Something is wrong with base building..

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Something is wrong with base building..

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  HarbingerLeo 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Infiltrator

I do not like it how base building isn’t “what should I build?”. It’s more like “in what order should I build.. everything?”

Base building is just a matter of putting one thing before or after the other. There’s literally no incentive nor limitation to build every structure in every city, this needs to be looked at in my opinion.

Furthermore. Buldings are very boring. Of course you’ll want to up your growth and production at first in order to slingshot your economy from the start. I like how the ruins can now unlock additional upgrades, it’s a step in the right direction, but more needs to be done in order to make the building towns actually an act worth considering instead of just building everything everywhere.

Ericridge

Its quite easy enough to build everything against the AI but is difficult when you’re playing against humans and is forced to specialize cities.

Garresh

Indeed. In ideal conditions you could build everything, but this is not a game of ideal conditions. The real strategy comes into play with city placement. Cities are functionally identical, but terrain features can cause huge changes, and lends itself nicely to racial synergies and choices.

jb

There’s literally no incentive nor limitation to build every structure in every city

Why would you ever do this? Sounds like a huge waste of gold to me.

Build the buildings you need, then pump out units.

I try to dedicate each city to producing specific types of units. A support unit city, an archer city, a machine city, a melee unit city, a research city, a class unit city, etc. 4-7 buildings is all you need to turn a city into a functioning factory.

If you are making every building in every city your games are going to take much longer. Make units, not buildings.

thabob79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Infiltrator wrote:</div>
    There’s literally no incentive nor limitation to build every structure in every city

I try to dedicate each city to producing specific types of units. A support unit city, an archer city, a machine city, a melee unit city, a research city, a class unit city, etc. 4-7 buildings is all you need to turn a city into a functioning factory.

If you are making every building in every city your games are going to take much longer. Make units, not buildings.

Exactly how i see this.

And when cities become too far from the front to be useful and your defense is acceptable, you turn em into mana/research/gold factory or you build everything you need for the grand palace.

Usually i aim to build the best unit i can in one turn, upgrading my buildings if necessary.

stellarrat

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Infiltrator wrote:</div>

I try to dedicate each city to producing specific types of units.Make units, not buildings.

It’s a waste of gold and time. I used to do this in Shadow Magic because the AI wasn’t as good as AOW III. I’m finding now that you really can’t get away with this at anything higher than Knight Level in AOW III. It simply take too much time and gold. By the time you have your “mega” cities built the AI is simply too strong in units and territory.

HarbingerLeo

What’s already been said.

There is a limit on building everything in a city, but it’s a soft limit. There’s no point in spending 1,000+ gold 500+ mana on building all the barracks and it’s subordinates or a tier III class building in every city. They’re purely unit production and there isn’t enough gold income in the game to have every city building units around the clock.

They’re also already intensive to specialize specific cities to build only specific units in golden age with the unit type specific map upgrades.

My two cents? Please don’t ask for hard limits on things you probably should not be doing anyway. :\

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.