Support units passive heal on different terrain types.

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Support units passive heal on different terrain types.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Marcus

Hey there everyone,

I always liked how AoW3 uses the terrain for moral bonuses/penalties and it got me thinking, how can it be used to address some of the issues we have in game?

I was thinking about one of the issues everyone probably felt in game at some point. Orcs, Elves and Goblins are at disadvantage in game because they lack racial heal abilities the other 4 races have in one way or another, be it Priest’s Iron Heart, Forge Priest’s Guardian Flame, Brew Brother’s Nourishing Meal or Draconian inherent Fast Healing bonus.

So what can be done about it? We almost certainly know that in the upcoming patch Support Units will be nerfed one way or another so they will probably see less use, which overall isn’t such a bad thing considering current MP tactics but they should still have sustain their support role in some way.

Suggestion:
    What if the new mechanic can be introduced to Blight Doctors. What if having the Blight Doctor in the stack will give every goblin (and goblin only) unit in the party fast healing. But goblin version of fast healing will be slightly different then Draconian version. It will heal only if the stack with goblin units will end their turn on the blight or swamp hex (maybe with a double bonus if staying on blighted swamp).

Think about it, we already have morale bonuses on specific terrain for all races, so it probably shouldn’t be hard to implement.

Thus it will encourage players to use terrain in one more way and Terraformer/Drench the Land spells will see another uses (to create heal zones for your troops).

I mean, they are the BLIGHT Doctors after all.

The same mechanics can be applied to Orc Priests (on barrens) and Storm Sisters (in Forests).

Imagine the possibilities this can open for other unit types as well if applied for instance to Summons – just leave them on Mana Nodes at the end of the turn to get slight healing buff for one turn (the same they get in combat).

Any thoughts?

GGDevil

I like this idea because it needs ages for goblins (and the other) to heal so they are useless for quite a long time if heavily damaged, while draconians just can keep going without bothering about these things. Also it would make goblins and orcs support units useful I nearly never build them because there are better units for fights. Your suggestion would bring me to build support units as orc or goblin. Storm sisters are quite strong because of their inflict stun, which makes them great damage dealers (shouldn’t be as they were suggested as supports not as carry but this is another issue.

I think the goblin version for example should give something like “minor fast healing” and heal +3 HP per turn if they are on one liked terrain (would be +6 on blighted swamp) otherwise it would be op (I mean +12 HP for every unit if on blighted swamp).

Marcus

It’s funny, racial fast healing on specific hex types made perfect sense to me, especially for goblins. Guess it’s just me.

It’s most definitely not just you! I think it’s a great idea as well. So do a lot of other players, I feel.

edit: Btw, Arcanum was a great game. I used that portrait. Respect.

ExNihil

I agree, also pls return to the other thread to discuss stuff :).

terrahero

The strength of rapid healing for certain racial support units is something they get in exchange for something else. And it can even be something the race in general gets as something to give them an edge.

Elves have very strong archers, i’d say the best tier1 archers. But, their support unit doesnt heal, it does get a CC effect, but not a heal.

Human archers are quite underwhelming, weaker then elven longbowman and if i recall someone did the math that even placed them below razorbows, depending on procs. Humans are fairly unexceptional in general, and not in a good way. But, they do get one really good unit and thats the Priest.

Races have, through varying degrees of strengths and abilities, their own twist. Giving all support units a faster way to recover units, even if situational, would dimish the usefullness of the units that already can. Aswell as the usefullness of races who have this as their edge over other races.

At the same time it demotes playing with varied racial units. As the need to do so is far less severe, i can get good substain as a HE without incorporating a human priest.
    But, now i could be actively punished for race mixing. I have a High-Elf Storm Priest. Why would i bring a Human unit, this unit doesnt get healing from the Stormpriest.
    Or it would force my units who dislike Blight terrain into a severe morale penalty, because other units need it to heal.

So overall, i do not like this idea. The strengths and weaknesses of races take such factors into consideration. But it would also diminish the use (or even outright push away from) mixed armies.

Bob5

I like the foundation of the idea. I just think it shouldn’t just apply to Goblins, but to all races. So Dwarves heal slightly faster on mountains, Draconians on volcanic terrain (because just lava is too rare), Elves in forests, Orcs on barrens, and Humans on Fertile plains, and each of them recovering slightly slower in their hated terrains. Or just link it directly to unit morale, give a unit like +2HP per turn if it is slightly happy, +4 per turn if Happy, +6 per turn for Cheerful or best, and reduce healing rate slightly if they’re unhappy, depending on how unhappy they are (obviously not below 0 for non-regenerating units).

Gloweye

I like to have it depend on morale, but I would half the modifiers – morale is already a pretty strong (but often underestimated) variable. Also, punish it by that 1/2/3 for the states of unhappyness.

I’d also really appreciate it if “camping” at a location would also increase your HP regen – could be a straight x2 as far as I’m concerned.

GGDevil

Enhanced healing, when doing nothing else is a good idea I think. It would make sense at least but I think doubled healing would make draconians or fast healing units very strong as your draconian leader would heal 24 HP because of the 12 life regen (6 for leader and 6 for draconian) maybe it should be something like 1.5x or 1.33x and then round up to the next full HP so faster healing units wouldn’t regenerate so insanely fast but it still has a effect for units with low regeneration.

The idea that morale should have an influence on HP regeneration is also quite nice. I would also prefer, that if your units got bad morale they loose HP (depressed units commit suicide maybe?).

Gloweye

Well, I don’t think Draconian advantage should be taken away. therefore, have them profit too. I actually dont think many draconians will use it – they might not need. Also, since everyone would get it, I think x2 might just be a nice way.

And for heroes/leaders, they all got it, whether they are draconian or not. They got no advantage there.

And low morale lose HP, no. But gain less, im OK with that.

Bob5

And for heroes/leaders, they all got it, whether they are draconian or not. They got no advantage there.

I’m pretty sure Fast Healing stacks. Normal natural healing is 6HP per turn, Draconians heal 12 HP per turn, and Draconian Heroes and leaders recover 18HP per turn without other modifiers (like the green regeneration crystal, prayer of the hurt, healing aura, etc. as those increase it even further).

GGDevil

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gloweye wrote:</div>

I’m pretty sure Fast Healing stacks. Normal natural healing is 6HP per turn, Draconians heal 12 HP per turn, and Draconian Heroes and leaders recover 18HP per turn without other modifiers (like the green regeneration crystal, prayer of the hurt, healing aura, etc. as those increase it even further).

At least the last time I played draconian (warlord) it stacked. I got this one item which gives you 6 regeneration early and my leader regenerated 18 HP per turn in round 6 imagine if this even would get doubled! Yeah it’s just for leaders and heroes but they just have to survive and they basically get the regeneration ability.

Gloweye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bob5 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gloweye wrote:</div><br>

At least the last time I played draconian (warlord) it stacked. I got this one item which gives you 6 regeneration early and my leader regenerated 18 HP per turn in round 6 imagine if this even would get doubled! Yeah it’s just for leaders and heroes but they just have to survive and they basically get the regeneration ability.

This means the Draconian and Hero Traits do NOT stack. you got 6 base, 6 fast healing and 6 from Basket of the Roadside Picknick. (Note that the basket doesn’t give fast healing, rather it says +6 HP regen. Just like Jewel of Forgotten Revival does.)

http://age-of-wonders-3.wikia.com/wiki/Items#Basket_of_the_Roadside_Picnic

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.