Shadow Realm – Brainstorm

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making Shadow Realm – Brainstorm

This topic contains 1,098 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  Refineus 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 1,099 total)
  • Author

Hiliadan

Hey guys! Not yet the time to sleep! 😛 We still have work to do on the class units, reward and defenders for Shadow Realm structures, etc.

Should I look for more people to help with the brainstorm and finalization of the design of stats?

HousePet

But I like sleeping!

I have no thoughts about necro governance options.
    For the Warbreed, can we make it partly Shadow Demon and give it some spirit damage, shock weakness and devour corpse?
    Manticore Rider: I agree with giving it Lifesteal (its weapons need to resemble Executioner swords too) and not Wrapped in Shadows or Inflict Shadow Sickness.
    Evangelist: I’m not sure that Shadow Walking Aura by itself is sufficiently interesting.
    Scoundrel: Give them a Shadow Crossbow instead of a light crossbow? So like Arcane Arrows but single shot and cold instead of shock?
    Succubus sounds fine as suggested.
    Death Bringer: Yes to the Inflict Marked by Shadows and Inflict Shadow sickness replacement. Unsure about cost balance. No to changing the blight to shock.
    Musketeer: I’m unsure about the magical degeneration being on the frost channel, as its commonly resisted by incorporeals. Also not sure on it doing damage over time, for similar reasons, as any chosen channel means that there is something that will just ignore the damage. Could we inflict a resistance penalty instead?

lordoflinks

Due to an error I made in modelling, the Beacon of Light will be made out of crystal fully; using one texture. This look in my opinion actually looks better for me than the one I posted; you can view the model as a clb in game editor. In future I will set my models better.
    Which model would you like me to tackle now? Or would you like me to integrate the Dark Elf dwelling structure model into the game.
    Finally, I am not a very good AoW3 player so I feel I am ill suited to coming up with stats and the like.

Gloweye

Or would you like me to integrate the Dark Elf dwelling structure model into the game.

We already got that one.

Bob5

I’ve made a first concept for the Invoke Darkness PFX. Attached is a screencap of it. It looks better in motion, it’s under PFX_Abilities.rpk in Abilities Cast. It also doesn’t have any sound yet.

Hiliadan

Nice! 🙂 Looking forward to seeing it in motion! So what did you decide to integrate it in the mod with Dr_K?

Regarding strategic buildings, we discussed with lordoflinks and said the priority were the Shadow Gates. We would use the Teleporters’ model (as discussed with Gloweye) and revamp them a bit. I also mentioned the stuff from Shadow Magic. I actually don’t remember how they looked but I guess there was something to link the surface to the SR!
    Also @lordoflinks: didn’t you tell me you had to redo the Forgotten Throne model entirely?

Then the other priorities for strategic structures (see http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Hiliadan/Shadow_Realm_Community_Expansion#Spawn_sites) are in my opinion:
    1/ a spawn site for roaming independents. lordoflinks, please pick your favourite among:
    – Dark Portal
    – Unstable Rift
    – Larva Pool
    – Warband Campfire
    2/ some resource income sites:
    – Crystal Mine
    – Forge of Dreams
    – Spirit Fountain
    – Shadow Node
    – Mithril Mine (for UG actually)
    3/ retexture of existing sites to adapt them to the Shadow Realm:
    – Ancient Ruins
    – Tomb
    4/ for the treasure sites, we already have 1 Mythical (Forgotten Throne) and 1 Epic (Beacon of Light). So we would need 1 Legendary and 1 Strong. Here are the candidates, please pick one of each lordoflinks:
    – Legendary:
    * Tomb of Hive Queen
    * Derelict Shrine
    * Hollow Grove
    – Strong:
    * Silverneedle Glade
    * Astral Garden
    * Void Window
    5/ the heart: Heart of the Shadow
    6/ 1 visit structure to choose among:
    – Celestial Pool
    – Arcane Nexus
    – Glass Furnace

So which ones do you think you can deal with?

