Proposed Change – Forced Migration Option

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Proposed Change – Forced Migration Option

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  NEHZ 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

syntax_vi

Hey guys,

I know that there is a sizeable group of players that do not quite like the new race mechanics in AoW3 (or lake thereof). It does stop me from playing a number of settings, as I still have trouble seeing Elves and goblins marching together united under one cause.

While I do hope that one day this will be addressed meaningfully, for now a simple option check box during setup would suffice – one that forces you (and the AI) to migrate a city once captured. WE already semi have the otpion RE heroes that match the players race, it would be nice to take it one step further and force migration. That way us Xenophobes could play with game settings that otherwise are painful for us (indie cities, adventure mode, etc).

If implemented we’d only then need the AI to be better at protecting / resurrecting heroes so it doesn’t burn through its racial heroes so quickly! Of course simply adding lots more heroes would also do this!

What do you guys think?

Leyrann

Would make the empire question multiculture impossible to get though. And everyone would automatically become evil.

syntax_vi

Not really worried about multiculture quest, and I doubt those that dislike the current status quo would either 🙂

As for becoming evil, you have a point. The option could be ammended to Auto Migration when capture + no penalty for migrating.

However, if this is hard to code I wouldn’t worry about it either, as I always migrate my conquests without becoming evil (unless I want to). And the AI often has such whopping scores of either good or evil I wouldn’t really worry about them either.

It’s not a perfect fix by any stretch, but would cater to the race traditionalist crowd without (hopefully) being too difficult to implement.

smeagolheart

Is killing Orcs evil?

It isn’t in Lord of the Rings.

Kaiosama TLJ

No offense, but I don’t consider plain nostalgia as constructive criticism. The removal of the fixed aligment of races is an improvement because it was an artificial limitation. You already pick Spheres/Specializations with your main race in mind, the other cities are not convieniently placed for you to capture (you need to find them first), some races synergyse better among themselves and on top of that bunch of Dwarves will have difficulties climbing mountais because that Swarm Darters they brought along suck at hiking. Bottonline, multiracial gameplay is not as easy as it sounds.

And you are also missing the point of Adventure Mode, where you have nothing to raise an Empire and you have to count on luck and your surroundings, and if you found a race that you don’t see fit based solely on xenophobia that’s not a gameplay problem.

Is killing Orcs evil?

But this isn’t Lord of the Rings either. 😉

Harleyquin14

Outside of catering to xenophobic players, is there really a point to this? One way is to simply set all AI and human factions to a single race on the map and then turn off independent cities and dwellings.

End result of only one race on the entire map should be enough to please the xenophobes.

I for one am quite happy with ditching the traditional “elves are good, goblins are evil. What on earth are they doing fighting for the same master?” trope.

Draxynnic

Is killing Orcs evil?

Actually, as Chryso would point out, according to the laws of the Valar even orcs should be shown mercy if they ask for it. It’s just that they rarely asked for it.

Gloweye

Actually, as Chryso would point out, according to the laws of the Valar even orcs should be shown mercy if they ask for it. It’s just that they rarely asked for it.

lets just say the guys making the movies didn’t know this…Still, it’s funny how things like this tend to be “hidden” in the Silmarillion, which most people never read, even those who claim to like the series…

I must admit it’s a while ago I read it to…

Decker87

I don’t understand the criticism. If you want to migrate them, migrate them.

NEHZ

The current system allows a lot of freedom: if you want to band races together, you can. If you don’t want to, you can migrate or raze.
    I have one custom HE hero that’s hung up in the stories of what the humans did to the dark elves and won’t suffer any human to live. She happily joins up with orcs and goblins but burns human towns to the ground.

I think that the biggest problem for OP is that you can’t control what your opponents do: they can have elves and goblins march together. But those kind of race restrictions are arbitrary. They aren’t the focus in AoW3’s campaigns and depend on the story you play. If you implement them, it limits the stories that can be told. By the way, in AoW’s setting it really isn’t weird for elves and goblins to march together, as that’s what they did in AoW1.

Getting back to the original subject: optional forced migration. I actually like this option just because it can lead to a very different game. It would have to force migration on ANY other race than your own or dwellings. Also, no evil points as mentioned. And you should be able to choose between the migration or razing/looting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.