Rage quitters and MP problems

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Rage quitters and MP problems

This topic contains 29 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Prodigal Sun 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Sartarius

Hello. I know this have been discussed already at some points but I want to raise the question once more. Playing MP random games is a real pain due to some people, and they are not few.

Example1:
    Standart start, auto vs ai. Turn 11-12, a player is leaving without any message. It seems he lost a stack to indies in auto. Game restart.

Example2:
    Turn 19-20. First battle 1 v 1 stack on neutral territory or some far city. 1 player looses, quit.

Example3:
    Turn 30+-. 2 players fighting, 3d player is taking a poorly defended city from one of em. Tears, cries “All on me!” quit.

I recently had a game where I lost a good champ stack with heroes and units in tomb, though it was an obvious victory. 2 heroes lost, 3 turns without leader, units. Then after 10-15 turns I lost main clearing stack for the player – I made a wrong move and he got me with 2 stacks. A good hero lost, 3 turns without leader, great champ units loss.

I managed to build up some – after a while I had another hero, bones and reapers, 2 stacks total. Those player who killed my stack rushed to my domain to take “easy victory”, he was a sorc so he reinforced his troops with summons. He got to my undefended city. I placed 2 stacks out of its domain so he couldnt see me. He took a city, walked out and I attacked him, 2 vs 2 stacks. But with spells and my setup he had no chances with phantasms and random stuff vs reanimators and bones. He QUITs. Just in fight. I though “what the hell?”

I lost many games, many won. I was in a really bad situations, without a signle unit by turn 25, been loosing lvl 10 heroes, loosing stacks of great units due to wrong moves against players when I just can bring my another stack and win a good fight. Some great loses cause of game lag when your opponent was a bit faster in the middle of the turn, but I NEVER quit before my defeat is obvious.

And so on. I want to say we are playing a game and you should get use to looses, you wont win every match. But when you rage quit due to some minor loses you ruin a game (which my be for quite long already) for the rest of the people. Well, it became unbalanced. Even in bad situation you should stay to the obvious defeat when you can surrender. Countless times we all were loosing our leaders/stacks/etc but behaving like that is just pathetic. We have a great forum community, but in 50% of MP games it became really terrible to look at it. I even had 1 guy rage quit when I took his far undefended city with a scouting boar. He said “you ruined my game” and thats all. Even if you loose some important stuff, you still can win a game, just dont give up.

I am in NQ group, have some MP friends, but sometimes you cant get a game with em or with group ppl or as well want to meet new players. I just want to tell you – dont cry and act like a child, it is a game, play and win or loose, but dont waste your opponents time.

P.S. I wanted to talk about PBEM also but it was discussed recently.

ah Lord Sartarius,

a grand description of everything that is wrong with pug multiplayer, to bad saying this on this forum only going to yield “yes you are right” messages but no people thinking “am I really that kind of player?”, most of the time that kind of player is not active on this forum.

still we all know what is lacking with those players, personal fortitude and a honor code. if you want to meet a few people who do have those virtues you should checkout if there is any steamgroup you can join.

Socratatus

This problem has existed ever since the start of net gaming, like 20 years. I’m not the youngest of players and saw mp games get ruined due to ‘rage-quitting’ and ‘trolling’ and other things 10-15 years ago. 15 years later, it’s still exactly the same with modern games. Devs can’t fix it becuase then they’d have to restrict Players to such a high degree that nobody would play their games, or more importantly, BUY them.

It will never be fixed because the problem is in the Human Being, the person, not the game. just get people on you know, like friends, if you have no friends who play online, tough luck.

Sartarius

Guys, I know this cant be fixed by someone. Socratatus, you are right about it in general, but it depends from game to game. With a good community and such a niche game for adults and mature ppl I though maybe there will be less such kind of ppl.

Maybe some of em will read this topic and think over. But Overlorddarkslash is also right, I doubt lots of em are reading forums 🙁

Lord Satarius, Just make sure you don’t have to meet them, that might be the best solution.

If you want I can invite you in the WOTL steam group, every single player there is guaranteed a non ragequitter (some of them are the more esteemed players on our forums). so if you want to make some friends you can join.

Sartarius

Thank you Overlorddarkslash. I mentioned I have friends and am in a NQ steam group, also I stated it in the last paragraph of the topic. But I will gladly join your WOTL group (read your topics about PBEM games), feel free to send me steam invite.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198007549765/

Socratatus

Guys, I know this cant be fixed by someone. Socratatus, you are right about it in general, but it depends from game to game. With a good community and such a niche game for adults and mature ppl I though maybe there will be less such kind of ppl.

Maybe some of em will read this topic and think over. But Overlorddarkslash is also right, I doubt lots of em are reading forums :(

I understand. However, you waste your time if you think you can appeal to these types of people. They enjoy seeing people get annoyed by this.

There are some decent honourable players out there, but you usually need to join a clan to get them, as I have in the past. Most rage quitters and the like are too selfish to be clan players (They love the anonymity of being able to act like jerks with no accountability).

p.s. hey, how come your smiley has become giant in my post!?

Invite send, participation in the games hosted is of mere motion but if you want you may also join in on the PBEM games.

p.s. hey, how come your smiley has become giant in my post!?

to show your dissent about those pestering ragequitters

Sartarius

I have no idea why it became so huge Oo 🙂

Castaneda

@overlorddarkslash,

could you send me an invite too? With the same problem as the TS and Im so longing for some great MP´s!

could you send me an invite too? With the same problem as the TS and Im so longing for some great MP´s!

of course, steam name please.

