Stiffen limbs – Too strong?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Stiffen limbs – Too strong?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Bouh 7 years ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

kwibus

Isn’t this spell just too strong for a starter spell?

The spell itself isn’t incredibly strong, but the fact that it doesn’t have a resistance check makes it too strong to start with imo.
    Stiffen limbs on the strong enemy unit and kite it too death. It’s just too easy. Atleast give it a chance too fail.

Or make it a spell for mid tier.

Meeky

Slayer’s Doubt is a comparable spell and arguably a better spell. It has the same effect + a heavy morale bonus, but comes with a saving throw. If it fails, the enemy is still considerably slowed.

If Slayer’s Doubt can be a starter spell, so can Stiffen Limbs.

ZHN_AK

It is a good spell. I don’t think it is too good though, as I find that the necromancers need the help early on.

zeelilus

I don’t think it’s OP or anything. I just find it odd that it has zero resistance checks or chances to fail or anything.

Althea

Slayer’s Doubt is a comparable spell and arguably a better spell. It has the same effect + a heavy morale bonus, but comes with a saving throw. If it fails, the enemy is still considerably slowed.
    If Slayer’s Doubt can be a starter spell, so can Stiffen Limbs.

The fact that stiffen limb always hit means that it will slow down multiple foes quicker than slayer doubt.

That’s what makes it OP. That plus if stiffen limb always hit, it’s perfect as a combo with slayer doubt.

You can say that it doesn’t affect undead and machine, but so does slayer doubt.

I’d take stiffen limb any day over slayer doubt.

It should have a fail/success check. Or if it has no fail/success check, remove the movement speed reduction, or at best it should only reduce 10 or 8 MP (or maybe even just -6 MP), not -12 MP.

Another change is maybe the effect stays the same, but make the CP cost 15.

Eomolch

Alternatively the effect could only last 2-3 turns instead of until end of combat. Even then it would be still very good.

cosa65

I like the lasting 3 turns idea

Thirded. For seven mana, slowing a tough unit down for 3 turns is still a great bargain.

Yeah, the necromancer has a hard early game, so the spell becomes essential for them. Maybe you could make it 8 mama, so necros couldn’t do it twice for other classes?

Teehon

Yeah, as a necro I found it basically foolproof when using deathbringers – cast stiffen limbs, barrage the unit with Reanimators – 100% Ghoul Curse.
    In big battles, casting stiffen limbs on a slow unit like Firstborn basically takes him out of the battle. For 7 MP it IS too strong.

ariga

Slayer Doubt -18 mouvement reduction but -800 moral(HUGE debuff) so it can fail
    Stiffen limb only -12 & no moral debuff so it can fail it’s totally fair whatever u think also both can be removed by brake control

thabob79

It’s pretty similar to soin of oïl of fire adept. Both can’t be resisted, cost 7 cp, stiffen limb cause -2 phy strenght, -2 def -12 MP for the battle. Skin of oïl cause -2 phy strenght, -2 def, -2 res and 60% fire weakness. Seem pretty similar to me.

ariga

Don’t say that they will want to nerf skin of oil now…

kwibus

I think the movement penalty is very efficient and the most important one.

So maybe it’s comparable to skin of oil, but I’m pretty confident stiffen limbs is being used a LOT more. Simply because it is better.

CSav10

Definately skin of oil is OP, next patch 50CP 1% fire weakness only, requires 3AP ;).

zeelilus

You can’t get skin of oil on a random hero that I’m aware of. I understand that a necro player needs it for the early game, but the problem is other classes just spamming necro heroes for the cheap and always effective spell.

You can’t get skin of oil on a random hero that I’m aware of. I understand that a necro player needs it for the early game, but the problem is other classes just spamming necro heroes for the cheap and always effective spell.

Such as Stiffen Limbs, Dark Gift and….?

zeelilus

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zeelilus wrote:</div>

Such as Stiffen Limbs, Dark Gift and….?

Forgive me, but I’m not quite sure I understand what you’re asking.

Jyrgunkarrd

Undead heroes do not have a large number of useful, spammable spells. They have roughly 2.

They aren’t a very good deal (unless you’re playing a Necromancer).

Stiffen Limbs seems alright to me, given the context that it’s most abusable during a game state where the Necromancer has incredibly bad units, limited stack health regeneration, terrible resists, etc. It’s a good spell – why shouldn’t classes have access to good spells?

Like, yeah, I can disable a Firstborn. And which class can’t? On the other hand, Stiffen Limbs doesn’t work on most high tier targets (unlike, say, Entangle) and falls off in usefulness as a result (besides, I’m spending most of my casting points casting and re-casting Undying Army in the mid-late game).

People seem to have this idea that no spell should ever be good. It should all be mediocre or terrible crap that you’d never actually want to use.

llfoso

Stiffen Limbs: -12mp, -2 def, -2 melee, no resist, 7 cp
    Slayer’s Doubt: -16mp, -800 morale, 18 spirit resist check, 8 cp
    Slow: Halved mp (typically between -14 and -18 mp), no retaliations/attacks of opportunity, no resist check, 10 cp

I don’t know how to compare all of these. Slow should obviously be the strongest since it’s a mastery tier IV spell. How does -2 def and -2 melee compare to -800 morale? I don’t know the math very well on fumbles.

Yeah, as a necro I found it basically foolproof when using deathbringers – cast stiffen limbs, barrage the unit with Reanimators – 100% Ghoul Curse.

IMO despair is a really strong debuff and shouldn’t be stackable. That’s the issue there.

