Sync'ing to steam

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support General Tech Issues Sync'ing to steam

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ZombieEater 5 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ZombieEater

I play on two computers, my home PC and a laptop. I was very happy to see that the steam cloud save feature was added, so I don’t have to manually port save games between the two machines.

Alas, saving to the cloud works only intermittently. I save the game on machine A with the cloud button checked. I even wait a minute or two before closing AoW3, or shutting down the machine in the hope it will allow the upload to the cloud to complete.

But when I open that cloud-saved version of the file on machine B I often do not get what I saved, but rather the turn that I played last on that machine.

Is there a way to force the cloud update, or at least to confirm that the file was saved to the cloud?

Also, what’s the underlying mechanic? I.e., do I need to leave AoW3 running after selecting the cloud save option? For how long? Same question for shutdown of the PC. Do I need to delay it?

ZombieEater

(How do I edit my post? lol) (Ah, looks like the OP doesn’t have an edit option like other posts.)

I of course have the “sync to cloud” option checked in steam.

Narvek
    Keymaster

Hi ZombieEater,

Sorry for the late reply, we’ve made a case to get this fixed.

Best regards,
    Narvek

ZombieEater

Much appreciated! Lots of games seem to have this issue, even google drive suffers from this, so it looks like a non-trivial issue.

ZombieEater

Any news on this?

I still have the issue that a saved file on one machine doesn’t immediately transfer to steam when I save, nor do I see any indication when this has happened. That would already be a nice feature.

Right now, I have to launch AoW3 on the other machine and see if the save game on steam is the latest. I can’t see this on the machine I’m playing on, because it looks at the local save, which is of course the latest.

Some information that would at least help a little:
    Do I need to let AoW3 run as long as possible to increase chances that the save game transfers? Or the steam app? Or is it enough to just have the PC/laptop powered up and something else in the background takes care of the push to the steam cloud?

SikBok
    Keymaster

Hi ZombieEater,

Just had a quick look at how this works.

The Steam Client synchronizes cloud data before and after the game process is run. So if you want to sync saves you should likely:

1. Save your game.
    2. Exit AoW3.
    3. Give you machine time to sync.
    4. Launch AoW3 on your other machine.

We use the Steam API to interact with the Steam Cloud and as far as I can tell from what I’ve found so far it’s not possible to do implement the features you request.

ZombieEater

Thanks for the quick update. Too bad this can’t be implemented, but I have had similar issues with the google cloud drive, so I’m not too surprised.

And knowing I don’t have to keep AoW3 helps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.