Re: Did all-nighter on Golden Realms – Great work Triumph :)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Re: Did all-nighter on Golden Realms – Great work Triumph :)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Graavarg 8 years ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Mr_Pete

Did an all-nighter (9pm – 6am, but with one eye on the Scottish independence result 🙂 ) on the new Golden Realms campaign, just finished the first mission. Hope to do the second and third ones by next week. Just wanted to say how great it is and the halflings are a fun race. The first campaign mission is really well designed with some interesting surprises.

Triumph (and everyone else who contributed) did a really good job on the new AI from patch 1.4. The strategic world map AI is much more aggressive and cunning now, it particularly seems so with the roaming/raiding independents. But the tactical/battle AI really took me by surprise in how cunning it is and really knows how to exploit weaknesses in my defensive lines, particularly flanking. I lost my favourite Elite Brew-Brother to a two-pronged flank attack!

By the way, I think this should be noted as bug, but when I reloaded a save half-way through the campaign I noticed that the music stopped playing on the world map. Just got the ambient sounds from the jungle etc, which was actually refreshingly good to hear briefly. I assumed it was a bug and once I entered a battle the music started again and was there again once I returned to the world map.

So congratulations to Triumph and I can’t wait for the next DLC expansion (I suggest Frostlings would be great as more arctic settings (with e.g. Abominable Snowmen or Dire Wolverines as units) would be refreshing. Campaigns for me are always the biggest draw, I’ve been a devoted fan of Age Of Wonders since 1999.

Have a great weekend everyone 🙂

Epaminondas

Pretty much the same here – I played virtually all night, and actually only semi-watched only the first half of Thursday Night Football (given that I am football fiend, this is quite a feat – even women can’t get me away from the screen when an NFL game is on).

The game’s gotten better with each patch (and now one DLC) since release. Frequently, substantial patches mean that games regress and improve simultaneously, as often unwanted elements are added in as well. But for the most part this has not been the case with what Triumph has done. That is, the major changes have been good in an unalloyed manner, and there are very few howlers. Frankly – and in spite of my many audible complaints that may mislead you regarding my view of the game – the game is now fairly complete at base and needs very little improvement aside some balance issues. From hereon it should be adding more goodies such as races, classes, and perhaps more innovative game elements like the wonderful city defense structures we were gifted with recently.

I am, for the most part, very satisfied.

Deified_Data

Agreed regarding patches – they’re often a mixed bag that can be one step forward and two steps back. But Triumph has patched AoW3 from my game of the year to one of my favorite strategy titles of all time. Can’t say enough how much I appreciate their keen eye for balance.

I played from about 9 PM to 3 AM last night and didn’t even make it through the first Golden Realms scenario. I’ve just been enjoying the process of feeling out the halflings as a race, there’s a lot to dig into there. I restarted the scenario a couple times just because I wanted to start fresh with the knowledge I’ve gained.

Mr_Pete

Yes I totally agree with Epaminados and Deified_Data, I definitely see the game as basically complete at base. The balances and additions are great and Triumph has a solid foundation for future DLCs. I’m currently on the second Golden Realms campaign mission and loving every minute of it. A+ to Triumph 🙂

Garresh

Agreed regarding patches – they’re often a mixed bag that can be one step forward and two steps back. But Triumph has patched AoW3 from my game of the year to one of my favorite strategy titles of all time. Can’t say enough how much I appreciate their keen eye for balance.

I played from about 9 PM to 3 AM last night and didn’t even make it through the first Golden Realms scenario. I’ve just been enjoying the process of feeling out the halflings as a race, there’s a lot to dig into there. I restarted the scenario a couple times just because I wanted to start fresh with the knowledge I’ve gained.

Not even slightly surprised. They did make Shadow Magic after all. They’re probably the only company that hasn’t gone downhill after a 10 year break from an IP.

Mr_Pete

I totally agree.

Triumph Studios, along with CDProjekt (makers of the fantastic ‘Witcher’ series and Good Old Games) are among my favourite developers still working. Other great studios e.g. Black Isle (makers of Fallout, Baldurs Gate & Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment – the latter being probably my favourite game ever) have unfortunately fallen by the wayside although key members of their teams are still around & designing games.

