Some cosmic events are infuriating early game and need to go.

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Some cosmic events are infuriating early game and need to go.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Stormwind 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

mormengil

Namely, the one that shrinks the vision of all units to one hex, and the shooting stars one.

Early on, scouting is crucial. In fact without good scouting early on you are gimped. The vision impairment event (or is it more than one?) Makes scouting impossible, and leaves the question of heading in the right directions up to dumb luck. It doesn’t really do anything for the game, instead it makes it infuriating and slows everyone down until it goes away. Except the lucky few who happen to stumble in the correct directions. Late game it does offer a good opportunity to sneak up on stuff, so it shouldn’t be removed, just not possible to trigger first 15-20 turns or so, number up for debate.

And shooting stars.. uuugh. Luck is the single worst mechanic in the game hands down for me. Completely screws up all calculations. And NEVER triggers to save your important unit at that one crucial time. Screw luck. Just remove this event from the game 😛 It is especially infuriating when it causes you to lose battles early on, that you would have won otherwise. Which can cripple your development, since early on your production is on a very tight schedule.

Smaug3

Um, I actually like those Cosmic events. And that’s the point of them. You’re supposed to adapt your strategy according to what Cosmic Events are going on, as they change the way the game plays out. Thick fog really spins things up, what with scouting and all, and it affects everyone, and for that I find it really fun. As for Luck: seriously? Luck is such a fun thing. I don’t play halflings myself, but I find the mechanic to be really fun and enjoyable, even when fighting it.

Jolly Joker

Just play without them, if you don’t like them. “Events” is supposed to include a luck component, and I happen to find the one resticting vision range especially great. 4 turns isn’t that much, and making a fuss of it means taking “competition” way too serious.

bam65

Halfling luck fun? When it fires off for your own units yes, not when you fight against it.

Wallthing

I don’t have a problem with any of the events. Most of them offer a nice change of pace when they pop up.

NINJEW

I love all the random events, except for Dark Sun, which is just really annoying for both players. It isn’t a balance issue or anything, they both get affected equally, it’s just really frustrating to try to play with and as soon as it comes up both sides stop enjoying themselves until it’s over. I’d like to see it removed, myself.

johnmr531

I believe u can toggle them off on generating the map.

NINJEW

Can you toggle off Dark Sun, specifically, or just all or nothing on the cosmic events?

Fenraellis

Eh, I’ve mentioned several times that Dark Sun should have at least half effectiveness on units with Night Vision, because it’s somewhat imitating the low vision conditions of Night anyway.
    Except that it’s apparently even stronger than simply the vision levels of Underground(-1 Vision), and thus since it’s even less light apparently, have Night Vision work at half(+1 Vision) effectiveness.

I’m definitely not going to go into the whole “Low-Light Vision” versus “Darkvision” debate for different races, though.

I can’t say I really like the cosmic events, myself. I prefer less randomness to focus on pure strategy. But I appreciate that they can mix things up for those who like that sort of thing.

It would be nice to be able to toggle off specific ones. The monster spawning ones always get my goat since when I play against the computer, the computer never keeps their own empire tidy and I have to deal with all of them.

Although, really, the same can be said of monster lairs, bandit hideouts, et al.

That said, the only one that strikes me as not working according to its own concept is the Crimson Star happening.

So that one gives all units belonging to an evil player Strong Will and a resistance bonus. Strong Will makes you immune to spirit damage, so that’s just peachy for your Necromancer who has good reason to play evil and has an army that’s weak against spirit, yeah?

Well, not so much, actually. Their best unit, the Dread Reaper, does quite a bit of its damage in spirit, as do some of their others like the banshee, lost soul; even the reanimator does some spirit.

So the crimson star that’s supposed to be the sign of the rise of evil (and was the harbinger of the undead back in the first game, incidentally) actually ends up protecting all the lesser evils of the land against the big evil’s heavy hitters. And if you happen to be up against say, an evil frostling rogue with all their lovely resistance to poison and ice (first Eternal Lords scenario), that’s 3 turns of the undead being as harmless as kittens.