You said:

the problem is other classes just spamming necro heroes for the cheap and always effective spell.

And I want to know what these spells are.
    We have Stiffen Limbs which is cheap and effective during the early game mostly.
    And we have Dark Gift which isn’t cheap but quite effective.

And that’s kinda it in special contributions a Necromancers spellbook provides to other classes. for the most part.
    So the problem you state kinda doesn’t exist. And I was asking you for a proof to your claims.

I don’t know how to compare all of these. Slow should obviously be the strongest since it’s a mastery tier IV spell. How does -2 def and -2 melee compare to -800 morale? I don’t know the math very well on fumbles.

http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Units#Morale

It varies by base morale of the target. Highest morale (600 and above) gives 25% chance to crit and deal max. damage with a third extra damage, whereas lowest morale (-600 and below) gives 40% chance to fumble and deal min. damage with a third less damage. As the damage span is +/- 20% of the calculated medium, this adds up.
    Minus 800 morale from neutral is enough to change morale to worst and roughly a loss of 20% damage, though unevenly distributed.
    If the target morale is highest at +600 that changes an average uneven 13% extra damage into an average uneven 8% penalty, so the same 20% loss.

So it equals minus 20% damage on average. The exception are edge cases where the unit already has bad morale or significant above 600 morale and the damage loss through morale is lessened.

IMO despair is a really strong debuff and shouldn’t be stackable. That’s the issue there.

It is only strong because it stacks, and because the Necro deals a lot with the spirit channel. 2-3 applications of despair (-200 morale, 20% spirit weakness for 3 turns) have less power as a single application of weakened (-1 Def, -1 res,- 200 morale and 60% blight weakness for 5 turns; blight doctors can apply it even to immune units) and so far I have seen nobody complaining about that.

llfoso

I would be ok with it if it had a limit on how many times it could stack.

Blight weakness can’t do anything as immensely powerful as spirit weakness anyway. 100% ghoul curse chance, 100% inflict panic chance, 100% invoke death chance, 100% convert/charm/seduce chance from dwelling units or ghouled bards/succubi/evangelists or theocrat/rogue heroes, not to mention spells like berserk from other heroes.

These things shouldn’t be possible.

Khelle

Sorry for offtoping a little but is there information anywhere in the game which skills can fail and which not? I don’t recall seeing this information, and frankly, taking how much important things like this are hidden from the player before he tries something X times, the gameplay is really confusing sometimes…

zeelilus

You said:

the problem is other classes just spamming necro heroes for the cheap and always effective spell.

And I want to know what these spells are.<br>
    We have Stiffen Limbs which is cheap and effective during the early game mostly.<br>
    And we have Dark Gift which isn’t cheap but quite effective.

And that’s kinda it in special contributions a Necromancers spellbook provides to other classes. for the most part.<br>
    So the problem you state kinda doesn’t exist. And I was asking you for a proof to your claims.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>llfoso wrote:</div>

http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Units#Morale

It varies by base morale of the target. Highest morale (600 and above) gives 25% chance to crit and deal max. damage with a third extra damage, whereas lowest morale (-600 and below) gives 40% chance to fumble and deal min. damage with a third less damage. As the damage span is +/- 20% of the calculated medium, this adds up.<br>
    Minus 800 morale from neutral is enough to change morale to worst and roughly a loss of 20% damage, though unevenly distributed.<br>
    If the target morale is highest at +600 that changes an average uneven 13% extra damage into an average uneven 8% penalty, so the same 20% loss.

So it equals minus 20% damage on average. The exception are edge cases where the unit already has bad morale or significant above 600 morale and the damage loss through morale is lessened.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>llfoso wrote:</div>

It is only strong because it stacks, and because the Necro deals a lot with the spirit channel. 2-3 applications of despair (-200 morale, 20% spirit weakness for 3 turns) have less power as a single application of weakened (-1 Def, -1 res,- 200 morale and 60% blight weakness for 5 turns; blight doctors can apply it even to immune units) and so far I have seen nobody complaining about that.

I never said necro has multiple OP spells? This thread was talking about stiffen limbs in particular I thought?

I just don’t know of any other spells that don’t require SOME measure of effort to get that don’t have a check. Skin of oil was mentioned but you have to commit to those spheres for that.

Compared to any other hero you can get stiffen limbs is the most powerful debuff for how easy it is to obtain. It’d be like if warlord’s beserk had no check, it’s pretty much a starting skill for any hero you’d get.

I actually haven’t had necro heroes yet, so I don’t know how good it is. It’s just on paper when you compare stiffen limbs to things like beserk or rogue’s cause panic it seems meh that it has a 100% success rate.

It allows for near infinite kiting of an enemy from what I have seen. That seems at least as strong as several spells that DO have to check.

Meeky

Sorry for offtoping a little but is there information anywhere in the game which skills can fail and which not?

When you’re preparing to cast a spell, it will list a %chance of success based on the target’s Resistance stat + the target’s weaknesses and protections vs. elements (since some spells are keyed to certain elements, such as Smite to Spirit). Those are spells with a %chance of failure. If they fail, they either A) reduce the enemy’s movement speed for one combat round or B) in the case of damage spells they deal reduced damage.

A couple spells and abilities – Weaken, Skin of Oil and Stiffen Limbs are good examples – do NOT have a chance of failure. They simply work, period.

Bouh

More and more spells have no fail check. The game is being dumbed down for “balance” sake.

Ps : also, power creep.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.