Quo's Minor Cross Class Mod

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Quo's Minor Cross Class Mod

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

quo

So over the weekend I created a small mod that adds Adept specializations that enable minor cross-classing abilities. It was mainly intended as a way to learn how the mod tools work, but I figure its worth sharing. It’s on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=518106579&searchtext=quo

Please feel free to leave any comments or ask questions. Even if you think something is over or underpowered or whatever (just don’t scream about it).

— What The Mod Does —
    This mod adds minor cross class features to the game.

This mod adds the cross-classes in the form of specializations you can pick on the character creation screen. It also makes a few minor changes to some core classes.

As of the alpha release, the available sub-classes are: Rogue Adept, Dreadnought Adept, Sorceror Adept, Theocrat Adept, and Warlord Adept.

Arch Druid Adept and Necromancer Adept are planned for a future release.

NOTE: This is an alpha test. Icons are not fully implemented, and there are likely to be balance issues.

——- CORE CLASS CHANGES ———–

ROGUE
    – Now has Urban Cover as an inherent skill(Irregular units have Urban Concealment)
    – Scoundrels no longer require a class building to construct
    – Bards no longer require a class building to construct

DREADNOUGHT
    – Engineers no longer require a class building to construct
    – The Weapon Kit spell now also grants Rapid Reload to the target unit

SORCEROR
    – Can now research Shock Missile as a class spell

——- NEW ADEPT SPECIALIZATIONS ————–

WARLORD ADEPT
    Inherent: Produce Scout
    – Authority of the Sword (60) 90
    – Berserk (140)
    – Garrison’s Honor (180)
    – Raise Militia (60) 90

SORCEROR ADEPT
    Inherent: Channeller (+5 CP)
    – Summon Wisp (60) 90
    – Summon Extraordinary Mount (80) 300
    – Shock Missile (70)
    – Lightning Storm (220)

THEOCRAFT ADEPT
    Inherent: – Lesser Order of Sacred Support (Supports are Devout, no medal)
    – Lesser Mark of the Heretic (300)
    – Lesser Prayer for the Hurt (Heals 4/hp turn)
    – Order of Knights Templar (80)
    – Smite (90)

DREADNOUGHT ADEPT
    Inherent: Mana Fuel Factory (10% Bonus to Building Machines)
    – Produce Engineer (60) 90
    – Produce Flawed Cannon (produce Flawed Cannons in cities with a Master’s Guild) (300) 600
    – Weapon Kit
    – Flash Bang

ROGUE ADEPT
    Inherent: Urban Cover (Irregular units have Urban Concealment)
    – Produce Bard (120)
    – Courtesan Ambassadors (80)
    – Cunning Escape (200)
    – Guild of Shadow Thieves (350)

quo

BTW I’m aware there is no Tome of Wonders page for these new spheres yet. I’ve still not been able to get that to function correctly. You CAN however see the list of spells from the Tome of Wonders once in the game by using the Skills tabs and selecting the Specialization you want.

Also: Should have mentioned you cannot combine any of these two sub-skill spheres together, they are all mutually exclusive. You also cannot combine it with the core class (obviously, there would be no benefit).

Arnout
    Keymaster

Cool idea to make ‘class’ specializations!

About the Tome of Wonders. Each specialization (and class) has an entry in GameConcepts.rpk and GameConcepts.xml. If you add this here you’re done 🙂

quo

I’ve fixed a few bugs and also finished up a version of the Arch Druid Adept class. This is a sub-class for anyone who ever wanted a Holy/Nature hybrid or whatever else.

In this version I’ve also made a change to the Arch Druid class itself, giving it better control over terraforming than other classes.

—-CORE CLASS CHANGES——

– Arch Druid’s now have the “Master of Terraforming” ability. They start the game with Terraforming researched, and must only spend half as much mana to terraform as other classes.

—NEW SPECIALIZATIONS—

ARCH DRUID ADEPT
    Inherent: Master of Terraforming (as described above)
    – Fertile Domain
    – Lesser Beast Mastery (all Animals and Monsters get +2 Resistance)
    – Rust Strike
    – Summon Lesser Animal (as Summon Wild Animal, but evolving Animals cannot be called)

ESCL

Great idea and looks very nice on initial inspection.

Warlord Adept looks a bit under powered though – no other class has any real use for the Scout. Especially not combined with Raise Militia.

Theocrat Adept seems to work a bit too much on making Devout units while only being able to use it with one spell. I get it thematically though.

quo

Theocrat Adept seems to work a bit too much on making Devout units while only being able to use it with one spell. I get it thematically though.