For the Warbreed, can we make it partly Shadow Demon and give it some spirit damage, shock weakness and devour corpse?

Well, I was worried it would be too strong and you want to make it even stronger. 😛
    We could make it Shadow Demon but then it needs to lose its +2 resistance. Devour Corpse is very good, and Warbreed already has Regrowth, it would almost unkillable if you don’t 1-turn it. But I think Drax was opposed to having Shadow Demon Warbreed in the line-up.

Ok so for Manticore Rider, I add Life Steal and remove Wrapped in Shadows and Inflict Shadow Sickness.

Still under debate:
    Warbreed (see above)
    Evangelist: do we confirm we replace the split of Spirit damage between Shock and Spirit by Shadow Walking Aura?
    Scoundrel: I’m still concerned that adding Inflict Marked by Shadow to a T1 built as the 1st (second after Crow but that does not really count) unit of the Rogue makes it too accessible, even on Elite (but as Dr_K wrote, Elite is a bad location as they evolve on Elite if the tech is researched). Putting it on Touched actually raise the same issue and is also a bad idea in my opinion.
    – for Succubus, I proposed 2 turns cooldown on Invoke Darkness instead of 1 turn cooldown to compensate for the boost given to them through double damage channels (physical 10 and shock 3). HousePet said it seemed ok. However, it’s bad to have the same ability with 2 versions (1 turn cooldown for Shadow Weaver and 2 turns cooldown for Succubus), so what about “Invoke Lesser Darkness” or something like that for Succubus?
    Death Bringer: Inflict Marked by Shadows, Inflict Exhausting Fatigue replaced by Inflict Shadow Sickness? Or added without replacement and cost increase? And replace Blight by Shock damage. HousePet said “Yes to the Inflict Marked by Shadows and Inflict Shadow sickness replacement. Unsure about cost balance. No to changing the blight to shock.”.
    Musketeers: have Inflict Magical Degeneration, Frost 11 strength check on ranged attacks, gives Magical Degeneration to Elementals, Incorporeals and units of Magical Origin for 3 turns. Magical Degeneration causes 5 Frost damage per turn. HousePet noted that it might not work well as the target units may resist Frost. Well, for 100% Frost Protection unit, I guess there isn’t much we can do. For the rest, maybe we can give a 20% Frost Weakness with the inflict? HousePet also suggested a resistance debuff but I’m against as there are already too many resistance debuff in the game, which can be abused for many things (mind control among others).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  Hiliadan.

Bob5

Nice! Looking forward to seeing it in motion! So what did you decide to integrate it in the mod with Dr_K?

I did indeed discuss it briefly with Dr_K. I’m adding the PFX directly to the mod itself, it’s the easiest to do it like this. It can then just be added to the ability within like a minute and it’s basically functional.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  Bob5. Reason: Removed smiley (which appeared enormous) from quoted message

HousePet

The part Shadow Demon stuff was a replacement for the +2 res. 😛

Draxynnic

We could make it Shadow Demon but then it needs to lose its +2 resistance. Devour Corpse is very good, and Warbreed already has Regrowth, it would almost unkillable if you don’t 1-turn it. But I think Drax was opposed to having Shadow Demon Warbreed in the line-up.

I’m trying to recall what the reason why might have been now. Probably to do with such an entity not being a Shadow Elf, and thus breaking the rule about cities producing members of that race.

We do have the precedent of Shadow Elves using enslaved shadow creatures (well, if we get the Weaver on a chariot, anyway), so it does stand to reason that Shadow Elf Warlords might be able to go one step further and breed something that fulfills the same role as the Warbreed from shadow demon stock rather than shadow elf stock. If we go that route, though, we may want to consider going the whole hog and make it an outright replacement rather than the racial version of the Warbreed, including a suitable appearance on the model.

