Random Map Survey

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Random Map Survey

This topic contains 58 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  Yvn01 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Fimbul

There are some weird results: sweet spots of cities, i’m sure i picked the one of 6-10 and i can’t belive that a third of all voters prefers to have only one city!

Even more extrem is the armies poll: i choose 6-10, not that everyone likes more armies but 70% 1-3 sounds strange. and i’m playing mostly with only the leader and two heroes, so only 3 leaded armies, the rest are units only.

i would have liked other options of game mode. my typical setup is village but with a stronger starting army to make exploration more smooth at the start.

Alenrodaer32

Hello,
    I play solo, I can not catch a green connection.

The size of the map is a large and very large. Only 80% of the surface. Combined with caves 20%.

Standard opening or the village. Growth and technologies slowed. Putting the cities off. Defenders of objects 5 units. Cities neutral and habitat for many creatures set.

The number of players is the most 7 times 8. It would be 9 (all race) but not so set.

Preferred type world: the island.

The typical number of turns I like also is complete and the game is 150-200.

The next questions I do not understand.
    My sweet spot for the number of armies I have is, around. 2-3 of heroes to clean structures and some ordinary army to catch opponents and aggressive creatures.

My sweet spot for the number of cities I have is, around :. I earn evenly. The number of cities is neutral. It focuses mainly on neutral cities such. Fairies / giants and others because they have unique buildings. And it is the expansion of these cities gives me pleasure. Sprawl is boring race in each is the same.

Last I do not use the option to choose your opponents, so I have not to date information. I would like more to come random option to race and class. Already explain: choose the player 1 elves, dwarves for 2 for 3 orcs, and the game itself will select the class. Similarly, if I choose only class.

I would like to separate slider responsible for the occurrence of races neutral cities.

Wallthing

There are some weird results: sweet spots of cities, i’m sure i picked the one of 6-10 and i can’t belive that a third of all voters prefers to have only one city!

Even more extrem is the armies poll: i choose 6-10, not that everyone likes more armies but 70% 1-3 sounds strange. and i’m playing mostly with only the leader and two heroes, so only 3 leaded armies, the rest are units only.

i would have liked other options of game mode. my typical setup is village but with a stronger starting army to make exploration more smooth at the start.

The 1 city & 1 armies option in the poll were previously, IIRC, 1-5 cities and 1-5 armies, so a lot of the votes were for something that isn’t displayed in the results anymore.

Jolly Joker

For the record, I tokk it that “armies” means “active fighting groups” consisting of any number of stacks.

Anyway, I’m a bit unhappy with question 1. Sure, single player is the thing I play most, but not because I would like it so much better than the rest.

I’d like to take the chance and say that live MP and AoW 3 are an uncomfortable fit: AoW 3 shines on the battlefield and with combining that with a to-the-point empire-building background that is streamlined to serve military needs. Which means, live MP with autocombat dismembers a vital part of the fun (which is why I think AoW 3 MP would be served best with a complex Arena MP mode.
    You might say, Live MP either takes way too much time or is somewhat amputated.
    Then there is PBEM, and I think I will always have a PBEM running as long as the Triumph servers are up – but here the problem is that the actual sweet stuff, battle player vs. player, doesn’t happen.

Which means, we have 3 modes that offer a lot for everyone, but what is missing is an option that caters to those who like the challenge of playing live MP – but love a real fight, especiall in a game like AoW3, and don’t have the time to be 12 hours online. (*Hint, hint*) 🙂
    I consider

Uhm… like others have said, this survey seems borked.

I voted “1-75 turns” for game-length, but the results only show “1-50 turns” and “50-100 turns” as options. (I’d have picked the second, if that had been a choice.)

And I couldn’t select specific numbers of armies. Only 1-10 and 11-15 ranges or something…

bam65

Most people prefer 1 army and 3 cities? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

Lord of Riva

im kinda irritated as well, i dont want to sound as if i would complain about the results but this suirvey is really borked as others have said, could we get some dev input?

Jordos69

I really love to play the campains. Love story lines:)
    Keep up the good work.

Groetjes /Cheers

SikBok
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for participating in the survey.

On the values displayed on the ‘results’ page, the plugin seems to not have updated the values for the results page when we changed them for the questions page. Sorry about that.
    I’ll make a nice overview with the correct values when we analyze the date.

On the sweet spot questions, those are indeed how many cities/armies you enjoy controlling the most.

Kaiosama TLJ

Like many already pointed, this survey is weird.