Thanks for that feedback. I agree and am hoping to do something about that. It will involve some minor changes to Theocrat base spells (or possibly the Heretic status effect itself) to make it work.

Warlord Adept looks a bit under powered though – no other class has any real use for the Scout. Especially not combined with Raise Militia.

Good point. I only really gave that to the Warlord Adept initially because the Warlord main-class happens to have it. Let me look through the Warlord skills again and see if there is something appropriate. The challenge with this has been making sure the Adept class is the same or weaker than the base class even if it gets the same ability earlier (see Dreadnought Adept’s 10% discount on Machines). If the sub-class ends up with something free, I may need to give it to the base class too.

ryukra

Ah, you can’t edit exported projects.. So, if you want to allow us to look into it, you need to upload it elsewhere.

Anyway, this is a good project. I still wait for a case study for adding custom races/classes. 😛

Thanks for that feedback. I agree and am hoping to do something about that. It will involve some minor changes to Theocrat base spells (or possibly the Heretic status effect itself) to make it work.

Just make one of the abilities in the class adept have “denounce”, and you would be golden.

I also suggest that you put the hunter for the AD adept instead of the wild animal, and have something like “ranger training” that makes tier 1 archers gain +4 mp and gives your hunters and heroes befriend animal.

As for a necromancer adept, I think a good way to do that would be to have the “battles generate undead population at nearest city” thing, so you could have a population boost that allows you to rush without happiness penalties (so they would be burned through first). Also inherent heal undead for a leader

probably a lost soul, stiffen limbs, lesser healers of the dead (only other heroes get it), and a random higher tier undead spell in combat (so banshee/reanimators through dread reapers).

Or you could do a familiar spell that gets you one Dread reaper (by making it a global spell that summons one at your leader’s position) only.

quo

I also suggest that you put the hunter for the AD adept instead of the wild animal, and have something like “ranger training” that makes tier 1 archers gain +4 mp and gives your hunters and heroes befriend animal.

Thanks for the suggestion, I used part of this idea. In the next release, the Fertile Domain spell (the one that gives +Population) for both the Arch Druid and Arch Druid Adept class will also give Archer units built in that city “Control Lesser Animal.” Control Lesser Animal is like Control Animal except it only functions on Animals of Tier 2 or below. This should allow Arch Druid Adepts a chance to actually get some Animals in their armies outside of summoning them.

I might also add a “Immune to Control Lesser Animal” similar to “Immune to Ghoul Curse” if it proves to be too overpowered being able to build so many units with mind control, although them being Archers probably limits it realistically.

I haven’t decided on whether to give Hunters to the Adept class. I kind of like it and kind of don’t. Are Hunters all that different from racial Archers? Would you still build racial Archers if you could get Hunters? I just don’t play enough AD to know.

quo

Just make one of the abilities in the class adept have “denounce”, and you would be golden.

So here’s what I did in the long run. The Theo Adept and the Theo class itself now start with all heroes having Denounce Heretic. I also turned Denounce Heretic into a Free Action, so that it’s now worth using (because otherwise it would make more sense to just attack).

I also added Heretic status to the Smite spell (actually I made it so anything that gets Smited by God has Heretic status permanently).

Then I expanded Knight Templar to include Pikemen and Hero units.

I’m pretty comfortable with where it is now. Perhaps a bit too powerful for an Adept set at present, but I have fun playing it, so not all bad.

Gloweye

Then I expanded Knight Templar to include Pikemen and Hero units.

Nice! This has always felt appropriate to me.

quo

I’ve worked all the way up through Apprentice Necromancer, released it, then realized it has a bug (of course).

Issue is, selecting Apprentice Necro should block out all the other Apprentice specializations. However, because Necro is defined in the DLC3 folders (because most Necro spells are there) and the other classes are all in the Vanilla folders, they can’t see each other.

What I need is to be able to make ClassSkillData_DLC3.rpk talk to AOWClassSkillData.rpk. Does anyone know if this is possible without breaking things?

Here’s an image showing the issue. This is the Forbidden Classes dialog box. Normally I’d just delete the missing links and replace with stuff from the right column, but this screen can only “see” the DLC3 classes, nothing from Vanilla.

If it can’t be fixed I can hand copy the specialization and all its spells into the Vanilla files, but I am hoping not to have to do that. 🙂

Gloweye

What I need is to be able to make ClassSkillData_DLC3.rpk talk to AOWClassSkillData.rpk. Does anyone know if this is possible without breaking things?

