures of Magical Origin are not affected by the Domain of XX?

Because this is vanilla stuff. Domain of… spells can’t be researched by Necro btw.

I add the “can’t be researched by Necro” thing in the list of descriptions to clarify.

I just got a report that Fey (Magical Origin) do not get the morale bonus of Domain of Winter but do get the +1 ranged damage so it seems like the current implementation does not work perfectly. Could you please have a look?

Zaskow

I add the “can’t be researched by Necro” thing in the list of descriptions to clarify.

I think I won’t add this because I plan to unlock this spell for Necro. Make elemental spheres more useful for Necro, yes. Also in far perspective reconsidering of using Creation sphere (after buffs and remaking) for Necro too…

I just got a report that Fey (Magical Origin) do not get the morale bonus of Domain of Winter but do get the +1 ranged damage so it seems like the current implementation does not work perfectly. Could you please have a look?

Known issue. Won’t fix because plan to unlock this spells for Undeads, Elementals, creatures of Magical Origin, boats and machines too (last 2 not listed in descriptions, but present in editor). These restriction are illogical and harmful for balance (especially Magical Origin).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  Zaskow.

Hiliadan

Issue reported by gladis:

“If you search for Haywire in the Tome, you get These both abilities. This Problem has to to with our balancing mod, if I search for this in the original Version, there is only the correct one shown.
    But another Problem for me: ”

“What is the check for Machines to become Haywire? “

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by  Hiliadan.

Hiliadan

Remaining issues:
    – Combat Healing not working properly (cooldown 4 on start, do not heal on strategic map, separate ability from Healing and with a separate name)
    – Haywire 2nd copy ability must be removed
    – Blood Pavilion in Dungeon does target Undead and Elemental (and Incorporeal I guess, didn’t test) (but causes them no damage), it should not

Hiliadan

3 things to investigate:
    – Blood Pavilion animation in the Dungeon takes a longer time than usual to resolve itself (the animation itself is quick but then it stays 1-2s without doing anything, zoomed on the unit)
    – Is it possible to remove notifications like “mine is occupied” when the unit entering the structure is concealed that can allow a player to find these invisible troops?
    – Mark Blood Sacrifice triggers +10 HP heal for Death Marched units. Could this be prevented?

Zaskow

– Blood Pavilion animation in the Dungeon takes a longer time than usual to resolve itself (the animation itself is quick but then it stays 1-2s without doing anything, zoomed on the unit)

Still looking for fix…

– Is it possible to remove notifications like “mine is occupied” when the unit entering the structure is concealed that can allow a player to find these invisible troops?

I suppose, no.

– Mark Blood Sacrifice triggers +10 HP heal for Death Marched units. Could this be prevented?

Yes.

Hiliadan

Ok then we need to ask to devs for this.

Another issue: Quick Dash does heal Death Marched units. Could you please fix that?

There is apparently an issue on the “removal of cooldown” for Throw Chicken with Brew Brother. Investigating it and I’ll tell you when I know more.

Zaskow

Another issue: Quick Dash does heal Death Marched units. Could you please fix that?

Yes.

Zaskow

1.21 version released! Better visual and, of course, more balance!

Zaskow

driveby

Nourishing Meal doesn’t heal undead as the tooltip specifically indicates that it does (can’t find mention of changed functionality in changelog).

How was death march being abused that warranted such a severe nerfing?

Hiliadan

Yep, I noted that for the description we’ll update for v1.22: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/correcting-incorrect-or-imprecise-descriptions-of-abilities-spells-etc/#post-252181

The initial of spirit of Death March from the devs was not to allow any healing but they never implemented it fully I think, so part of the nerf is just going back to what was planned (all the healing prevention). Then the CP increase is to prevent people from “teleporting” 3 full stacks out of nowhere as soon as they get 60 CP (which can be by turn 25 more or less, as I’m seeing in my tournament game vs DarkRider right now). We had a few examples in big games with cbower among other things. But we’re going to re-introduce in v1.22 a “Scout Death March” for 20 CP usable only on Irregulars, Sphynx excepted.

