Suggestion: The AI should only surrender after losing a battle or city

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Suggestion: The AI should only surrender after losing a battle or city

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Azktor Warsgen 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

ephafn

I just had a very anticlimactic surrender by an AI. I was fighting her for a little while and I finally had the upper hand. As I was bringing my army to her last city (which she move her throne too after I conquered her original city), I saw the leader trying to take back another city I just took. So I went back and send her to the void again.

Anyway, that was just the background, here is for what I found annoying:
    After bringing back my troops to her throne (+ a few extra), I was expecting a climatic 4 stacks against 3 stacks city assault. Except she just surrendered instead. Which was very anticlimactic. (I was a fool and I accepted.)

My suggestion is the following: the AI should only check whether it should surrender after losing a fight or a city. (Maybe there should be also be a minimum in how many troop / economy was lost in a turn too.) That way, it would be much more likely that the surrender happens just after a big battle, which is much more satisfying that after moving a bunch of troops in preparation for a battle.

In my case, I could have understood if the surrender offer happened just after I defeated her single stack, for example.

esvath

Apparently, AI surrender when it calculated that it can not win.

Last night, I lighted a Beacon and completed the second one. I have four stacks outside AI territory (not outside its city, but outside its border), and all of sudden, the AI surrendered. I did not even siege its city, it had three or four cities, each guarded with three to four full stacks, etc.

So yeah, I think the AI is too easily surrendering.

Epaminondas

AI surrenders way way too soon; it’s frankly ridiculous, and it’s been a long-standing problem.

bagas12

I had a similar situation, last enemy AI, frostling dread, i am tigran dread, she has last throne city very well guarded, lots of frost tanks and juggers and herself, i bring all my might against her, siege her down lost lots of stacks and just cant beat her, frost tanks + glacial toten too stronk man….
    Anyway, so i start to amass troops on her doorsteps and wait the right moment to stike or i would just loss again, surprise, she sails out and fight two champions stacks of mine and win, but with heavy losses, at this moment i was reaching with my leader and more + stacks, my economy was so good those lost don’t matter, but them whem i reach her with my leader stack and some random ass troops, she surrenders, i was, NO, i will not accept i will beat your ass and take your city you killed lots of my man, they will be avenged, so while i was tempted to accept and end the game i stick to my stategy and started to amass stacks again, 4 turns latter, all her machines are gone, i was ohhhhhhhhhhh she dont have money anymore, dissapointed that my final siege would not gonna happen anymore i understood the AI, how can he win a fight with time itself? I dindt need to fight her ridiculous numbers, she had lost the moment she had one city agains 20 + of mine, so i recomend to you guys that are blamming the AI of being sissys, give them some slacky they know whem they lost, it just dont need to be a massive bloody battle, wars dont end always on the battlefield

Socratatus

I don’t agree the AI should only surrender if it has lost a battle or city.
    If an enemy starts a war, then after a while, realises he’s started a war he can’t win, he should be able to surrender or ‘sue for peace’ before he gets dragged into a war he cannot win. How many times do you refuse peace with an AI that kills your troops or takes your city? I’m much harder to make peace with once I’ve lost a city or troops.

The AI shouldn’t do it too often, but it should do it sometimes, especially if it’s the kind to see ‘ahead’ more.

Epaminondas

I don’t agree the AI should only surrender if it has lost a battle or city.<br>
    If an enemy starts a war, then after a while, realises he’s started a war he can’t win, he should be able to surrender or ‘sue for peace’ before he gets dragged into a war he cannot win. How many times do you refuse peace with an AI that kills your troops or takes your city? I’m much harder to make peace with once I’ve lost a city or troops.

The AI shouldn’t do it too often, but it should do it sometimes, especially if it’s the kind to see ‘ahead’ more.

There is a huge difference between surrendering and asking for a cease fire. No one would have a problem if AI asks for a cease fire a bit too quickly; the problem is with surrender, because it wipes out a faction.

SaintTodd

There are two game breaking ai issues, as I see it: premature surrender and the apparent inability of the ai kingdoms to clear treasure sites within their borders. These two issues should be a priority for Triumph.

luvfatfish

There are two game breaking ai issues, as I see it: premature surrender and the apparent inability of the ai kingdoms to clear treasure sites within their borders. These two issues should be a priority for Triumph.

Amen to both of those.

Epaminondas

Amen.

esvath

Another curious AI behavior:

One AI is at peace with me for a long time. All of sudden, she gave me ~800 gold saying that she admired me or something. I guess this is some kind of tribute?

But she did not gain anything from me by giving that. I think she should ask to be allied with me, thus ensuring her survival (and victory). This will make an interesting dynamics for a peaceful player.

SaintTodd

Another curious AI behavior:

One AI is at peace with me for a long time. All of sudden, she gave me ~800 gold saying that she admired me or something. I guess this is some kind of tribute?

But she did not gain anything from me by giving that. I think she should ask to be allied with me, thus ensuring her survival (and victory). This will make an interesting dynamics for a peaceful player.

Yes, this is particularly strange since you can use that money to build a unity beacon, at which point they will declare war.

I already post to the other similar post, but I will place my support here as well! AI is surrending way too easily. I would not mind it on Squire/Knight dificulty, it is meant to be easy, but on king and emperor is a bit disapointing and anti-climax the way and frequency it happens now. Friday I was playing a Emperor game and the AI surrendered after attacking me and losing 3 stacks…that was like “WTF?” I couldn’t even really attack her, I have been harassing ever since I had Dwarf Monster hunters, taking cities not well guarded and units out of place, just to keep the AI on its place, but nothing major. I had not had the chance to really siege. So, that was really sad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.