Quests

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 5 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gloweye

I can’t seem to find what causes a quest to be generated.

I’ve found where the message of a city having a quest for you, and I can find the Quest generators, but I can’t find where there’s the thing triggering the quest generators. The thing I’m missing has a way to link a city’s race to a quest.

I was also wondering whether I need a city to provide a quest. I’d like other entities as well, possibly even cities that you already own offering quests. (whihc could be…repurposed to be offered by something else.)

Is there anyone who can shed some insight on quest generation?

EDIT: This question is regarding Mod Editor and quest generation in Random Maps, not the map editor quests.

Bob5

In the level editor scripting guide you should be able to find the scripts that start a quest. PlayerOfferQuest offers a quest, PlayerOfferCityQuest is the same only linked to a specific city that joins the player if the quest is completed. PlayerForceQuest gives the player a quest that can’t be declined. You can add script that starts the quest to most scripts, like a timer, completion script of a different quest, stack-area triggers, and so on.

Take a look at this example for instance

Gloweye

Im not looking at map editor quests – I know how that works. I’m talking about Mod Editor Quests, about how they get fired for random maps and the like.

Sorry, should have mentioned that in the original post. Guess I’ll change it now.

Gloweye

Really nobody aware of where to look for this? Or is this another sadly impossible thing to get?

MartyD81

@gloweye

I wish I could help you but my grasp of how things work in the editors are very, very limited:-(. Regarding quest givers, my common sense tells me that there should be more of them. In the RMG, there seems to be only a single quest giver though – cities. I would definitely like more structures to be able to give quests, what about a sage sitting in his “quest” hut, a wandering pilgrim offering quests etc. Not sure at all if this is doable through the mod editor…

MartyD81

Devs? Anyone?

Gloweye

Devs? please?

quo

The only object type that I know of that can trigger a script is Items, the on-pick up script. I found that by accident mainly, and haven’t tested it at all (have only really created a single item, a one-off speciality thing). But if you know the name of the script you need to trigger for a quest, you could try that? I don’t know that it would actually work in an RMG map though.

Gloweye

There’s room to trigger scripts, but we’ve got no handles in the mod tools, since all aliases like those you use in the map editor are assigned manually. If I could find the player owning a structure and assign him a quest (preferably with custom sender images), I’d be more than happy.

I’d be even happier if those quests could be to build structures(spirit of order might want you to build a storehouse or hospital, or spirit of magic might want a shrine/temple), or perform diplomatic actions and stuff.(spirit of war might want you to declare war, and so on.)

However, I want to make everything work on RMG’s, so one-off scripts aren’t going to cut it here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.