(Possible) new tournament

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions (Possible) new tournament

This topic contains 673 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  bf_markymark 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 674 total)
  • Author

I found the old rules, dont know why there is a 404 on the old site. In any case, touching them up, but this is what I have so far. It’s pretty much identical to the previous rules.

To confirm, there are, so far, the following:

Garresh
    AbednegoJC
    Ariga
    Xaneorath

Mc-Doge
    Ludomancer
    Dagoth-Ur
    Bouh (?) yes or no?

psudonym55
    alyra
    prodigal sun
    ninjew

meeky
    gavagai
    nodor
    serahfemme

shinobi
    sayl?
    Gabriel Benichou

You’ll be randomised, with one proviso. Players returning who were in the top 8 last time around will be put in separate groups.

Stormwind

You forgot me!

+ stormwind.

I make that 20 people :).

Fenraellis

Moo, upon request.

NINJEW

With the no split stacking rule, below the rules it goes into detail about “opportunistic” split stacking vs “deliberate” split stacking. Are both forms of split stacking illegal, or just “opportunistic” split stacking?

It says in the rules which are allowed and which are not.

There are even examples :).

Meeky

It says to avoid Opportunistic Split Stacking. Deliberate is acceptable. At least that’s my understanding, so if I’m wrong please slap me in the face with a duck.

By the by, if anyone with decent experience wants to practice against me some time before the tournament (open on most days but Saturday), I could really use some experience. I can’t host. Add me on Steam by the name of Meeky if you want to duel and maybe learn me some multiplayer.

Serahfemme

I’m also looking for practice partners; I’d say I’m at an intermediate skill level and looking to sharpen up before the real games start. Other tourney people should feel free to add me on steam, my username is Serahfemme.

Mc-doge

Thanks for the reply

I don’t know how that got put in, because the original rule was simply:

you cannot pick the same class and race consecutively.

And do you mean Deutsche, as in German?

It’s all dutch to me 🙂

Count me in please!

NINJEW

It says in the rules which are allowed and which are not.

There are even examples :).

It doesn’t say it explicitly. The example given next to the rule that says “no split stacking” describes deliberate split stacking, which suggests that no split stacking is allowed period. But then in the examples further down, the distinction between the two types of split stacking is made, which suggests that only opportunistic split stacking is allowed.

I am getting mixed messages here, and it never directly says “both deliberate and opportunistic split stacking aren’t allowed” or “only opportunistic split stacking isn’t allowed”

It does say “Opportunistic is what we are trying to avoid.” but I don’t know if that’s a hard rule or just the general intention.

I’d mostly just like some clarification since there’s room for uncertainty.

Blackwhisper

I’ll join as well!

Stormwind

My reading was that deliberate is allowed, but not opportunistic.

Could you mention a default setting for turn timers?

It doesn’t say it explicitly. The example given next to the rule that says “no split stacking” describes deliberate split stacking, which suggests that no split stacking is allowed period. But then in the examples further down, the distinction between the two types of split stacking is made, which suggests that only opportunistic split stacking is allowed.

the general rule is to read each element of a larger document in light of all the other elements together. For stack splitting, the difference is between “twitch” events based on clicking contests (forbidden) and “strategic mistakes/advantages” where one player takes advantage of another players mistake or terrain to attack only a portion of the army (encouraged).

It basically makes the simultaneous turns play a little more like classic turns, with the caveat that you can escape from a really bad situation.

Take a bridge crossing, for instance, with three stacks on either side. If I am crossing the bridge to attack, you can’t launch the attack yourself when one of my stacks is still across the river, and you just happened to click faster. That is opportunistic stack splitting, because it is a who clicked first situation.

On the other hand, if I stupidly move one of the stacks so it can’t get across and join the battle, well, you may take advantage of the mistake.

brains over reaction time, in short.

Unknown250

You forgot me, too

NINJEW

I understand the difference between opportunistic and deliberate stack splitting fine, I’ve always played MP under the “no opportunistic stack splitting, deliberate is fine” rules. I’m just not 100% sure if that’s what these rules are or not, things like how “no stack splitting is allowed” is followed by “for example, an opponent deliberately attacks a side hex rather than the centre hex of your main army to split your army out.” make it confusing.

I’d just like someone to definitively say “yes, for sure, only opportunistic stack splitting isn’t allowed.”

Stormwind

Well after re-reading the rules I see why Ninjew is confused, because rule #1 which concerns split stacks has an example of deliberate splitting, which seems to contradict a couple of later examples.

In particular, the addendum offers a scenario where it would be ok to attack a group of 3 stacks such that you only battle 2 of them, which conflicts with rule #1.