The first five questions actually make sense, but the other ones are to “precise” to be answered by a human being. What I mean is that I don’t usually pay attention to the exact number of armies that I have or turns that I took even when I finished the game. And on top of that because of the randomized maps in this game you can finish a game quicker or longer than you antecipated depending of the resources/dwellings close to you.

Just my 2 pennies because cents are too mainstream. 😀

terrahero

Interesting questions, i guess Triumph wants to see how people mostly prefer to play the game.

I have to say i find the statistics to be expected considering this is only representative of this forums community. In actuality i believe the singleplayer-to-multiplayer ratio is far more sided to singleplayer, even more than demonstrated here, but we have a fairly vocal and active multiplayer community on these boards.

PowerMaik

I love this game, it is really awesome.

One question: It is possible, to make a Option in the random map generator, were I can choose the races, where the leaders belong to it? And than with a random class?

Example, I play with eight Teams:
    Team 1 = My leader
    Team 2 = race human, class random
    Team 3 = race orcs, class random

and so on.

Greetings PowerMaik

SikBok
    Keymaster

In actuality i believe the singleplayer-to-multiplayer ratio is far more sided to singleplayer, even more than demonstrated here, but we have a fairly vocal and active multiplayer community on these boards.

The difference between the distribution here and the number of people that have the ‘Taste of Victory’, ‘Champion of Wonders’ and ‘Going Postal’ Achievements over on Steam is something of interest.

Epaminondas

Finally, Triumph’s in-house poll proves what I have been saying all alone: A rather clear majority of players prefer singele player games AND large or XL map games.

He’s back!!!

I actually am strangely happy to see him back.

Epaminondas

He’s back!!!

I actually am strangely happy to see him back.

I’ve been reading the threads, and voting on various polls – this one just compelled me to respond, rather than being silent.

NINJEW

Finally, Triumph’s in-house poll proves what I have been saying all alone: A rather clear majority of players prefer singele player games AND large or XL map games.

i don’t think anyone ever disputed the number of players who enjoy either of those things

i’m actually pleasantly surprised that medium maps, large maps, and XL maps seem to have close to equal numbers of people playing them. also pleasantly surprised by the large number of people who want to complete their games before turn 100, as well as the small army and city counts.

Epaminondas

i don’t think anyone ever disputed the number of players who enjoy either of those things.

You are so very wrong; but I don’t have the energy to research old posts.

NINJEW

i thought the old arguments were “single player concerns don’t matter” not “single player players don’t exist”

Epaminondas

i thought the old arguments were “single player concerns don’t matter” not “single player players don’t exist”

Not quite. Quite a few – perhaps the majority of MP proponents – actually argued that they were the majority of the playerbase, not just more “‘leet.”

But anyways, it’s irrelevant at this point. Let’s see what Triumph does with this info. At the moment, I am not sure if there will be further game development, so no point in wasting my breath.

NINJEW

Not quite. Quite a few – perhaps the majority of MP proponents – actually argued that they were the majority of the playerbase, not just more “‘leet.”

lol that’s dumb as hell, you shouldn’t need a survey to tell you that most players are SP

NINJEW

also these recent surveys seem very obviously geared more towards “what should our next game be like” than “what would you like to see in an expansion,” considering they’re asking about high level game design topics like “what’s the target number of cities you enjoy owning” or “what map size do you prefer” instead of specific features

Epaminondas

also these recent surveys seem very obviously geared more towards “what should our next game be like” than “what would you like to see in an expansion,” considering they’re asking about high level game design topics like “what’s the target number of cities you enjoy owning” or “what map size do you prefer” instead of specific features

I am afraid you may be right 🙁

I hope we get at least mod tools before AoW 3 folds.

NINJEW

i liked aow3 quite a bit. i think i’m ready to see what triumph could accomplish with an entirely new project.

LordTheRon

I think I also misunderstood the 1-5 choices, I thought they were generally asking between 1-5, not asking for a specific number…

Made the same mistake.

Lord of Riva

I could do with some real “news” by now. could we get a pointer about what these surveys are about?

new game, new Expansion, anything? 😛

also how many will still come?

Jaim

I also keep coming back to the news section hoping for actual news. I would love to hear about Triumph’s plans for the game, but even a hint that there will be no news this year would be fine – I wouldn’t bother to look for news every day if I knew.

mettius

My favorite map type would actually be to have much more choice and variation. Like all the variety in Civ 4/Civ 5 for example.

-Mettius

Yvn01

I only play guest due to unstable internet link.
    I really feel pity to not be able to play under my account offline with a synch of data when internet is available.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.