I don’t think its possible to do this. You’d have to find a point they can both talk to, or copy it all over.

Maybe the best way is to get the class definitions as deep in as possible (Some pack both of these can read, maybe UnitProperties? Or even deeper…). You should be able to make them exclusionary there and then link the existing skills to them from their current packs. I think that’s the neatest solution, even though some stuff is going to end up some place it doesn’t really belong.

quo

I don’t think its possible to do this. You’d have to find a point they can both talk to, or copy it all over.

Maybe the best way is to get the class definitions as deep in as possible (Some pack both of these can read, maybe UnitProperties? Or even deeper…). You should be able to make them exclusionary there and then link the existing skills to them from their current packs. I think that’s the neatest solution, even though some stuff is going to end up some place it doesn’t really belong.

Thanks for the ideas. I played around with burying the class deeper in the files, but unfortunately I need to have two-way communication between the files. Necro Adept needs to block out the Necromancer main class, and the other Adept specs need to block Necro Adept, and the only way that seems possible is if they are in the same RPK. I think I am going to need to just do a full copy of every spell the Necro Adept can use in the Vanilla files to make everything link up right. Will take some time and retesting, but hopefully will all work when reassembled on the other side. My only worry is the spell that summons undead units, not sure if it can summon stuff from across packs.

Gloweye

My only worry is the spell that summons undead units, not sure if it can summon stuff from across packs.

It’s working with unit Sets/Categories, right? Those work among packs just fine regardless of hierarchy.

As for Necro, is the class defined in general or in DLC 3 rpk’s? I haven’t checked it up, but most of the definitions are much deeper than the packs that contain the skills, and i kind of hoped this would be the same…(Cause I’m going to have a good look at this stuff to for the AoW 1 campaign once the first release is done…)

Garresh

Hey Quo, not sure if you’re still working on this much, but I like what I see so far. Haven’t done too much toying around with it cause of my own project, but the concept is really cool and seems like sound design. So just to pitch an idea…you should add cross class hybrid units. Maybe I can help down the road as my mod is nearing completion, but there’s a lot of potential for interesting units if you added Mastery level crossclass specializations. I.e. If you were a dreadnought with Druid Mastery you could make mobile infantry who have a 20 damage fire musket with no stagger type effect, but also get swimming and forest concealment like a hunter.

Just wanted to share the idea. Since I’m constantly brainstorming units for my mod I couldn’t help but see the insane potential in your mod…

quo

…you should add cross class hybrid units.

That is a badass suggestion, and I honestly hadn’t thought of it. I love the idea.

Truth be told, I’m mostly a “spells and abilities guy.” I’m really looking forward to writing a bunch of new sphere spells, and was mainly using the cross-class mod as a way to learn the existing spell systems so I can create my own. But if you are interested in developing special cross-class units and have some in mind I might be willing to work with you. You could potentially build it as an extension of my mod, I’d be willing to point you to the relevant hooks. I’m still not super sure about mod dependencies yet or if that is even possible, but I did write the mod with the idea that it should hook easily into other people’s systems.

quo

BTW, if you have a chance to look at my mod, take a look at the new Deputy Dreadnought spell “Life’s Work.” In that spell, the player takes an Engineer and a Builder unit and fuses them together to transform them into a new unit (pulled from the Summon Siege Engine table currently). Maybe something like that could be used to create these new units? Maybe not even require cross-classing, could make it like a Theocrat/Rogue thing where they have ways to modify the class units they convert/seduce.

Garresh

HM I’ll give it a look this weekend, but I promised a friend I’d get my first T3 done for testing tonight with my Phalanx variant. Anyways I’d be glad to help with units since that’s kind of my thing(I also help with particle effects!), but this is more a thing for a little ways down the road. If you want it I can definitely do a few units for you, though it would honestly be easier to just add it right to your mod. To put it bluntly, I don’t want to help extensively right now, since my own mod has so much left to do. But Id be glad to offer help with design and abilities if you need help there. I’ve already got a few simple concepts I can send you over steam if you’re interested.

Gloweye

I’m still not super sure about mod dependencies yet or if that is even possible, but I did write the mod with the idea that it should hook easily into other people’s systems.

You can make a mod dependent on yours by adding your mod from the package manager. Then that mod will be able to work with yours. It’s not like skyrim where a keyword can do the trick – only direct dependencies work, or stuff that hooks on vanilla requisites and the like.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.