"Suggestions not worth their own thread" thread

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions "Suggestions not worth their own thread" thread

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 88 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Draxynnic 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Red Key

Sometimes I think of an idea for the game but don’t feel like I should start a new thread for it. I’m starting this thread as a place for all to post these small suggestions and ideas that don’t really need their own thread. That way we can avoid some thread clutter.

I would like to suggest “hidden nationality” units. Those who have played Civ4 and used the privateer should know what I am talking about. Hidden nationality units do not have a revealed owner. Since the owner is unknown, the player who does own them can even attack allies with them. Of course the allies can also attack the unit since they do not know who owns it. Hidden nationality units cannot capture cities because that would reveal who the owner is. Hidden nationality units could also be given abilities to reveal their nationality or hide it again on the main map.

Another suggestion: uncontrollable units. These could be units that are so powerful or strong-willed that they do not obey your commands. They are on your side and will not attack your units, but you cannot tell them where to move or what abilities to use (on both the main and tactical map). Instead they are controlled by AI and will go where they want – usually wherever there are things to kill or destroy.

The above suggestion also opens up the possibility of a curse or status effect that causes units to become uncontrollable. It could last a limited number of turns or be dispell-able.

Fyrdraca

I like the idea of a “minor suggestion” thread. I do have a small suggestion regarding the dwarves: in past iterations of Age of Wonders, their cities look odd to me, with their pink, cheerful roofs. When I think “dwarves,” I think “good but dark.” Like vikings, minus the looting and pillaging. When I look at a dwarven settlement, I want to think “medieval Scandinavian,” not “lollipop guild.”

Red Key

Thought of something that bothered me in past games. When we auto-resolve combat it would be nice if there were an option to cast no spells in the combat. Sometimes I want to save my mana or casting points for other things but the auto-resolve uses them up in the combat. 🙁

Brother JO

Thought of something that bothered me in past games. When we auto-resolve combat it would be nice if there were an option to cast no spells in the combat. Sometimes I want to save my mana or casting points for other things but the auto-resolve uses them up in the combat. :(

Actually that Eador has that option to not use spells or sacrifices in battle, so I don’t see any reason why it can’t be done the same with AoW3. That would improve multiplayer a lot.

11balanced

4 recent screenshots in the gallery don’t open. Suggestion: to make them valid ))

mrXD89

For 11balanced :

11balanced

mrXD89 thank you ) but in the gallery they still don’t open for some reason…

NEHZ

In my case, the thumbnails are there but those can’t be clicked to be enlarged. Using firefox. Not really an issue for me since I’ve seen them on the forum.

Brother JO

mrXD89 thank you ) but in the gallery they still don’t open for some reason…

I have the same problem. Using Chrome I can’t open the pictures shown above in the gallery.I also cannot open Elven unit design from artwork tab.But I don’t have problem opening other images though.

Piko LV

I have got exactly the same problem, using Mozilla. It’s propably something with this site.

Dominion

My suggestion, How about Unique voiced unit quotes and dialogue (like most RTS’s have nowadays). I am not suggesting you sink resources into voicing every unit, but i would imagine the units could be voiced by class or race (or both!) with the heroes and leaders having unique quotes.

My second suggestion would be more (and hopefully improved) CGI cut-scenes for important campaign events during the story, like maybe during the branching storylines and in engine cut-scenes to advance the narrative (something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwzizT354hI )

Would be cool if we could both build and destroy bridges on the world map.

heroes and leaders having unique quotes.

CGI cut-scenes for important campaign events during the story

I agree, would really love some that dota 2 stuff on the go, have similar and opposite heroes/leaders say stuff once they kill their counterparts etc etc Tons and tons of things you can do with fun voiced characters

Would also love to see in-game cut scenes. Not just before and after the story but throw some into the middle … i dont know if thats a reality considering time and budget but it would really increase the immersion into the game imo (like it did for warcraft 3 etc)

Ghaleon

I forget if this was already mentioned in a faq somewhere or something. But I’d like it so captured structures slowly develop their own mini-militia…which is either free, or at an extremely reduced cost, or reduce the income generated by the structure.

