PBEM – need help improving my game

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions PBEM – need help improving my game

This topic contains 68 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  kwibus 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

I’m not interested in debating this, but my impression is, after the start this thread is about organizing a couple of “PBEM beginner to advanced” tourneys, and I don’t think the settings of ExNihil’s game are good for that purpose.

well it is not really a tourney but more some practice matches that are requested by Lord Kwibus, I offer him to help him with some matches whom are done under the watchfull eye of the overlord in the comfort of the WOTL group.

I have to give it to you, those settings wont really emulate a “real” MP match, but any game that is played fair would be a good practice for you PBEM skills.

Jolly Joker

*shrugs*
    Each their own, of course.
    I just wanted to convey the message that I would be interested in playing, but not under the given rules: I don’t mind one setting I don’t particularly like, but when several come together that will force the game into a direction I don’t like or don’t find to support an interesting game, I tell you so.

Keep in mind I’m playing Large 8-player maps and even with normal amount of sites a turn may take an hour quickly, since there is a lot to plan and you must battle CAREFULLY. Also, on a map of that size, even 8 heroes will look sparsely, once players are eliminated. With only 4 players left your borders will have an insane length, and 4 heroes will be like a couple of sand grains in the desert.

It is also not the wisest move to avoid alternative victory conditions. There is nothing wrong with a very high setting because it simply adds pressure. 100 Seal Points (highest setting) are not easy to collect, but if a player can control a significant amount of the map it adds pressure – the seals are also fine targets with fine rewards, and in an 8-player game on an L map there is a good distribution of Seals. You absolutely don’t want to hunt for that last elusive Rogue army for 20 turns, but in a game of this dimension you need to have a reasonable limiter.

@overlorddarkslash If you start another game could you enlist me?

Oh my, I forgot Lord Lykus in my reply, my well meant apologize for such a rude act against an interested participant,

if you could send me an steam invite I can invite you in the WOTL group and I will see what we can do,

I know 8 players increases the waiting time in a PBEM game but do people really mind to play 8 players for this practice match? if not I can let the two last participants join and start making teams and prepare the votes and other needed data.

kwibus

Tbh, I prefer normal settings for this game dear Overlord Darkslash.

Since this is focused on the normal games actually.
    So no extra rules as in the WOTL group prefered since that requires different skills and tactics tbh. I really like those additional rules, but it’s only in the WOTL group.

Maybe a 3 vs 3 on a normal map + UG is fine as well. Since normal map + UG is rather big anyways.

kwibus

well if you want to participate Lord cbower I can invite you in the roster, do you have steam? if so invite me in steam and I will invite you to the WOTL group and intro the roster.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076151132

Invite me too please Lord Darkslash, I sent a steam invite.

10 slots! Early Xmas!

I often experience similar to the OP. I was in a PBEM game and someone won Heptatopia around turn 17. By this time, I had explored roughly 1/3 of the underground and had found another dwelling. Somewhere I am missing something!

I’m in the same game Stormwind 😀
    His hero is lvl 15 at turn 29 and I’ve read posters here about reaching lvl 15 at turn 16 earliest.. wtf.
    Anyways this opponent is allready grabbing seals with his armies full of T4 serpents and T3 spiders and what not. I’ll be happy if I manage to win a battle 😀

Tbh, I prefer normal settings for this game dear Overlord Darkslash.
    Since this is focused on the normal games actually.
    So no extra rules as in the WOTL group prefered since that requires different skills and tactics tbh. I really like those additional rules, but it’s only in the WOTL group.
    Maybe a 3 vs 3 on a normal map + UG is fine as well. Since normal map + UG is rather big anyways.

If that is what you want then I will facilitate this. I am only providing the communication and recruitment/gathering of participants.

shall I do a few votes about the number of cities/dwellings and other settings?

kwibus

If you are willing to do so then that’s much appreciated!

I will create the votes later this day, the participants whom join this practice match are:

-1 The magnificent and all knowing god over gods, Overlord Darkslash
    -2 Lord Kwibus
    -3 Lord Bob5
    -4 Lord Cbower
    -5 Lord mauvebutterfly
    -6 Lord Stormwind

There will be no WOTL rules, so multiply hero’s and tier 4 units are permitted. The only WOTL rules that still are intact are the Code of honor Chaticus and the Code of honor Secundarius.

the teams will be based on the time people joined so

team 1:
    -1 Overlord Darkslash
    -2 Lord Kwibus
    -3 Lord Bob5

Team 2
    -4 Lord Cbower
    -5 Lord mauvebutterfly
    -6 Lord Stormwind

Is this fine for the teams participants?

Keep an eye out for the WOTL steam group for more information and votes.

Lord Exnihil and Lord Lykus,

if there are more people whom are interested in a practice match can still sign up for a second wave together with those 2 participants.

Eskild

I´d like to be in a second wave pratice match with ze same settings as the one mentioned above.

Cheers.

