Simple idea to Incentivize underground exploration

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Simple idea to Incentivize underground exploration

This topic contains 26 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  spockimpossible 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Proteome

One idea is a variation on those underground walls that units with tunneling can dig through (giving you 3 gold)
    These different walls could contain veins of gold, which give you much more (like finding treasure chest for each hex of wall).

Not sure if it is better to graphically represent the gold veined walls or keep them as a surprise.

Same idea could be done with Manna crystals embedded in the dirt walls.

In this way a player coming across an underground entrance can decide if he wants to expand down there or treat it like a mine and send down units with tunneling to see if there’s any resources.

JPoll

I really like that idea! +1

kitapawel

+1 Excellent idea.

This already gave me some other ideas: very rare underground events – a specific hex within the whole map could contain one of the following events, or all events could be available, but each one would have to be found by “digging” a specific, signle wall hex. Theoretical examples:

– Holy grail: a very rare and powerful artifact is found underground. A player who finds it may create an artifact of his own choosing, using the crafting interface, for free. Possible with more affixes than normal items are permitted.
    – Unearthed evil: a long forgotten evil entity was buried long ago at the given location. The entity is very powerful (let’s say at least 2x more powerful than t4) and all players receive a quest to defeat it for a good reward. An evil player may decide to unleash it – he will control the unit but receive some global penalties.
    – Invasion from below: some monsters find a way to the surface. Controlled by AI they move accross the map to cause as much damage to random targets as possible.

And there’s so much more that could be done with this.

1337shinobi

Snap! I love both those ideas. I think it would be a good idea to graphically represent adjacent gold vein hexes so your diggers can follow a long vein and mine it out.

Also it would be fun to find rare hexes with something rare and precious like a really big gem(s).

I love the idea of ancient evil being unearthed. Its a great fantasy trope.

Both great ideas.

Ericridge

+9001 upvotes for both ideas from me.

I also want a new twist on unearthed evil.

If you uncover old ones, it summons hordes of doom and declares war on everyone.

And it could be used by a player in MP if he’s going to go down and lose the game…. he might as well attempt to bring everyone to the grave with him.

Khelle

If you uncover old ones, it summons hordes of doom and declares war on everyone.

It is too similar to upcoming cosmic events, so I am againt this.

Other than that – great idea with veins!

Ravenholme

It is too similar to upcoming cosmic events, so I am againt this.

Other than that – great idea with veins!

Could simply have it BE a Cosmic Event, albeit with a different trigger.

Oh, I really like this idea, btw.

I also wondered if some kind of Chasm tiles shouldn’t be added, which can be bridged like rivers and otherwise crossed only by flyers. Would add a bit more terrain diversity down there.

Gloweye

+1

jb

I really like this idea. Gold veins and Mana veins both would be nice.

ShortBear

“They dug too deeply… and too greedily”

Sounds awesome.

haloloki

you could even add it as an Empire quest to find the holy grail =)
    Awesome idea +1

Kaiosama TLJ

Maybe a good idea to those veins is to divide them in two types:

– One is the ones that OP suggested that will net some instant Gold/Mana when dug.
    – Other could be ones that instead of giving you resources they will reveal Gold Mines or a Mana Node. These Mines/Nodes would be already been considered explored and have no guards, but since you dug them out you will receive income when locating in your domain.

TheSpeaker

+1 Definitely sounds good.

Teehon

+1. I simply LOVE the idea

About the hidden horrors – the devs can simply teach the RMG to create closed pockets in the UG which contain several Camps and nice amount of resources laying around. Left undisturbed for a long time it would make the opening of such a pocket quite a nasty surprise for the player. (Imagine a 5×5 pocket with three Boneyards, left undisturbed for 50 turns 🙂

Ah, and it would be cool to have new bandit camps only for UG, with Minotaurs and such creatures spawning 🙂

Gloweye

Imagine a 5×5 pocket with three Boneyards, left undisturbed for 50 turns

That’d still only be their first roaming stack…still, heaven to break through that with a Theocrat Hero with a couple of Exalted in tow…

Low_K

Both ideas sound excellent, and get a +1 from me.

The Holy Grail idea (or the “digging” mechanic) reminds me of the HoMM series with the puzzle map. Worked great back then. Great stuff.

Kind regards,

Low

Holy Grail idea could even be a victory condition, for those who don’t want to fight…

Ravenholme

Holy Grail idea could even be a victory condition, for those who don’t want to fight…

Might be a bit random as a victory condition though. Not something you can really take steps against to prevent it in an opponent or anything.

Ericridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:</div>

Might be a bit random as a victory condition though. Not something you can really take steps against to prevent it in an opponent or anything.

Can make it so that if you have the holy grail and you will be wanting to build a altar so that you can prostrate yourself before it and if others don’t want that happening, they will need to take the grail from you by force and never build the altar so the fighting can go on.

Ravenholme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ravenholme wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:</div><br>

Can make it so that if you have the holy grail and you will be wanting to build a altar so that you can prostrate yourself before it and if others don’t want that happening, they will need to take the grail from you by force and never build the altar so the fighting can go on.

Exactly like the Holy Grail structure in HoMM3, then? 😛

Ericridge

Exactly like the Holy Grail structure in HoMM3, then? :P

No idea, I’ve never played HOMM series.

stellarrat

These are great ideas. I really like the idea of mining for gold with a chance of unleashing some level 5 monster (like a Balrog!) That would be awesome.

Sifer2

Yeah that’s one of the things that would be neat to see in the game is Tier 5 super monsters. Optional of course as some people might not like them randomly wrecking you. But getting like epic loot for killing them would be fun.

Mythabril

Too much incentive may make digging every single piece of dirt out mandatory. It is almost this way right now with the gold gain for every hex dug out.

I think the incentive should be more in the map generation, with dirt tunnels leading to isolated caverns and treasure/pick up items. Also generated dwellings could be detached from normal tunnels by sitting aside river/lava tunnels. This would be more circumstantial incentive.

This is not to say I am against a greater diversity of digging payouts. It only needs careful balancing, making it more a calculated risk than mandatory farming.

There are too many impassible walls and rivers. Give it an eerie glow with underworldly lights would improve it. Open the UG up so it is easier to cross. The UG is too much like a maze where you follow the paths of the impassible walls and rivers. Add some ice for brightness. Blue crystal lighting. Add some more original terrain that you can’t find on the surface. It is okay, but it could use some terrain modification.

They also could make passages to the surface that are faster than the surface. so if you haven’t explored it another player can suprise attack you. Make it so one or two players max can occupy it in multiplayer. This is a separate idea.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.