Better hope you can filibuster with your bone collectors.

More generally, though, Strong Will is a weird bonus to give. I think the intent was to make evil players immune to mind control/panic/etc for a few turns which is a good idea. But that spirit immunity is a weird wrench to throw in with it. Theocrats and necromancers are both heavily screwed during the event, while others like the warlord and archdruid would just benefit.

I can’t think of any other event that hits specific classes quite as hard. Maybe Falling Clouds since that messes with machines and armored units, which is just terrible for the dreadnought.

Yeah, alright, that one’s probably worse from a balance perspective.

NINJEW

Pretty sure general Necro play is supposed to be heavy emphasis on superbuffed racial units, which class units acting as more of a supporting role, so it still seems like Necro should benefit a lot from that.

Necro seemed to me like it had the least emphasis on race, what with you ghouling whoever you come across and having them play pretty much the same from there. But there’s probably something I’m missing, so I’ll treat you as the expert.

All I can really say, I guess, is that the Crimson Star screwed my play style with the class.

Necro stuff aside, my point is that two of the happenings can hit specific classes pretty badly. If you play an archdruid for instance, nothing really affects the specific units you field, but if you play a theocrat or a dreadnought, you could end up in a lot of trouble for a few rounds.

Gloweye

Pretty sure general Necro play is supposed to be heavy emphasis on superbuffed racial units, which class units acting as more of a supporting role, so it still seems like Necro should benefit a lot from that.

Necro has two armies – one is the produced army, which is your “strong” army. Low in numbers, but high in strength. This is the Higher class units, like Collector/Deathbringer/Reaper, which hit hard and punch above their weight class when used well.

On the other hand, you have what I call the “Army of Random Ghouls”. These get generated by your Deathbringer stacks and Age of Death, and serve to soften up the enemies to strong for your premium armies. Can sometimes include a Reanimator, but I sometimes suicide them into enemy ranks in bigger battles.

Sometimes, a stack of random ghouls has such a composition that it actually survives and gets medals, after which it can start serving as main army.

On-topic: I personally like the Events – they give a set of circumstances that you’d best keep track off. While I can completely understand people wanting to turn them off, it’s nice to have to adept your plans – and sometimes they are advantageous as well.

NINJEW

What I’ve always heard about Necro play was that the biggest advantage Necro has is being able to produce racials with +7 hp, 20% fire resist, +1 medal, 300 happiness, lifestealing, devout slayer, support slayer, and +2/2 damage. I convinced a buddy to play as Tigran Necromancer in a live MP tourney match as a joke (he was guaranteed to move on to the next bracket regardless), because I looked at the unit list and saw that Tigrans got basically nothing.

Apparently he won by spamming SuperProwlers, which evidently was very effective.

The only other successful live MP Necro strat I’ve ever seen was Undead Shadowborn Goblin Butcher Spam, another racial production centric strategy.

Hunter

Eh, I’ve mentioned several times that Dark Sun should have at least half effectiveness on units with Night Vision, because it’s somewhat imitating the low vision conditions of Night anyway.

Good point I think.

kwibus

People get infuriated very quickly I guess.

When I was 16 these kind of things could infuriate me maybe.

People get infuriated very quickly I guess.
    When I was 16 these kind of things could infuriate me maybe.

If you cant beat it hate it and if possible nerf it, a common tactic employed by cowards and weaklings al over the world Lord Kwibus

apopov

Events are great and should only be expanded with more variety.

Non-random strategy is boring and if one wants that than chess is always an option.

As every application of the skill in real life will show, dealing with random elements, planning for misfortune and contingencies and learning how to adapt to unforeseen developments is what elevates games like AOW to being fun, rather than an easily solvable math problem.

quo

I share your hatred of Dark Sun. I wouldn’t say its over or underpowered, just extremely irritating.

Socratatus

I love cosmic events. Adds that unpredicatable side to things that may work for or against you. The best Generals are those that can handle unexpected events, not try to whine them away.

Stormwind

I like them too, and since you can turn them off I fail to see why they should be an issue.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.