– Scoundrel: I’m still concerned that adding Inflict Marked by Shadow to a T1 built as the 1st (second after Crow but that does not really count) unit of the Rogue makes it too accessible, even on Elite (but as Dr_K wrote, Elite is a bad location as they evolve on Elite if the tech is researched). Putting it on Touched actually raise the same issue and is also a bad idea in my opinion.

I think the balancing factor is that Exploit Shadows is generally an ability for gold medal units. You want the other side of the equation to be reasonably common so you don’t end up with a gold medal ability that does nothing.

– for Succubus, I proposed 2 turns cooldown on Invoke Darkness instead of 1 turn cooldown to compensate for the boost given to them through double damage channels (physical 10 and shock 3). HousePet said it seemed ok. However, it’s bad to have the same ability with 2 versions (1 turn cooldown for Shadow Weaver and 2 turns cooldown for Succubus), so what about “Invoke Lesser Darkness” or something like that for Succubus?

I’d prefer to change the name rather than just have “Lesser” here, since while it’s being proposed to be used less often, it’s still just as powerful when it does get thrown. Possibly change the name to “Call Forth Darkness” or “Summon Darkness” or something like that.

– Musketeers: have Inflict Magical Degeneration, Frost 11 strength check on ranged attacks, gives Magical Degeneration to Elementals, Incorporeals and units of Magical Origin for 3 turns. Magical Degeneration causes 5 Frost damage per turn. HousePet noted that it might not work well as the target units may resist Frost. Well, for 100% Frost Protection unit, I guess there isn’t much we can do. For the rest, maybe we can give a 20% Frost Weakness with the inflict? HousePet also suggested a resistance debuff but I’m against as there are already too many resistance debuff in the game, which can be abused for many things (mind control among others).

I’m not convinced that Shadow Elf musketeers need anything at all. Dreadnought in general is probably new tech for them, so I’m not sure about making them one of the few races that has buffed musketeers, especially since they already have unique engineers AND a unique war machine.

If we do want to have something along these lines, one possibility could be “Disrupt Magical Form”, which works on the physical channel and applies 20% physical weakness. We could make it something that gets a buff when used against incorporeal targets (possibly making two attempts?) so it can still have a decent chance of getting through the physical protection of such targets.

lordoflinks

The structures I will do are:
    – Warband Campfire: I will just use the campsite and play around with the structures
    – Crystal Mine
    – Forge of Dreams
    – Mithril Mine (for UG actually)
    These 3 seem to be to be simple retextures that I will slightly modify the structure; I swear we had the mithril mine already however…
    – Ancient Ruins
    – Tomb
    I hope I can do these
    4/ for the treasure sites, we already have 1 Mythical (Forgotten Throne) and 1 Epic (Beacon of Light). So we would need 1 Legendary and 1 Strong. Here are the candidates, please pick one of each lordoflinks:
    * Tomb of Hive Queen
    * Derelict Shrine
    * Hollow Grove
    I will need to think about these three
    * Silverneedle Glade
    * Astral Garden
    * Void Window
    I will probably do the Void Window but I will need to think on it.
    5/ the heart: Heart of the Shadow
    – Celestial Pool
    – Arcane Nexus
    – Glass Furnace
    Let me think on these

The Forgotten Throne will be done last.

Hiliadan

If we go that route, though, we may want to consider going the whole hog and make it an outright replacement rather than the racial version of the Warbreed, including a suitable appearance on the model.

I’m not sure what you mean here?

For Scoundrel, I added Inflict Marked by Shadows at Veteran.

I’d prefer to change the name rather than just have “Lesser” here, since while it’s being proposed to be used less often, it’s still just as powerful when it does get thrown. Possibly change the name to “Call Forth Darkness” or “Summon Darkness” or something like that.

Ok for Call Forth Darkness. Maybe it would need further things to distinguish it from Invoke Darkness? Like maybe an effect if Blind fails? For instance -100 morale?

About Musketeers:

If we do want to have something along these lines, one possibility could be “Disrupt Magical Form”, which works on the physical channel and applies 20% physical weakness. We could make it something that gets a buff when used against incorporeal targets (possibly making two attempts?) so it can still have a decent chance of getting through the physical protection of such targets.

