[Suggestion] New Outfits/Costumes for Old Classes

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions [Suggestion] New Outfits/Costumes for Old Classes

This topic contains 34 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Charlatan 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Ravenholme

The latest dev journal shows that the new Necromancer outfits are incredibly diverse, each being vastly different from the last one and themed around a different style.

By contrast, the outfits for the existing classes all tend to be variations on a similar theme, and in many cases (the slight exceptions being the Theocrat [to a degree], the rogue and the sorcerer) simply come down to a choice of different cloaks, pauldrons and arm coverings.

I would like to suggest therefore that either as part of an upcoming expansion or as a standalone DLC (I’d be willing to pay £3 – £4 for this, as I am WELL aware that creating 3D Assets is not a simple process) that at least one other, drastically different outfit choice be added for each class, and would like to venture some suggestions, mostly to stimulate the imaginations of Triumph staff.

Theocrat – Armoured, Crusader like armour, possibly with a Holy Book hanging from their waist and prayer scrolls or the like hanging from their armour. (Why, yes, I am a Warhammer/Warhammer 40K fan, why do you ask?)

Archdruid – A more ranger-like outfit, trousers, embossed leather armour with naturalistic looking adornments and some kind of fur cloak.

Warlord – Armour that looks more like knightly plate armour, for a less barbaric looking Warlord, but nod to their barbaric class units with a fur cloak fastened with bear claws or something.

Dreadnought – Something not too dissimilar to the Halfling Nightwatch’s outfit or a British Redcoat style uniform would be cool, a less armoured, slightly more ‘modern’ outfit. With trousers for the Ladies, please, the choice is always nice. (I’d also like to see a Trouser variant of one of the current outfits for the Ladies, too, those skirts can’t be practical on horseback)

Sorcerer – A Hedgewizard or Alchemist style outfit, for the modern mage. Trousers under a short robe, boots, bandolier of potions and arcane accoutrements. Something like that.

Rogue – A bodice and knee-length skirt with long boots for female Rogues, so they have the opposite choice to make to most of the current female outfit choices, and some kind of Garret-like thief leathers for males. (Halfling Nightwatch style hat as a customisation option for every race optional, but desired – Plumed, wide-brimmed leather hats, please)

AwesomeLion

Would be cool to have some racial outfits as well

still__alive

I would love to have more options to customize your leaders. I think the best thing Triumph could do though is allow people/modders to make their own items for the leaders.

Ravenholme

Would be cool to have some racial outfits as well

That I’m not really so bothered about – it would be cool, but it would be even more effort than just creating a few new options for everyone. But the Necromancer choices really show up those of the existing classes, which are barely different from one another, whilst the Necro ones are all styled very differently from each other, so at least one other option for the other classes that gives a genuinely different look would be awesome.

Ravenholme

I would love to have more options to customize your leaders. I think the best thing Triumph could do though is allow people/modders to make their own items for the leaders.

Absolutely, but I have a sneaking suspicion that will probably not be feasible, as there are usually licensing issues involved in heavy modding for many engines (if officially supported, I mean).

I’d love to be wrong, though!

Socratatus

Need sexy outfits for the female leaders too. They`re a bit tame.

Ravenholme

I don’t really care about sexy, though I guess my Rogue suggestion for females does trend in that direction, and in fact I’d rather have practical (Give me some dang trouser choices for female Dreadnoughts!), but the Necro has really shown up how limited the other classes are for choices and I really hope Triumph do go back and address this.

Steam punk style armor for the dreadnought would be nice. I was surprised we didn’t get any armor like that initially.

Socratatus

Steam punk style armor for the dreadnought would be nice. I was surprised we didn’t get any armor like that initially.

Good point! Steampunk costumes are definitely needed, especially for those who do the machines class as Steampunk design comes in an age of the beginning of machines (18th century fantasy styles). I’ve recently gotten into Steampunk and, being the artist type, have learned to draw many different types of Steampunk attire- there’s a lot!

Devs, do some Steampunk!!

TheSpeaker

I think at least one new outfit for each would be nice. I know Halflings have a new armor for warlords but nobody else can use it. Male Sorcerers have 4 clothing options which is more than most. I know there was a mild dicussion about a shirtless bezerker/barbarian outfit for warlords. I want a Theocrat outfit that has is affected much more by player colour as opposed to just the cloak and some lines. I guess the same could be said for Archdruids. Something less tropical as a main clothing option would be nice.

Before all that happend I’d be happy to have new empire colors and coat of arms images though.

Sordak

id actually like a *more* barbaric Warlord. The chainmail warlord already looks knightly.

Considering how frothing at the mouth everyone (including me i suppose) gets over those new cosmetic things i think its realy time for them to consider making a cosmetic mini DLC.

Cause this shit prints money.

Ravenholme

id actually like a *more* barbaric Warlord. The chainmail warlord already looks knightly.

