Please make settler/builder automatically destroyed when attacked

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Please make settler/builder automatically destroyed when attacked

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Sifer2 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Not sure what others think about this idea but please change where builder/settler will be automatically destroyed when attacked by a unit. It is ridiculous that when I was attacking a settler up close, my juggernaut had to ram itself to the settler for 2 turns before it could destroy it. It is just ridiculous that it would take time for a juggernaut to destroy a settler when it can clear jungles just by passing through it.

Harleyquin14

There’s a useful function for builders and settlers in combat. If they’re supported by other army units they can be used to keep ranged units engaged or to make melee units waste their attacks and keeping damage away from your proper military units.

Personally I like being given the choice on which unit to level up or gain experience when there are helpless settlers and builders on the tactical map.

Lord of Riva

yeah it annoyed me as well (though its not that important)

actually i would suggest ending a battle entirely as soon as only a settler/builder is left. its annoying enough run them down. im not sure if this is feasible in any way but who knows

EDIT: interesting Idea harlequin 😛 well the ai only lets them run

dameneu

Actually didn’t read the one crucial line “when it’s the only unit left”.
    Agreed, then. Except Harleyquin’s comment just changed my mind.
    Free xp, huzzah!

Harleyquin14

It’s not my idea, iHunterKiller demonstrated this in one of his Let’s Play videos.

Reefpirate

I don’t think this is all that important… Sometimes you can use Settlers/Builders in interesting ways in battles.

And if you’re tired of chasing them down… Just turn on auto-combat and put the game speed up to 4x speed, and take a few sips of coffee while your units take it out. It really doesn’t take that long.

Hmmmm. Never really thought of using them as arrow fodder. So far I am trying to ensure that I lose as little men as possible. But its just ridiculous when they usually hide inside the city and when I was about to attack it, my juggernaut never crushed it in one attack.

I kinda agree. If a settler/builder is the only thing on the map, it should either die, or perhaps have a chance of being captured?

Cannonball

Why…? I mean, if your builder gets caught out by a scout, why should it die instantly? It can’t defend itself, sure, but I could choose to protect it with spell support. Having it automatically killed denies me the ability to shield my units with fireballs. Can’t say I’m a fan of that idea.

Lord of Riva

another fair point, damn am i the only one who always sends UNITS with my settlers? 😛

Why…? I mean, if your builder gets caught out by a scout, why should it die instantly? It can’t defend itself, sure, but I could choose to protect it with spell support. Having it automatically killed denies me the ability to shield my units with fireballs. Can’t say I’m a fan of that idea.

Fair enough, truth be told, I can’t think of something else other than the drastic measure of making them auto-die when attacked or even with the chance of being captured. I could imagine some situation where I might scrape through with the skin on my teeth by some magic when I have some settlers attacked by bandits but what annoys me a bit (not really gamebreaking or anything but its just a bit annoying) was that how the heck could a juggernaut not kill a settler in one go? I think I could have killed it in one go with a mortar blast but my point is, how could something that could destroy jungles as it passes through it not kill a settler, that it could easily tread on, in one go? Would have been understandable if it had magical buffs but it didn’t have a single one.

excellent point, hadn’t thought of that.

ffbj

As the battle ends, after the last defender is killed, the combat camera focuses on the settlers wagon as it burst into flames (fireball/or sabotage gif) and burns too a crisp. Que the victory music.

melkathi

Please leave settlers and builders alone.
    I routinely convert/charm/dominate these guys when I meet them in battle.
    I like free settlers.

Either that or give them a very weak attack of some sort?

If I was going out into a wilderness filled with scary monsters and psychotic AI leaders, I would at least bring a club or sling. Especially if no one was there to guard me.

Harleyquin14

Either that or give them a very weak attack of some sort?

If I was going out into a wilderness filled with scary monsters and psychotic AI leaders, I would at least bring a club or sling. Especially if no one was there to guard me.

Settlers have always been unarmed in this series, probably because no one wants the shame of seeing “battle lost” when they used a cheap unit to attack the “weak” settler unit.

melkathi

I could very easily picture a small unit of infantry getting trampled by the oxen pulling the wagons 😉

Sifer2

Please leave settlers and builders alone.<br>
    I routinely convert/charm/dominate these guys when I meet them in battle.<br>
    I like free settlers.

Wow that’s pretty dirty lol.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.