(Possible) new tournament

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions (Possible) new tournament

This topic contains 673 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  bf_markymark 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 674 total)
  • Author

Meeky

Where is that?

Texas in the U.S, specifically a part of it where tornadoes have hit neighboring towns and where flash floods have been a danger. Also, power outages.

Jomungur

Actually, I’m tentatively in. But I need to confirm something at work. I will know soon.

When will the tournament start? Weekend of May 23rd? Later?

Some some advice from the last tournament:

-you have to give people at least a week to play a game. Everyone is scattered on different time zones, and many people can’t play on weekdays because of work schedule and some games actually will take 4+ hours, so have to be continued, etc. So that means the tournament will likely last 3 months (although obviously most people will not get that far).

– I would eliminate the split stacking rule. The intention was good, but it’s confusing, impossible to enforce and leads to more problems than any other. Players just have to move carefully if they know in advance they can be split stacked. It is doable.

– someone will back out at some point because of RL issues

– get everyone’s emails before starting, and make sure they respond. Some of the people in the larger tournament were excited in the forums, but then backed or stopped responding, particularly if they never played MP and got crushed.

@ Jom, welcome back.

@ everyone else, get practising.

I’m thinking a mid June start at the latest. Early June works well for me as well.

If you want to participate, please send me an email.

slaine16
    (a)
    hotmail.com

Bouh

I confirm my presence. I’ll send an email.

1337shinobi

Quick question. Does hero resurgence on auto-battle count as default?

Quick question. Does hero resurgence on auto-battle count as default?

Ehh what?

Nooooo!

Lose a hero and he’s dead.

1337shinobi

Ok. Just checking because that has been a default setting on my game client, for some reason.

NINJEW

That said, if the wording is confusing you, it will probably confuse others, so I should park my ego to one side and welcome suggestions on how to reword it so it is crystal clear, and also in a way that the clarity carries over for translations.

In my experience, some less than honourable players have used a spontaneous lack of language understanding to justify some nefarious plays, including split stacking and abusing the 15 sec rule.

Easily the most confusing part of it is that an example of legal split stacking is given next to “don’t split stack”

Change the example given to one of opportunistic split stacking, and maybe add “deliberate split stacking, as described below, is perfectly ok.”

Bouh

I think the confusion on split stacking comes from the wording “this is what we try to avoid”. With a “this is forbidden” perhaps it would be clearer ?

Serahfemme

Maybe a good rule of thumb regarding stack splitting is this: if your opponent has just moved a stack, it should be common courtesy to give them a grace period of a few moments after that move to let them move other stacks nearby if they were planning to. Similar to how there’s a “no attack 15s” rule at the beginning of a turn, you should also give your opponent several seconds AFTER a move so people can effectively move multi hex armies.

NINJEW

I think the confusion on split stacking comes from the wording “this is what we try to avoid”. With a “this is forbidden” perhaps it would be clearer ?

This is also a big part of it

zephyrcloud

I do hope there will be plenty of tasty videos of the final stages of the tournament for us all to learn from. 😀

Jomungur

The reason why I’m against stack splitting rules is there were a couple of games in the previous tournament where both players had 4 stacks each. In that situation, someone is going to be stack splitted, no matter what, since only 7 armies can fight in a battle. So what do you do in that situation?

Also, I remember a game where the opponent had a 3 stack army, one of which was in the water in boats, and the other 2 on land. I could only reach the army on the water with my 3 stack army of floaters. If I attacked the water stack, his stacks wouldn’t be pulled in (since they couldn’t swim). But I couldn’t reach his land stack to pull all the stacks together. If I waited a turn, he was going to run away. In that situation, was I supposed to not fight because his army had inferior terrain movement abilities to mine (i.e., I had all floaters/flyers while he had all walkers)?

I’m sure there’s other problem situations. Best just to allow stack splitting and let the players deal with it. If someone has a huge army with different movement capabilities, it’s up to them to manage their stacks so they can move more efficiently.

NINJEW

That’s deliberate stack splitting, which is apparently fine and dandy, and that’s good. What’s a problem is something like, if you have a 3 stack army sitting on your throne, and an opponent is moving in a 4 stack army, and after moving his first stack in (but before moving his second stack into position) you tell your throne defenders to attack his single stack.

Considering how much people are already arguing about it…

:S

NINJEW

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that Opportunistic Split Stacking is good or that Deliberate Split Stacking shouldn’t be allowed. The wording in the rules was just kinda unclear.

The divide is a pretty simple concept, it was just confusing if both were disallowed or if only one was.

Unknown250

So… am I in? Nightaal needs representation here!

So… am I in? Nightaal needs representation here!

Yeah ofcourse you are.

So is Ayenara. He’s coming back!

Leon Feargus

I would also like to join!
    Only played 4 matches mp (last year’s tournament) so far.

Get practising!

Edit: 24 players signed up.

Need another 8.

I heard a rumour that a TS employee might make an appearance…

Also, how does June the 5th sound as a start date?

I anticipate the first round will last 4 weekends, which gives every group of 4 plenty of time to play all their matches.

Stormwind

June 5 sounds good to me. Might post something in the steam forums also.

Jomungur

June 5 is bad for me…will be travelling.

Marcus

Hey there BBB,
    If there is still a place I would love to take part in tourney.

Yuriohs

If there’s room, I’m in! been playing with my friends a bit and I’m wanting to test my might against people and make new friends!

Leon, Marcus, Yurioh, you’re all in.

@ Jom, June 5th to start the first stage.

You’d have a month to complete your games.

27 players so far. We need another 5 and we can roll.

Ayenara

What settings would the tournament run on?

Fenraellis

Default(except for no Hero Resurgence, of course) again, I would imagine. Except for perhaps actually including the Underground this time if the changes land before the Tournament starts.

NuMetal

Default(except for no Hero Resurgence, of course) again, I would imagine. Except for perhaps actually including the Underground this time if the changes land before the Tournament starts.

But if both parties agree you can play with basically any settings if I am not mistaken.

So if you and your opponent feel like it you could play a map without a surface, with water and lava to the max, without starting spells, slow settings, super strong defenders, many roaming units, no city founding and no starting town or settler. 😉

Castaneda

I would like to participate too!

28!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.