PBEM – need help improving my game

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions PBEM – need help improving my game

This topic contains 68 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  kwibus 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • Author

kwibus

Hello 🙂

I’m a decent player, but not the type of player that tries every abuse/possibily in the game. Atleast I don’t look for it. In that regard I’m a typical single player/builder type of player. I play SP on King difficulty and always win that. I should go Emperor I know.

Anyways… I like human opposition, but during most of my PBEM games I encounter players who are obviously way better. Expanded real fast got lvl 15 heroes when mine is 7-8 etc. I guess I play a bit too safe, but to increase my pleasure in PBEM games instead of losing interest because of getting stomped I was wondering if someone was willing to assist/teach me a bit.

I could start a PBEM match. a 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 with some people on here. The team game allows for other players to see how I play and if someone is willing I’d be happy to get the advice.

Maybe someone else needs help too. He could be in the opposing team with a skilled player.

p.s. I did actually win 2 1 vs 1 PBEM games, but I guess I ran in an equally non-pro player. The bigger games always have atleast a better player.

p.s. 2 : I run open-beta because I’m participating in Overlord Darkslash his PBEM games. a game where I actually got things going pretty well I think 😉

Bob5

I can join you in a PBEM team game. I’m no expert either (I was actually doing kind of bad in that last game that died out), but maybe we can learn somewhat.

Jolly Joker

Ask SpiritSeeker. 🙂

Well Lord Kwibus since the PBEM limit has been up scaled to 10 I have plenty of spots free again, if you feel like rolling with the magnificent Overlord Darkslash for a PBEM game in style I could set something up for you.

how many players do you want. and do you want to play against AI or players?

SpiritSeeker

Ask SpiritSeeker.

Well, I seem to have my own PA now! 😉

Check this post, perhaps it helps some:
    http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/hero-leveling/

kwibus

Hey Bob5! Didn’t even notice you were on this forum as well, allthough your name did ring a bell to me 😉

Overlord darkslash, maybe we can start a 3 vs 3 (is that interesting?) Bob5, me and you in a team vs who ever signs up.
    I just read spiritseeker posts and that was informative. As expected I’m too passive and indeed like he said himself seduce/charm etc. do seem a bit OP in this regard.

So what are your thoughts?

I’m in a busy week so I can’t read/reply here very often atm.

kwibus

p.s. Archdruid seem quite on the OP side atm? Most PBEM games are swarmed with AD’s who evolve their T1’s up quickly and run T3/4 armies very soon. Something other classes can’t seem to match that quickly.

p.s. Archdruid seem quite on the OP side atm? Most PBEM games are swarmed with AD’s who evolve their T1’s up quickly and run T3/4 armies very soon. Something other classes can’t seem to match that quickly.

It doesn’t matter what is OP or not, what matters is that you find a way to counter it with a class you enjoy to play, without corrupting the part you enjoy while playing that class.

Overlord darkslash, maybe we can start a 3 vs 3 (is that interesting?) Bob5, me and you in a team vs who ever signs up.
    I just read spiritseeker posts and that was informative. As expected I’m too passive and indeed like he said himself seduce/charm etc. do seem a bit OP in this regard.

I will setup a roster in my WOTL group. you should use this topic to find some opponents.

Hiliadan

I may be going a bit of topic, but do you guys have suggestions to counter AD? Especially as a Theocrat? I thought about it a bit and didn’t find any satisfying solutions beside recruiting a Dreadnought hero and getting the anti summon buff, or having a Necro with Unholy Champion.

I may be going a bit of topic, but do you guys have suggestions to counter AD

you are indeed going oftopic Lord Hiliadan, but it is very easy. instead of finding abilities to kill the high tier units you should find a way to kill the units before they become high tier.

cbower

I’ll play in your 3v3, I have mostly been playing live mp. Trying to learn PBEM.

well if you want to participate Lord cbower I can invite you in the roster, do you have steam? if so invite me in steam and I will invite you to the WOTL group and intro the roster.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076151132

cbower

Thanks. Invite sent I will take a look for the game tonight. Could you guys list the settings here, trying to decide what to play.

Lykus

I have a quetsion.

I currently play some PBEM games without open beta. Is it possible to switch to beta start some more games (not over five of course) and then switch between versions depending on the games i wanna play?

Bob5

Yes you can switch between versions, I do it all the time for pbem.

have a quetsion.
    I currently play some PBEM games without open beta. Is it possible to switch to beta start some more games (not over five of course) and then switch between versions depending on the games i wanna play?

yes you can switch between versions Lord Lykus, just be carefull you don’t start a non beta game when you have the beta enabled (some people wont like it if you do)

Thanks. Invite sent I will take a look for the game tonight. Could you guys list the settings here, trying to decide what to play.

The game doesn’t directly start tonight I will invite you in the WOTL group and in the training game roster, from thereon I keep you posted on settings and starting date.