I´d like to be in a second wave pratice match with ze same settings as the one mentioned above.
    Cheers.

Invite for the WOTL group send and rostered in the second training match Lord Eskild

Hiliadan

Overlord, I think you’re not a moderator of this forum, are you? So I found a bit strange you said YOU wanted to keep this post clean and tidy. Especially as the topic (the title at least) is about help improving the play in PBEM, not the Overlord organizing practice game. Anyway…

JollyJoker, you mixed up 2 different things. There are the rules of the WOTL (I don’t know what this is) group of the Overlord, which among other things prohibit more than 1 T4 per stack.
    Then there is the Battlefield website, which allow anyone to create any game with any settings (PBEM or live multiplayer) and provide supporting tools (turn order optimization according to playtime, on-site private messaging, etc.) and a ladder. And among games on this site, ExNihil created one with his settings.
    So if you don’t like his setting, you can play other games or create yours.
    Or you can play with the WOTL’s rules but it’s something else.

Anyway, regarding improving one’s game in PBEM… I’m not convinced about your answer regarding fighting Archdruid Overlord… What can you do when you had to fight other opponents first and he had time to evolve? Or even if he didn’t evolve and just has more units.
    What tools (in particular skills) are there against AD, in PBEM in particular, when you can only auto against them?
    Maybe I should create another post about this but that was part of the discussion above.

Jolly Joker

Look, fool that I am, I just wanted to tell ExNihil who posted HERE that he set up a game with two open slots, that I WOULD play, but that I considered his settings as detrimental for a game of this magnitude, since I have experience with PBEM games of that size.

Also, if 1 T4 per stack is an Overlord house rule, it’s not a good way to practise the game because in some instances that’s not the best way to go … but what do I know

madmac

Anyway, regarding improving one’s game in PBEM… I’m not convinced about your answer regarding fighting Archdruid Overlord… What can you do when you had to fight other opponents first and he had time to evolve? Or even if he didn’t evolve and just has more units.
    What tools (in particular skills) are there against AD, in PBEM in particular, when you can only auto against them?

Evolving strategies are strong in PBEM for obvious reasons. If you’re playing Theocrat, than the exalted martyr strat. (Build lots of martyrs, evolve them into Exalted) is very powerful. Don’t have time to elaborate right now unfortunately.

Overlord, I think you’re not a moderator of this forum, are you? So I found a bit strange you said YOU wanted to keep this post clean and tidy. Especially as the topic (the title at least) is about help improving the play in PBEM, not the Overlord organizing practice game. Anyway…

Tssk tssk tssk, Lord Hiliadan, even if I am not a moderator I should be able to request people to not disturb the peace, a civilian may fulfill a civilian arrest when they see a crime being committed, I just simply asked to have the discussion, about the settings of a game, unrelated to the practice match I try to setup for OP.

Maybe I should create another post about this but that was part of the discussion above.

Hmm I wished you read the posts above, here we stated that the practice matches will not follow the WOTL rules sets, I give you the change hereby to withdraw your statement. no hard feelings if you do.

The simple fact is is that is the most efficient way to deal with the problem, and no I will not chewout a complete anti AD guide.

people are able to think for themselves, you just need to give them a nudge in the right direction and they will figure something out, themselves.

Look, fool that I am, I just wanted to tell ExNihil who posted HERE that he set up a game with two open slots, that I WOULD play, but that I considered his settings as detrimental for a game of this magnitude, since I have experience with PBEM games of that size.
    Also, if 1 T4 per stack is an Overlord house rule, it’s not a good way to practise the game because in some instances that’s not the best way to go … but what do I know

You sure like to talk without reading first, Lord Jolly Joker, like stated above the WOTL practice matches wont include the WOTL rules. thus it will be a normal game, hosted on the WOTL recourses I Provide them with.

Stormwind

well if you want to participate Lord cbower I can invite you in the roster, do you have steam? if so invite me in steam and I will invite you to the WOTL group and intro the roster.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198076151132

Invite me too please Lord Darkslash, I sent a steam invite.

10 slots! Early Xmas!

I often experience similar to the OP. I was in a PBEM game and someone won Heptatopia around turn 17. By this time, I had explored roughly 1/3 of the underground and had found another dwelling. Somewhere I am missing something!

I’m in the same game Stormwind 😀
    His hero is lvl 15 at turn 29 and I’ve read posters here about reaching lvl 15 at turn 16 earliest.. wtf.
    Anyways this opponent is allready grabbing seals with his armies full of T4 serpents and T3 spiders and what not. I’ll be happy if I manage to win a battle 😀

Ah yes! Well I managed a pretty disastrous start also, it was set strong defenses, and in my first battle I managed to lose everything except my leader. So this hampered me a bit early on. I am just amazed I am still alive down in the basement.

Anyway, regarding improving one’s game in PBEM… I’m not convinced about your answer regarding fighting Archdruid Overlord… What can you do when you had to fight other opponents first and he had time to evolve?

