POLL: What 2 Races in Next Expansion?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions POLL: What 2 Races in Next Expansion?

This topic contains 152 replies, has 67 voices, and was last updated by  FiReFTW 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • Author

hello, let’s see if you guys find this interesting. Apparently it is possible to have two races in one expansion, therefore let’s say everybody can cast 2 votes.

EVERYBODY CAN CAST 2 VOTES AND LIST A FEW FAVOURITE FEATURES TO EXPLAIN THEIR CHOICHE

The missing races from previous AOW installments are:

Lizardmen
    Azracs
    Dark Elves
    Wood Elves
    Archons
    Nomads
    Tigrans
    Syrions
    Shadow Demons
    (I think that’s it correct me if i am wrong)

So I start voting:

VOTE 1 – DARK ELVES – Because I like a race that is both magic and stealth oriented. I wish they came with a dark tower that resembles the AOWSM wizzie-tour. maybe they should have a demonic-summoning attitude (like a Balrog of something like that).

VOTE 2 – WOOD ELVES – Because the invisible cities added an incredible amount of toughness to the AI in AOWSM, and I loved that. I would love to see them filling up the map with trees and having streets and civilization disappear.

Epaminondas

VOTE 1: Archons

Archons have been my favorite race since the inception of the series, given that I am devotee of classical antiquity, and the Archons have a Greek/Roman feel to them.

Vote 2: Dark Elves

I think everyone knows by now that aesthetics is a big deal for me, and Dark Elves are the only aesthetically-pleasing “evil” race, and I’d like to see an evil race to balance Halflings (“good”) and Frostlings (“neutral”) next.

Jolly Joker

I don’t want more races. So NONE.

Instead I want DWELLINGS.

Dark Elves (the renegades 🙂
    Tigrans
    Shadow Demons
    Syrons

Epaminondas

Absolutely NO.

Dwarfurious

Holy shit in hell NO, not more god damn elves, this game is ALREADY Elf of Wonders trilogy, and they were cut back on purpose and combined already. How many god damn civil wars are you elves going to HAVE before you just DIE? You make a list of interesting and original races, and choose the LEAST two of those by a long stretch.

I vote for Dark Dwarves TWICE, you hardly see them as a playable race and they aint a bunch of gothic/emo teen-bait angstdriven nightcrawlers like the ever popular dark elves, and they have so much more destructive evil potential. They’re super-villain material, literal volcano-lair megaweapon guys.

VOTE 1 -TIGRANS!!!: I want my Kitties back! We do not have a porper “Beastmen” race right now and they’d be a nice addition
    Also they are one of the more unique races of AoW, so I’d love to see them back, especially if Triumph updates them as nicely as they did with the Frostlings.

VOTE 2- DARK ELVES: I want Meandor back. But(!) please don’t just make them Drow clones like in AoW 2. They have been lost with Meandor in the Shadow Realm, who knows how that might have changed their culture?

Garresh

Holy shit in hell NO, not more god damn elves, this game is ALREADY Elf of Wonders trilogy, and they were cut back on purpose and combined already. How many god damn civil wars are you elves going to HAVE before you just DIE? You make a list of interesting and original races, and choose the LEAST two of those by a long stretch.

I vote for Dark Dwarves TWICE, you hardly see them as a playable race and they aint a bunch of gothic/emo teen-bait angstdriven nightcrawlers like the ever popular dark elves, and they have so much more destructive evil potential. They’re super-villain material, literal volcano-lair megaweapon guys.

I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered someone more aptly named. 😉

Also yeah I agree with no more elves.

Ravenholme

Tigrans and Archons for me.

