Suggestion: Merge Team Option for AI Opponents

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Suggestion: Merge Team Option for AI Opponents

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sharknoise 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Knasterbax

Hey,

I played a lot 🙂 and I normally play Random Map – Scenarios and my most used settings are playing vs three AI Empire Opponents who I combine as a Team. That way it can still be a bit challenging even in single player.

I would prefer to play vs one powerful AI opponent though, like in the Scenario “Taming of the Great Khan”. I guess an easy way to programm that for random maps would be to introduce a “Merge Team” Option, meaning the opponent starts with several starting positions but only has one throne and one leader. The amount of starting positions depend on the chosen number of merged Team members of course.

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by  Knasterbax.
    • This topic was modified 6 years ago by  Knasterbax.

kwibus

Good idea.

Or any other way to set a map up. Like give player 2 a City and strong army to start with, while you start with a settler and weak army. etc.

sharknoise

Simply adding one more level of difficulty would make me happy. Emperor gets +100% income, but it’s still too easy, way easier than in previous AoW games and similar titles. On random maps it doesn’t build enough army advantage and stays passive for the whole game, never declaring a war. Playing against a team of AI helps a bit, but they don’t coordinate their attacks well. After you’ve defeated one of them, it’s too easy again. If only Triumph had made a Cheatgod AI difficulty with something like 300% income boost… It doesn’t even require much programming.

The game itself is great, but I had to stop playing it. Without challenge there’s no fun. I had hopes someone would mod the amount of resources AI gets, but alas… I’ve also tried multiplayer. The problem is the lack of time forces people to set combat with independents on auto which makes the game too random.

Gloweye

That’s pretty easy to mod….

sharknoise

That’s pretty easy to mod….

Oh, thanks! I must admit I only checked the existing mods and then assumed the AI difficulty bonus can’t be changed. Having launched the editor myself, I now see how many values are moddable. Can’t figure out which rpk file has the income modifier, but if it’s there, I’ll find it.
    I believe giving AI more gold should work similar to what thread starter proposes, the end result in both cases would be larger AI armies.

Leon Feargus

I would prefer to play vs one powerful AI opponent though, like in the Scenario “Taming of the Great Khan”. I guess an easy way to programm that for random maps would be to introduce a “Merge Team” Option, meaning the opponent starts with several starting positions but only has one throne and one leader. The amount of starting positions depend on the chosen number of merged Team members of course.

I like this idea!
    It is now on my mod wishlist.
    Note that there are quite some things on that list that may be very impossible to do.
    Maybe it is possible to force AI’s to surrender to one another, that way a settlement, hero and extra units are added to the lucky AI’s army.

Hiliadan

The game itself is great, but I had to stop playing it. Without challenge there’s no fun. I had hopes someone would mod the amount of resources AI gets, but alas… I’ve also tried multiplayer. The problem is the lack of time forces people to set combat with independents on auto which makes the game too random.

Did you try PBEM too? No manual between humans (a big loss) but manual against Independent. I was not convinced by the “no manual against humans” at the beginning but actually I find PBEM to be already very good and much more challenging than solo play.

sharknoise

Did you try PBEM too? No manual between humans (a big loss) but manual against Independent. I was not convinced by the “no manual against humans” at the beginning but actually I find PBEM to be already very good and much more challenging than solo play.

I suppose it’s better than solo, but the prospect of losing the crucial battle of comparable armies in auto mode discouraged me from trying. Maybe I’ll do it, because the modding didn’t go so well yesterday. I’ve checked the contents of all rpk files, but found only defense/resistance bonus AI gets when fighting independents and AI’s city cap, nothing about its gold/mana/happiness boost. Now I’m not sure if Gloweye’s “easy to mod” comment referred to my idea or to what Knasterbax had suggested.

Gloweye

The income bonuses.

You tried title.rpk and diplomacy.rpk ?

sharknoise

You tried title.rpk and diplomacy.rpk ?

Yes. Title.rpk has def-res bonus and city cap, which is different for Lord and Emperor. It also has default gold and mana income, but nothing about modified AI income.
    Diplomacy.rpk has some modifiers, but they seem to be tied to diplomatic choices and alignment, even the percentage isn’t the one I’m looking for.
    I went through all rpks except for the ones describing specific race units or terrain. It’s either not there, or hidden very well.

Gloweye

AI Happiness bonus are placed in Diplomacy.rpk/Settings/Diplomacy Happiness Modifiers/96, 97, 98.

They are linked to teh players in Diplomacy.rpk/Settings/Diplomacy Settings/0 (AoW Diplomact settings, the long list). I thought the incomes was also in there, but it turns out im wrong. Gonna look against tonight when im home.

Knasterbax

good discussion, I made a report about this in the “Balance Gameplay Suggestion Thread”, to let Triumph know about it:

Gameplay Suggestion: Compiled Topics Index.

Hopefully the introduce something in their next (and probably last) patch.

sharknoise

AI Happiness bonus are placed in Diplomacy.rpk/Settings/Diplomacy Happiness Modifiers/96, 97, 98.

They are linked to teh players in Diplomacy.rpk/Settings/Diplomacy Settings/0 (AoW Diplomact settings, the long list).

Interesting, that means I’ve missed it looking through Diplomacy.rpk. Perhaps the income bonus is in the bottom of an even less obvious place, but I’m afraid checking everything again and more carefully would require a special mood.

Gloweye

Its gotta be buried better, otherwise i’d have found it.

Didn’t found it again either.

sharknoise

I’ve tried buffing the def-res bonus instead of gold, looks like it does the job too. As I see through Whispers of the Fallen, AI no longer loses units to independents. As a result, AI’s armies are larger and more experienced. One by one all Emperors have declared war to me 😀 Just what I wanted.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by  sharknoise.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.