And you mean that would apply only to Magical Origin creatures? Because otherwise, it’s too strong to give -20% physical weakness to any kind of units.

By the way, do we confirm machines, elementals, undeads, dragons, angels are not affected by Shadow Sickness?

Starting to brainstorm on the defenders of the existing and new strategic sites….
    First, I think we need to decide which Shadow Demon units to bring back (hoping we’ll find a modder to design them). Here is the list of units from AoW:SM: http://aow2.heavengames.com/aowsm/gameinfo/units/shadowdemons.shtml
    I think the most interesting to bring back would be:
    Larva (evolve into any of the other, with lower % for high tier units)
    Bombard (with some nasty effects on the AoE)
    Brain
    (Harvester maybe but would be too much to have 5 units)
    Lord as a T4 boss of high-level sites

These units would not be playable but only roamers or defenders on sites, though you could control them with the Shadow Elf Shaman.

Now for the defender sets:
    Warband Campfire (spawn Shadow Elves) (I used the values of Brigan Hideout)
    Combat Properties None
    Avg Defender Spawn Strength 125
    Spawn Tier 1 Units True
    Ideal Amount of Units 3
    Defender List
    Shadow Elf and Draconian Assassins
    Lesser Shadow Stalkers
    Shadow Elf and Draconian Scoundrels
    Shadow Elf Touched
    Shadow Elf Night Guard
    Shadow Elf Arcane Archer
    Shadow Elf Infused
    Avg Roamer Spawn Strength 125
    Spawn Tier 1 Units True
    Ideal Amount of Units 3
    Spawn Delay 6
    Spawn Delay Variance 1
    Wait On Spawned Unit Death True
    Range 14 hexes
    Strength Increase Per Spawn 50%
    Roamer List
    Shadow Elf and Draconian Assassins
    Lesser Shadow Stalkers
    Shadow Elf and Draconian Scoundrels
    Rewards
    Sale Gold Cap 100
    Excess Use Mode Gold
    Excess Reward Scale 0.25
    Avg Item Value 75
    Max Number of Items 1

Forgotten Throne (I used the values from Wizard Tower Ruins)
    Defenders: Shadow Demons
    Reward: secret spells, artifacts
    Unlocks: Altar of Elder Eldritch (city can produce Elder Eldritch Horror)

Battle enchantment: we would need a powerful battle enchantment. What about Chaos, a spirit strength 12 abilities that makes the target unit get Confused and converts the units for 2 turns and make it Berserk. Would be good to have a 2nd enchantment that could deal with Undead, Machines, etc. that cannot be affected by Chaos.
    Combat Properties None
    Avg Defender Spawn Strength 900
    Spawn Boss Units 2
    Spawn Tier 1 Units False
    Ideal Amount of Units 6
    ELDRITCH HORROR
    PHANTASM WARRIOR
    OBSIDIAN DRAGON
    OBSIDIAN WYVERN
    Shadow Demon Bombard
    Shadow Demon Brain
    Shadow Demon Lord
    Sale Gold Cap 500
    Excess Use Mode Gold
    Excess Reward Scale .20
    Max Number of Skills 1
    Avg Item Value 540
    Max Number of Items 1

Would be good to have more units defending the Forgotten Throne but it feels weird to have Shadow Elf or other race units with Shadow Demon so not sure? We could at least add Lesser Shadow Stalkers and Shadow Stalkers.
    We should probably also have at least 2 sets of defenders for the Throne, maybe one without Demons.

Draxynnic

I’m not sure what you mean here?

Basically, make the model reflect that it’s a shadow creature with no Shadow Elf blood, rather than the simple hulking giant model of Warbreeds. Plus it’s own flavour text, but that’d probably be my job. (Speaking of which, for the record, I have the archon stuff nearly done – just need to decide who I’m going to attribute the entries to and make any adjustments that the attributions might suggest).

