Surrender Mechanics: Solution for "HERO-Problem"!?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Surrender Mechanics: Solution for "HERO-Problem"!?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  quo 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

There have been some discussions on this forum about the topic already. I must say love the mechanic and think it is quite well done. Some people seem to love it, some to hate it.
    One thing that has been discussed is the fact that you get the former leader and basically all heros in range of his throne city as heros, messing up your resurrecction plan (if you had one) and ending up with you having a lot more heros than hero limit.

So here is the deal: after accepting the surrendering offer, for each hero you would get thereby a pop up for hero joining offer appears. With the new update, they look even better and you can check stats of your potential new heros more easily. If you do not want them you can just Decline/bann/execute them (or whatever you would call the button).
    And if you are allready at your hero limit you would not be able to accept any of the new heros of course. You would still get the city and the army though.

What do you think?

Why limit the number of heroes at all? Makes no sense. They are not even that strong.

Bouh

You can already fire any hero if you don’t want him… And you can refuse the surrender of course. But apparently some people have psychological problem when they see a surrender they are somehow forced to accept it and keep the heroes.

You can’t force people to do things if they don’t want to do them.

Why limit the number of heroes at all? Makes no sense. They are not even that strong.

Well isn’t there a hero cap in any game? or did they ad an unlimited option? If so that reduces the problem. I never do more than 5-6 heros. But in games with a hero cap this might help.

But apparently some people have psychological problem when they see a surrender they are somehow forced to accept it and keep the heroes.

That’s exactly what I had in mind when suggesting that. nice and easy solution. See it as psychological treatment, if you like, getting to option to accept surrender but refuse the hero right away. But you are right that you can do it your way quite easily as well.
    Yet I had mainly the hero cap in mind when suggesting this.

And you can refuse the surrender of course.

I know this and I am not one of those having a problem with it (see opening post), I was specifically suggesting an option after you accepted surrender already!

esvath

I like to play with hero limit to reflect the rarity of such individuals but also like the opportunity to have more heroes by accepting surrender. I imagine it like a historical conqueror gaining the service of another lord (and his retinue) by subjugating the lord in force first. It adds a role-play atmosphere for me.

Like Bouh, I think that players who don’t want to get heroes should just refuse their surrender. Or, accept the surrender and then disband them manually. Adding pop up dialogue for each surrendering heroes just introduce a unnecessary micro management for me.

vesuvius

Disband them manually. I didn’t know you could do that. How can you disband them manually? I’ve looked for a button on the hero screen but haven’t seen anything.

BB Shockwave

Little red X at the top right. 🙂

I frankly, was surprised that when I killed the enemy leader (and he already lost his city), all his heroes died instantly… I wish they’d become neutral and hireable, like in AOW2

vesuvius

The X on the top right is blue and all it does is close the hero panel. I still cannot find a way to get rid of heros you don’t want (other than sending them out to get killed on purpose). I’m playing the latest 1.53 beta in case that matters.

SiaFu

The hero limit applies only to incoming offers from new heroes and Hero Resurrect (neither work if you’re over the limit).

In 1.4 you could convert, accept surrender etc. from as many heroes as you like.
    I don’t know if 1.5 introduces a hard limit, it’s not in the patch notes.

Mourioche

I’m happy to see i’m not alone to complain about this mecanism
    http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/ressurect-heroes-and-ai-surrender/

You can already fire any hero if you don’t want him.

You don’t understand the problem.

The problem is not if we want to fire the hero or not (and, found me a reason to fire a hero… there is no reason to do this in the game… never.)

The problem is that game mecanism stole you heroes whatever you do (Fire one or cannot raise an other)

Because of this problem, now i play all my game with maximum heroes setting.
    I would prefer to put some max in game setting to reflect rarety of such “special units”, but with actual game mecanism… no.

Gyor

Its not broke no reason to fix it.

Victor5

I’ve always thought it could be far more interesting upon defeating an enemy, to get additional options like discarding/banishing them, as well as being able to execute heroes, just to make the gameplay itself more interesting.

If you execute them, race of the executed hero/leader could be taken into account, dynamically effecting your racial relations across the board (for better OR worse), as well as possible points toward evil alignment.

On the other hand: If you banish them, you could see them appearing at a local bandit camp, coming back to try joining you again (with a monetary bribe perhaps), coming back to try killing you, going off to join a rival faction, or simply disappear altogether.

What do you guys think of these ideas?

quo

But apparently some people have psychological problem when they see a surrender they are somehow forced to accept it and keep the heroes.

Err. This is kind of like saying no unit or spell is actually overpowered, its just that you choose to use the overpowered ability.

The surrender mechanic is kind of ridiculous in 7 AI games. Yes you can simply dismiss some of the heroes, but this isn’t a sandbox game. There really ought to be some kind of limit on acquiring heroes. I personally have encountered situations where I had enough heroes to fill 4 full armies with them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.