Request: Champion rank turn on/off option

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Request: Champion rank turn on/off option

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  BB Shockwave 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

kwibus

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this being discussed so I might be alone in my opinion.

Rarely you encounter a champion ranked AI unit. Simply because their units die a lot and there is not much the AI can do about that.
    I always cherish my units so there is a big chance I end up with heaps of Champion units and early game when they reach gold medal and first Champion rank(which is still ok) it’s not a huge deal, but allready an advantage, but the further I get into the game my Champion rank 3/4 units just shred the AI apart. I don’t even bother with manual battles anymore…I rarely lose a unit.

In Vanilla AOW the max rank was the Champion rank. There was no Champion 2 or higher and personally I prefered that as it’s better balanced vs the AI and since I play SP mostly I care for that most.

I allready know there are plenty of people who love the Champion rank and higher (Like Epi) so I wondered if it’s hard to make it an option?

Champion ranks: no tag is max rank for a unit is Champion and when it’s tagged they can get champion ranks. Something like that.

I wonder if more people ever thought this was an issue?

Gloweye

In Vanilla AOW the max rank was the Champion rank. There was no Champion 2 or higher and personally I prefered that as it’s better balanced vs the AI and since I play SP mostly I care for that most.

Highest vanilla rank was Elite, not champion. Also, AI gets better at this at King/Emperor difficulties.

kwibus

I’m playing King AI atm and I rarely encounter champion ranked units. If I do they are usually 1 among lower ranks.

Mardagg

I agree with this and would like to have the option to disable champion rank.
    While I love the champion system, I can see myself playing without it in some circumstances.

Gloweye

I’m playing King AI atm and I rarely encounter champion ranked units. If I do they are usually 1 among lower ranks.

I’ve met a couple. Depends a lot on how long they have to build up – XL map with far starting distance gives them more time to level them.

As for the topic, I can’t see myself using the option if it existed. So I’m not in favor.

kwibus

I’ve met a couple. Depends a lot on how long they have to build up – XL map with far starting distance gives them more time to level them.

As for the topic, I can’t see myself using the option if it existed. So I’m not in favor.

Just finished an Xl map.
    My last opponent a Necromances had some champions. Since he was slow and underground I guess he had quite some time on his own. Still… an champion 2 Lost Soul and a Champion Reanimator wasn’t quite what I was afraid off.

Personally I think it’s a good penatly for the Human player. Maybe also interesting for the people that steamroll Emperor AI. Allthough they usually win the game before a unit gets a gold medal I think 😉

Khelle

It was discussed before, I created 2 topics on this matter, but two times it was rejected as it seems everyone loves this mechanics too much to even give the rest option to disable it.

I fully support this idea, as this mechanics in my eyes it makes game shift from proper strategic gameplay to race for doomstacks.

Your solution also doesn’t actually address the issue, which is that the ai doesn’t preserve its units well enough to make them champions. Solutions would be giving the ai at high levels (say emperor and king) a 50% experience bonus, or double levels, or passive xp gain for all its units.

That would also help with ai heroes and leaders, who often aren’t as high level as they should be.

Hatmage

Personally, I think that a maximum champion level slider analagous to the maximum hero level slider is a good idea. It may require some homogenisation of HP growth by tier to compensate, as the current champion system is important in letting people make use of good-but-frail T1 and T2 units.

Ericridge

I’ve seen AIs come at me with alot of elites and champions usually after the expansion phase is complete and they’re focused onto you. Its just dependant on how tough the class is.

Sorcerers and Warlords tend to have champions. Anything else, not really that much.

I”ve seen a champion rank 3, 4 Gryphon riders.

Jolly Joker

Since it is fun to grade units up, switching them off would be a silly idea.

Why not make the feature balanced instead? If you play with strong or very strong defenders you will indeed be able to create doomstacks, but there are some options to balance this:

I think, that an increasing XP need to level up would be in order. For example, since you have 4 medals, Champion 1-4 would need the full XP, Champion 5-8 double the XP, so for a T1:
    Champion 1: 140
    Champion 2: 210
    Champion 3: 280
    Champion 4: 350
    Champion 5: 490

OR: The XP may increase by half of the full XP needed:
    Champion 2: 245
    Champion 3: 385
    Champion 4: 560
    Champion 5: 770

Or: the XP may increase by 10xTierx(Champion level – 1)
    Champion 2: 220
    Champion 3: 310
    Champion 4: 410
    Champion 5: 520:
    (For T2s this would be)
    Champion 1: 220
    Champion 2: 350 (instead of 330)
    Champion 3: 500 (440)
    Champion 4: 670 (550)
    Champion 5: 860 (660)…

kwibus

@jollyjoker

I agree leveling units up is fun, but tbh once they’ve reached the first champion I don’t care much about it anymore.

With very strong defenders on having champion units really helps yes, but that’s why I suggest an enable/disable option.

I don’t like having an advantage over the AI. They need the advantage more.
    And to all the people that said they encountered champion AI units…. Yes ofcourse they always have a few, but like any other unit they suck at keeping them alive and the human player has lots more of them.

I mean in my last game, xl land map vs 7 king ai’s i had atleast 6 stacks full with champion units at turn 108 when I won. Atleast…

Only a warlord AI gets decent ranked up stacks, because of global assault. A strong warlord ai end game can actually be a challenge.

Triscopic

…There are Champion ranks above 1? Hmmmm. I need to auto-resolve a lot less.

BB Shockwave

Odd request. I think it’s Champion that makes low-tier units still viable in late-game when you encounter armies of tier III-IV units only and a medal-less Tier 1-2 would be one-shotted by things like dragons, phoenixes, juggernauts or shrines. I too love to save my units – I barely ever lose one – and in my current game I have many Champion 4 Prowlers, Cheetahs, Shredders and Sun Guards (getting the 100 units empire quest and the level-up of all my units sure helped too) – but as good as they are, they still can get close to death when one or more high-tier enemy starts seriously dishing out some damage – Phalanxes or Manticore Riders, Dread Reapers were all responsible for some battle reloads for me.

That said, for custom games, I approve, make this a click-able option

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.