For Scoundrel, I added Inflict Marked by Shadows at Veteran.

A decent enough compromise. At some stage we’ll get to the point of seeing how they work in play, and can adjust accordingly.

Ok for Call Forth Darkness. Maybe it would need further things to distinguish it from Invoke Darkness? Like maybe an effect if Blind fails? For instance -100 morale?

Hrrrmn. Invoke Darkness does apply a small amount of damage – we could also adjust or even remove the damage. I’m hesitant about a morale penalty on failure, as I generally don’t like effects where you’re HOPING for a fail – however, if the effect applies -100 morale regardless of success or failure, that could work.

And you mean that would apply only to Magical Origin creatures? Because otherwise, it’s too strong to give -20% physical weakness to any kind of units.

Same list of targets as for the Magical Degeneration proposal – elementals, incorporeals, and Magical Origin creatures.

By the way, do we confirm machines, elementals, undeads, dragons, angels are not affected by Shadow Sickness?

I’m happy with that.

Starting to brainstorm on the defenders of the existing and new strategic sites….
    First, I think we need to decide which Shadow Demon units to bring back (hoping we’ll find a modder to design them). Here is the list of units from AoW:SM: http://aow2.heavengames.com/aowsm/gameinfo/units/shadowdemons.shtml
    I think the most interesting to bring back would be:
    Larva (evolve into any of the other, with lower % for high tier units)
    Bombard (with some nasty effects on the AoE)
    Brain
    (Harvester maybe but would be too much to have 5 units)
    Lord as a T4 boss of high-level sites

Given my preference, I’d probably take Harvesters over Brains for several reasons:

1) It explains where the new larvae are coming from.
    2) Brains are linked to the Hive Mind, which may indicate too high a level of organisation for what are intended to be effectively feral Shadow Demons.
    3) Going larva-bombard-brain-lord means that unless we substantially change the functions of the units, there isn’t a real melee unit until the tier 4 lord. (Brains didn’t have a ranged attack, but they were pretty much support units nonetheless.)

On the other hand, a Brain might be easier to model, and the salient feature of the Harvester (creating larvae) might be harder to program in.

If we were to stick to four units, in fact, I might even not bother about the Lord and go larva-spawn-bombard-harvester, so that they have a lower-tier melee unit. It would be fitting to have the odd Lord hiding out in high-level sites.

Would be good to have more units defending the Forgotten Throne but it feels weird to have Shadow Elf or other race units with Shadow Demon so not sure? We could at least add Lesser Shadow Stalkers and Shadow Stalkers.

Hrrmn. Shadow Stalkers could be fitting. If we do have Brains, too, we could give the Brains a convert effect, which would explain the Shadow Demons having their enemies as slaves.

I’ll think on this one some more.

The suggested battle enchantment does sound like it could be a major pain to deal with. Which may be exactly the intention – this thing isn’t supposed to be easy to crack. As currently presented, however, it might well turn it into an ‘only enter with units with Strong Will’ proposition.

Hiliadan

we could give the Brains a convert effect, which would explain the Shadow Demons having their enemies as slaves.

I like that idea of Shadow Demons having their enemies as slaves. We could have the non-Shadow Demon units on these sites have a “Slave” attribute or something similar, which may give them some malus.

As currently presented, however, it might well turn it into an ‘only enter with units with Strong Will’ proposition.

Yes, that’s the issue, and that’s also why I’d like to have a 2nd battle enchantment that can affect units with 100% Spirit resistance (or equivalent, like Undeads). And indeed, the Forgotten Throne would be the most difficult site of AoW3.

Bob5

Hey guys, I was looking to make particle effects for the Shrine of Storms’s Divine Vengeance, which if I’m looking at it correctly deals lightning and frost damage. The original Divine Vengeance (from the Shrine of Smiting which deals lightning and fire damage) has a pretty complex animation with a lot of elements. I’m not sure what you guys imagine the Shrine of Storm’s Divine Vengeance would look like, and if you already had any ideas for the visuals.

