(Possible) new tournament

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions (Possible) new tournament

This topic contains 673 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  bf_markymark 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 674 total)
  • Author

Stormwind

If the patch comes through in time I would like to see underground too…its gets too little respect!

Well I think it likely said patch will be live before the game begins.

Epaminondas

Well I think it likely said patch will be live before the game begins.

I certainly hope so – in fact, I am hoping the UG overhaul by this Friday? 😉

We’re at 28 players now. We need 4 more and I can launch the website, which is all set.

Get your friends!

xlnt

+1 for the tourney

AbednegoJC

Millthunder told me to count him in (he has troubles to join forum atm).

So can you please consider this to his participation? thx 🙂

I read that as milfhunter

🙁

Now I can’t unsee that.

Anyway, he’s in.

SeeR

Ok I will take slot #32 , is this a ranked tournament ? does this mean I get first battle vs top seeded player ?

Looking forward to seeing the tournament page / draw up

Thanks BBB for doing the Tournament hosting work. I’ll send u some Whiskey if I win.

Okay, my ability to count is not very good apparently.

I have more than 32 players.

This is the list so far:

Garresh
    AbednegoJC
    Ariga
    Xaneorath

Mc-doge
    Ludomancer
    Dagoth-Ur
    Bouh

psudonym55
    alyra
    Prodigal Sun
    NINJEW

Meeky
    Gavagai
    Nodor
    Serahfemme

1337shinobi
    Revelation_777
    Gabriel Benichou
    Stormwind

Fenraellis
    Griffith
    Hatmage
    masterboja

millthunder
    Castaneda
    Blackwhisper
    CypherPhiber

yuriohs
    Marcus
    Ayenara
    Leon Feargus

TheInternetJanitor
    Unknown250
    Jomungur
    SeeR

sayl? (? = you never said if you wanted to be in, you just +1’d the thread!:))

They’re grouped like that so I can count them easier. BY my count that is 37.

I will have to randomise this, but making sure that the top ranked players from the last tournament go in, namely:

Ayenara (#1 last time)
    Jomungur (#2)
    AbedNegoJC (#3)
    Gabriel Benichou (#4)

That leaves 33 players for 28 slots. I’ll use a random thing to randomly get the players later on tonight.

Then I will use another random thing to organise the groupings (the above are NOT your groupings) but making sure that the above named people go into their own group.

Website will be published tonight, but some caveats:

Rules are not final, and any changes will then need to be translated into the respective languages.
    Settings are not final, but I am leaning towwards:

medium, few cities, default other stuff (except resurgence on heroes), UG on.

The reasoning behind this is:

medium = space to employ strategies. You can still “rush” but a good player will be prepared for that and be able to turn it around. You also have space to recover from a sub optimal start.

few cities = I ran some tests earlier, and 2 players on a medium map with UG are likely to get 14 cities on the surface and 9 underground, or very similar numbers. Medium maps are made for 4 players, so this is a counter weight to using 2 players. Few gives 9 on the surface and 4 underground, or similar numbers.

default other stuff = maintain some good randomness

UG = it’s a beautiful thing now, and the fact that you can choose to start there opens up some nice mind games. I predict Dwarf UG will be popular, for economic prospectors lol.

Actually, much fairer, I worked backwards and simply put the last names received into teh reserve list, i.e:

SeeR
    sayl?
    millthunder
    castaneda
    yuriohs

The rest are in the tournament.

I’ll post the groups tonight.

SanTiL

If there are any free place, I wanna join. I mean, if some spaces will become available.

My nickname is SanTiL

I know that there are not many chances, but call me if it will free.

SanTil you’re on the reserve list, incase anyone drops out.

Prodigal Sun

UG = it’s a beautiful thing now, and the fact that you can choose to start there opens up some nice mind games. I predict Dwarf UG will be popular, for economic prospectors lol.

Very very popular indeed because of good it is. Should it be allowed?

@ Prodigal, should it not be?

And if so, why not?

Yeah, it’s powerful, but is it overly so?

And in any case, I’m falling more and more out of favour with house rules.

I’d like to keep it really simple – 15 seconds rule ideally.

I might take on board Jomungur’s suggestion and just scrap split stacking rule.

Prodigal Sun

I am too in favour of implementing as few house rules as possible. I just notice in the singleplayer games I do right now that the vast amount of gold I get sets me rolling earlier that what usually happens with other races.