Manually stationing units in minor structures like mills and mines is generally counterproductive since they often generate less income than it costs to pay for any form of unit upkeep. They need not be significant sentries, but being able to defend themselves against one or two stray wolves or goblin footmen would be nice…

NEHZ

I forget if this was already mentioned in a faq somewhere or something. But I’d like it so captured structures slowly develop their own mini-militia…which is either free, or at an extremely reduced cost, or reduce the income generated by the structure.

Manually stationing units in minor structures like mills and mines is generally counterproductive since they often generate less income than it costs to pay for any form of unit upkeep. They need not be significant sentries, but being able to defend themselves against one or two stray wolves or goblin footmen would be nice…

I’m actually against this. This is what you need to have a mobile army for, you need to keep enemy forces out of your domain. You can’t just let them wander about without being punished for it. If this was introduced, those stray wolves and goblin footmen would be meaningless and raiding tactics that much harder, while simple raiders already can’t do any damage to your slightly defended cities.

I agree with auto militia – you have to understand that is by no means an army.

Understand that … its really stupid to have a single group of t1 walking into a walled city and capturing it … especially when you are able to cast spells across an entire continent.

the common people would go into armed peasant mode, close the gates and hold off the butt faces for as long as they could.

So … spawning 1 or 2 groups of units .. with little to no attack and defence makes sense .. you can limit it to being unable to cast spells for the first few turns or only able to cast x amount of spells for the defender to account for the lack of millitary units reporting to you.

That way you can still blitz cities away from people with fast stealthy units … just .. cant take an entire city with an immense population with 5 guys carrying short swords.. lol

NEHZ

Firstly, a t1 unit is a representation of a squad, something the new graphics will visualize. In reality, a small band of trained, armed fighters occupying a village with people that are way too concerned about making sure there’s food on the table to risk their lives fighting off armed men really isn’t unrealistic. In previous games, you didn’t need much to occupy a village, but you needed more to keep it from rebelling and even more to raze it. If the warband first comes in, those villagers aren’t going to throw away their lives just because someone else collects their taxes. Only when they’re getting fed up will they attempt to rebel.
    If you sacrifice a village by taking all your forces out of it, the enemy can take it without suffering losses. Why would your villagers lay down their lives when you abondened them?
    Secondly, Ghaleon was talking about minor structures, not walled cities. If you’re working a thankless job in a mine and a group of armed men show up, are you going to chase them away in loyalty to your old ruler?

Brother JO

Firstly, a t1 unit is a representation of a squad, something the new graphics will visualize. In reality, a small band of trained, armed fighters occupying a village with people that are way too concerned about making sure there’s food on the table to risk their lives fighting off armed men really isn’t unrealistic. In previous games, you didn’t need much to occupy a village, but you needed more to keep it from rebelling and even more to raze it. If the warband first comes in, those villagers aren’t going to throw away their lives just because someone else collects their taxes. Only when they’re getting fed up will they attempt to rebel.
    If you sacrifice a village by taking all your forces out of it, the enemy can take it without suffering losses. Why would your villagers lay down their lives when you abondened them?
    Secondly, Ghaleon was talking about minor structures, not walled cities. If you’re working a thankless job in a mine and a group of armed men show up, are you going to chase them away in loyalty to your old ruler?

Militia can be implemented for cities.If people of the city likes you they start to form a small militia.More they like you more militia you will get.OR we can have something like Total War style.You get some extra retainers while defending developed cities/castles and faction structures(giants keep/fairy ring etc.

I totally agree with you on other structures.For mines/other structures I don’t think there should be militia or something if you don’t put it yourself and pay for them.

BlaneckW

I also suggested something like militia, but that was before the monster towns or whatever. Towns are not as defenseless with such buffer structures.

Ghaleon

I don’t mind if people disagree, but I think many are looking at the extreme end of it. Like I said, maybe one can hire some kind of defenses at a reduced cost, or at a reduction of that structure’s production. Manually defending stuff would be fine, except as I said this more often than not is completely counter productive since the upkeep wages of even minimal forces far outweighs any income minor structures like mines and mills generate.

Should some random mine have a free archer and 2 sentries? no. But I think there should be some middle ground between that and no defenses at all. Maybe you can hire the local militia to defend the area, automatically engaging any enemies attacking structures within their area of influence. MAybe something like that can exist in your town. Like in aow2 towns had wizard towers that enable you to cast spells in their area of influence. Perhaps they can have some kind of protector’s guild that at different levels of investment/upgrades, has a larger area of influence, and/or perhaps larger defensive forces that automatically engage all attacks against minor structures within a set radius of the town they are built in.