Hiliadan

Does it mean you finished the Invoke Darkness animation? 🙂 I’d be eager to see it as a .gif or something.

Dr_K had already done a draft just to showcase what we could do: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-brainstorm/page/19/#post-250712 and the preview here http://imgur.com/a/HSQcy
    We also said: “Reskinned to a stormcloud grey colour” as you can see on that page: http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Hiliadan/Shadow_Elf_Theocrat_units

Guys, I’d like to organize a live chat event with as many people from the team as possible, to create some excitement about the expansion and motivate us all. It would be coupled with other events related to AoW3 such as PvP tactical battles on the Arena map, release of PvE training videos against high level sites, many reminders of existing videos, guides, etc. and a live video of the current state of the expansion (I would probably stream live). I plan to use the Battlefield’s chat to host the live chat event. Would you be interested to join it? That would probably be a Saturday around 16:00 GMT for 2-3 hours (+ more for those who want to stay).

Dr_K

Draxynnic wrote:
    we could give the Brains a convert effect, which would explain the Shadow Demons having their enemies as slaves.
    I like that idea of Shadow Demons having their enemies as slaves. We could have the non-Shadow Demon units on these sites have a “Slave” attribute or something similar, which may give them some malus.

Draxynnic wrote:
    As currently presented, however, it might well turn it into an ‘only enter with units with Strong Will’ proposition.
    Yes, that’s the issue, and that’s also why I’d like to have a 2nd battle enchantment that can affect units with 100% Spirit resistance (or equivalent, like Undeads). And indeed, the Forgotten Throne would be the most difficult site of AoW3.

I don’t think it would be out of place to have a separate set that is comprised of magical beings, mostly powerful summons (angels, eldrithes, etc.). Alternatively, we could also have another set that is a shadow elf/dark elf contingent still keeping watch depending on what the Forgotten Throne is meant to be exactly.

Dr_K had already done a draft just to showcase what we could do: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/shadow-realm-brainstorm/page/19/#post-250712 and the preview here http://imgur.com/a/HSQcy%5B/quote%5D

That preview wasn’t Divine Vengeance animation. It was the idle animation for the shrine. The original Shrine of Smiting has a pulsing white ring below it, which was just replaced with a more fitting pulsing effect. Feel free to make that look better if you have any other ideas.

As for what to do for divine vengeance PFX without actually looking at it’s current implementation, I was originally thinking to keep the similar animation but tweak the colors and icons. Switch the beams of light on the ground to lightning bolts and have the other effects have a frosty blue palette of colors.

lordoflinks

The Warband Campfire is done; it is now in the folder.
    If it turns out too be too big, just scale down the model.

Draxynnic

Could give them Spirit Weakness, to indicate that they’re easier to turn against the Shadow Demons. Or just give them a morale penalty.

Guys, I’d like to organize a live chat event with as many people from the team as possible, to create some excitement about the expansion and motivate us all. It would be coupled with other events related to AoW3 such as PvP tactical battles on the Arena map, release of PvE training videos against high level sites, many reminders of existing videos, guides, etc. and a live video of the current state of the expansion (I would probably stream live). I plan to use the Battlefield’s chat to host the live chat event. Would you be interested to join it? That would probably be a Saturday around 16:00 GMT for 2-3 hours (+ more for those who want to stay).

Unfortunately, I think that translates to about 2am here. The problem with living in Australia.

I don’t think it would be out of place to have a separate set that is comprised of magical beings, mostly powerful summons (angels, eldrithes, etc.). Alternatively, we could also have another set that is a shadow elf/dark elf contingent still keeping watch depending on what the Forgotten Throne is meant to be exactly.

Agreed. To me, ‘Forgotten Throne’ does not scream Shadow Demons specifically, but a site of power that could attract multiple things to it. If the site allows summoning of Elder Eldritches, in fact, then Eldritch Horrors, and possibly even Elder Eldritches, would be quite logical possibilities for the contingent.