Bouh

While I agree thatr “rage quiting” is rude, I think there is a lot of honor in someone who can recognize his defeat and ask his ennemy if he can surrender.

While I agree thatr “rage quiting” is rude, I think there is a lot of honor in someone who can recognize his defeat and ask his ennemy if he can surrender.

Lord Bouh

If you lose a few units in the first 10 turns and give up it is not Asking for a surrender.

it is an fuck this shit I am out of here flee spree. there is no honor in that. after a big fight giving up on turn 100 with the enemy surrounding your last cities is an honorable surrender (even while I think that you should fight on until your last man lies death on the ground)

Sartarius

Indeed if you see you have no choices – you can surrender and thats fine. But thats another case.

Gloweye

As long as Menu.Surrender != Menu.ExitGame, the latter is extremely rude.

Ravenholme

Sartarius – Check out the AoW3 No Quitters group on steam if you haven’t already. They’re a group of dedicated players who aim to minimise this behaviour by house rules etc.

emky

OP, you describe one of the reasons I gave up on Internet play altogether a long, long time ago, and I see it’s still the same.

Plus it gives a good excuse to get together for local play. (Now if only AOW3 had true LAN play so we didn’t have to play hot seat. :/)

Gaslov

Need rated games with double score loss for leaving. Surrender should take 15 turns with option to cancel and not count as leaving.

Castaneda

my steam name is “Castanieda” 🙂

Stormwind

Sartarius I dont know what group you play with online, but I see probs. 1 and 2 basically never, I recall seeing 3 happen once several weeks ago.

If you are on steam there is a group called NQ (no quitters) that have grouped specifically to avoid this, I am friends with a large number of them and when they get online I can see it and even switch to AoW sometimes to catch them at the start of a game.

Now, PBEM is a completely different matter. Almost the opposite. I have had a full slate of PBEM games since it started and have not had a reasonable finish on any of them yet. 40% never even get started by the host in the first place, and of the rest basically about 100% die off after a few turns. I am close to giving up on them.

my steam name is “Castanieda”

there are allot Castanieda’s Lord Castanieda, is there something I can recognize you from? you could also add me overlord darkslash (the space in-between is very important).

Now, PBEM is a completely different matter. Almost the opposite. I have had a full slate of PBEM games since it started and have not had a reasonable finish on any of them yet. 40% never even get started by the host in the first place, and of the rest basically about 100% die off after a few turns. I am close to giving up on them.

you just need to find an good host Lord wintersend, a good PBEM game needs an dedicated host that keep the players roped in with an iron fist. having an steamgroup to manage the PBEM game is also something that helps keeping the game alive.

Nodor

As someone who plays MOBA’s, the ragequit is alive and well outside of the 4x genre.

On the other hand, in one of my current games I turned up the neutral defenders and wandering monsters to very strong & numerous. At turn 30, my leader had been in the void for more turns than she has been alive.

Losing 18+ turns of research, all of your heroes (repeatedly), your top troops, and frequently a town was demoralizing.

3 turns ago, I got sage, which gave me true resurrect.

Do you have any idea how much fun it is to walk into a legendary dungeon, and walk out with your entire army and two new Halfling Manticore recruits with medals?

Now, that said, sometimes strategic games are simply lost, but with the ability to snipe thrones and leaders, Age of Wonders hits that point well after other games in the genre.

Sartarius

Sartarius – Check out the AoW3 No Quitters group on steam if you haven’t already. They’re a group of dedicated players who aim to minimise this behaviour by house rules etc.

Thanks but I mentioned already in my first post that I am in NQ group 🙂
    The point is – playing with friends is good ofc and I do play but sometimes you want something new or they are unavailable. So you just want to press “join” or create your own game with new random ppl and have a good match/

cicero

While this is mainly a human problem and not a game problem, there are things that can be done to reduce the problem.

– A ranking system with extra negatives for not completing a game, for those that care about ranking.
    – A post match rating system using your Triumph account for those that dont care about rankings. There are ways to reduce the ways to abuse these systems, and they can work well.

Nerdfish

I don’t play MP. I am not going to sugar coat this, but the autocombat AI is nonredeemable piece of crap. it’s actually rage inducing.

I’d imagine people set up their armies for specific tactics, not rushing at the enemy like mindless lemmings.

I don’t blame anyone for having to reload or quit after an autofail battle.

Sartarius

We are all in the same box. And all agreed to play this rules.

You cant play a MP game without autovsAI in MP games due to time. And cant manual humans in PBEM. Thats the problem. The only fair way – long hotseat or game with friends accepting manual vs ai.

If only we could have some manual vs player implementation in PBEM game. But you know – it is manual time arrangement… Um, very, very unlikely to work.

Stormwind

I used to call for manual battles in PBEM too, but I am so disenchanted with player participation I wouldnt care and it wouldnt solve the problems.

I have become a quitter myself. If I dont see a move in 3 days – bam I am out.

My prescription for saving it remains the same (as I poisted in another sub forum)

1. Eliminate the 5 game cap so I have no particular pressure to abandon lackluster games.
    2. Ranking or rating or some other means of tracking how often a person quits so you can know who to avoid. Maybe even a host setting – if your dropout rate is higher that 65% then you cant join (any lower than that and probably no one would qualify!)

Socratatus

I`m just glad that there is still a rich single player game we can return to when the online players annoy me with such antics. It’s one reason why I never buy a game that’s online only.

Prodigal Sun

I don’t really have much of an issue with people leaving public MP-games. You generally know which people to trust, the arena isn’t large enough yet. I got at least 1500h into MP alone and it’s not much of an issue at least once you settle into it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.