Question from a GOG user – Mods?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support Question from a GOG user – Mods?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ubetternotdothisshit 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Magus77

Hello,

I did not find any post about this, so:

I have the game from GOG, and I do not have Steam (and never will). Can I download these Mods (see latest new post, links to Steam Workshop) or are they exclusive for Steam?

Thanks

M

Tibbles

Find a mod on the workshop for the game, go here:
    http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/

paste the url of the mod you want and download it
    Put it in your Usercontent folder

Magus77

Wow!

Thank you, Tibbles!

Works like a charm!

M.

Edit: Spoke too fast 🙁
    The downloader downloads the map – but the map has the file type ‘.taf’. Renaming the map to .sam does not help. Neiter the editor nor the game knows the map, if I put the xxx.taf into my user folder (My games\AOW3\maps) and look for custom maps in the game, the maps are not show (i.e. not recognized).

Any ideas?

Thank you

M

Magus77

Sorry – found it out myself. When I put it to the UserContent folder, it works.

My package manager crashes, but I can play (only the package manager crashes, all other things, including the editor work). I have an older installation here – will update…

M.

Arnout
    Keymaster

I’m afraid the package manager might only work under Steam as its used for uploading the user files to Steam only.

Magus77

Hmm – I could live with that (yet it should not crash, but report).

Is there any possibility to open the .taf files otherwise, for example to export the contained map, and to look at it in the editor? Or is this an intended impossibility?

On this page to the new package manager it says, that you should be able to manage the content of the ‘UserContent’ folder, so I hope I can use it ‘offline’, i.e. just to mange the files locally.

That it crashes is an error anyway, but I have an older patch level (I am missing several patch files and I will NOT redownload from GOG – I have the older patch files on my other PC, so it could be my fault). I will look into this, but I am grateful, that we GOG-users have access to the content on Steam Workshop…

M

Magus77

Hallo,

now I did try it on my other PC – and there the package manager works without problems, I have the option to import and export. The game here is patched to the latest release.

This problem seems to be solved…

M.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Hi Magus, just to confirm, on your PC where it crashes, you’re still using the old version, right? If you were to update it, you think it would work fine?

We’ll be pushing a small Patch in the next few days, so I just want to confirm this doesn’t need to come with it!

Magus77

Hello,

I cannot tell from here which version I am using on the PC where the package manager crashes. I _think_ it could be 3_2.2.1.12 or 3_2.2.2.13 (GOG numbering scheme).

The package manager exists, but crashes when started (via double click).

Here I use the latest version (3_2.5.0.19, GOG numbering) and the package manager works fine, at least it can be started via double click and runs. (I am in the process to fetch something and try it out. Will report problems here, but I do not expect any).

Both PCs are nearly identical (one is in my house, other here in my flat). Both run with Windows 7, have a NVIDIA card (here GTX 980, other PC GTX 780) and 16 GB of memory.

So I think its just the older version…

M.

EDIT: Just fetched a scenario with steam downloader, put it to UserContent, and could import it with package manager, who unpacked the taf archive. This seems to work without problems! So – no need to patch it, it works fine in the latest patch.

M.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it Magus, thanks!

nburgmei

What is the path for the usercontent folder? I can find a content folder, but not usercontent.

Thanks!

EDIT: I found it the moment I hit submit. Thanks again. This thread has been very helpful.

Stormwind

I am so happy I am on Steam and dont have all these little issues. Patches weeks late, no friend list/chat with other AoW users, AoW groups and invites, convenient mod downloads that just work. I hope you all got at least a hefty discount…

i am facing problem in applying the mods whether they are from steam or nexus. The AOWLauncher did recognize the mods in the User Content Tab and the promised changes were not present in the game (debugged mode and normal mode) and i have both the expansion. Anyone have the similar problem or have some ideas?

Thanks in advance.

PS: downloaded scenario/map worked though

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.