Jolly Joker

It’s pretty funny that I made a fuss about Death March in 2015 about the Combo of Death March and Healing Powers, but no one seemed to see it THEN. 🙂

Hiliadan

Is it technically feasible to limit the +X melee strength of Lesser Mighty Meek to the physical channel (or the main channel of the unit) and not apply it to all channels?

Also this still needs fixing (for v1.22, no need to push it through now):

Zaskow

Is it technically feasible to limit the +X melee strength of Lesser Mighty Meek to the physical channel (or the main channel of the unit) and not apply it to all channels?

Yes, applying only to physical is possible.

Hiliadan

Something else that needs fixing (I also suggest not to fix immediately as each update causes havoc in many PBEM games):
    – the numerical values of the malus linked to Feral mount for the Befriend Animal skill for Leader (at least) are not correctly displayed (see http://i.imgur.com/yArraytlTGB.jpg). It is displayed {feralMountMovementPenalty} and {feralMountMoralePenalty} instead.

Hiliadan

Changes confirmed for v1.22 so far:
    GC25
    Earth Elemental cannot be obtained as a reward any more in the Forbidden Sanctum

GC37
    Effigy of the Lich King gives Healing Undead and Undying (was Healing Undead and Necromantic Aura)

GC38a
    Spiders spawned by the battle enchantment of Shrine to the Queen of Spiders (Arachnide Hordes) do not provide XP when hit or killed

AD10a
    Baby Spiders and Baby Serpents get the abilities of their evolved state (Spider Queens and Mature Serpent) on Elite, namely:
    Dread Spider Baby: Inflict Severely Poisoned
    Hunter Spider Baby: Inflict Enfeebling Fever
    Vampire Spider Baby: Inflict Exhausting Fatigue
    Baby Reed Serpent and Baby Shock Serpent get +4 MP

Dr08a
    Musketeers do 11 melee damage (was 10) and gets +1 melee damage at Veteran and Elite

Ne15
    Undeads that attack a unit with Necromantic Aura get “Immune to Necromantic Aura” (cannot be dispelled) if the Aura fails its 7 spirit attack check on them. Units with “Immune to Necromantic Aura” cannot be affected by it.

Ne18
    Whispers of the Fallen provide 2 RP per unit tier for each unit killed in combat. Fallen Heroes provide 10 RP (was 3 RP per unit tier and 15 RP)

Th05
    Divine Justicars costs 12 points (was 10)

Wa05
    Researching Death March allows to cast Death March for 60 CP and Individual Death March for 20 CP, which has a similar effect. Individual Death March can only target 1 stack of 1 T1 Irregular (and units can only be targetted once by Death March or Individual Death March).

Ha09i
    Brew Brothers cost 75 gold and 20 mana (was 70 gold and 20 mana)

Ha13
    Halfling Shaman get Nourishing Meal on gold instead of Healing.

Cr04
    Temperate Empire gives +1 defense and +1 resistance to allied units in your domain.

Jolly Joker

With the conversion stuff, you COULD try another road, that I might test with mine, but don’t think is necessary, although it could add some spice.

What I like with SOME of the conversion abilities is the fact that they work against a small part of the available creatures only. Befriend Animal and Control Undead, for example (and there could also be something like a Monster Whisperer).

Charm, Seduce, Convert and even Ghoul Curse might work with “racial modifiers”. To mod this you simply have to make nine different variations of each – Elven Charm, Human Charm, Tigran Charm and so on – and give them all 9 targeters, 1 for each race, with different attack values. So, say Elven Charm would be what Elven Bards and Elven Rogues might get, as an example, and it would have an attack of 9 against fellow Elves, 8 against humans and maybe Frostlings, and a low 5 or 6 for Goblins and Orcs or something like that.

This would make conversion abilities quite feasible against members of your own race, but very difficult against others.

Of course, it’s a bit of work to mod that, but it might be worth a try. As I said, I may make it myself, but I have to check a couple of other things first.