Considering how frothing at the mouth everyone (including me i suppose) gets over those new cosmetic things i think its realy time for them to consider making a cosmetic mini DLC.

Cause this shit prints money.

Agreed, and I think most of us are also aware that making this stuff costs a lot of money, so I would happily pay for it.

And the Raging Lion on the Armour doesn’t look too knightly, but if they gave everyone the Halfling Unique Warlord armour (The plain plate) that would satisfy it, and then I would be very happy to see a Viking like mix of Leather and Chain.

Althea

I support this idea.

If possible armor/robes with special effect, like glowing runes/glyphs in it will be awesome, more awesome if it’s for mage archetype class ( sorcerers/theocrat/archdruid/necro), i just like mage archetype that wear such mystical clothes complete with glowing runes/glyph in his/her clothes.

If there is also a dragon mount, then my wish is complete, this will be my dream fantasy 4x game ever. Ok dragon mount is perhaps too much, but it would be super awesome if there is a dragon rider as neutral only unique hero that can join after you do some quest, oh it seems i can only dream about this (at least maybe until mod support is released).

Gloweye

Dragons don’t want puny humans/whatevers on their necks..

Really, do you put food on your neck and carry it around?

Draxynnic

Ah, but you may not be looking at it with the right attidude. Is the dragon a mount for the rider, or is the rider an additional weapon for the dragon?

Ravenholme

Ah, but you may not be looking at it with the right attidude. Is the dragon a mount for the rider, or is the rider an additional weapon for the dragon?

Force multiplier and travel snack, all in one

Gloweye

Dragons don’t need help from puny little creatures.

Socratatus

And the Raging Lion on the Armour doesn’t look too knightly,

Really? I always thought the Lion motif was hugely knightly. I used it for a character of mine artwork all the time. Also the Lion was used heavily in England in the Middle Ages for Knights and even Kings (on flags, shields, armour)- Especially the 3 lions.

It`s pretty Knightly.

Althea

Indeed it is. In fantasy, lion is also mostly used as one of the knightly symbol, at least it’s a symbol of nobility and honor, as does dragons are often the symbol of power.

Sometimes lions are replaced by eagles or in fantasy case by phoenix.

[off topic start]
    Regarding the dragon rider, i still want it. Lorewise, dragon mount kinda put dragons more beastly than the majestic being they are in AoW universe, so a dragon rider special hero whose dragon can’t be used by any other hero can still fit into the lore. You can always look it like this: the rider is an abandoned child (preferably draconian), whose destiny is to restore the age of dragons, the dragons have always waiting for this prophesied child, the child can even be made to posses the soul of a dragon (yeah i know it’s skyrim like but i don’t care) to make this child get acknowledged by the dragons as one of their kin, in a sense this child is like Reskar (the draconian leader in elven campaign). Or this child can be made as reskar’s son. Class can be archdruid, because they seems to be the only class closest to nature and therefore closest to dragons (whose in the dawn of time shape the world).

This hero can be made as a secret hero, which is only obtainable by quest. Maybe a part of cosmic event or some event. This can be a good addition for more role play element. Although the story i want for this hero seems to warrant his own campaign.
    [off topic end]

Draxynnic

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Draxynnic wrote:</div>

Dragons don’t need help from puny little creatures.

If fighting other puny little creatures, true. If I was a dragon preparing to fight another dragon or something similarly powerful, though, then a good archer, swordsman, lancer, or mage may be just the edge that means it’s the other big guy that goes down first.

Jaduggar

(I’d be willing to pay £3 – £4 for this, as I am WELL aware that creating 3D Assets is not a simple process)

I wish to second this sentiment, in case any devs have read this. I am more than willing to throw in up to ten dollars for a purely cosmetic DLC for this game. And I am no “Mr Moneybags”, I am the very definition of broke… that is way more than I would offer to pay for a cosmetic DLC for any other game.

There was a thread on this topic… I believe it was called “this game needs more T/A”. It turned into a massive argument about sexism in video games and was eventually shut down by the devs who called it an “embarrassment” and an “eyesore”.

For what its worth, im glad that Triumph didnt go the cheap route and overtly sexualize female characters. Theyre warriors, not strippers. I prefer that they mostly wear the same things the men do.

Really, do you put food on your neck and carry it around?

Yes. I dont understand why you object to this. Right now I am wearing a string of little broccolis that I have hung between spinach leaves as a warning to any uppity vegetables I may meet.

It goes goes rather nicely with the pizza sauce I have in my hair, and armpits.

Jaduggar

Anyways, in regards to the original post, I believe that my signature sums up exactly how I feel about leader customization.

Gloweye

Yes. I dont understand why you object to this. Right now I am wearing a string of little broccolis that I have hung between spinach leaves as a warning to any uppity vegetables I may meet.