Would love for the next expansion to introduce Shadow Realm mechanics (or at least Planar travel, as the timeline bridging Shadow Magic and 3 suggests there are other planes/worlds out there connected to Athla via the Shadow Realm)

Sindir

Vote 1: definitely tigrans

First they have a pretty unique and interesting culture.
    They could focus on ancient (protect-)magic, so the normal units would fire, yeah firebolts,
    but the mysticers have some sort of magic shild, that reflects parts of the damage they take or something.
    Their magic roots in the strong relationship to their dead family-members and the ancestor-cult they worship – in reverens to this the ancient egypts did.
    This maybee could be inplemented in some cool ability for the support/priest-unit.
    If a tigran dies in battle the priest could make this ability, some kind auf ritual to guide the dead to their ancestors and please them for help. With this call for help all the other tigran units get blessed, so they get some kind of buff – maybee only in some radius around the priest – and maybee depending on how importent the dead one was in society (which tier it was).
    Also they are, along with the draconians, the only beast race, all others are so…human :/ bah…

Thariorn

(or at least Planar travel, as the timeline bridging Shadow Magic and 3 suggests there are other planes/worlds out there connected to Athla via the Shadow Realm)

Well, the whole story of AoW 1 or rather the conflict which happens in it is based on:
    ->Giants, Titans, Dragons shape a world
    ->Elves tend for it, making it inhabiteble for humans
    ->Humanity prospers
    ->Giants, Titans, Dragons leave for new world
    ->Elves leave for new world
    ->Humanity matures into Archons
    ->Fighting the evil Scum (namely undead and Shadow Demons) from litereally outta space
    ->Cycle continues

So yeah, AoW has Space Elves…just like the Witcher

Backero

Vote 1: TIGRANS
    Why?
    1) We have lack of any beastmen race.
    2) Tigrans is in AoW world. We are just waiting for their return.
    3) Sand/tribal themed race that we have no yet.
    4) They fit well to every class we have and can to recieve in future.
    5) The besti idea for add agility race with high mobility. I think that features would fit best for them.

Vote 2: SOMETHING NEW
    I really like Age of Wonders world, but this world evolving (like Archons history). We don’t need return of all races. I would see something new. Meaby no Dark Elves, but something similar, also dark ones OR mystic (?) ones. In Warcraft’s Draenei aura.

Dagoth Ur

I would love to see Shadow Demons again as a class.

For Races: Syrons but I think Tigrans is a little more realistic.

Anakrom

VOTE 1 – TIGRANS – If there would be a new expansion, I would prefer desert setting, and Tigrans are my all-time-favourite race anyway. Their creature line-up was excellent in AOWSM, I would be happy to see this in AOW3. Members above made pretty good points, no need to repeat them.

VOTE 2 – ABSTAINED – Honestly I don´t need to see any more races. Upcoming expansion seems pretty exciting, so maybe one more race and class on a top of that, a little polishing here and there and we have a best TTS released so far. Thanks Triumph, keep up the great work!

And for the God´s sake, no more elves. Especially Dark Elves. They just have to appear in every fantasy game it seems.

Epaminondas

I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered someone more aptly named. ;)

Also yeah I agree with no more elves.

His lunatic ravings confused me, as he said he said “no more elves” and yet voted twice for Dark Elves. I assume that by “elves” he meant the traditional, goody-good High/Wood Elf types?

Epaminondas

Tigrans and Archons for me.

Would love for the next expansion to introduce Shadow Realm mechanics (or at least Planar travel, as the timeline bridging Shadow Magic and 3 suggests there are other planes/worlds out there connected to Athla via the Shadow Realm)

I don’t really want another level in the map until underground is better populated.

Epaminondas

VOTE 2 – ABSTAINED – Honestly I don´t need to see any more races. Upcoming expansion seems pretty exciting, so maybe one more race and class on a top of that, a little polishing here and there and we have a best TTS released so far. Thanks Triumph, keep up the great work!

So you want the game to stop?!

Anakrom

No. “Abstained” means that I desire only one point, and leave the second choice fully up to you folks. Thing is I value the work of guys from Triumph so much, that I don´t want to flood them, and rather proceed with step-by-step mechanic.

Of course I don´t want the game to stop, with my 327 Steam hours played. I just don´t want to pressure the guys to make things hastily in one sweep.

