Proposal: Have some fixed starting units

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Proposal: Have some fixed starting units

This topic contains 20 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Centurion-X 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

CrazyElf

This has been raised as an issue before, but the starting units have been really inconsistent between games.

I propose letting players create their own “decks” of starting units to compensate.

+1

Deck building sounds interesting, though the work needed to put in to make this work may outweigh the gain for the devs. Nonetheless, I hope they make something like this 😀

NINJEW

meh why not

ExNihil

I like the randomness here, you roll a range of possibilities and that adds a challange.

kwibus

It should be an option though.

I guess for multiplayer it’s a good idea to balance the start out.

ExNihil

On the contrary. Anyhow its fairly balanced as is.

NINJEW

I am far more frustrated by starting skills being random than starting army

One player starting with a T3 and the other players not getting a T3 can get kinda dumb though

Hasbulat

If there would be given an option to choose starting units by the points and strating skills from the avaluble pool, will be very nice.

I like the system with a starting game setting from the Beyond Eath. “Start with soldier? with clinics? with worker? additional energy? additional technology?” etc.

ninninnin

its especially noticable on frostlings. they have a particular synergy they need to take advantage of. goblins without a plague doc is harsh as well.

Host

I support less randomized start units, whether by removing the posibility of a T3, point-buy, or just getting a particular set of units (1cav, 1 support, 1 archery, 1 infantry, etc).

nspannaus

i like the idea of “deck building” in the pre-game

NEHZ

I’ve got no problem with the current system, but.. I do like me some ‘deck building’. (still sad that the warhammer pc games didn’t do stuff like that, when that’s the basis of the tabletop games they’re based on)

BB Shockwave

As it is now, you can set this in the settings for skirmish maps – strong, small, etc. I am fine with that. There should not be any class units though.

I proposed a relatively complex idea assigning players a set amount of gold and mana with which to buy their start units and also decide their start resources.

I coupled it with the idea of being able to pay for your leader to be different from your start race (so you could start as Goblins but choose an Elf leader, for example).

I proposed a relatively complex idea assigning players a set amount of gold and mana with which to buy their start units and also decide their start resources.

Awesome, this is really great. Even if your leader suggestion is too aggressive I really hope some form of “deck building” is implemented as an option for starting armies. At the very least, I’d love to see options like “has a support” instead of just average, strong, etc.

NINJEW

i kinda like the random element of your starting army, the only thing that ever doesn’t feel right about it is when one player gets a t3 and another player doesn’t.

if it was guaranteed that you’d always get a support and either always/never get a t3 (unless you’re necro), i would have absolutely no complaints about the random starting army situation.

again, i care far more about random starting skills. dreadnought is basically always guaranteed mana fuel cells and spy drone (exception being that summon hellhound could potentially replace either of those), which feels like a secret advantage to me. starting strategic spells have enough of an effect on the game that i don’t feel like they should be randomized: a rogue that starts with iron grip is definitely at an advantage over a rogue who got corpse looting instead, and a sorc that starts with dome of protection essentially gets a useless spell (when are you going to cast that in the first 20 turns?), though sorc has such a powerful earlygame that i guess it doesn’t really matter.

Lykus

I coupled it with the idea of being able to pay for your leader to be different from your start race (so you could start as Goblins but choose an Elf leader, for example).

I like the randomness (it is less annoying in SP and PBEM at least for me), but this idea sound really really great.

BB Shockwave

I prefer the randomness, too. And frankly I prefer starting with only a few units and not too powerful ones, unless it’s a campaign scenario where you take over existing heroes.

Btw, I wonder if that feature of AoW1 could be implemented in (custom) campaigns where you could choose not just heroes but units too to take over to the next scenario?

llfoso

I am fine with the random starting armies for most cases, but sometimes it doesn’t work so well – for example, orcs starting with nearly a full stack of razorbows is not ideal, or sorcerers with all apprentices when “strong” starting stacks are enabled. Halflings have some rough starts too.

The deckbuilding idea is interesting but might be a bit complicated.

What about preventing players from starting with more than two of the same unit in their starting armies?

Or, what if when you start the game you get to choose between two random starting armies, kind of like the choice when you pick up building supplies?
    It might not tell you all the information, it shows you a picture of one of the units that features prominently and the rest are still a surprise.

Example: you start the game, and are offered a choice between a picture of an archer and a picture of a knight. Clicking on the archer gives you a starting army with three archers, a longsword, and a civic guard. Clicking on the knight gives you a knight, an archer, a longsword, and two halberdiers. It’s still highly unpredictable, but you have a slightly better idea of what you’re getting and can prevent a starting army you really don’t want.

cbower

+1

Centurion-X

BLOODY BATTLE BRAIN, wow, I liked Your idea (Мне понравилась Ваша идея) about buying start units !!!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.