Scumbag Ally

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Scumbag Ally

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Gyor 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

SpookerT

Much to my displeasure, I’ve discovered the following:

Sometimes you discover a friendly town that doesn’t declare war on you and attempt to improve your relations with them by paying them a little gold for open borders or doing a quest for them. As soon as that happens your AI ally will purchase that town because he can see it with your shared alliance vision. So you either need to just conquer the towns you meet right away or leave them completely alone. If you try to be nice the scumbag AI ally will just steal it from you.

smeagolheart

but that’s good. Your ally took it so you don’t have to. The power from the town is now on your team, right?

I mean, you’ll do the same thing if the AI finds a town and doesn’t purchase it, right? And you can always purchase the town/Dwelling from the AI itself if you really wanted the town.

SpookerT

but that’s good. Your ally took it so you don’t have to. The power from the town is now on your team, right?

That’s not really a good thing because the AI ally ends up buying independent towns nowhere near its historic territory, often in the middle of my realm, and taking away long term sources of income and domain from me. If my relationship with that AI player changes I have hostiles to worry about that are already in the heart of my empire.

It just feels like crap to have spent gold or done a quest to get peace with a town only to have the AI take advantage of it and buy it next turn because it saw it on its magic shared vision without ever having been physically near. It actually seems to inherit the peace status with the town from me, so it doesn’t have to do that first step before it is able to buy the town.

TLDR: Allies need to get their own damn relationship with independent towns instead of mooching off mine and ninja buying them as soon as I get peace with a town.

melkathi

Though that could end up with the ally sending an army and conquering independent towns you were trying to make friends with :/
    It’s hard enough to get ally AIs to actually participate in the war effort instead of hunting independents throughout the game.

Have you played that Mirrorworld scenario?
    Talk about frustrating when you are making peace with a town, spend gold and time on it and then your lovely ally goes and conquers the mirror city, causing the city you were about to take over to get razed.
    Fun times…

smeagolheart

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>smeagolheart wrote:</div>

That’s not really a good thing because the AI ally ends up buying independent towns nowhere near its historic territory, often in the middle of my realm, and taking away long term sources of income and domain from me. If my relationship with that AI player changes I have hostiles to worry about that are already in the heart of my empire.

It just feels like crap to have spent gold or done a quest to get peace with a town only to have the AI take advantage of it and buy it next turn because it saw it on its magic shared vision without ever having been physically near. It actually seems to inherit the peace status with the town from me, so it doesn’t have to do that first step before it is able to buy the town.

TLDR: Allies need to get their own damn relationship with independent towns instead of mooching off mine and ninja buying them as soon as I get peace with a town.

Yeah I didn’t see the point in this before but now that I have my own AI ally, this is a problem. I’ve gone underground – first on my team – and notice a city there and oops theres some bad guys I guess I better go back aboveground. so I pass back by the city the next turn and my AI partner had purchased the damn city and left it undefended. So those guys took it back.

Also there was an Elven City near my capitol that wanted 800 gp to come over to my side. I didn’t have 800 gp, but apparently my ally did. So now I have this AI town that my ai partner has never had units anywhere near that I can’t use to consolidate my own power.

Bouh

The solution is do not ally to AI. They are evil.

Agreed!
    If you do not want to share then do not offer an alliance and be content with a nice peace treaty and maybe open borders.

I mean, you’ll do the same thing if the AI finds a town and doesn’t purchase it, right? And you can always purchase the town/Dwelling from the AI itself if you really wanted the town.

Thats the way to do it! I have never played Multiplayer, but I guess this might be quite a useful thing to do in Team games. The one wo can afford it buys it and maybe trade it later. Would not like it to be changed!

Zepheyr

Yea, this in infuriating. It’s similar to when an AI ally crosses the map to build a city right next to your border, so he can nab a handful of resource nodes that in a few turns your own city will have once it grows. Then he never defends the city or upgrades it and your borders grow around it and you forever lose those resources.

smeagolheart

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bouh wrote:</div>

Agreed!<br>
    If you do not want to share then do not offer an alliance and be content with a nice peace treaty and maybe open borders.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chrysophylax páuperem wrote:</div>

Thats the way to do it! I have never played Multiplayer, but I guess this might be quite a useful thing to do in Team games. The one wo can afford it buys it and maybe trade it later. Would not like it to be changed!

that’s great and all but doesn’t solve the whole “when you’re allied it doesn’t work thing”. I’m trying games where I start out allied with a ai teammate against four other AI teammates. That way you don’t have to mess around with poor diplomacy.

Bouh

It’s politic in fact : even with your allies you are fighting to grab the most you can, for whatever reason. Why *your* reasons to grab lands and cities would be better than your allies’ reasons ?

Gyor

Especially Rogue Allies with Age of Deception up ;D

Courtesan Ambassors also makes town stealing worse.

The one good thing about Rogue Allies though is when Network of Scrying eyes is cast it benifits you as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.