As Madmac said, I suspect the exalted martyr strategy is a very good one. You should also recognize that beast mastery isn’t necessarily researched by the time you get your spiders and serpents, so convert can wreak havoc (obviously not on the tier 4 serpents).

Otherwise, go wild with convert: take giants or t-3 defenders of sites.

Orcs also just got boosted, so a simple orc crusader and martyr/priest build will get you boco healing, tireless, throw curse, tipple damage ranged, and holy champion.

Bob5

I don’t think Convert triggers on Animals, at least it doesn’t last time I checked.

I don’t think Convert triggers on Animals, at least it doesn’t last time I checked.

right. It does work on monsters, and those units used to be monsters.

Hiliadan

Hmm I wished you read the posts above, here we stated that the practice matches will not follow the WOTL rules sets, I give you the change hereby to withdraw your statement. no hard feelings if you do.

Overlord, you misquoted my post but I assume you refer to the fact I said “here are the rules of the WOTL (I don’t know what this is) group of the Overlord, which among other things prohibit more than 1 T4 per stack.” ?

Well, I didn’t say your practice game with people interested in this post follows the WOTL rules. I just said these rules include a prohibition of more than 1 T4 per stack. So I think, I did not make any mistake there, did I?
    Happy to withdraw it if I make any.

Overlord, you misquoted my post

I see, Sorry for that. think it slipped past my second checkup.

I assume you refer to the fact I said “here are the rules of the WOTL (I don’t know what this is) group of the Overlord, which among other things prohibit more than 1 T4 per stack.” ?

you are right, there is no need to get in a discussion about this.

Well, I didn’t say your practice game with people interested in this post follows the WOTL rules. I just said these rules include a prohibition of more than 1 T4 per stack. So I think, I did not make any mistake there, did I?
    Happy to withdraw it if I make any.

Well there are a few more rules in the WOTL, most of the rules are not checkable by the host or other players so it depends on the players to not break them, (that is why they are called codes of honor instead of rules). the ones that are checkable does have a form of punishment for breaking them. if you are interested in the rule set I can provide you with them.

next to the WOTL I also host the BFF empire games (capital under your control, other cities have to be released as vassals), and the Team elimination matches. (2 teams, if 1 player in a team get eliminated the whole team lose)

apologize for the confusion, but because of your hostile start of the first post I might have read your post a bit to hostile towards me.

on a more related note, we still have 2 spots free for a training match, so join up and enjoy a good training round in a PBEM game.

Eskild

on a more related note, we still have 2 spots free for a training match, so join up and enjoy a good training round in a PBEM game.

Anyone, lords or underlords appreciated, to teach me a thing and maybe (even though not that likely) learn from me regarding the art of AOW3 PBEM are warmly welcome to join in a 3vs3 team PBEM. Check this thread out for more information and maybe add “Overlorddarkslash” on Steam in order to progress getting this event started.

I´m currently on my own in the second team. You are of course also welcome to add me on Steam, where I go by the name “Euzekiel”.

Cheers, Eskild.

kwibus

Only need 1 more player for the 2nd game.
    This is a game for people to help eachother and improve eachothers game. Hence the 3 vs 3, hard to help eachother if you are alone 😉

kwibus

For everyone that’s in the first game!

I’m going to start this PBEM game in about 6 hours is my guess. Check the WOTL thread for game name and PW.

kwibus

@wintersend.

We are waiting for you to join 🙂

I noticed you actually were online, but I guess you forgot to check the thread on steam. You can find game name and PW there.

llfoso

@jollyjoker I think it was a fair point well made and on-topic and I disagree with the others for getting on your case about it.

@kwibus may I join the last slot?

Hi Kwibus,

Back on original topic – and with a tip if I may: One thing that puzzled me is why you kept an Elven city as vassal forever. With just +1 domain extension it would’ve had a Knowlegde Vault in its domain I believe.
    I checked about every turn if / and wondered why this was still a vassal and not yours already 🙂 This could have boosted your research significantly early on in game I think. Hope to play some more in the future!

BTW I’m not going make it with my Elven Sorc against the Frostling Druid – we’re the only ones left in that game of yours now 🙁

Oh, and furthermore I believe AD is OP due to Healing (delenda carthago)

kleft

@overlorddarkslash Hey i added you on steam (jade buddha) if there is a space in a game thats gonna start soon id be down.

Or any other games really, all the PBEM games seem password protected

@overlorddarkslash Hey i added you on steam (jade buddha) if there is a space in a game thats gonna start soon id be down.
    Or any other games really, all the PBEM games seem password protected

Lord kleft, at the moment I don’t have any game coming up, but I will invite you in the WOTL group, if you keep an eye on that group and the form then you should be able to join the next wave of games

kwibus

p.s. Not looking for Wintersend… but for Stormwind!

STORMWIND! You are online every day so far and you signed up. Don’t slack to long 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.