Rogue Heroes: How do you skill them ?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Rogue Heroes: How do you skill them ?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  thabob79 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

As the title says, id like to know how you skill your rogue heroes and generally which are considered best/worst skills to take ?

Motasa

I find the most use for Rogue-heroes as bodyguards of my leader. I tend to ignore the party skills – as they spend nearly all time in my leader’s stack – and spells; I build them as melee-powerhouses (+melee damage, +defence, sprint, assassins strike, inflict severely poisoned, etc.). When finding useful weapons (extra melee damage channel) or mounts (flying mounts = easier backstab), I give them to the rogue hero. Once he gains First Strike, Total Awareness and you get lucky with an item giving a hero Tireless, you got yourself an unbeatable force.

As for heroes of other classes:
    Warrior heroes are great commanders with party wide abilities, Archdruids/Theocrats/Sorcerors are great supporting heroes with great ranged attacks, healing and some nice spells (so worth investing skill points on more spellcasting points), Dreadnought with Fire Bomb and Bestow Iron Heart can be a nice all-rounder (great at range, thanks to Armored okay at melee). In my opinion the Necromancer is the least useful hero if your not playing the Necromancer class already; there is too much synergy between the Necromancer and undead units.

I handle my rogue heros quite similar to the way Motasa described: One man/woman killing machines. As for tireless: no need to get lucky. Its in the item forge on leg items.

As for heros of other classes: I do most of them as commanders/supports with party skills. Dreads I sometimes also use as fighters.

he Necromancer is the least useful hero if your not playing the Necromancer class alread

I would not go that far. I pretty much build them as ranged rogue variant. investing almost anything into “inflict” skills. THis way they can almost crush anybodies defense giving your other units an easy target. I also give them Aura of undead when available as this helps a lot when clearing tombs etc and fightin necromancer AIs.

Klydon

I go at it a bit differently. I find rogue leaders to be a bottomless pit to spend points on. You just never have enough points.

While I do like having them in the leader stack as a super melee/extra spell caster, I also use them to help with city assaults later. They have a lot of useful tools in order to help in the city setting including giving wall climbing to units they command, sabotage, etc. I don’t necessarily get the poison buff for the rest of the army simply because poison is one of those things that a lot of others are immune to or have a high resist to. Getting the extra physical damage for the army is good tho.

Depending on known opponents, rogue leaders can be set up several ways. Got a couple Theocrats? Get the dirty dozen feat, etc. My usual angle is to build up the spell casting ability and to get two really good spells. Smoke Screen and Mass Battlefield Panic can really rock the battlefield.

I don’t typically bother with range skill increases and I have a tendency to funnel the better weapons and protection gear to the rogue along with any gear that I find that grants extra hps.

It seems rogues are not so great as party leaders, so how do you build your “king” if youre playing the rogue class? Using the main character as fighter seems a bit risky.

Gloweye

It seems rogues are not so great as party leaders, so how do you build your “king” if youre playing the rogue class? Using the main character as fighter seems a bit risky.

Not really – at least he respawns, and a fighting hero is always going to be a risk, and needs special care and high defensive stats. Rogue a slightly less due to Total Awareness, which you can couple with a Tireless + Life Drain from the forge for max effect with your First Strike. Pass Wall, Sprint, Assassin’s Strike and some other stuff neatly fills out a very strong melee hero.

That said, Poison Knowledge is nice because it’s unique in that it affects ranged attacks – try it along with longbowman and you’ll see the added value. Also works good with fairies, while not being bad with any unit not having the damage type yet. Combined with some neat skills like weapon finesse, rogue heroes are still adequate field commanders, though they lack the healing of the more supporting classes. Smoke Screen can really be a huge boost to any offensive siege as well, so don’t forget about the possibility.

NINJEW

guys you’re all wrong i’m sorry

you give your rogue leader stalth commander at level 5 and then fill his stack up with firstborns or cannons or warbreeds or ogres or whatever hilariously big shit you can find.

congrats on the incredibly well hidden band of trolls. go snipe cities with them!

more serious use: fill his stack up with cavalry/fliers and have a highly mobile snipe squad

armor piercing and poison knowledge combine to form the biggest ranged damage stack buff of any hero, so this si also useful

you can also kite him out as a spellcaster for quickdash spam. quickdash is really, really good guys.

Crafting a longbow and a seeker upgrade for a rogue hero or leader is always a good idea. Total awareness makes a rogue a daring shooter, which works well with the armor piercing and blight damage that ninjew talked about. With boots of tireless, you can make a life stealing weapon to have a very survivable leader. Use with high elf horse archers for one of the cheapest power stacks (when a warlord of course).

Garresh likes to put them with stalkers and a ring of invisibility.

Wallthing

more serious use: fill his stack up with cavalry/fliers and have a highly mobile snipe squad

armor piercing and poison knowledge combine to form the biggest ranged damage stack buff of any hero, so this si also useful

A Rogue hero leading a stack of Mounted Archers can be a scary thing.

thabob79

It may slightly vary pet class but usually I get assassin strike, sprint, total awareness, quick dash, and higher level sadism (and 10cp). Passwall and first strike are interesting too.
    For a stack leader I add poison knowledge (main reason to have a rogue lead), stronger than steel. Weapon finesse if usefull. If î wanna be sneaky stealth commander and urban concealment.

I often have 5 point available “in case”, dirty half dozen, sabotage and some skills are usefull on the spot (before battle). I use rogues as swiss knives assassins.

Btw absorb pain make wonder with a rogue, if available.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.