I also have a very different solution from Death March than the one you use in the mod, because I had other ideas about what the spell should be good for.

Zaskow

Charm, Seduce, Convert and even Ghoul Curse might work with “racial modifiers”. To mod this you simply have to make nine different variations of each – Elven Charm, Human Charm, Tigran Charm and so on – and give them all 9 targeters, 1 for each race, with different attack values. So, say Elven Charm would be what Elven Bards and Elven Rogues might get, as an example, and it would have an attack of 9 against fellow Elves, 8 against humans and maybe Frostlings, and a low 5 or 6 for Goblins and Orcs or something like that.

So big amount of work doesn’t guarantee to fix any problems with convert farming.
    Also in my view Charm and Seduce are abilities of magical origin, so when unit uses this them it becomes very seductive/charming in view of its target regardless race. However, these abilities could be limited only to humanoid races. Especially, this limit must be used for Convert – only intelligent species could be religious, when evangelist tries to convert some monster it looks weird.

Jolly Joker

It’s not THAT much work, actually. It’s pretty easy to do as well.

Sure, it’ magic, but I like the idea that things depend on race – I mean, it could be the other way round: you coul give Elves a high value for Seduce, no matter what (Elves are so seductive) and Dwarves a high Convert (the can argue so well). Or top ghould curse for Goblins, because, hell, life as a ghoul is great compared with Goblin.

So that’s a plus, imo, because you have options to balance weigh races.

Hiliadan

Confirmed for v1.22:

GC02a
    Maximum XP interactions (XP counters) for each tier are 6/8/9/10 for tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, tier 4 respectively (was 6/8/10/12)

GC39
    Migration takes a minimum of 2 turns (was 1 turn) + 1 turn every 15 hexes (as before)

Final changelog for v1.22 this Friday (at least final for the beta!).

Hiliadan

And the last changes confirmed for v1.22:
    GC11a
    Units acquired through Ghouling Strike have an upkeep increased by +25% gold/turn

Dr18
    Dreadnought heroes can choose Gas Mask at level 7 for 5 points: units in the stack led by this unit get 40% Blight Protection and immune to Choking Fumes, Suffocate and Disgusting Stench. Undead, Elemental, Machines and Incorporeal are not affected.

Dr19
    Dreadnought heroes can choose Lava Walking for 4 points at level 9, it also gives them 100% Fire Protection

Dr21
    Dreadnought heroes can choose Activate Golem at level 11 for 5 points to deploy and enter a Golem once per battle: until the end of battle, the hero gains Machine, Wall Crushing, Demolisher, Tireless, Reinforced, 40% shock weakness. He loses the bonus from his current mount, the Mounted ability (and associated bonus) and his MP are reduced to 28. He keeps his race’s, items’, etc.’s other abilities and spells. Activate Golem causes the heroes to enter Guard Mode and finishes their turn.
    Activate Golem cannot be used while on Water or Lava.

Ha06b
    Halfling T1’s Lesser Mighty Meek gives +1 physical damage by tier level difference with the unit attacking them (was +1 strength on all channels per tier difference with the unit they attack)

Ne03a
    Dead cities do not have economic bonus any more (was gain +5% to all types of income for every level of Necromancy skill)
    Embalmers Guild gives +5 gold and Cathedral of Bones gives +10% to all the incomes of the city. A new building can be built in Ghoul city, requiring Cathedral of Bones, it costs 150 gold and 100 mana and gives +15% to all the incomes of the city.
    Cathedral of Bones costs 100 gold and 100 mana (was 150 gold and 100 mana).

Th10
    The description of the tech Exalted Martyr does not provide any XP bonus to Martyrs (was saying it gave +50% but was actually not). Martyrs evolve on Champion I (was Elite).

Fi04
    Tropical Empire gives Inflict Immolation to allied units in your domain.