Vote 1 : Tigrans, possibly combined with attributes of Nomads; would be interesting to have Outposts/Villages of their own that could migrate, and maybe when conquering a city, would have the option to move the location anywhere else, diminishing it to an outpost again. Emphasis on terrain preference Tropical Barrens. And needs Camel Archers and Giraffe Cavalry (with a melee attack from two tiles away of course).

Vote 2: This seems to be the unrepresented race in AOW lore, but a Sea Race of some kind. I would prefer something Amphibian in nature, so venturing on land is viable and realistic, but possessing significant advantages in, or under the water. We have Subterranean, why not underwater? Perhaps I have missed it, but are there placeable mines or traps in the game? Would be particularly mean to place invisible stinging jellyfish on an anticipated path of the enemy. Those with True Sight could see and avoid them, of course.

Yelok

First, I would preffer a revamp of existent units and races, adding them at least 1 t3 and 1 t4 to their rooster, also, they can complete dwelings by adding some units like Fairy Dragon, Black Dragon, Bone Dragon, Yeti, Kharagh, etc.

Hell, I really miss Demons, frog riders, turtle machines, Astras, warlords, valkys, entire tigran crew, doom priest, saints, avatars, pit guards, rocs, chiefs, shades, spider queens, incarnates, wyrms, basilisk, doom wolves, doom priest, demons, brown and green wyverns, leprechauns, sheriffs, lords, harvesters, warlords, executioners, living archons, iron maidens, ballistas, salamanders, charlatan, air galley, charioters, mummies, drillers, bombers, old trolls, doom bats.

Did I metion warlords, demons and doom priest?

Zak

His lunatic ravings confused me, as he said he said “no more elves” and yet voted twice for Dark Elves. I assume that by “elves” he meant the traditional, goody-good High/Wood Elf types?

He said Dark Dwarves.

I’d vote for Lizardmen first (No, Naga are not Lizardmen. No, Draconians are not Lizardmen either). Mostly because I love Lizardmen and because it’d be cool to see a “swimmer faction” (if Draconians can like “Lava Pool”, Lizardmen could like “Water”!).

And, second, maybe Nomads? Or maybe not the Nomads themselves, what I really liked was the “nomad” mechanic. I didn’t like their units, but I always ended up picking them from time to time because packing my cities was just fun.

Nerdfish

Tigrans
    CAT GIRLS WITH GUNS FOR EVERYONE. Nyeh.

Jolly Joker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jolly Joker wrote:</div>

Absolutely NO.

You have a reason for your opinion? Because I have one: As it is, it*s difficult enough to make racial units different enough – and to give class units racial difference as well. More full races wil guarantee one thing: repetition.
    Dwellings, on the other hand, are all special cases: you can handpick units and put them there, without the need to find an Inf, Irreg, ARcher, Pikman, Support, Cavalry and T3 that are noteworthy different from the rest.

Taykor

Ok, a desert race should be better. And there’s enough humans. And I want sphinxes. So…

Tigrans!
    And we can give them nomad’s djinns! We need djinns, too. More wonders for the Age of Wonders!

The second race for the expansion we already have.

Jaduggar

VOTE ONE: TIGRANS
    I love the big cats, and I was a little bummed to see that they werent in the starting lineup. I have had my fingers crossed for them ever since. You all got the frostlings you were yelping for since day one… now, I want my cat mages >:D

VOTE TWO: LIZARDMEN
    This was a little tougher to pick. I like several of the ones listed, but this is where I would have to come down. I guess I just like the more animistic races, and they have a traditional fantasy feel that runs all the way back to my childhood, where it pokes at my memories of Ray Harryhausen.

ANTI-VOTE(yeah, I made it up… sue me): SHADOWDEMONS
    These would simply not fit in well, I dont think. I have a hard time conceptualizing these things in a world where race relations arent fixed (which the devs have stated they will not be, once implemented). I cannot imagine an elf meeting a dwarf and an ELDER THING OF ABSOLUTE EVIL in the marketplace one day, and there being any other outcome than: the first two kill the third, or are eaten by it – the market closes early.