We could also have Shadow Demons (attracted to a site of magical power), various angels and other powerful magical creatures who have taken to guarding the location, and so on. Cthonic Guardians might be particularly fitting.

Anyway, some archon lore quotes for your collective considerations:

Archon Archer

Our most experienced archers enter into a meditative state when battle is joined, each movement combined with a prayer to bless their arrow to strike down the unclean. It is said that this ritual was passed down to the most devout of human archers by the Archons before they left this world. Regardless of its origin, its effectiveness against the walking dead could not be denied. — ‘Battlefield Rituals’, by Sir Arnus Randorf

Archon Footsoldier

Some of the soldiers had scoffed at their archaic equipment, but the ridicule ceased after the first battle we fought side by side. With shields locked, the archon legions bore the enemy’s charge. As one, their blades struck home, reaping a heavy toll from the ranks of their attackers. While their techniques might seem old-fashioned against the Commonwealth’s means of waging war, their method of fighting was one that had been perfected in a time before the elves first touched the soil of Athla. — ‘The Pure Ones’, by Werner Gruen, Battlefield Chronicler

Archon Paladin

As one, the candidates opened the gates to their respective stalls. With an exclamation of surprise, one of the candidates drew his hand back, narrowly avoiding a nasty bite. Another fell back into the courtyard, the stallion’s hoofmarks visible in the metal of his breastplate. My host explained that only those candidates that could train these wild stallions into obedient mounts, and who could demonstrate that they had mastered the animal within as well as without, would be worthy of earning the title of Paladin. — ‘Shadow Diplomacy’, by Lady Flora Sweets

Archon Saint
    She was a beacon of calm among the chaos of the battlefield. So suffused with the power of life was she, that her touch brought life to the dead and death to the unliving. This must have been one of the beings the Archons call Saints, and as I watched the tide of the battle turn in her wake, I began to understand why. — ‘The Pure Ones’, by Werner Gruen, Battlefield Chronicler
    (Note: Should we give them Bestow Iron Heart or some other heal? At present we have no healing at all in the archon lineup unless lead by a Theocrat (unless you count Lesser Resurrection itself), and it seems out of character for archons to have no regular healing at all)

Archon Avenger

Through the darkest forest, I will hunt them. Over the tallest mountain, I shall pursue them. Neither the deepest cavern nor the foulest swamp will shield them. With sword and ankh, I bring justice to the wicked. I am the Avenger, and the guilty shall not escape my wrath. — The Avenger’s Oath

Archon Titan

Our escort entered a defensive stance at the all-too-familiar silhouette of a hulking form bearing a mace with a head the size of a strong man’s chest. When the creature stepped into the light, however, it revealed a gleaming breastplate where we expected tarnished bronze, and alabaster muscles in the place of withered skin and bone. This was no undead abomination, but a living Titan in the flesh. — ‘Beyond the Shadow Gate’, by Ham the Wanderer

Hiliadan

I opened a Doodle for the live chat event, please fill it to say when you would be available: http://doodle.com/poll/ibanatgmtq33pncs Also please let me know if you’d like to add some time windows. I’m in China, GMT+7.

Nice descriptions for the Archons! 🙂 @dr_k: could you please add them to the Wiki page you did? Also, please don’t forget the balance to them, it’s not up to date on the Wiki (and not sure on the mod).
    I don’t have an opinion regarding Healing/Bestow Iron Heart.

@lordoflinks: great for the Wardband Campfire! 🙂 Would you have a screenshot? 🙂
    What’s your next target? 😛

Hiliadan

Also @dr_k and @gloweye: how advanced will we be in 2 weeks? I’ll use what we have for the live streaming. Would be really really great if we had a working Shadow Realm layer.
    I’m also planning the live streaming of the PvP battles in parallel, with maybe a commentator. It would be interesting to include some units from the expansion (Shadow Elves, Dark Elves, Archons) to showcase stuff, but the Shadow Elves don’t have icons yet, and the Umbral Weaver’s model is buggy. Dark Elves’ models are also buggy… So only the Archons could work I guess?