I’m not saying do THAT exactly, but… just something that lets players do SOMETHING to try and defend their stuff other than cities without having to pay more than the things they are defending are worth.

NEHZ

Some kind of auto-patroll within city domain or auto-engage in city range regardless of who’s turn it is does sound interesting.
    Just to make my stance clear: I’m against free defense of minor structures that can stop any kind of payed offense. (ie: in previous games that would mean all offense, don’t know about aow3 yet)

Going back on to the original thread:

·Different resources- stole this idea from Eador. If you haven’t played that, then you should! Quick summary: if you lack the resource for a unit/building, e.g. iron, its gold/gem (mana) cost go up, quite steeply, but you can still build it (provided you have the tech…) Posting a province with the resources puts more gold in your pocket.

·Ability to rename your heroes, if not already in.

· For the auto combat, ability to preset magic use levels, ranged/offensive/defensive emphasis.

· For tactical combat, ability to have pre set formations, stolen from Shogun2:TW.

· Probably far far too late for this, but flying dragons. I know logically the setting down every turn makes a certain type of sense but I am all up for flavour, not just balance, which is notoriously elusive anyway…

Also, allow us to import our own portraits for heroes etc

I have some questions, not meriting their own thread, so I’ll put them here:

What do we know about the hero development paths, I.e. if a hero is a warrior, how does he develop? What are the base classes? Note hero, not leader.

What resource buildings are available? I’m assuming gold mines and mana mines(mines for mana?) And whatever the leaders/heroes produce.

Will the workshop from .AoW be coming back?

Red Key

Map-making tools like this sentient sketchbook that suggests changes and fills in details for you would be awesome! Please at least allow some sort of procedural map generation to modders such as scripts.

rob_james

I am expecting something like this for the intro, complete with cool Netherland accent.

Put those awesome art skills and team to use Len! *whip

brundle

Hi, here’s an idea that is maybe ‘minor’ but is very cool – COULD THERE FINALLY BE SOME ABORDAGE POSSIBILITY WHILE SAILING?

panos_loulos

Not a suggestion – but I’d like to say that I’m a bit disappointed about one and only one thing (of course won’t find anything else to be disappointed with by this perfect “the best turn based strategy”), that is by the fact that -as it seems- a city can’t be surrounded. This reduces the strategic choices in a siege.

Of course that removes the “going around until the turns of the battle end” problem… a “strategic” choice many used.

BUT, when I was surrounded in a small outpost city by three octets of zombies, and I only had a bunch of elves -and they kept resurrecting and resurrecting- it was all about the strategic choices!! (what gate to keep with whom, what magic to do where, when to sacrifice a swordsman for an archer etc.)

…and that’s only one example. You got my point

Anyway, I believe this game will fill just perfectly the huge shoes of its predecessor 😉

Not a suggestion – but I’d like to say that I’m a bit disappointed about one and only one thing (of course won’t find anything else to be disappointed with by this perfect “the best turn based strategy”), that is by the fact that -as it seems- a city can’t be surrounded. This reduces the strategic choices in a siege.

Of course that removes the “going around until the turns of the battle end” problem… a “strategic” choice many used.

BUT, when I was surrounded in a small outpost city by three octets of zombies, and I only had a bunch of elves -and they kept resurrecting and resurrecting- it was all about the strategic choices!! (what gate to keep with whom, what magic to do where, when to sacrifice a swordsman for an archer etc.)

…and that’s only one example. You got my point

Anyway, I believe this game will fill just perfectly the huge shoes of its predecessor ;)

Well technically we are only missing one wall. We still have 3 gates to defend, the old walls are just stretched out along one flank. I am not 100% sold on this new method either, but the more and more i watch the trailers the more i believe (or hope) its a good idea.

I like the thought of .. its a full city were defending now… but im weary of the strategic possibilities we are loosing out on.

But hey, im sure we will have just as many new options with this new format too 😉

Calmar

Allow to change not only clothing colour, but also the skin colour of some races to create things like Elf+evil+rogue class+greenish skin = Dark Elf?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.