Except for the part where you spit all over your keyboard while raving madly, I basically agree. We dont need five different types of elves, two were more than enough in AOW1, and one is just fine now. It is always cool when the Duergar get invited to play with the rest of the traditional tolkienite canon, but I am really not a fan of any race whos alignment is conceptually pre-ordained. A “Dark-Anything” race is pretty unappealing, in my opinion, although I will concede that it fits the traditional AOW lore.

I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered someone more aptly named. ;)

LOL XD

I don’t really want another level in the map until underground is better populated.

Agreed. The Sub needs some work, but I would rather see the oceans built upon, first.

Wintersend

Personally, I want Shadow Demons and Archons next. It could be done as a Light and Darkness expansion and have the beginning of the campaign being that the portal to the Shadow Plane is reopened, I forget the name of the organization doing this off the top of my head.

At first, everything seems fine, although the Archons seem frightened and unnerved, but everyone thinks that’s just because of the undead Archons. In reality, it’s that there was more enemies on the other side of the portal than anyone had ever dreamed of, the Shadow Demons and their masters have regrouped and are going to invade again unless enough forces can be rallied from the remaining races to turn the tide. And things are not looking good on the other side of the portal, the Shadow Demon hordes are barely being fought off, Meandor may have managed to cut off and tame another hive to use however, but even with what forces he gathered on the other side, it looks like they’re not going to hold out for long without some heavy duty support.

And with this you really could have a mission that’s all the races uniting to fight back since there is no longer the alignment barrier stopping you from having orcs, halfings, goblins, and elves fighting side by side.

Jaduggar

You have a reason for your opinion? Because I have one: As it is, it*s difficult enough to make racial units different enough – and to give class units racial difference as well. More full races wil guarantee one thing: repetition.<br>
    Dwellings, on the other hand, are all special cases: you can handpick units and put them there, without the need to find an Inf, Irreg, ARcher, Pikman, Support, Cavalry and T3 that are noteworthy different from the rest.

I wouldnt mind some more dellings, myself, but a lot of the fun of this game for me is seeing the different combinations that can be made with class/race/specs. If a favorite race of mine (the tigrans) were reduced to a mere dwelling, I would be pretty upset. Dwellings are for things that arent races, while actual races should be treated like actual races… otherwise it would just feel like a cop-out which reduced their utility in an effort to fit in more of them.

The only cases in which I think it makes sense to reduce something to dwelling status is when their fealty is alignment based. In the case of the undead archons, the naga, the faery folk, etc… these are not actual races but entities outside of society which can be absorbed, but will never be city-dwellers.

Minotaurs would belong in a dwelling. Shadow Demons (in my opinion) would belong in a dwelling. Shades and salamanders would belong in a dwelling. But tigrans, lizardmen, and frostlings? They are race-worthy, and should be given their dues.

I’m going to have to throw my first vote to the Tigrans as well. I feel like a fast moving desert culture would round out the game quite well, and visually they’d be pleasantly distinct from what we already have.

I’m also going to second aloftia’s suggestion for my second vote. An aquatic/amphibious race would be great fun. Allow them to build their cities and forts on water tiles. Love sea/river tiles, dislike underground (except water tiles), hate barren, volcanic, and arctic. No sea combat penalty, but give them movement penalties on land.

Vote 1: Tigrans

Vote 2: Lizardmen

jb

Tigrans with some of the Nomad flavored units. Maybe tigrans are slavers now.

Bugs (shadow or non-shadow) as a dwelling.

grimsly

Vote 2: This seems to be the unrepresented race in AOW lore, but a Sea Race of some kind. I would prefer something Amphibian in nature, so venturing on land is viable and realistic, but possessing significant advantages in, or under the water.

You must have missed the Lizardmen from AOW 1. swimming everything FTW!

But anyway, I’m old school, bring on the Azracs(Nomads, I guess) and Lizard Men.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.