Not sure where the confusion comes from. It says “no split stacking” followed by a star *.

Follow the star and it explains the 2 different types of split stacks, and then clarifies which is acceptable and which isn’t.

I’d just like someone to definitively say “yes, for sure, only opportunistic stack splitting isn’t allowed.”

“Opportunistic is what we are trying to avoid.”

I’m genuinely baffled by the confusion as I thought this was the clearest of all the rules.

In particular, the addendum offers a scenario where it would be ok to attack a group of 3 stacks such that you only battle 2 of them, which conflicts with rule #1.

Deliberate split stacking is okay, with examples given.

Could you mention a default setting for turn timers?

At the moment there isn’t one, because with just 2 players it isn’t usually needed. I am hesitant to state that it must be 2 or 3 minutes or whatever, because if someone isn’t ending turns in a duel it usually means:

a – they are stalling, which counts against them anyway.

b – they have a real life situation to deal with.

That said, in most mp games, timer is 2 minutes, but as with game settings, this is at player discretion, i.e. you can play an XL map with the other guy if you realllllly want to. In the case of disagreement however, default is the baseline.

2 minutes might be put in as a default. To be decided.

Unsure yet as to what to do with seals. I like the seals victory and think it adds to the game.

That said, if the wording is confusing you, it will probably confuse others, so I should park my ego to one side and welcome suggestions on how to reword it so it is crystal clear, and also in a way that the clarity carries over for translations.

In my experience, some less than honourable players have used a spontaneous lack of language understanding to justify some nefarious plays, including split stacking and abusing the 15 sec rule.

Key points to remember:

opportunistic split stacking is not welcomed. This is faster clicking.

deliberate split stacking, i.e. manouevre and setting traps is perfectly fine.

I’d mostly just like some clarification since there’s room for uncertainty.

The thing is, it’s imposing a house rule onto game mechanics, so there is always room for uncertainty.

It is rarely 100% certain when someone has in fact split stack, because, for example, it comes into play for large/important battles, and you could easily argue that “if the game allows x, then I can do it.”

It comes down to Human interpretation in reality, which is why there is such an emphasis on recording the games and on fair play in the rules.

I’ll be available during every match hopefully, so if needed game can stop for evaluation.

That only happened twice last time.

AbednegoJC

Count me in too

Hatmage

I’ve been told to join in the balance forum, so if you can take someone at GMT +12:00, I’m in.

NuMetal

what about Jomungur and Ayenara?! 😮

Griffith

I would like to join.

I think 2 min turn timer is too little for default setting. 3 mins would be more fair for players with elderly machines (like me). And if game prolongs, even 3 mins might be too little to allow decent strategic planning.

Meeky

Honestly, I’m prone to say “no timer please” so long as the games must be finished within a certain time frame. I don’t want to have to start a battle with the other player that I might lose just so I can go AFK for 10 minutes. It’s been rainy where I live this summer, so I’ve had to leave other games (not AoW3 thankfully) so I could move things outside / dig to prepare for flash floods. Etc.

A question on settings: if two opponents agree to it, may they use Classic Turns instead of Simultaneous? I expect most people to say “No,” but I’d rather try for Classic if at all possible.

what about Jomungur and Ayenara?! 😮

Ayenara changed his name on Steam so I can’t find him.

Jomungur won’t be showing up. He has work issues. As a minor consolation to me, we’ll be meeting up in London soonish for lunch or something (he is a great guy in real life as well by the way).

Real question is, are you in? Assuming your gf will let you ;).

(PS 5 Tribes revenge sometime this Summer?)

Welcome Hatmage. I’m expecting linguistically challenging and interesting after action reports from you.

Welcome Griffith. Your reasons are why there is no timer default set as yet. I’m expecting Sorceror dominance from you.

Welcome Abed, I’m expecting Tigran Cheetah spam from you :P.

@ Meeky, yes, if your opponent is happy with it, then technically anything goes!

As we get to the final few though, I suspect things will tighten up and be more strictly default, if only because that offers the most fair (although by no means perfect) starts.

It’s been rainy where I live this summer

Where is that?

NuMetal

Real question is, are you in? Assuming your gf will let you ;).

Uhm no, sorry. MP isn’t my kind kinda thing and also I’ll be in America throughout the entire July…
    However I sure as hell will follow the tournament and watch all the videos and battle reports!

(PS 5 Tribes revenge sometime this Summer?)

Hell yeah!
    Let’s talk about that on steam though ;).

PS: the new smileys are creeping me out^^

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.