Please fill the Doodle all! 😛 http://doodle.com/poll/ibanatgmtq33pncs

Gloweye

Layer works, if you’re not to attached to the shadow void terrain type.

Dr_K

What’s particularly buggy about the umbral weaver? I had some ideas of playing around the animation set for that since it initially looked a little wonky.

@Drax I really like the descriptions. One question, is the ‘Shadow Diplomacy’ a work that exists already? If not, what’s it about? Seemed like an odd name for a book that contained a description of the paladin training. I like it, but just curious about that one.

Draxynnic

‘Shadow Diplomacy’ is also referenced in one of the Shadow Elf descriptions, while Lady Flora Sweets has quotes in the descriptions in the original game (except those are in a book called “Diplomatic Mishaps” instead, mostly related to trying to restore contact with the Frostlings).

The idea is that ‘Shadow Diplomacy’ is a record of how the Commonwealth established diplomatic contact with the races of the Shadow World – which, for the time being, include both the Shadow Elves and the Archons. For that particular entry, what I visualise is that the diplomatic representative was invited to witness a ritual in the paladin training, where the paladins-to-be are first introduced to their untrained mounts.

Hiliadan

Layer works, if you’re not to attached to the shadow void terrain type.

How do I use it? It’s the Shadow Realm RMG.taf in the Dropbox? If it’s activated the Shadow Realm layer is there and otherwise it’s not?

What’s particularly buggy about the umbral weaver?

Well, the flag of the unit moves but the model of the units doesn’t. I think that’s because it’s supposed to be a mounted unit and it doesn’t have mount so it somehow bugs the animation.
    Do you know how to modify 3D models and their animations? Would you be able to debug the Dark Elf models to make them work?

lordoflinks and Bob filled the Doodle, @dr_k, @gloweye, @draxynnic: please also fill it to find a date that works for as many people as possible: http://doodle.com/poll/ibanatgmtq33pncs You can select your timezone in the right, to get the time in your local timezone.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Hiliadan.

Gloweye

I’ll put a version in there in a few hours. The RMG will work, but you wont spawn much void, if any.

When deactivating the mod, press “Defaults” when generating a new map, otherwise the game will crash. Select a shadow realm game flow type.

If you want to generate a custom map, you can just activate Decodence Map Editor Content and you’ll have access, dont need the RMG mod for that.

Gloweye

Well, the flag of the unit moves but the model of the units doesn’t. I think that’s because it’s supposed to be a mounted unit and it doesn’t have mount so it somehow bugs the animation.

I’ve seen this issue before. I’ve also seen it crash the game.

Make sure you got a proper animation resolver selected – the rider unit should be humanoid, and the mount can be a humanoid if there’s a rider, otherwise make it a mount.

lordoflinks

Behold the Warband Campfire and the Shadow Gate:

View post on imgur.com

Both are now ready to be coded into the game; their clbs are in the models folder

EDIT:
    What is the lore behind the seals introduced in Golden Realms? If they are sealed shadow gates I may what to base the shadow gate of the seal.
    So, can someone explain to me what the seals are.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  lordoflinks.

HousePet

The Seals are basically something to keep the whole world and adjacent shadow realm, under the effect of Shadow Lock, so that no travel may be made between them.

lordoflinks

So they are just locks. In that case the model will remain as it is.
    Thanks Housepet!

Hiliadan

Thanks lordoflinks! Both looking pretty nice!
    What is written in the Shadow Gate?
    And for the Warband Campfire, I’d suggest to reduce the number of skulls on top of it and/or make them not that relatively clean white but more dirty, and also maybe to reduce the number of encloves to 2 or 1 and / or break the symmetry, because it feels a little bit weird for troops to split themselves in 4 groups like this.

Were you able to add them in game on the map editor? Would be nice to also see some screenshots of your creations in game. 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 1,099 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.