Zaskow

Dr21
    Dreadnought heroes can choose Activate Golem at level 11 for 5 points to deploy and enter a Golem once per battle: until the end of battle, the hero gains Machine, Wall Crushing, Demolisher, Tireless, Reinforced, 40% shock weakness. He loses the bonus from his current mount, the Mounted ability (and associated bonus) and his MP are reduced to 28. He keeps his race’s, items’, etc.’s other abilities and spells. Activate Golem causes the heroes to enter Guard Mode and finishes their turn.

Impossible/I don’t know how to implement. Transform ability can transform any unit into another one, but without keeping race’s, items’, etc.’s other abilities and spells.

A new building can be built in Ghoul city, requiring Cathedral of Bones, it costs 150 gold and 100 mana and gives +15% to all the incomes of the city.

Which building? Its name?

Hiliadan wrote:
    Dr21
    Impossible/I don’t know how to implement. Transform ability can transform any unit into another one, but without keeping race’s, items’, etc.’s other abilities and spells.

Well the golems in this game are really mech walkers, so why not have the hero get into a golem/mech suit, and while he’s there he can’t use his racial items.

Lorewise that makes sense, and allows you to use a simple transform ability.

I would call it machine flesh/ ghost in the machine myself, make it a once per battle ability starting on a cooldown, with slower mp but machine status (can’t be seduced etc) etc. Could be pretty cool.

Hiliadan

BBB, do you know that most of the ideas you proposed for the Dreadnought back when we had a brainstorm on the Steam chat were already implemented by Eomolch in his Hero Development Mod? After I discovered that, I felt like we were a bit plagiarizing his ideas without saying it. He has many other good ideas (e.g. an ability to take control of machines) which we should probably consider for all classes + explicitly citing the inspiration on the mod page or somewhere.

Regarding the Golem stuff, it would not be a top ability if it’s only transforming into a Golem (even though he would have massive HP because at level 13 for instance, he would be Champion 8 or something).
    Then maybe we should go for an ability that grants abilities like Tireless, Machine, etc. But I guess we can’t remove Mounted and other stuff? (by the way, even when transforming in Golem like in Eomolch’s mod, the Golem keeps Mounted and Cavalry)
    Isn’t there any way to give a new model to the unit without shape-shifting?

BBB, do you know that most of the ideas you proposed for the Dreadnought back when we had a brainstorm on the Steam chat were already implemented by Eomolch in his Hero Development Mod?

No I didn’t.

However it wouldn’t surprise me. Thinking about Dreadnoughts, or any hero and race, and the same ideas tend to pop up every so often.

Jolly Joker

Actually, the problem with “Control Machine” is that there are no neutral machines, except ships because there are no sites featuring, rams, cannons, catapults and so on.

By the way, I’m testing a mod giving Dreads Capture Chip and another ability that gives ships and few others that same ability.

While there would be the option to include machines in some neutral unit sets, machines are quite few and quite high-tier, so controling a machine is a big boost. in that case.

marcuspers1

Actually, the problem with “Control Machine” is that there are no neutral machines, except ships because there are no sites featuring, rams, cannons, catapults and so on.

This is not necessarily true. In Forbidden Sanctum you come across Shrine of Smiting. But I never tried any mod with control machine, so don’t know how it works and what the checked factor is.

Jolly Joker

Well, Machines are 100% immune against Spirit and since SoS is T4 at that …

Machines cannot “controlled”, but only “captured”, which would means a check against Defense. I have modded a Capture Ship ability for Dread Heroes (but you could of course have “Capture Machine” as well).

Hiliadan

Things to fix in v1.22:

– the numerical values of the malus linked to Feral mount for the Befriend Animal skill for Leader (at least) are not correctly displayed (see http://i.imgur.com/yArraytlTGB.jpg). It is displayed {feralMountMovementPenalty} and {feralMountMoralePenalty} instead.

– (I’m not sure if it has already been implemented) Death March prevents healing from Quick Dash and Mark Blood Sacrifice
    – Builder can build Fort on water (to fix on the beta branch; I know that it already does in the main branch)

It would be good to list all the healing stuff prevented by Death March so that I put it in the changelog.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.