It goes goes rather nicely with the pizza sauce I have in my hair, and armpits.

Do you mind posting a picture 😀 ?

TBH, the real reason I woulnd’t like dragon riders is that dragon mounts could never be up to par with normal dragons…seriously, have a mount adding +40 HP (Otherwise dragon with rider will be weaker than without), a breath attack(a dragon without rider can..), and high melee damage(something like +4 Phys +4 Element, at the very least), might be a tad bit unbalanced.

They’d be OP if done right, yet it’d be weird to have a dragon+rider be weaker than a dragon without one.

Althea

That’s the point of dragon rider, they are designed to be the most OP thing possible if dragons is the 2nd OP thing after it.

I should say before that dragon mount is only for leader. Because beings lesser than that is unfit to be considered as one of their kin (therefore are unfit to sit on their back).

I’d imagine dragon mount would add around 40 or 50 HP, complete with the immunity and breath attack the dragon type has.

Short words, if Tier 4 are T4, heroes are T5 (dev said it themselves), leaders are T6 (i think dev also said it), this dragon rider is T7.

Although thinking about it again, i do like better alternative than that, because if i rethink about it again, somehow this will make dragon more beastial compared to how it is portrayed in AoW verse.

So i come up with another OP idea, that is also OP but still put dragon the way they are portrayed in AoW verse.

The idea is to create an item called rod/scepter of dragonlord. Anyone who hold that item may summon a dragon (probably depending on the leader alignment), or this item let a dragon join his/her army every X turns (they pop out of nowhere sort of the empire quest that give units).

I think this is probably doable with the current map editor but i’m not sure, although i’ll definitely try to explore the map editor and try to make such a scripted maps which will include this kind of item after the new DLC is out, yet for now i suspect modding tools is required to accomplish this.

Jaduggar

Make it a once per battle ability, which summons a dragon into a Random hex in the fight, which disappears at the end of battle. That has enough drawbacks, as is, that it would balance for the OP-ness… while still being a very powerful mythical item.

And dragon mounts… I dont think they should be mounts.

Socratatus

For what its worth, im glad that Triumph didnt go the cheap route and overtly sexualize female characters. Theyre warriors, not strippers. I prefer that they mostly wear the same things the men do.

I don’t agree, but I respect your point.

Now I may seem strange as I am quite independent in my views, meaning that I don’t let feminism control my views. I remember I did a job for someone and they didn’t like how I did a female character`s lips cos he didn’t want them ‘sexualised’. I find this kind of thing hypocritical and pandering to whining feminism.
    Males and females are sexual. Females more so because of their biology which is not easy to hide unless you cover them in a black sack.

Men get sexualised too, ie, they are expected to have heroically big broad chests and bronzed muscled figures (ie Conan, who even runs around topless in snow) which most normal men will never have- it is not an exclusively female thing, but you don’t see the men whining. Oh and 300 is nothing but topless warrior men running about- are they not sexualised? No, so I don`t give in to that ‘must not sexual women’ twaddle.

So, no I do not agree. I`d like females to have the option of more sexy attire.

But that’s just me.

Gloweye

For a game like this, neither should be. Most of the time, the detail isn’t that great. The only possible Broad-chester running around could be the Berserker, but the Succubus should be looking like a very sexualized woman as well.

Jaduggar

Things and Stuff.

I am not against overt sexuality… I think it is ass-backwards that in this country (America for me, I dont know if thats yours as well) you can make a video game where your character can tear his opponents head off and drink his blood (Mortal Kombat), and everyone will be Ok with it, but if you make a game where the protagonist can have a gay relationship with an alien (Mass Effect) then its a big damned deal and everyone gets upset about it.

People definitely need to get over their issues with sex in the media. My complaint here is about unnecessary sex stuck into a game, when it doesnt need to be there, just because itll give some of its players half of a boner. These women are warriors… they should look like warriors. They should wear armor that covers enough of their body to appear useful.

Maybe if a rogue female had a “courtesan” themed outfit… that would make sense, but if they started sexualizing all of the classes and races just to add some arbitrary sexiness to the game, that would be, in my opinion, detrimental to the experience. If I wanna see a Tigran in a thong, I can go to Deviant Art.

Draxynnic

Men get sexualised too, ie, they are expected to have heroically big broad chests and bronzed muscled figures (ie Conan, who even runs around topless in snow) which most normal men will never have- it is not an exclusively female thing, but you don’t see the men whining. Oh and 300 is nothing but topless warrior men running about- are they not sexualised? No, so I don`t give in to that ‘must not sexual women’ twaddle.

I’m just going to leave this here…

Gloweye

ou can make a video game where your character can tear his opponents head off and drink his blood (Mortal Kombat), and everyone will be Ok with it,

Actually, they weren’t…Mortal Kombat has had quite a few critiques regarding the violence. Still, the rest of your point stands.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.