It has been noted. With 2 prospectors, I can reliably pull in 6 hexes worth of income, at the least, which is 60 gold.

However, if you are underground, there is still less there than above ground, so if your opponent is above ground, they will be clearing more mines etc, so imho it probably balances out.

Anyway, there are 2 weeks before this thing starts, so alot can change between now and then.

Epaminondas

However, if you are underground, there is still less there than above ground, so if your opponent is above ground, they will be clearing more mines etc, so imho it probably balances out.

This can’t possibly be true. No economy can compete with Dwarf UG economy at the moment.

xlnt

Okay, my ability to count is not very good apparently.

sayl? (? = you never said if you wanted to be in, you just +1’d the thread!:))

now i can’t un_see this ^^ .. it’s not april 1st, so it must not be some sick, english joke );

anyway – glad to be in the reserves then

p.s. s a y l …. o.O

Idk Epa, Warlord or Dread Tigran above ground with golden observatories will be producing a tonne of gold too.

Anyway, it’s been flagged, so maybe it will change between now and start, but I won’t be doing stuff like:

Dwarves UG are banned

or

Draconian Chargers are banned

(try them as Warlord, maybe ShadowBorn Master, focus on racial upgrades until you unlock regrowth. They are powerful. Only real counter is massed range, especially cannons or trebuchets!)

Prodigal Sun

Yeah I will do some testing but mining 3-5k gold before turn 20 was a no-brainer before the UG change, and now with it we have a lot more diggable walls so the gold will be flowing in consistently.

Epaminondas

Idk Epa, Warlord or Dread Tigran above ground with golden observatories will be producing a tonne of gold too.

I have tried Tigran Warlord; I don’t think the income gain is frankly remotely comparable – at least in the early game where every gold coin counts.

Anyway, it’s been flagged…

Normally, I am not a fan of nerfing stuff so quickly – especially given that I main play Dwarf, as you know. But I the income effect I’ve seen is surreal. Something has to be done fairly quickly.

Anyway, it’s been flagged, so maybe it will change between now and start, but I won’t be doing stuff like:

Dwarves UG are banned

or

Totally understand, and too early to say at this point anyways.

(try them as Warlord, maybe ShadowBorn Master, focus on racial upgrades until you unlock regrowth. They are powerful. Only real counter is massed range, especially cannons or trebuchets!)

Yeah, I suspect I will be using low-tier Draconian melees a lot more now. But they are still T1s though – so I think they are fine.

Marcus

yuriohs
    Marcus
    Ayenara
    Leon Feargus

Aw, shit. BBB, you had to put me in the team with the only guy I couldn’t defeat. That’s discouraging.

@ Marcus, those aren’t the teams…

Then I will use another random thing to organise the groupings (the above are NOT your groupings)

Your teams can be found on the website.

I haven’t put in a firm start date, but I am leaning to starting the weekend of June 5th, and having the first stage last one month. In each group there are a total of 6 matches, which is 4 players playing each other.

1 month should be more than sufficient.

Also, I need Russian and Polish translators on standby for possible rule changes.

Marcus

Oh, my bad then. If you need help with translating to Russian I can help.

Okay cool, in the Russian, it needs to read 32 players to 16, not 64 (which was the previous tournament).

Marcus

Hmmm, there is actually quite a lot of text you need to change. Most of the rules in Russian are from the last year, not to mention the part about “if we are going to get enough players” – I think that part is settled.

Also, if you’ll give me the full sentence it would be much easier.

Edit: But anyway…

“32 players to 16” will translate like: “Из 32 игроков 16” or “Из 32 участников 16” (which sounds better to me)

Gloweye

“32 players to 16″ will translate like: “Из 36 игроков 16″ or “Из 36 участников 16″ (which sounds better to me)

Russian exchanges the 6 and the 2? cause otherwise that should be “Из 32 участников 16″ most likely…

Marcus

Russian exchanges the 6 and the 2? cause otherwise that should be “Из 32 участников 16″ most likely…

Good point, editing.

Don’t translate anything yet. Over the next week I’m going to go over every rule, and get in touch with every player via Steam or email or galaxy.

AbednegoJC

Actually.. we can set some home rule for dwarf (if they will not be fixed.. but I propose to cut that dig amout by 4-5 so far)

Anyways. I like that ug, underground has been improved in many ways and playing without that is like to dehonest work of developers which worked hard to make UG balanced and playable.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.