Taunted units not moving on auto in a siege when gates not broken

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support Taunted units not moving on auto in a siege when gates not broken

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hiliadan 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hiliadan

So I discovered a bug at my expense in an auto-battle vs a human in PBEM… I was using the “Mountain Clan” unit from the Westeros v3 mod and map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660725638 but the bug is very likely exactly the same on the base game under certain circumstances.

The Mountain Clan unit has Taunted as a base ability, so it always charges forward to attack enemy units and you can’t control its move. That works fine in “normal” battles.
    But I discovered that on siege battle, the unit just doesn’t move at all until there is a breach in the wall/gate!! It seems the game cannot calculate a path to an enemy unit and so it just doesn’t move. That is despite the fact that the Mountain Clan have Wall Climbing so they could actually climb the walls and go attack enemy units!

I guess a quick fix would be to add gates as valid targets. That might cause some issues if one gate has been broken but another is still standing, and the Taunted unit will then uselessly attack the gate. At the same time, cases where it’s really an issue will be rare, because if the closest target is a gate, that probably means the Taunted unit is outside the walls and should indeed attack the gate to enter.
    Another fix should be to allow the Taunted unit to plot its course through walls if it has Wall Climbing or something equivalent.

Thanks if you can fix this! For the mod and other similar mods, it would be really useful, because right now these units are strongly handicapped in sieges. For the official game, it might be useful too in some rarer cases where defenders taunt a unit when the gates are not yet broken.

Arnout
    Keymaster

Hi Hiliadan, thanks for reporting. Not sure this is actually a bug. Units will only go outside if they have no ranged units, or if the player tries to cheese them with spells and artillery.

Hiliadan

Units will only go outside if they have no ranged units, or if the player tries to cheese them with spells and artillery.

I’m not sure what you mean. I’m talking about defenders using Taunt on attackers outside the walls. Attackers should then move forward and try to go over the wall if they have Wall Climbing, to attack defenders, or try to break the gates. So it’s not about “going outside” but “going inside”. Also, it’s about Taunted, so it’s not about the AI not charging forward when a human player would, but about how Taunted is supposed to work: taunted units should attack no matter what, that’s the point of the ability.

In the specific case of the mod I’m talking about, the way things currently works is a big drawback: the “Mountain Clan” units just sit at their starting position while the rest of the attacking army moves forward (in auto combat) and so the attacking army is split in two and gets more loss than it should if the Mountain Clan units were climbing the walls as they should.

Hiliadan

I’m talking about defenders using Taunt on attackers outside the walls. Attackers should then move forward and try to go over the wall if they have Wall Climbing, to attack defenders, or try to break the gates. So it’s not about “going outside” but “going inside”.

To further clarify, it’s about the AI using Taunted on a human-controlled unit.

Hiliadan

Up as I don’t think it was fixed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.