NINJEW

it’s large + UG with some honor rules that pretty much boil down to “only 1 T4 per stack”

settings are going to be either average or many. i’d expect continents

cbower

@ninjew thanks! Empire build, Strong defenders? In my mind those settings seem to have a big impact on the PBEM environment.

cbower

@lykus you can play up to 10 PBEM now with 1.609.

NINJEW

defenders are normal, actually. it’s fairly close to how i play live mp, with the honor rules exception and also large map size

Overlord Darkslash, I wish to apologize for voting against strong defenders. I had never tried the setting before, but I actually quite like it now that I have experienced it. It required me to up my game in tactical combat (which is admittedly my least favourite part of the game; I prefer playing on the strategic level) but I have come to see it as an important part of the PBEM experience.

If there is another game starting up I would love to participate. I have a ton of AoW1 experience and played a lot of AoW3 single player, and I thought I was quite good at this game, but I have recently become motivated to improve myself and gain some multiplayer experience.

As usual I will do the random race/class/specialization approach as I have found that forcing myself to adapt to my circumstances keeps the game fun while maximizing the educational value for myself.

Lykus

@lykus you can play up to 10 PBEM now with 1.609.

I thought switching betwwen versions while having more than five games would cause something to crash

@overlorddarkslash If you start another game could you enlist me?

Stormwind

well if you want to participate Lord cbower I can invite you in the roster, do you have steam? if so invite me in steam and I will invite you to the WOTL group and intro the roster.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076151132

Invite me too please Lord Darkslash, I sent a steam invite.

10 slots! Early Xmas!

I often experience similar to the OP. I was in a PBEM game and someone won Heptatopia around turn 17. By this time, I had explored roughly 1/3 of the underground and had found another dwelling. Somewhere I am missing something!

ExNihil

You can also use the battlefield for this, it’s the AoW3 ladder site, pretty neat stuff from Grif, Markymark and Hilidian. I am making a new 8 player ffa there – still 2 open slots, so you guys are welcome to join:

http://www.the-battlefield.com/aow3/index.php?page=bfmgames&listid=46

Won’t be running on the beta this one, so GoG players are compatible.

Overlord Darkslash, I wish to apologize for voting against strong defenders. I had never tried the setting before, but I actually quite like it now that I have experienced it. It required me to up my game in tactical combat (which is admittedly my least favourite part of the game; I prefer playing on the strategic level) but I have come to see it as an important part of the PBEM experience.
    If there is another game starting up I would love to participate. I have a ton of AoW1 experience and played a lot of AoW3 single player, and I thought I was quite good at this game, but I have recently become motivated to improve myself and gain some multiplayer experience.
    As usual I will do the random race/class/specialization approach as I have found that forcing myself to adapt to my circumstances keeps the game fun while maximizing the educational value for myself.

No offence taken Lord mauvebutterfly, It is already great that you are learning and enjoying the way of the overlord, I will check if I can create a spot.

Invite me too please Lord Darkslash, I sent a steam invite.

Received I will process your request and inform you of the status ASAP, Lord Stormwind

You can also use the battlefield for this, it’s the AoW3 ladder site, pretty neat stuff from Grif, Markymark and Hilidian. I am making a new 8 player ffa there – still 2 open slots, so you guys are welcome to join:
    http://www.the-battlefield.com/aow3/index.php?page=bfmgames&listid=46
    Won’t be running on the beta this one, so GoG players are compatible.

Thank you for your invitation Lord ExNihil but I like to have control over the tools I use, and my steamgroup works just fine for the purpose I use it.

Jolly Joker

I would play, but the rules are … well.

Large 8 player is monstrous – MANY starting skills; MANY treasure and visit sites, ONLY 4 heroes (with 7 enemies), and also Heroes of same race on, are, in my opinion all not good (think about the plethora of unusable artifacts with only 4 heroes and many sites, think about the difficulty to get 2 heroes of the same class, think about the abundance of gold, Mana, and experience).
    Oh, and I seem to remember reading something about a rule of not having more than 1 T4 in a stack? I mean, what is the purpose of setting up a monstrous map geared to produce an insane amount of resources when you cannot use that resources the way you see fit?

I would play, but the rules are … well.
    Large 8 player is monstrous – MANY starting skills; MANY treasure and visit sites, ONLY 4 heroes (with 7 enemies), and also Heroes of same race on, are, in my opinion all not good (think about the plethora of unusable artifacts with only 4 heroes and many sites, think about the difficulty to get 2 heroes of the same class, think about the abundance of gold, Mana, and experience).

No offence Lord Jolly Joker, but do you mind to discus the FFA game in a topic that is created for that purpose, I want to keep the topic clean for people who are interested.

Thank you in advance.

Jolly Joker

I was answering to ExNihil’s post – what’s wrong with that?

nothing wrong, but I would like to keep other discussions out of this post, just for the purpose of keeping it tidy and easy to read for interested people.

Jolly Joker

I’m not interested in debating this, but my impression is, after the start this thread is about organizing a couple of “PBEM beginner to advanced” tourneys, and I don’t think the settings of ExNihil’s game are good for that purpose.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.