question about previous AoW

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions question about previous AoW

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sunicle 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have 1 and Shadow Magic sitting in my account, I was wondering if they are worth firing up while I wait for the GOG version patch? One of the things that kind of annoys me with Shadow Magic was that its very hard to land a hit and I got some problems running it. Is it worth playing though? Not really concerned about the story but I want to play it for the random maps.

Host

Shadow Magic I recall being reasonably fun, but then that may just be because of how much I liked the Shadow Demons’ design; or the cool, muzzled draconians (as opposed to the current derpconians), or possibly even the mods.

Ao1ders, though, is still me favourite among the series; potentially due to the time spent on it as a child (- staring at nymphs, mostly -), but I would like to think it was because of the beautiful and fun to explore maps… as well as some of the lost tactical aspects, like unbreakable walls.

Erwin

I occasionally fire up the older parts and although I really need to get used to the old mechanics again I always end up still having a blast! The old games are still a lot of fun 🙂

It’s got naked Nymphs.

Nuff said.

Ok, I remember falling in love with tigrans and now I kind of got a grasp of the overall mechanics and brutality of AoW with my experience with 3 so far.

I was wondering where I could get some support with AoW shadow magic especially with some problems running it on windows 8.1 where when I alt+tab and return, the game would not display correctly and I have to quit and restart?

AndorDrakon

Not really worth it imo, the games havent aged well, graphics are atrocious and combat mechanics are annoying.

Not really worth it imo, the games havent aged well, graphics are atrocious and combat mechanics are annoying.

I never really got in to the combat because of recent memory, it felt like its like the DnD games where my hits miss most of the time. Its just that I want to delve in deeper since I reckon the game has been patched and perfected by now and it has a lot of things that are not in AoW (for good or bad, I saw a few posts complaining about stuff.) Just want to try to make the time waiting for the patch for GOG version for AoW 3 bearable.

Sunicle

I have 1 and Shadow Magic sitting in my account, I was wondering if they are worth firing up while I wait for the GOG version patch? <snip> Not really concerned about the story but I want to play it for the random maps.

It’s up to you, but I find the random maps not looking so good in Shadow Magic. Fans have made great custom scenarios, I would advise you take a look at the database: http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?category=scenarios.

Possibly you can also get better help with your performance problems at AoW Heaven: http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/index.cgi. There are quite a few existing threads about technical issues there. I remember Shadow Magic can be run in 3 different settings, and for me it has made quite a difference in which setting I ran it. I believe these settings can be accessed when you start up the game, but it’s quite a while ago that I ran the game, so I’m no expert on this.

I find the game certainly recommendable.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.