I did occasionally wonder what happened to Triumph after 2003 and Shadow Magic, as I never played the Overlord series. Well, Age of Wonders 3 shows they are still as talented as ever…and great to support a European / Dutch company 🙂

Ultimatiger

how has no one talked about how awesome Clarissa and the party robots are, totally the best moment of the first level of the campaign(so far im not quite done it yet) but ya i was pretty disappointed when i heard halflings were the only new race being added in, but i love them, so funny and you have to be sneaky to do well. im playing on hard(i always do) and i was surprised by the sieges of my throne city, those nagas are nasty, but it is also nice to have some real challenges, i also love some of the new items, second breakfast for example. i like the change to ranged damage, little less cheesy when you have multiple damage types.

Draxynnic

how has no one talked about how awesome Clarissa and the party robots are, totally the best moment of the first level of the campaign(so far im not quite done it yet) but ya i was pretty disappointed when i heard halflings were the only new race being added in, but i love them, so funny and you have to be sneaky to do well.

Oh, yeah, I can post my adaptation of Clarissa to a leader in the public forums now. Give me a few minutes…

terrahero

You kids and your all-nighters…

I just played a lot during the day, like a sensible, responsible, boring, adult. But i did have a lot of fun, and when the cat woke us both up at 6:30am on a saterday morning, i took it as an excuse to just get up early so my girlfriend could sleep some more.
    And while i’m up…

I’ve been having a blast, for me the dlc has really done a lot in ways to keep the game interesting and fun to play. So im quite satisfied.

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback everybody, very encouraging. This is a big release for us and issues that show up now its out we’ll tackle in the coming days.

madmac

This patch and expansion are just beautiful, you guys deserve all the props and more. There are so many new viable options and combinations that it’s almost staggering to think about. Halflings are stupidly fun to play. Naga’s are great. Everything is great.

I want to give a particular shout-out to Champion Ranks. Such a simple little feature, but so unbelievably fun. In my last game I had a Buttercup Fairy I picked up from my very first battle that accompanied my Leader the rest of the game and had over a 100 HPs by the end. I had a Monster Hunter who cleared dozens of tombs without falling and become my leaders most trusted bodyguard. It takes otherwise unremarkable units and turns them into legends. So much fun.

Graavarg

How did you finish?

I have beaten both enemies, all (three) heroes are alive. I control the complete map (turn 130+), there is nothing left to do (except hunting down and killing off the few monsters still left).

Otherwise I agree, as an avid AoW player (started out with MoM, a long time ago :)) this is now a beatifully balanced game. Especially so, the possibility of lifting your lower tier units to lofty championship levels. This removes one of the few real drawbacks in the game. The AI also seems to be playing a lot smarter, both on the map and in battles.

Eric

@graavarg I take it you are talking about the first Halfling Campaign map? There was a bug where, in a very specific situation, the scenario would not finish when you killed your two enemies. We have fixed this in a patch, but if you started the scenario before our fix you can still run into this issue. You can just cheat ‘Hein’ (press ctrl+alt+c to open cheat window and then type ‘HEIN’) to win the map and progress to the next campaign map.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Narvek
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, makes us really happy 🙂

Graavarg, already reported and solved, workaround is ctrl+alt+c and type ‘hein’ + enter, which will complete the map for you. Sorry for that.

EDIT: Eric ninja’ed me :p

arminius85

Very fun to play indeed! I’m about halfway the first map (Clarissa just joined me) and I must say, those Party Robots just look fabulous!

One minor thing: when Camille (or what’s her name, the Halfling Rogue) concedes, you get the hero with a few items. However, there’s also a goodie bag with the same items lying around where she ended her independent existence. I’ve put them to proper use on Clarissa but I think the bag should dissappear (if possible).

Hear, hear! All-nighters are the best kind of nighter. 🙂

Graavarg

Thanks guys!

Exceptional service (moderator and others alike), almost brings tears to my eyes.

On another note (from the “all-nighter” in the title): in today’s hyped-up world games, like movies, get their ratings based on a lot of “fluffy stuff” (trying to be kind here).

I think that all you ever would need to REALLY evaluate how good a game is would be an index based on how often the following two situations occur:
    1) “just one more turn” or “just a couple of minutes more”
    2) “OMG, the clock is 04:30 in the morning and I have to be att work/in School at 08:00!”

The first part of the index could be further enhanced by measuring how many times the “just one more turn” occurs during the same session, the second if the gamer decides that “since the time is what it is there is really no use going to bed, so I can just as well continue playing”,

AoW3 would score pretty high… 🙂

Regards

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.